Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

DramaticPopcorn

Too many autists flinging shit at each other ITT

Computer games are for kids by the way :positive:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roxor fucking sucks, that's what I read in the review. We deserve no good things, more XCOM is what we deserve if we review gems like Battle Brothers like that.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
The review is right in most parts and even when its not exactly right its close.
The game is essentially a combat demo and was build just by adding stuff around combat.
I was observing this game from the start and to be honest I was really hyped when it start. The development process kill all hope and now I m forever salty.
The tempo of the game was slowed and rewards from combat were diminished, funny and overpowered builds and most of synergies were culled making game really not fun to play.
Its truly encourage grinding and discourage taking risks.
Game is encouraged to play on Ironman but its mechanics work against it.
I still have old builds stored on hard drive and they are actually more fun and what is worse they have more simulation going around that the final ones. Which is a shame.
Most mechanics added just function as a noise around company as it barely effect other parties.
Player is only actor and whole world move around him.

After I finished the final campaign I have no will to come back. And what is worse it was kind of relief that I was wiped.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Well you are right but...
Most of it was in previous old builds(the ones that were actually faster and more fun) and it was over long time. Heck I played a lot of on combat demo when it was just few scenarios to kill some skeletons.
Each build was adding new stuff and I was eager to test it and also still full of hope that some of the parts of the game were just a placeholder.
Not even mention that I just like the games I like and play them until I have enough and them come back later. So the games I like I play a lot.
Master of Orion(the first and the best), UFO:Defense(currently open and modded version), Starsector(former Starfarer), Settlers 2(well yeah), Kohan I played a much more than 1000 hours. And I still have urge to play it more from time to time.
Battle Brothers do not have it. The final build I played mostly because I started YT gameplay and it was more on frustrating end than fun. So this 20-30 hours as stated by reviewer hit the mark. Not even mention that my early hours of game were inflated by craptop I played and lack of any game speed enhancing device(seriously 20 zombies in swamps with rain could take easily more than hour time).
Also game is plain example when lore or what developers state and game itself are different thing.
Game is supposedly be played on Ironman and player is expected to take risks and lose sometime but there goes slow leveling, lack of experienced recruits to replace your veterans and lousy rewards. Its not FTL when you can lose or win game in 1-2 hours and start a new run. Its more like grinding(because game can be unfair and if yous seriously play Ironman you can lose men just because) and then you take risky battle and lose some veterans and you go back to not so easy grind to just level some guys to fill losses. And rewards and pay are just insulting.
Game would be more fun if its go FTL route.
-short, fast scenarios where you can lose men easy, but taking risk is actually rewarding and after finishing them you get unlocks:new maps, new map options, new starting companies, more map customization options etc.
Now its mostly grind and what is worse its have little to zero effect on the global map.
Oh you kill 30 bandits in ambush and destroy their camp with 20 more that terrorized nearby settlements - does not matter as in 5 days when you are coming back they are back.
Of course its vicious cycle of nerf synergy.
In early builds it was easy to make money from contracts, it was nerfed, then players switch to making money by repairing and selling loot, nerfed again, now money is a problem as player can not afford walking around and look for enemy or contracts so towns start giving contracts that spawn enemy sites, that was pointed as immersion breaking but now enemy spawn rate is high and well what you have are plenty of low risk combat with low rewards that still can kill your mercs from time to time and if you try risky combat then you better have big amount of cash and recruits to replace losses as risky combat is unprofitable(or savescum).
All of this lead to tiring gameplay.
And there is level scaling.
Game is not bad. For current year is pretty decent actually. Worth the money, still a disappointment.

set

Cipher
For $30 you get a competent turn-based hex battle system and nothing else. Accurate review is pretty accurate.

It sort of resembles a 2D turn-based Mount & Blade, except it lacks a lot of significant features (like mods, multiplayer, and greater faction management). The game is very vanilla and in dire need of some extra layers of design. And yeah, we don't need C&C here, but even Mount & Blade let me feel more like I was roleplaying in a fantasy war-torn land. I'm just sort of aimlessly wandering about in BB, there's almost no reason to keep grinding. Nothing incentivizes me to explore any given direction. I can't carve out a kingdom for myself. I kill some bandits and then I'm let loose to continue doing that for as long as I like...

As a game, it's definitely missing a lot of reasons to keep playing it, but it got the battle system right so I guess that makes it 3/5 stars? But to be honest, I'd rather play Mount & Blade again, it's not like the turn-based combat in this trumps the faster-paced action-packed 200 actor battles I can have in that game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Most of it was in previous old builds(the ones that were actually faster and more fun) and it was over long time. Heck I played a lot of on combat demo when it was just few scenarios to kill some skeletons.
Each build was adding new stuff and I was eager to test it and also still full of hope that some of the parts of the game were just a placeholder.
Not even mention that I just like the games I like and play them until I have enough and them come back later. So the games I like I play a lot.
Master of Orion(the first and the best), UFO:Defense(currently open and modded version), Starsector(former Starfarer), Settlers 2(well yeah), Kohan I played a much more than 1000 hours. And I still have urge to play it more from time to time.
Battle Brothers do not have it. The final build I played mostly because I started YT gameplay and it was more on frustrating end than fun. So this 20-30 hours as stated by reviewer hit the mark. Not even mention that my early hours of game were inflated by craptop I played and lack of any game speed enhancing device(seriously 20 zombies in swamps with rain could take easily more than hour time).
Also game is plain example when lore or what developers state and game itself are different thing.
Game is supposedly be played on Ironman and player is expected to take risks and lose sometime but there goes slow leveling, lack of experienced recruits to replace your veterans and lousy rewards. Its not FTL when you can lose or win game in 1-2 hours and start a new run. Its more like grinding(because game can be unfair and if yous seriously play Ironman you can lose men just because) and then you take risky battle and lose some veterans and you go back to not so easy grind to just level some guys to fill losses. And rewards and pay are just insulting.
-short, fast scenarios where you can lose men easy, but taking risk is actually rewarding and after finishing them you get unlocks:new maps, new map options, new starting companies, more map customization options etc.
Now its mostly grind and what is worse its have little to zero effect on the global map.
Oh you kill 30 bandits in ambush and destroy their camp with 20 more that terrorized nearby settlements - does not matter as in 5 days when you are coming back they are back.
In early builds it was easy to make money from contracts, it was nerfed, then players switch to making money by repairing and selling loot, nerfed again, now money is a problem as player can not afford walking around and look for enemy or contracts so towns start giving contracts that spawn enemy sites, that was pointed as immersion breaking but now enemy spawn rate is high and well what you have are plenty of low risk combat with low rewards that still can kill your mercs from time to time and if you try risky combat then you better have big amount of cash and recruits to replace losses as risky combat is unprofitable(or savescum).
Game is not bad. For current year is pretty decent actually. Worth the money, still a disappointment.

So in hindsight and after squeezing every ounce of fun out of the game you say it's not fun. Who does that remind me me of? Are you one of these 1337 hour thumbs down steam reviewers?

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I just wanted to shit on Roxors borderline idiotic comparisons with olden Xcom:

Third, the whole “cat in the bag” aspect. It makes sense to randomise rookie stats in a game like X-COM, where all recruits cost the same and can be expected to have similar stat ranges. But in BB, where the hiring cost can range from 100 to 6000, where the recruits have different stat ranges based on background, and where they can also start with their own gear, an additional level or two of experience and crippling negative traits, hiding their stats from you is nonsensical.
There is no logical connection between 'sense' and 'randomiSing rookie stats' in any game. Thats moronic reasoning.
Also, rooks in Xcom dont have similar stat ranges. BY FAR. And if we are doing misplaced comparison, its even worse. Rooks in Xcom vary by a lot by the single fucking fact of Psy... Roxor, u r moran. Tru story.
I repeat, there is no coherent design reason to abhor BB's hiding of stats.

Compare, for example, to X-COM and Mordheim. In X-COM, it’s mostly the gear that matters, while dudes are expendable – and the extended R&D continues to unlock new options for you that stay useful even in case of a total party wipe (blaster launchers, jetpacks, psi, etc). In Mordheim, what is lacking in gear is offset by ability unlocks that can take characters along a multitude of playstyles, and the importance of characters over gear is further offset by giving them much greater survivability than in X-COM & friends.
In Xcom, gear doesnt matter. End of story. Xcom can be fucking OWNED!1 by rooks with rifles. You cant own BBs orks with rooks.

Compare it, for example, to X-COM. Four sectoids with plasma rifles don’t appear like much. But depending on whether they landed or crash landed, in a medium or large scout, on a farmstead, in shopping mall or a jungle, your hunt against them will vary greatly. There is hardly anything of the sort to find in BB.
In Xcom medium or large scount dont matter. Levels dont matter. NONTHING varies in Xcom. I can roflfucking stomp aliens as long as they dont field Psy shit. In BB I cant rolfstomp people.

Out of diligence, I decided to finish at least one full playthrough before writing this review, where “playthrough” I defined as stopping the late game crisis. After the aforementioned first 20 hours, I just kept asking myself “why am I playing this instead of Xenonauts/JA2/X-COM mods/etc” all the time.
If you consider Xenonauts before BB you are literally braindead. End of sad story. Really. No HAIPERBAULL.

Granted, BB ironman loses its appeal after about 30 hours, in that I agree, but until your dudes hit level 9 and teh grind becomes untolerable, the game holds your interest pretty well.

Solid first post, Janice.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
So in hindsight and after squeezing every ounce of fun out of the game you say it's not fun. Who does that remind me me of? Are you one of these 1337 hour thumbs down steam reviewers?
No. Also this 1337 hours are inflated by initiative battle system and AI taking time 'thinking' about movement. I must admit that before speed hack I used to read book on enemy turn(but initiative based system is not great for that).
To be honest earlier builds were more fun to play even if unbalanced and not having many 'features' that was added earlier. Bloat strikes again.
As I said game is worth the money but have plenty of weak points that not make it great.
Overall Early access is a mistake.
I bet I would have different opinion if I did not follow this game from beginning.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
No. Also this 1337 hours are inflated by initiative battle system and AI taking time 'thinking' about movement. I must admit that before speed hack I used to read book on enemy turn(but initiative based system is not great for that).
To be honest earlier builds were more fun to play even if unbalanced and not having many 'features' that was added earlier. Bloat strikes again.
As I said game is worth the money but have plenty of weak points that not make it great.
Overall Early access is a mistake.
I bet I would have different opinion if I did not follow this game from beginning.

The 1337 hour number is just me referring to someone else. In fairness you're nothing like that guy.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

After reading the review i really dont want to spend money,its like nothing is fun and even the music is "good enough".. That will teach those three indies guys to not book advertisement on front page nor giving free trips and goodies!
This will be lesson for others, pay and you get a massage from prima junta 's delicate hands , dont and you are good for merciless roxorisation.

Haha - I don't think they'll mind if I post this:
ZURl1Jz.png
Shout out to Darth Roxor for the culling. The cult convinced me to buy and I burnt out around the 25 hour mark too. Kept trying though, but the lack of any story or reason to continue playing whack-a-mole with various enemies made me give up again. May try again eventually. I dunno.

Even a flimsy story would have been a reason for me to care.

the terrain just begs to be used!
samey levels were another annoying thing. I expected my attacks on forts to be...attacks on forts, not yet another battle in a field.

40k mod when
it's looking like never since there is no mod support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Why the fuck would you care about a review of a game you already bought you subhuman. What kind of retarded argument is this even.

It's p. funny that someone who's been desperate to invalidate the review writing yuge walls of multi-quotes grasping at straws about the mechanics has the nerve to call others fangirls.

Everyone cares about the public perception of a game they enjoy. We want good ideas to succeed and bad ones to fail, basically. Check the many threads about reviews of AoD and Underrail. Those have been discussed at length by ppl who had been playing those games since Beta/EA. So...what kind of retarded argument are you trying to make? Nigga, please. I'd much rather be a "BB Fanboy" than Darth Roxor's personal bitch. :lol:

Clearly this game deserves more reviews, Eyestabber should write one , seeing how passionate he is, there may be some redeeming qualities in that borefest..

Reviewing stuff is not really my thing. I have yet to write one for AoD (I know, I know :negative:). You already know I like the game so I don't think I would add much by writing a review. If you consider it a "borefest" than It's highly unlikely that I'll be able to change your mind. When push comes to shove, the reason why I like BB boils down to core gameplay mechanics aka the thing you're doing 90% of the time.

In his desperate attempt to defend his lover's honor, Excidium completely missed the several quotes I made on the review and stated "yeah, that's right". So my review would basically just say "yeah, it has all those problems Roxor said, but 1) it's not that big a deal and 2) he is completely wrong about perks/stats/mechanics in general, those are really fun and well designed".

If you or anyone else cares about my opinion, here is the gist of it: I like games based on how much I enjoy their core gameplay mechanics (and by that I usually mean "combat" and preparing for MORE combat) + how much challenge those games present AND how many options the game gives me to defeat those challenges. Battle Brothers delivers that and so much more. Whenever you think "ok, NOW we're invincible" the game presents you a new challenge, forcing you to sink or swim. Something like this:

"Are you done with killing Orc Youngs? Then meet their bigger and nastier brothers, the Warriors. OH, and that spearwall thing you used to ROFLSTOMP young orcs? Yeah, good luck using that again!" :P

For some people the fun will stop after they have seen the game pull all the tricks it can pull. But by then you already had like 30-50 hours of fun. For people like me, who simply REALLY enjoy killing things, there is no real upper limit. Burnout is the only limit. I have experimented with tons of different builds, different tactics and it has all been good fun. My longest campaign lasted around 550 days but on YT you will easily find dudes with THOUSANDS of days in their games. Like this dude:

But, yeah: if you actually played the game and had zero fun killing Hoggart the Weasel + a couple other encounters then you will NOT like this game, period. The good old "it gets better" argument is NOT applicable here.

Strangely though, the Codex Curator has already recommended this:

"Lead a mercenary company in this open world sandbox strategy-RPG. Think Mount & Blade with turn-based tactical combat and a unique board game aesthetic. Recommended"

Dissension in the ranks? What's funnier is that the 'curator' which I guess is Infinitron, doesn't even have the game yet is recommending it.

So Dickstabber, you should know that the 'zero hours' argument works both ways :lol:

I'm as close to the Administration™ as marxism is close to being an ideology for mentally sane people. I have no say in the Curator thing.

As much as I don't feel disappointed with the release version, all the things this guy said are true. In EA the game used to be WAY faster and camps/armies were rarer. Some people complained about the length (or lack thereof) and they went overboard with "fixing" the problem. I think they are aware of the grind issue, maybe 1.1 will "debloat" things a bit. I also agree with the "not very rewarding" part.

I also feel like they screwed up with magical (or "unique") items since those only show up in shops and VERY arbitrarily in camps. I remember getting an awesome noble armor after whacking some skeletons in a not very challenging fight and then getting some rotten meat + some trade goods after killing an orc warlord + his army and burning down his camp. RNG >>>> actual challenge when it comes to giving out rewards.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I'm as close to the Administration™ as marxism is close to being an ideology for mentally sane people. I have no say in the Curator thing.
as an unofficial memeber of the codex staff (meaning that I have made many sad and pathetic attempts to become staff and been cruelly ignored - btw, i see it coming and pls don't change my username to staff), I can tell you that the curator has never met an RPG it could not recommend. it is an RPG whore.

cruelio

Savant
It's hard to fault the curator for anything since to this day this very website gives front page space to any kickstarter flop whose brand manager will post on the forum for five seconds.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Be interesting to see what the 1.1 patch brings. I don't expect content much but there should b some good tweaks. I have to say it has been very stable and smooth running.

Tigranes

Arcane
as an unofficial memeber of the codex staff (meaning that I have made many sad and pathetic attempts to become staff and been cruelly ignored - btw, i see it coming and pls don't change my username to staff), I can tell you that the curator has never met an RPG it could not recommend. it is an RPG whore.

are you saying chris avellone is our curator

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"Muh, cult!!!"
"Nah, YOU'RE butthurt!" - Your arguments in a nutshell.

You've already grasped at so many straws in this thread, you could probably set up an effigy just so that you may burn it down with your nuclear ass fire. So far, you've done very little other than put words in my mouth, accuse me of having some kind of an agenda, invent the typical raging fanboi crever predicshun of "HAHA U JUST GOT OWNED AND NOW UR LAYING OUR FRUSTRATION!!!!", etc. It only gets better once you let loose the torrent of autism and spill things such as "ZOMG didn't you LOOK IT UP ONLINE???? YOU COULD HAVE JUST CHECKED OEN OF MY MANY GUIDES!!!!" which only reminds me of that one guy who invaded my Mordheim review comments and said I was full of shit on my point about money being tight in that game, because if I did the equivalent of dancing a jig while standing on my head on a full moon and Checked Some Streamers (tm), I woulda seen that it's not tight at all!

Like, just the rest of your post.

Your argument is a non argument. First you tried to "prove" that the game is poorly designed and perks don't change much (aka the "perks don't matter" argument that applies to a lot of games, but no BB). When cornered by myself and others you changed to "but but, it only adds numbers!".

"When cornered by" "you changed it to". Somehow you are assuming my stance on anything here has changed, when it remains just the same.

Further, you're quite obviously misunderstanding what I wrote if you say I tried to prove that perks "don't change much" and "don't matter", and it gets even better when you somehow try mock-quoting me on saying that "none of my builds worked". Now, let's see wot we can find in ze revioo...

Now, the perks are a bit tricky. Their functionalities vary greatly, from new active abilities to passive stat bonuses, and so does their usefulness. As you play, you will soon start noticing that some of the perks are very devious trap options, while others are must-haves to even make some combinations viable. This isn’t necessarily bad, but what’s much worse is that once you pick the few “must-haves”, you’ll notice you've run out of perks to take and are just comparing what’s left in terms of which is the least useless.

:philosoraptor:

And then you just about go ahead and subconsciously agree with me by posting three pictures of characters that have what taken? GIFTED. Aka the "There's no perk left here that looks any useful, just give me some free stats instead" perk.

And those numbers are the difference between actually winning and giving the game a fair review and getting your ass handed to you and then writing a butthurt piece in order to exact revenge on those evil indie devs that had the audacity to release and actually challenging game that actually DEMANDS that you fucking L2P.

See, and here's the OMG U JUST CANT L2P AND GOT REKT NOW ITS ALL AGENDA.

You know who was saying the same? PoE fanbois. The line of rhetoric was absolutely the same and about as anchored in reality.

I've played dozens upon dozens of gaemz that were "actually challenging" and "demanded for me to L2P". Some of them I've reviewed here and praised for just that. Atm I'm playing Wizardry 6. Yet it is Battle Brothers, the game of one trick ponies aplenty, that finally proved insurmountable and put a wedge in me skull and kicked my ass so hard that I just HAD to come here and exact terrible vengeance on someone who'd dared challenge me, smoldering with generic rage as I was.

Yes, it all adds up. You got me. Itz all a part o' my evil agenda to discredit some people I can't even name. Perfectly sound logic right there.

Also, I'm sorry for not putting in the 500 hours required into this game and checking your many guides to l2p for real. But have you also perhaps considered that past a certain point I was already so bored with this game that checking all these many guides and min-maxing every dude I had to the absolute max was just not something I even felt compelled to do?

It's quite telling that the people cheering you up in this thread are ALL just fangirls with pompons and around ZERO hours clocked in Battle Brothers. They are here to ride your dick, not discuss the game. And that is the very essence of Decline.

i could just as well say it could be telling that the ones up in arms and demanding my hanging in this thread are all just fangirls of the game who are upset someone dared to say bad things about their favourite boys band

fortunately i give 0 fucks who replies to my reviews and so should you

But NO. Instead of sticking to valid points

There are two paragraphs about perks in the whole review. The whole review is like 9 pages.

If only I had stuck to valid points!

you just HAD to make up bullshit about the core gameplay mechanics you don't understand because...butthurt? E-creds? Being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt?

And here comes the agenda again.

Yeah, man, I'm so new around here that I really need the cred to fit in.

Naw, I kid. I just get paid $$$$$ for every hit on every review, so I need to maximise the clickbait.

You deserve another NuXcom/Civilization 5/Tiberium Twilight etc.

Another favourite of mine. The butthurt fanboi rage is seeping out of this through and through.

You are saying this as if it was supposed to make me give a damn. I'm not reviewing intentions, I'm not reviewing the situation of [current_year], I'm not reviewing how much of a cool guy a developer is, and neither am I reviewing how many posts he has on RPG Codex. I'm reviewing the end product, and even though I'm not really getting anything out of it, I still treat this seriously enough to uphold some damned standards and try to dispose of factors external to the game itself that could influence my review. Which is also another thing to stress yet again for you and all the other dumbfucks that keep bringing this out in all other review comments as well - I have no stakes in those reviews and trying to paint me as having an agenda of some sort only makes you look like a retard.

What you're clearly implying here is "who cares if the game is flawed, have you seen the competition????????". Sure, I've seen it, I've seen its competition past and present. But just because its present competition is terrible (which also isn't true by a long shot, you have only yourself to blame if you play AAA mainstream crapola the likes of nuxcom), it doesn't mean that Battle Brothers being a cut above it excuses any of of its idiotic design decisions, and primarily does it neither excuse its lacklustre aspects in comparison to older representatives of the genre. Bitch, if you want your games compared to the Latest Hits (tm) such as nuxcom or fallout 4, you take your ass and haul it the fuck out to IGN.

I also happen to be a fan of blobbers, which have been dead for years, and despite this I absolutely hated Might and Magic 10, which was a terribly designed mess that was just not fun to play. Back then I faced the same "argument" too - "but trololoxor, this is the first turn-based blobber in years how can you hate it?! can't you see the GOOD INTENTIONS???" - what the fuck does that even have to do with anything? "You failed, have an A for effort"? Next thing you'll be telling me is "you gotta buy Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for Black Isle to have the funds to do Fallout 3!", which is the same kind of idiotic rhetoric and make-believe, just from a different angle.

Thane Solus

Arcane
i agree that it has major flaws, and if they are smart, the 4 man team will fix them in time and get more sale, but still Darth you are edgy shitlord. 4 Man team makes a game flawed, but better than anything i probably played in the last 7 years, beside Darkest Dungeon (which way too repetitive and inferior to this imho, but still good shit) and a few similar games and you trash it at the end. For their first 3+1 man game, its a fucking masterpiece, even if the flaws are clear and there. I havent had so much fun since Mount and Blade Warband.

The combat is pretty dam good, helped by a great sound made by third party company, the world map while is mostly scripted, its random and it provides a lot of challenges and diversity and playing on Ironman changes the game, just like it made Xcom NU playable.

GJ Staff! You pick the most retardo reviewers, are you competing with Kotaku and IGNz?

Imho its 10 times better than XCOM NU with shit mods or Xenonauts. GJ shit lord! comparing a 4 man team with 50k budget to some 20 to 50 man teams.

/triggered...

Got nothing against you Darth, but thats a shity review... What triggered me the most was the ending of course (you assume that everybody is like you), but you snowflakes know nothing about game development so wth i am expecting from you... They are maybe another 5 games from the last 7 years made by 4+/- man teams that reach the same level or better, and you guys trash it cause you got used to that triple A cum so much.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright because I see that I will gather "butthurt" reactions let me also make some "constructive" criticism.
Also notice that I have approximately 160 hours of playtime and I bought the game about a week before release.

Most of Roxor's point are correct, the problem is that he emphasizes on every little problem the game has and the positives are side-notes in the review.
We're talking about a TB-tactical game with excellent AI, really good tb combat system, good procedural generation, fantastic art style and that is based in an idea that few games approached so successfully before. Not to mention the dynamic world which , yes could have been much more "simulated" but still will create situations that you wouldn't see in other games. Like finding two enemy parties fighting or luring an enemy group into a patrol or assisting a random caravan that was ambushed and so on

I guess the main issue is that it didn't click for Roxor specifically (as for me 15-20 hours are way too few to even experience 60% of the enemies - unless you savescum and play in Beginner difficulty) but this assault in such a polished indie title (did we mention that there are literrally no bugs?) of a genre that is so frequently shat on is extreme decline for the Codex imo.
This is a title the Codex should be promoting in order to get more in the same direction.

**EDIT: I forgot to mention the music, man the music is brilliant.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom