Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
How is the secondary market for ships now? has it tanked or still going strong on hope and dreams?

Blaine, are you still following the biz?

Disgruntled

Savant
This is why they call it development *hell* i suppose. The project is neither delivering on its promises or showing the mercy of ending itself. We had rumors they were going bankrupt a year ago, yet here they are making more absurd stretch goals (seriously, they cant get 5% of the original landing locations done, now they are talking about building all the planets/moons)

Feels like CIG would rather keep itself in the business of selling dreams than actually trying to ever finish the game. I wonder just how long they have been self aware about it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The probelm there is that it can't genuinely be development hell because there hasn't been any intention of actual development effort to be made once they realized they can just scam people by selling empty promises.

Morkar Left

I was expecting Star Citizen to take a looong time to get made. What caught me by surprise is that they can't even deliver Squadron 42 which should be pretty doable considering CoD Infinite Warfare. I guess I lost 50 bucks for good...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
For anybody that knows what Star Citizen is really about in terms of technology and R&D, comparing it with CoD is like comparing apples with oranges.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
“If you look back on the initial campaign promises and stretch goals, we only promised to put a small team together to investigate Procedural Technology for the game, not to dramatically expand the game by making every planet and moon explorable. But because of the continued support, we were not only able to hire the world class team we have in Frankfurt, and then allow them to make rapid progress in developing technology that will deliver Crysis-quality planets, we were also able to make the decision to go all in and deliver fully realized worlds and moons to visit and explore.”
Wow, Crysis is only a ten-year-old game!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
“If you look back on the initial campaign promises and stretch goals, we only promised to put a small team together to investigate Procedural Technology for the game, not to dramatically expand the game by making every planet and moon explorable. But because of the continued support, we were not only able to hire the world class team we have in Frankfurt, and then allow them to make rapid progress in developing technology that will deliver Crysis-quality planets, we were also able to make the decision to go all in and deliver fully realized worlds and moons to visit and explore.”
Wow, Crysis is only a ten-year-old game!
Yet at ultra texture quality, it still holds up.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
For anybody that knows what Star Citizen is really about in terms of technology and R&D, comparing it with CoD is like comparing apples with oranges.
You're right, it's not fair to compare them. The CoD gamed actually exist.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Feature creep the game - what's the research good for if you are not close to finishing the original pitch?

I mean it's certainly interesting to procedurally generate "all" planets and make them Crysis light, but not if you don't have the money for it (hence the begging) and have to create a new studio for things no one asked (and preordered) for.

The only excuse they have is that their fans want the biggest best and best galaxy simulation, and don't care if it costs 50M more than planned and takes another decade to finish, because they only accept the most awesome stuff ever made.

For outsiders this "we only settle for the best" looks like moving goalposts, to keep the development (and funding) phase in perpetuity.

Morkar Left

Just for the record. I don't compare CoD with Star Citizen. I compare it with Squadron 42 which should have been a Wing Commander with Ego-Shooter sequences and a fixed storyline with fixed levels. Cod Infinite Warfare is a ego-shooter with some arcade action space battles in addition. Both a very very similar, down to the blunt storylines and the focus on one solar system and a space carrier. The one focuses on space battles, the other on the shooter parts on legs, both have evacs and focus on cinematic action.

Perkel

Arcane
hot damn latest ATV brings some SQ42 cinematic footage. This looks outright from Alien if not better.
Their lighting system is insane. Every single light in game could be switched off/on and there aren't any fake lights.
Each room in ship has multiple lighting states. Their new fog also is waaay beyond what is there.

Lighting states according to what is happening with ship:

Feature creep the game - what's the research good for if you are not close to finishing the original pitch?

I mean it's certainly interesting to procedurally generate "all" planets and make them Crysis light, but not if you don't have the money for it (hence the begging) and have to create a new studio for things no one asked (and preordered) for.

The only excuse they have is that their fans want the biggest best and best galaxy simulation, and don't care if it costs 50M more than planned and takes another decade to finish, because they only accept the most awesome stuff ever made.

For outsiders this "we only settle for the best" looks like moving goalposts, to keep the development (and funding) phase in perpetuity.

I'm looking at Star Citizen and completely divided as to whether it disproves or proves that theory about the probability of us living inside a computer simulation. I mean, being the result of an infinite series of meta-Chris-Roberts kickstarter games would certainly explain some shit, like aging, male and female sex drive peaking decades apart, wtf the rules of physics are totally different at a micro and macro level (lazy coders taking shit from previous engines), humanoids with ginger hair (that's got to be graphics bug, surely, it's worse than Mass Effect Andromeda)...

Now I'm waiting for the declaration that "finally we all agree that climage change is man-made, and it's caused by Chris Roberts, no I mean the Chris Roberts 2 simulations above us, being too cheap to pay for proper bug-testers":)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom