Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Israfael

Arcane
Bought the game, it's around 23$ in Russia on non-steam stores, for some arcane reason, so temptation was too strong. Since i watched sexbad stream and the gamasutra streams - are mimics supposed to spawn before you go to the 'get the card' zone? The first one attacked me basically after I picked up the wrench and destroyed the faux 'aquarium' thingie in the hallway, two others attacked me before I even reached the door where a scientist was eaten by a mimic who then multiplied into 4 small ones. is it possible to get the code for the safe where the taser is or is it the usual 0451?

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Bought the game, it's around 23$ in Russia on non-steam stores, for some arcane reason, so temptation was too strong. Since i watched sexbad stream and the gamasutra streams - are mimics supposed to spawn before you go to the 'get the card' zone? The first one attacked me basically after I picked up the wrench and destroyed the faux 'aquarium' thingie in the hallway, two others attacked me before I even reached the door where a scientist was eaten by a mimic who then multiplied into 4 small ones. is it possible to get the code for the safe where the taser is or is it the usual 0451?

To get that code you need to watch the video in your office. Code to that office is 0451.

duke nukem

Augur
This is dead in twitch..you can get first position with 200 viewers most of the day and today morning top streamer was tranny.:| Already dropped from steam top sellers.:lol:
Also, FYI, Lab Tech should also allow you to upgrade one of the most powerful weapons, the stun-gun. Don't underestimate it, it's well worth upgrading, especially it's range. It works on almost anything.

Prey should be praised for the fact that all the weapons work substantially differently, though. None of them are simple duplicates or damage-dealers. They all fill a unique role.
:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, none of them are simple damage dealers except shotgun, pistol, wrench and q-beam.:lol:
And none of them are long ranged weapons.

Stun gun is only worth using against humans and robots. Shotgun deals rest of them. Pistol purpose is just to kill those exploding meat balls, its nice against weavers too. Q-beam is best

I have seen 2 streamers having save bug that prevented saving and i also had this. Considering i have watched 4 streamers more than 20 minutes, save problems are quite common.

How convenient that we can never verify this ;)

PS. I watch Prey streams everyday and no streamer had problems with the saves. Not even crashes. But I guess I did not look hard enough ...
Yeah,i talk about other save bug. I have not seen corrupt bug, but there is other save problem that disables quick-save and normal saving. That save bug is not so dangerous as save corrupt, because at least you can fix it just by traveling another location and back. Just annoying as fuck.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Stun gun is only worth using against humans and robots. Shotgun deals rest of them. Pistol purpose is just to kill those exploding meat balls, its nice against weavers too. Q-beam is best

Stun gun works wonders on Phantoms.

Crossbow is the best for Cystoids.

Pistol is good for Telepaths and Technopaths.

And there are a few Typhon abilitied for ranged damage.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, none of them are simple damage dealers except shotgun, pistol, wrench and q-beam.:lol:
And none of them are long ranged weapons.

Most of this simply isn't true. The shotgun, pistol and wrench are all damage-dealers, but they all work substantially differently; the shotgun does fuckall at long range, is loud, but has huge short-range damage. The wrench is a silent melee weapon and consumes stamina when used and can be charged for huge backstabs if you have the right talents (or whatever it's called) and never uses any kind of ammo. The pistol is a silenced, accurate weapon that is brutally effective mid-range and can easily be used for taking pot-shots; when upgraded, it can (strangely) also be used effectively for sniping - especially easy if you zoom in, since you've de facto got a scope at all times.

The Q-Beam is not a simple damage-dealer, but must be used semi-exclusively to charge enemies up until they explode. It doesn't actually do any damage at all until that time, but is effective at taking out very strong single but slow opponents when fully upgraded, or taking out partially wounded strong but slow opponents earlier on. But it's extremely circumstantial and slow, especially since you often cannot kill some stronger opponents without reloading at least once (unless fully upgraded - I think that you can kill any single run-of-the-mill opponent with a single Q-Beam magazine, if the weapon is fully upgraded, but it's still slow and if they get away you just wasted all your ammo, while real damage lasts "forever" and does not decay on it's own).

If you're using the pistol for taking out cystoids instead of using the Huntress Boltcaster, you're quite literally fucking retarded, wasting ammo, and if there's too many too fast for taking out with the Huntress, already attacking you, you use a shotgun. You would never use the pistol for this unless you're dumber than a sack of bricks.

Also, both the pistol (as mentioned) and the Q-Beam are effective at long ranges, as is the Huntress.

Finally, the stun-gun is effective not only against humans and robots; it is effective against almost all opponents except the Nightmare (partially) and the Voltaic Phantoms (completely immune). It is a waste to try to use it against Mimics, because you can just wrench them to death or freeze them with GLOO instead of trying to hit the bastards with the stun-gun, likely wasting resources, but the stun-gun is tremendously effective against (non-Voltaic) Phantoms, Poltergeists, all Operators, Telephats, and especially Technopaths.

If you haven't discovered any of this by yourself, even though the game pretty much straight-up tells you half of these things, then you're just more of the mouthbreathers that this game is wasted on. I would've wanted to see more options too - I especially lament the lack of a laser rifle and/or laser-pistol (especially since these weapons feature in the game) as well as the lack of flame-weapons (jury-rigged flamer comes to mind, or makeshift incendiary grenades), especially since multiple enemies are susceptible to fire damage, but again, credit where credit is due; the weapons that are in the game are all substantially different and diverse in usage and application. To claim otherwise only marks you as a r e t a r d.
Mimics start harassing you and fucking with your mind from the get-go. Nothing is safe. Fear everything. Like stated, the code is 0451, and the only way to find it legitimately is to watch a recording of yourself, where it can be seen if you look to the side of the Looking Glass screen, since it's recorded before the code was wiped from the whiteboard.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I sure hope Nightmare difficulty is actually challenging, because I'm at Cargo Bay on Hard and I've already almost completed all security skilltrees, am carrying 30 medkits, have enough ammo to last me a lifetime, maxed out everything relevant on my weapons and what not
I'm not sure whose genius idea it was to let you craft upgrades and neuromods

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I sure hope Nightmare difficulty is actually challenging, because I'm at Cargo Bay on Hard and I've already almost completed all security skilltrees, am carrying 30 medkits, have enough ammo to last me a lifetime, maxed out everything relevant on my weapons and what not
I'm not sure whose genius idea it was to let you craft upgrades and neuromods
Yeah, nah, Nightmare isn't really hard, either, and the resource management/"leveling" is likely my key critique of the game. By the end of the game, playing on Hard, I had maxed out all my non-psionic skill-trees and taken all the Remote Manipulation abilities (surprisingly useful), all the Psychoshock abilities (oh god so insanely fucking powerful), and a single point in Mindjack (which turned out to be pretty much wasted, because I took it to avoid killing civilians that had been brainwashed, and there's extremely few of those in the game, sadly).

It lead me to realize that to play a playthrough in which I never take any psionic abilities, I'll actually have to stop taking abilities at all long before the game is over.

Allowing the crafting of neuromods was indeed a really bad idea, especially if you're a completionist. There's a lot of neuromods already in the game, especially in the beginning, and I must've crafted several dozen extras. I think they did it to give retards that don't explore a viable option, but it means that if you're a completionist explorer type kind of player, you end up with more neuromods than you really should get. It also completely shits on your motivation to play different kind of characters, since in the end, you'll always end up with at least all the basic stuff anyway. There will never be a game where you don't take all Leverage, all Hacking, and all Repair abilities unless you consciously want to shoot yourself in the foot for some reason.

I remember the nu-Deux Ex games had the same issue and it was just as shitty. No exclusive choices or differing alternatives, it's all same-same because you'll always sorta take the same.

I guess it's marginally different if you decide to go full-on Psyker, I guess, but it still feels like it lacks a lot of substance. The general choice between scientist/engineer/security should be at least somewhat meaningful. But on the other hand, "security" still feels like such an odd alternative considering the characterization of Morgan to begin with, so to me it would always feel awkward to play a "Marine" playthrough, whereas in System Shock 2, you didn't have the baggage of a pre-generated character narrative. That, alongside the fact that you're forced to be a lesbian if you play a woman, really grinds my gears.
Probably some tranny trying to inject bitcoin miners like fitgirl.
...fitgirl injects bitcoin miners?

Uhm..

Not that I would know what fitgirl is or would ever engage in piracy.

Also, well, shit.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm almost willing to consider a no-crafted-Neuromods/Upgrades run next time because of how unbalanced this shit is, and if there's one fucking thing I hate having to do most it's restricting myself like in Dishonored

Habbonovio

Educated
It's a solid game, but the corrupted save files bug was game breaking and I had to stop playing till they fixed it (I assume they were relatively quick patching it cause some IGN shitbag gave them a bad score).

Also, the ending was irredeemable trash
it was just a test, but you played like an edgy sociopath so we are resetting the simulation till you act like a lawful/good boy!

The plot is unimaginative, dull and the game is plagued with forgettable characters. I killed them all once I completed their respective quests, of course.

The enemy design also lacks imagination (elemental phantoms, really?), the only ones I enjoyed were the mimics and they can get pretty repetitive and obnoxious cause some areas are just filled with them.

Typhoon powers are amusing but OP as fuck, and if you go for the "become the alien" route nobody will stand a chance against you. I finished the first campaign in hard mode, but it was a walk.

On the other hand I had lots of fun exploring Talos; there are multiple suit improvements and powers that allow you to reach every corner of the spaceship and to ambush the enemies in lots of different ways, and the game rewards this methodical exploration which is great.

It's a 7,5 for me. The only disappointment comes from believing that most of its flaws are obvious and the game just lacks polish.

Habbonovio

Educated
I'm almost willing to consider a no-crafted-Neuromods/Upgrades run next time because of how unbalanced this shit is, and if there's one fucking thing I hate having to do most it's restricting myself like in Dishonored

I agree with you, the sad thing is that for me being able of using those powers is essential, cause it's the fun part of the game imo.

I mean, without the typhoon powers I'd rather play Alien Isolation again, a much better game than this one in every possible way.

Siel

Arcane
Patron

I mean, without the typhoon powers I'd rather play Alien Isolation again, a much better game than this one in every possible way.

How about no lol

Siel

Arcane
Patron
How about no lol

What aspects do you dislike about Alien Isolation? Just curious, cause I didn't expect such an effusive negative reaction.

I didn't dislike the game. It was enjoyable sure but I don't know how you can point out Prey's lack of enemy variety and say Alien Isolation is a better game in every aspect lol.
Alien Isolation was challenging and had some nice atmosphere, but that's all there was to it. Level design was fairly mediocre (if not bad), world building decent but miles away from Prey.
I wouldn't even compare the two games because Prey definitely is more ambitious in every aspect.
Sure Alien was a challenging game but so what? That's almost all there is to it.

Habbonovio

Educated
How about no lol

What aspects do you dislike about Alien Isolation? Just curious, cause I didn't expect such an effusive negative reaction.

I didn't dislike the game. It was enjoyable sure but I don't know how you can point out Prey's lack of enemy variety and say Alien Isolation is a better game in every aspect lol.
Alien Isolation was challenging and had some nice atmosphere, but that's all there was to it. Level design was fairly mediocre (if not bad), world building decent but miles away from Prey.
I wouldn't even compare the two games because Prey definitely is more ambitious in every aspect.
Sure Alien was a challenging game but so what? That's almost all there is to it.

I wasn't thinking about the enemy variety, to be honest.

The enemy design also lacks imagination (elemental phantoms, really?), the only ones I enjoyed were the mimics and they can get pretty repetitive and obnoxious cause some areas are just filled with them.

And I truly believe that working joes were a far better designed foe than Prey's generic turrets and drones.

Prey has neither variety nor quality on that field and it's an action-adventure game, not a survival horror like Alien Isolation; it's obviously more focused on combat so I think the lack of enemy variety and the non existant charisma of those enemies hurts it much more.

Also, I just made that silly comparison between games that clearly belong to different genres cause I thought that if you took away the typhoon powers from Prey all you have is a crippled game that looks more like a poorly developed survival horror than an action-adventure game.

About the level design, I certainly wouldn't say that Alien Isolation's one was mediocre, but aye, Prey is definitelly better at it and that's one of its strong points. I had a great time exploring Talos, as I said previously.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So there is this good Russian bald man who created a demo version for anybody interested.
You can find it on the usual shady places where bold people upload stuff.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Early reviewers complained about not becoming OP after a point but even without alien powers I'm OP as fuck ?!?
Maxed weapons with "bullet time" kills everything very easly also I was able create a lot of death areas with 3-4 upgraded turrets. You can easliy become death incarnate with alien powers and probably have more fun.

I have also 19 neuromods sitting in my inventory...

Hines

Savant
ow supportive of bethesda they really are.

I bought it from some shady third fourth worldian CDkey site. I'm pretty sure not a single dime went to Bethesda.

As if these beautiful men need any of your money.
Todd+Howard+Robert+Altman+Fallout+4+Video+4zrQD1jxoK3l.jpg

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Early reviewers complained about not becoming OP after a point but even without alien powers I'm OP as fuck ?!?
Maxed weapons with "bullet time" kills everything very easly also I was able create a lot of death areas with 3-4 upgraded turrets. You can easliy become death incarnate with alien powers and probably have more fun.

I have also 19 neuromods sitting in my inventory...

How about you grow up and stop whining a video game isn't forcing artificial difficulty on you? Maybe you should go back playing your souls faggotry where you will be able to do the same fucking combos for 16 hours fighting the same scripted peasants and rehashed bosses. So hardcore!
Or maybe you could fucking man up and make actual choices instead of waiting the game to tell you how to play. Pyshoshock is too OP? How about you don't upgrade it? Too many neuromods? How about you don't fucking craft them? :roll:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom