Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

Cadmus

Arcane
Prime Cunta strikes again.
The LOS are retarded as shit and make the archers annoying as shit to use.
You are fighting a strawman of course because nobody asked for LOS to be realistic.
Look here:
Prime Cunta is a retarded boring monkey, but it's ok because we have bananas we can pull out of addeed's asshole all day so we can feed him on our forum so he can post his fucking moronic, dull, sleep-inducing glowing praise of a review for any boring game with +/-1% stat modifiers fuck my eyes.

Sizzle

Arcane
In Lurker King's lovely make-believe world, this is how game sales are lost and won

I don’t have to anticipate every single though process out there. Blaine said that Codex content has no effect on any potential buyers and I’m saying it has for the simple reason that it exists. My claim is weaker and easier to defend: its game related content can affect games sales just like any other game related content. Saying it won’t because is obscure is nonsense because the game is obscure. Saying that it won’t because buyers already have steam reviews ignores that some players are more cautious look for more information before buying games – I know I do. We can argue about this the whole day and I will always have the edge because I’m defending a weaker claim based on common sense while you are defending that ultra-strong conclusion that nobody would be ever put off by this review.

No, my dear boy, what I'm arguing is that your silly little "This review is long, but it'll have a profound effect on sales even if people don't read it. Because it's long. But they'll still see it's negative. Without reading it. Somehow. Trust me on this." assumption is based on very flimsy reasoning.

Now, as for the review - Darth Roxor has every right to have an opinion about it. As usual, he's edgy, but that's just his shtick. I would also prefer if he didn't write things with a personal axe to grind, but you still get a lot of useful info from his reviews when you cut past his usual pet peeve bullshit.

What you're saying is that he shouldn't have a right to post his edgy review on the Codex, because the BB developers are bros, and they deserve a helping hand (sort of like a strange version of affirmative action) - aka, a nicer review - because of it.

Well, fuck that shit. This isn't fucking Kotaku, reviews here aren't written to be clickbait, drive up site revenue, or make the developers pat each other on the backs so they'd keep sending the Codex free copies of games and stacks of Mountain Dew, they're written to provide a careful and often nitpicky analysis of a game, filtered through the experience of a long-time RPG player, catered to similar long-time RPG fans.

Finally, if you feel the game has been slighted and misrepresented by this review, then, by all means, please - write a different one. Though I trust your ability to remain impartial and write without an agenda far less than I do Roxor's.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
No, my dear boy, what I'm arguing is that your silly little "This review is long, but it'll have a profound effect on sales even if people don't read it. Because it's long. But they'll still see it's negative. Without reading it. Somehow. Trust me on this." assumption is based on very flimsy reasoning.

Here is the first thing I find when I click on the page:

Infinitron said:
As I said a number of times before its release, Battle Brothers was one of the Codex's most anticipated and hyped up games, and its final release appears to have been fairly well-received. A game like that deserves the most prestigious of reviewers. Darth Roxor, however, isn't much into hype. In a review that was as arduous for him to write as the game was to play, he finds Battle Brothers to be a skeleton of a game, containing the basics of a solid combat system but cripplingly repetitive and lacking in content.

So, Infinitron summarizes that the author of the review thinks that the game is shit. He also quote some parts of the review to reinforce this sentiment. A glance on the walls of text actual review says the same thing.

Now, as for the review - Darth Roxor has every right to have an opinion about it.

Why this has to do with the tea on China. We are discussing whether the review can impact negatively on sales. I’m saying it does and Blaine said it didn’t.

hivemind

who gives a fuck even

it's not this websites responsibility to critiquelessly shill every game that is released just because it's turn based or an rpg

the review is fair and points out both the pros and the cons of the game, if some random retard skims it and decides not to buy the game because of it then so fucking be it jesus christ

also alternatively some other random retard reads the review and decides that the 20-25 hours when the game is great is worth the price and buys it

so talking about the impact of this review on sales is both: 1)retarded because you have nothing other than your dumbfuck bellyfeel guestimates to base it on 2) even more retarded because such a thing should never be taken into consideration of anything in the first place

Sizzle

Arcane
Now, as for the review - Darth Roxor has every right to have an opinion about it.

Why this has to do with the tea on China.

We've been over this several times before, but if you're unsure about how to use a phrase, google it beforehand, don't just write nonsense off the top of your head (I'm aware this would severely reduce the number of your posts. Which would be a good thing).

We are discussing whether the review can impact negatively on sales. I’m saying it does and Blaine said it didn’t.

No, what you actually said was:

It’s bad enough that they have to establish themselves with no audience and media coverage without a retard with an agenda trying to hurt their sales. Let's no forget. We are talking about a game made by one of the few remaining talented developers that are actually trying to delivering solid character building instead of geometric shapes for retards.

Basically, you would have no problem if Darth Roxor's review was positive (like you had no problem when his review of PoE, a game you dislike, was negative), but here you consider it a failing of his that he didn't lavish BB with praise, because it's a game you like, and the developer's, like, totally deserve it, because they're indie.

No, in your black or white mind, it simply cannot be that Roxor gave it a negative review because he dislikes much about the game, no, it's because he wants to see the developers fail, their studio burned to the ground, and their families die from malnutrition - he hates them, HATES THEM, so, so much. Seriously, get over yourself. Just because you spend most of your free time scouring the web for negative Age of Decadence reviews you can downvote or ridicule in the comments section, does not mean everyone else loves or despises a particular game enough to make it his life's work to shill/make sure no one buys it.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

How critical do you think Battle Brothers' narrative hook and presentation are to enjoying it? I mean, the basic fantasy of managing a mercenary band in a gritty medieval world with art like this:

hiring.jpg

If that image doesn't immediately make you go FUCK YEAH, does that mean the game will probably be that much less engaging for you?
:betrayed:

And this is pretty much what's wrong with the cult of Battle Bros.

No, that image is about as generic and boring as you can get and the fact that you don't recognize that and admit that maybe the game needs a little something more is a shame.

As with PoE a small group of people are heavily invested in the concept of the game and not admitting its flaws. And as with PoE, other people pointed out said flaws before release to a chorus of "no, no, it's fine! what more could you want?".

So sorry for not scalling to your level, but this kind of ass kissing and fanboyism does nothing to improve RPGs or legless mercenary combat simulators.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
As for buildings, I would have assumed it fairly obvious I didn't expect multi-floored buildings and heavy use of Z axis that would rival Mordheim or X-Com in this game. However, if you are fighting in fortifications, if the game has cover mechanics, if the game has elevation levels, etc, then why for the love of Christ is it somehow unreasonable to expect it to even have something as basic as enemies starting behind a palisade? Or there being a few walled sections, pillars and corridors in ruins?

We get it, you are butthurt because you didn't get a JA2 with crossbows. r00fles! :roll:

Please do tell me how the game would magically transform into something completely else just by sprite swapping trees into tombstones or pieces of fortification? By letting you masturbate at your great strategic prowess as you funnel brainless AI into spearwalled chokepoints? Oh yeah, you could always flank, right? In a game where flanking manoeuvres would take more than several turns.

Guess what? From where I stand, your ideas would've only made the game worse. More RNG based situations where your only choice is to flee the fight. More fights that drag on forever. Or alternatively if we come to our senses and forego large structures, they'd be simply decoration. Why they didn't draw a few sprites worth of tombstones and broken palisades is beyond me, but otherwise it is pretty clear why they opted against having more clutter on the battle maps. If disagree, then remind yourself how much fun fighting in forests and swamps is.

Sure it would be cool to fight in fortifications, town and castles, maybe with destructible environment to boot. But I wouldn't want to do that in BB. Your movement range is way too short for that and the options available are limited. To make it work you'd need to fundamentally change the game design. Which kinda goes beyond sensible critique, don't you think?

It seems the biggest mistake Overhype made with the game was the fact that they went with procedurally generated open world. They should have just slapped in a story, gated the content and put in a heroic ending screen. Hell, they could've even hand-designed a nice boss fight encounter within a sieged city (with fortifications) or something. "Orc invasion scenario completed after 25 hours, bretty gud, can't wait to try the noble war DLC!".

Prime Junta

To make it work you'd need to fundamentally change the game design. Which kinda goes beyond sensible critique, don't you think?
Nigga how saying that there are fundamental problems with the game isn't sensible?

"Fundamentally change the design" != "fundamental problems with the game."

Somebody turned chess and boxing into chessboxing, fundamentally changing the design. That doesn't necessarily mean there are fundamental problems with chess, or boxing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The los mechanics are idiotic
Realistic, no. But then neither are disengagement attacks, armour that absorbs damage until you've hacked it to ribbons, or whirlwind attacks with a two-handed axe. These are all gamey game mechanics for you to use to beat battles. They're only shit if you're a filthy simulationist.
^ why I more or less threw it into the trash instantly. But in my innocence I thought, hey at least they seem to be making a cool hex-crawl-ish tactical CRPG, content might salvage it.

Prime Junta

The los mechanics are idiotic
Realistic, no. But then neither are disengagement attacks, armour that absorbs damage until you've hacked it to ribbons, or whirlwind attacks with a two-handed axe. These are all gamey game mechanics for you to use to beat battles. They're only shit if you're a filthy simulationist.
^ why I more or less threw it into the trash instantly. I thought, hey at least they seem to be making a cool hexcrawl-ish CRPG. lolnope.

Filthy simulationist. :rpgcodex:

hivemind

imo battlebrothers is really good and revolutionary in not only being an ok game but also an amazing IQ estimator based on the length of time during which the subject enjoys the game

<20 hours - estimated IQ of around 85-100
20-25 hours - estimated IQ of between 125-140
25< hours - estimated IQ of roughly 60-70(average for autistic people)

Somebody turned chess and boxing into chessboxing, fundamentally changing the design. That doesn't necessarily mean there are fundamental problems with chess, or boxing.
No, but it would mean there are fundamental problems with "chessboxing". IE, the game. :|

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
To make it work you'd need to fundamentally change the game design. Which kinda goes beyond sensible critique, don't you think?
Nigga how saying that there are fundamental problems with the game isn't sensible?

"Fundamentally change the design" != "fundamental problems with the game."

Your brian on Prime Junta.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
imo battlebrothers is really good and revolutionary in not only being an ok game but also an amazing IQ estimator based on the length of time during which the subject enjoys the game

<20 hours - estimated IQ of around 85-100
20-25 hours - estimated IQ of between 125-140
25< hours - estimated IQ of roughly 60-70(average for autistic people)

What about people who read Roxor's review and thought "Oh, so this is another Darkest Dungeon. Yeah, fuck this game."?

lol, now haba is ignoring me. butthurt continues to flow. news at 11 :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom