Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Skullstone - a 3d grid-based dungeon crawler, inspired by Dungeon Master, Stonekeep, LoG, Ishar etc.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
There are some good action RPGs and some shitty TB RPGs. And there's pleasure in variety, too. Each game has its own way of delivering fun.

Mortmal

Arcane
I ain't gonna lick nobody's balls just because they make vidyagaemz.

They get in here they get the expected codexian treatment.

Of course not , but you give the same treatment to everyone, you are honest at it , while i am seeing double standards from other codexers.

Exactly. If a developer comes here, and actually is making something that is INCLINE, hell yes. We are here for you. If you are just going to make boring carbon copies of crap, well then, what do you expect?

Yes but quoting the guy whole post and repliyng "fuck you", or just insulting them , i think thats too much and wont encourage anyone to come here . I understand you and some others dont like Dungeon master clones , but that was a big thing back then (specially chaos strikes back) and still has some following. Maybe the guys are passionnate and like what they do.

Its just bullying , its not like you guys are so much interested in good turn based games , there's never any news about them anymore(yes they exist) only PR stuff for fargo and obsidian.None of those games(wl2 POE) could be considered as real incline, above average at best.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Of course not , but you give the same treatment to everyone, you are honest at it , while i am seeing double standards from other codexers.

Yes but quoting the guy whole post and repliyng "fuck you", or just insulting them , i think thats too much and wont encourage anyone to come here . I understand you and some others dont like Dungeon master clones , but that was a big thing back then (specially chaos strikes back) and still has some following. Maybe the guys are passionnate and like what they do.

Its just bullying , its not like you guys are so much interested in good turn based games , there's never any news about them anymore(yes they exist) only PR stuff for fargo and obsidian.None of those games(wl2 POE) could be considered as real incline, above average at best.
Pray tell what are the good Turn based games released in the last year?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
At the end of a very long road OP will look back on a pile of work in the attempt to capture someone else's glory, but AWESOMER! People don't undertake these types or projects except for three reasons: #1 to learn how to make a game, #2 for recognition and prestige, #3 for money. Maybe they accomplish #1 and if that is an interest then they can call it a success. Anything other than that and I suggest that they will look back and their heart will ache because others have failed before them because RT blobers are meh and LoG fully milked that cow.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
At the end of a very long road OP will look back on a pile of work in the attempt to capture someone else's glory, but AWESOMER! People don't undertake these types or projects except for three reasons: #1 to learn how to make a game, #2 for recognition and prestige, #3 for money. Maybe they accomplish #1 and if that is an interest then they can call it a success. Anything other than that and I suggest that they will look back and their heart will ache because others have failed before them because RT blobers are meh and LoG fully milked that cow.
:salute:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More boring real-time dancing garbage. Where the hell is our TURN-BASED incline?

Yeah, well, I actually like real time...

... in single-char first person action RPGs and Diablo clones. In blobbers, it is shit and turn based is the better option in 99.999% of all cases.

More Might and Magic and Wizardry, less Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master please.

Anna Bury

Barely Literate
Developer
OK, two months passed, now it's time to show you guys what we've done with the feedback I'd received from you (well, some of you).
Although we didn't introduce turn-based combat (yep, the game's still a blobber), we tried to make combat more interesting and diverse, as well as to get rid of "dancing". One of our team members has done this little video, to illustrate what we've come up with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhi5vpfB1A

There are two things mentioned:
1. Mobs' immobilizing abilities: spider's web is just an example. There will be quite a lot of enemies that will be able to bind/freeze/petrify/slow down party members (these effects will differ slightly).
2. Changing the character of dungeon encounters: instead of one strong enemy, you'll get a room with a pack of weaker mobs of various kinds, so there won't be much room for dancing.

Of course that's not all, as there are also some smaller things to be done in order to balance combat.

Just to make things clear: we definitely won't ban dancing completely (to do so, we'd probably have to abandon real-time combat). Our aim is to avoid situations, when dancing or hit&run is NECESSARY to kill an enemy.
Personally, I doubt that players will dance around the opponent, if they are not forced by the game to do so.

Lhynn

Arcane
Personally, I doubt that players will dance around the opponent, if they are not forced by the game to do so.
You are too naive, if it helps their survivability or keeps them from using consumables they definitely will.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I agree with the others, there are simply too much indie rt blobbers in the making so you could make a standing. What exactly do you have against turn based combat? Look at Underrail, look how well the game has done since Styg decided to change the combat to TB, look how every goddamn codexian is gushing about the game like a 13 year old girl about Justin Bieber....

Dont you also want that affection? Dont you want our love?

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Man I love games like these - you can basically just pick them up and start playing right away with their simple, yet fun rules. Awesome!

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Blobbers are very much niche, so aiming for that market is risky, even more so when you have RT combat. As others already mentioned, see LoG2 (how good this could have been with tb tactical combat..).

I would investigate the possibilities of making the combat tb. Among the blobber buyers, that is proabably preferred.

FrozenShade

Blacktorch Games
Developer
Hi.

In case that someone here may care about Skullstone's progress I put here some fresh screenshots.
Yes, we are still alive, got Greenlight on Steam in 18 days without paying for ads and votes. And despite all the flame here we continue our work to bring you (or those of you who want it) a nice and enjoyable game.

Last edited:

Nyast

Cipher
Will buy. Although the resemblance to Grimrock ( not just the tilesets, but also the UI ) is disturbing.

Alkarl

Learned
You aren't really selling me here. Especially not with the aforementioned Grimrock similarities.

Why should I play this over Grimrock, EOB, Dungeon Master, Stone Keep, or any of the plethora of other real-time square-dancers?

Basically, whats so different about your approach that it merits my time, and most importantly, the spending of my money?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom