Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Voidspire sequel: Alvora Tactics

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Speaking of which, has anyone unlocked the sixth slot? If so, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

You unlock it by
purchasing the first shortcut from Lorim. After that Sivle starts selling the 2nd party size upgrade.

Lorim told me to go back into Alvora to blow something up, so I'm feeling a relatively big milestone coming on...

Just a small warning - this is a fairly short game, especially if you make a beeline for progress/are good at strategy. : )

Some minor bug reports: it looks like the difficulty setting keeps resetting to the middle levels (may be a problem on my end). Also, if you put special loot (like crafting kits, and possibly masks) in a bag, it doesn't get counted when the party returns at the end of the run. I also can't seem to sell from bags (it keeps trying to sell the bag instead), but that's a minor inconvenience. Oh yeah, does the XP via the share feature apply to classes a character hasn't unlocked yet, or does it only start counting after the class is unlocked?

That sounds annoying. I'll look into it.

XP Share applies even to locked classes I believe.

Zetor

Arcane
Just a small warning - this is a fairly short game, especially if you make a beeline for progress/are good at strategy. : )
Oh, I'm not worried... this playthrough is just for getting a feel for the new systems / gameplay esp because it's only on middle difficulty, so I intentionally push as much as possible
even past enemies like that devilfly that my party would've probably had no business defeating if I didn't cheese it with a bomb opener to kill two of its summons right off the bat and seriously wound the thing + constant nuking to kill it before it could kill me... I'm also pretty sure the 'core' enemy would've killed me faster if I didn't use bombs and spam poison / burning on every opportunity, either. Other nasty enemies (like the aspects / ???s) I just avoided entirely.

My dudes are still using iron gear at this point with the exception of a few coral shields and a steel hauberk; I did pick up a sweet coral axe with +lightning damage from some miniboss, and there are a few minor magic items in the mix as well. FWIW, I'm replicating my VT party of breaker/guardian - sharpshooter/rogue - sage/scholar - sorcerer/x, with the 5th character being more flexible... worked well enough for now, and with the new damage formulas I find myself using a lot more spell types instead of just fire with more fire.

I intend to do a srs-bsns playthrough later (probably on steam), and I think the procgen aspects + ironman option help a lot in replayability. Hell, you could even market it as a roguelike at that point, it's certainly closer to the definition than most crap on steam calling itself one.

Ent

Savant
Are recruited characters just flat out better than the starters? They lack experience but they seem to have pre allotted extra stats.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Zetor:
Sounds good. An adequate supply of bombs will compensate for any lack of XP, so it's no wonder you got so far so fast. : P

Ent: Their extra stats count as "purchased" stats and increases the cost of further upgrades. They aren't inherently better; it's as if they bought the stats beforehand.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Their extra stats count as "purchased" stats and increases the cost of further upgrades. They aren't inherently better; it's as if they bought the stats beforehand.

:salute: Brilliant design decision!

:positive:

been having a great time so far, my dudes are just starting to get rolling now with some fun abilities

only problem I've had so far Eldiran is that twice now the game has frozen when I've recruited a new dude and selected a new ability, when I hit the confirm button

edit: just tested it a few more times, instant crash when I hit confirm each time

Ent

Savant
How do you guys build your offensive mages? I don't know if I should go completely all in on a single element or spread out between two or three. Also ignis knight is fun as fuck just need to unlock the rest of classes and see what would make a good secondary.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
How do you guys build your offensive mages? I don't know if I should go completely all in on a single element or spread out between two or three. Also ignis knight is fun as fuck just need to unlock the rest of classes and see what would make a good secondary.
I find that with the change to damage calculation, laser-focusing on one element isn't as useful as it was in VT... especially since enemies can have resistances. I went with two casters: one focusing on fire/lightning, and the other on ice/air. It's still useful to keep one element higher than all the others, of course!

Another note is that the longer cast times of sorcerer spells mean that the instant-cast scholar spells may actually be a legit replacement in some fights; I switch my mage's secondary out ever so often.

Ent

Savant
I just unlocked Warpblade and I have a question about how the enchanted weapon attacks work with gate trick. I noticed that when I put a wind trigger on my rapier and used gate trick weapon damage and the wind damage from the trigger enchant was applied to the distant enemy. But when I put that trigger on a greatsword and used gate trick the distant enemy was hit with only weapon damage and for some reason the wind damage went off on the squares adjacent to me - is that intentional? Also as a somewhat related side note - thank you for allowing regular greatsword sword swings to apply enchant damage on the entire swing instead of just the center :D.

Zetor

Arcane
Can zyla not be recruited in the barracks?
No idea - I started with one - but I saw all other races represented at one point.

Just finished btw -- total playtime was around 12.5 hours. It's definitely not about open-world exploration the way VT was, it is almost entirely focused on combat... but imo it's just fine for the $10 pricepoint. In fact it's probably more replayable than VT because most of the challenging encounters aren't fixed except for a handful of boss battles, and it looks like you're definitely going to miss things on one playthrough. The endgame screen showed my house with more than half of the trophy displays empty and I never found a vault, f'rex.
I appreciated the larger focus on character development this time around, the party of 6 gave a lot of space for experimentation, plus the instant unlocks from masks are nice even if RNG-y. In the end, I went with an ignis/guardian tank using hammers (for the stun passive), a blade/rogue striker dualwielding weapons with elemental damage buffs, a mechanist/sharpshooter (with shiftcloak passive obv) who was MVP for most of the game, a sage/scholar support character, an unmaker/{defiler/sorc/scholar} who was the MVP when the mechanist was slacking, and a late recruit enchanter/sage who felt kinda useless but at least this way I could have a full guard/regen/ward buff set on 5 dudes on turn 1. I also kept putting fire enchant on my blade, though I think it only works on the mainhand weapon.

Class balance feels better, though I didn't get a chance to try out many of the new classes (bat handler, warpblade, and I unlocked the spell archon just when I was about to finish the game). Berserkers look like they have some good potential. Unmakers in particular are really legit now despite losing their niche of undead-destroying. In full bone gear (mace+shield+armor) with some volskarn shards and no necromancer passive, my unmaker was the hardest-hitting character by far with various short-range instant spells, could refill his HP/MP each turn if needed, and the ruin aura would tick for like 16 free damage too. The mechanist could break many encounters in half with cheese, but felt balanced once actually in combat. The ignis knight was okay, I think mana is a problem, but the versatility is nice... funny considering the entire class is built around setting shit on fire. The blade was a decent performer, but kinda squishy with reliance on that 150% damage attack that also damages the user, and dependent on the enchanter to really wreck things. Bladestorm in particular was kinda blah, it looks like it doesn't use the offhand nor any elemental damage enchants, would've been legit otherwise. Defilers are strong... that "Power Word Kill" on <10 HP ability can get crazy, and killing a boss with the passive that makes it fire off whenever the user drops to critical HP is pretty cool (I saw that the constantly-spawning filler enemies in the last encounter had 9 hp, I don't think that was a coincidence :P)

I played on the highest non-ruin difficulty (intense / ponderous), and it felt really brutal early on even after finishing VT on ruin -- and that's a good thing, imo! Particularly, the treedudes could literally two-shot anyone on my team since each of their attacks did 15 damage... had to be very careful how to engage them, and barely made it with no KOs. In general, I was really careful about avoiding KOs since I didn't want anyone to sit out dungeon runs... I didn't feel bad sacrificing my useless enchanter 5 times in the last battle, however. I noticed that the first KO from each character is a freebie (no stat loss), is that intended? The biggest change I noticed from VT, gameplay-wise, is that upgrades and consumables (not to mention money!) seem to be scarce. The only mithril gear I had for the end fight was the stuff I looted from the fixed NPC encounter just before it, f'rex... and I never had enough gold to even consider buying the stuff in Lorim's house. But then I think spending gold on party upgrades is a waaaay better investment (the +3 HP, +5 MP and +1 move ones are particularly no-brainers even after the party size is expanded to 6).

Encounters are definitely not created equal. The fixed enemy NPC parties (like the ignis knights, but also the group of 5 soldiers I encountered earlier on, plus the ??? dudes accompanying the eye guards) are probably the high-point, lots of tension without gamey bossfight mechanics. Speaking of which, that cave with the fire-spitting worms was nightmare material, especially since it only showed up in my first dungeon delve and never appeared after the party got strong enough to take revenge. Honorable mention to some of the newer monster types (the orb-legged speedsters as well as the camouflaged goop-spitting paralyzing jerks). That fight with the tentacles is still totally crazy (in a good way), as are - surprisingly - the smaller turtles who like to combine water spitting with a lightning melee attack, grrr. Shout-out to the gem bugs too, especially how they are encountered. I managed to catch one, I have no idea how you could get all 3 (ranged AOE stuns?). OTOH spiders are never scary, the shellworms were trivial even when I encountered them for the first time, and none of the worm types (pillbugs, the stationary turret worms, or the hexworms) really posed a challenge.

The most important part: cheese! I like that the prebuffing cheese no longer works, since buffs are stripped as soon as the combat starts. However, mechanist turrets and especially their remote detonated explosives persist, which can allow a mechanist to blow up most of the encounter before it even begins. Throw a bunch of explosives in 2-tile range of the enemy frontline (sometimes even deeper than that), optionally set up some turrets facing the enemy, have an adjacent scholar recharge MP as needed, then initiate combat by setting off some explosions -- preferably max-range lightning from a sorc. Boom, most enemies are dead, and the rest are going to get hit for like 24 damage before they can get a turn. I'd recommend some restriction on this, perhaps making the placement of turrets and explosives hostile actions as long as their potential range is within the enemies' detection radius?

Completely random question: after killing the treedudes and withering the thing, is the only loot that 1 tile of buried treasure to the side of the zone entrance? I keep thinking I should've done something else with the seed too...

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
been having a great time so far, my dudes are just starting to get rolling now with some fun abilities

only problem I've had so far Eldiran is that twice now the game has frozen when I've recruited a new dude and selected a new ability, when I hit the confirm button

edit: just tested it a few more times, instant crash when I hit confirm each time

Yeah, there's a bug on teaching abilities to recruits that have never been in the party. That'll be fixed in the 1st patch.

I just unlocked Warpblade and I have a question about how the enchanted weapon attacks work with gate trick. I noticed that when I put a wind trigger on my rapier and used gate trick weapon damage and the wind damage from the trigger enchant was applied to the distant enemy. But when I put that trigger on a greatsword and used gate trick the distant enemy was hit with only weapon damage and for some reason the wind damage went off on the squares adjacent to me - is that intentional? Also as a somewhat related side note - thank you for allowing regular greatsword sword swings to apply enchant damage on the entire swing instead of just the center :D.

This I'll have to do some research on. And you're welcome. : )

What's the situation with Mac/Linux support?

When I tried to port Voidspire to Mac using Monogame, the game ran poorly - like 10fps poorly. I might give it another try, and hope it was some issue with the way I set it up, but it seems unlikely that'll fix it. It might be beyond my means to get these onto Mac or Linux.

Can zyla not be recruited in the barracks?

They can't. Now that I think of it, there's no reason why. I should fix that.

No idea - I started with one - but I saw all other races represented at one point.

Just finished btw -- total playtime was around 12.5 hours. It's definitely not about open-world exploration the way VT was, it is almost entirely focused on combat... but imo it's just fine for the $10 pricepoint. In fact it's probably more replayable than VT because most of the challenging encounters aren't fixed except for a handful of boss battles, and it looks like you're definitely going to miss things on one playthrough. The endgame screen showed my house with more than half of the trophy displays empty and I never found a vault, f'rex.

12 hours sounds good! I am hoping it's fun even in a replay. (The empty trophy displays are for you to put your own stuff on by the way.)

I appreciated the larger focus on character development this time around, the party of 6 gave a lot of space for experimentation, plus the instant unlocks from masks are nice even if RNG-y. In the end, I went with an ignis/guardian tank using hammers (for the stun passive), a blade/rogue striker dualwielding weapons with elemental damage buffs, a mechanist/sharpshooter (with shiftcloak passive obv) who was MVP for most of the game, a sage/scholar support character, an unmaker/{defiler/sorc/scholar} who was the MVP when the mechanist was slacking, and a late recruit enchanter/sage who felt kinda useless but at least this way I could have a full guard/regen/ward buff set on 5 dudes on turn 1. I also kept putting fire enchant on my blade, though I think it only works on the mainhand weapon.

Class balance feels better, though I didn't get a chance to try out many of the new classes (bat handler, warpblade, and I unlocked the spell archon just when I was about to finish the game). Berserkers look like they have some good potential. Unmakers in particular are really legit now despite losing their niche of undead-destroying. In full bone gear (mace+shield+armor) with some volskarn shards and no necromancer passive, my unmaker was the hardest-hitting character by far with various short-range instant spells, could refill his HP/MP each turn if needed, and the ruin aura would tick for like 16 free damage too. The mechanist could break many encounters in half with cheese, but felt balanced once actually in combat. The ignis knight was okay, I think mana is a problem, but the versatility is nice... funny considering the entire class is built around setting shit on fire. The blade was a decent performer, but kinda squishy with reliance on that 150% damage attack that also damages the user, and dependent on the enchanter to really wreck things. Bladestorm in particular was kinda blah, it looks like it doesn't use the offhand nor any elemental damage enchants, would've been legit otherwise. Defilers are strong... that "Power Word Kill" on <10 HP ability can get crazy, and killing a boss with the passive that makes it fire off whenever the user drops to critical HP is pretty cool (I saw that the constantly-spawning filler enemies in the last encounter had 9 hp, I don't think that was a coincidence :P)

I played on the highest non-ruin difficulty (intense / ponderous), and it felt really brutal early on even after finishing VT on ruin -- and that's a good thing, imo! Particularly, the treedudes could literally two-shot anyone on my team since each of their attacks did 15 damage... had to be very careful how to engage them, and barely made it with no KOs. In general, I was really careful about avoiding KOs since I didn't want anyone to sit out dungeon runs... I didn't feel bad sacrificing my useless enchanter 5 times in the last battle, however. I noticed that the first KO from each character is a freebie (no stat loss), is that intended? The biggest change I noticed from VT, gameplay-wise, is that upgrades and consumables (not to mention money!) seem to be scarce. The only mithril gear I had for the end fight was the stuff I looted from the fixed NPC encounter just before it, f'rex... and I never had enough gold to even consider buying the stuff in Lorim's house. But then I think spending gold on party upgrades is a waaaay better investment (the +3 HP, +5 MP and +1 move ones are particularly no-brainers even after the party size is expanded to 6).

Encounters are definitely not created equal. The fixed enemy NPC parties (like the ignis knights, but also the group of 5 soldiers I encountered earlier on, plus the ??? dudes accompanying the eye guards) are probably the high-point, lots of tension without gamey bossfight mechanics. Speaking of which, that cave with the fire-spitting worms was nightmare material, especially since it only showed up in my first dungeon delve and never appeared after the party got strong enough to take revenge. Honorable mention to some of the newer monster types (the orb-legged speedsters as well as the camouflaged goop-spitting paralyzing jerks). That fight with the tentacles is still totally crazy (in a good way), as are - surprisingly - the smaller turtles who like to combine water spitting with a lightning melee attack, grrr. Shout-out to the gem bugs too, especially how they are encountered. I managed to catch one, I have no idea how you could get all 3 (ranged AOE stuns?). OTOH spiders are never scary, the shellworms were trivial even when I encountered them for the first time, and none of the worm types (pillbugs, the stationary turret worms, or the hexworms) really posed a challenge.

The most important part: cheese! I like that the prebuffing cheese no longer works, since buffs are stripped as soon as the combat starts. However, mechanist turrets and especially their remote detonated explosives persist, which can allow a mechanist to blow up most of the encounter before it even begins. Throw a bunch of explosives in 2-tile range of the enemy frontline (sometimes even deeper than that), optionally set up some turrets facing the enemy, have an adjacent scholar recharge MP as needed, then initiate combat by setting off some explosions -- preferably max-range lightning from a sorc. Boom, most enemies are dead, and the rest are going to get hit for like 24 damage before they can get a turn. I'd recommend some restriction on this, perhaps making the placement of turrets and explosives hostile actions as long as their potential range is within the enemies' detection radius?

Completely random question: after killing the treedudes and withering the thing, is the only loot that 1 tile of buried treasure to the side of the zone entrance? I keep thinking I should've done something else with the seed too...

Thanks for the write up, I really enjoy reading through them.

I'm glad Unmakers feel strong now, I was a little disappointed with them in Voidspire.

Also glad your party had some good class variety, looks like they are mostly all useful in some way. I think you'll really enjoy Bat Handler and Warpblade when you get to them. : )

The first KO being a freebie is intended.

Good to hear the encounters were fun, especially the new monster types. : ) Shellworm probably needs a bit of a buff. (Spiders got kind of shafted by living in the extremely-flammable jungle.)

I think prebuffing still works, but your buff runs out extra fast whenever you take an action, such that it's very hard to stack more than 1 buff before battle.

I should limit how many bombs you can lay with the Mechanist. I like the idea of being a little cheesy with setting traps, but it's definitely too much.

The treedudes also have a mask on them, I believe. By withering the thing you gain access to other loot hidden behind vines in other treedude areas.

EDIT: I just remembered- Zetor, I saw your post on the Steam discussion boards about
killing everyone in Voidspire Tactics on a Ruin playthrough. How did that go? Because if you actually beat the game on Ruin, without any help from Vise and Jin, I think you're the first person to ever do that, including myself. : P

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Day2p. I did play Voidspire in Ruin up to the necromancer fight and never bothered to finish it. Finished the game on Intense/Ponderous too, with Hardcore. Took 15 hours on save but likely an hour or 2 more. I think I spent too much time in the first 2 areas, the last 2 are completed in blind runs.
Like Zeteor, I also have no chance to find that particular encounter after a party wipe, is it possibly a bug?
I did it with a degenerate 4 Sharpshooters party, all the starting member being Scurio. There is a Guardian spamming Mighty Block, Melee feels awfully dangerous otherwise.
Unlike Zeteor, I didn't use any consumables at all with just a dedicated Sage as the 6th. It started hard, with grinding flies and pill bugs as the only option, but from 3rd area forward, it is smooth sailing. Endboss is gamey like Zeteor said, the fast acid spitters are many times more dangerous. My Guardian and Sage didn't even have any skills from their second class.
I can't help but find the fights less memorable compared to Voidspire for some reason. Less interesting Map layout? I still regret not the purchase and decide for a Ruin play through unless I abandon again.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
I ended up restarting when my first party reached the end area, mostly because I noticed that the difficulty was reset to Veteran -- I ended up not finding (or using) any bombs at all in my second playthrough, but made up for that with a lot of mechanist cheese (mainly on the less interesting encounters, I tried to keep it 'clean' for the setpiece fights). BTW, with the second playthrough I can confirm that the difficulty reset happens only once (during/after the tutorial map), and it is OK afterwards. Some other bugs/comments that are non-spoilery:
  • I'd recommend making the second party expansion more obvious -- I never used the functionality that had to be purchased in order to unlock the 6th slot, and didn't even know that NPC sold this kind of stuff in the first place. I think removing the prereq and just binding it to the player returning from a tier 2+ exit point would be enough. They could possibly get some short dialog upon exiting, informing them that the upgrade is now available?
  • Really minor, but the 3rd rank of the Blade Perfect Strike ability costs 0 xp. It's not like that ability is particularly useful anyway. :P
  • Speaking of Blades and related to Ent's comment earlier, some melee abilities have weird interactions with elemental effects / + damage on weapons as well as dual wield from blades. Bladestorm in particular sounds like it should hit with both weapons and fire all enchantments while doing so... also, do Enchanter weapon buffs only affect the mainhand?
  • Lorim's gear is waaaaay too expensive in general. I think I saw some uber armor for 1k gold once, I don't think I had that much money at any point! Even a single suit of good armor doesn't measure up to two party-wide upgrades from the trainer, especially since weapon/armor progression isn't as crucial as it was in VT due to how stats work.
  • For Mechanists, how close does a weapon attack need to hit to activate devices (with the Active Arms passive)? I -think- it's 2 tiles, but not sure... regardless, it's very useful in case enemies stand on tiles with remote detonators (can't use Activate on enemy tiles). Especially if AOE attacks (sharpshooter etc) can trigger it too...
But yeah, overall it's a pretty enjoyable ride -- going to replay on Ruin/ironman once it's released on Steam, it should be fun times!

EDIT: I just remembered- Zetor, I saw your post on the Steam discussion boards about
killing everyone in Voidspire Tactics on a Ruin playthrough. How did that go? Because if you actually beat the game on Ruin, without any help from Vise and Jin, I think you're the first person to ever do that, including myself. : P
Yep, everyone done got murderized.
mjtI2dn.jpg
There are 8-10 corpses including Jin in the actual chokepoint below the area shown on the screenshot. It took about 3 hours [!], and the first 40 or so minutes were pretty intense -- had to make sure enemies died on the correct tiles, and an annoying number of them had resurrection abilities (no mana regen, thankfully). I ended up sacrificing my tank to ensure optimal corpse placement, then had the rest of my characters split between the airship and the blockade. In particular, since I no longer had Guard access, I couldn't afford taking more than one hit from a gunner, so I had to do a lot of plinking with Farshot just out of their range, combined with max-range fire gates (sometimes my caster would die mid-cast, but hey, that meant I could resurrect her, and when she got a turn, start casting again and then move out of range). I'd say Jin is the hardest foe of the bunch (very aggressive and the magic damage can murder the tank even with mighty block active), followed by all the gunners. I don't think the melee guys (Vyse included) got any hits on my characters except for maybe single-digit hits on my tank in the first few turns.

Ekrast+worm without the army wasn't too bad, since big E is still vulnerable to status effects like sleep/poison at that point, and the worm melts to AOEs.

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Yes, I got like maybe 4000 gold even with some grinding in the Reefs for my 12 hrs Ruin run.
Training, incomplete even, took about 3000; the first 2 gates took 400 or so. I don't even have enough money for the last 2.
It is true good equipments are just luxury though. Game isn't that hard.
I still hope that there is more rng fix though: I found 2 triggers, no mithril until the last apex run, absolutely no elemental materials. Since no bow kits are found, 2 of my dude are sporting wooden bows at the end. Can you make kits unlockable for gold, Eldiran?

Ent

Savant
I got a warpblade mask as my first mask on ruin difficulty. It must be a sign.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Day2p. I did play Voidspire in Ruin up to the necromancer fight and never bothered to finish it. Finished the game on Intense/Ponderous too, with Hardcore. Took 15 hours on save but likely an hour or 2 more. I think I spent too much time in the first 2 areas, the last 2 are completed in blind runs.
Like Zeteor, I also have no chance to find that particular encounter after a party wipe, is it possibly a bug?
I did it with a degenerate 4 Sharpshooters party, all the starting member being Scurio. There is a Guardian spamming Mighty Block, Melee feels awfully dangerous otherwise.
Unlike Zeteor, I didn't use any consumables at all with just a dedicated Sage as the 6th. It started hard, with grinding flies and pill bugs as the only option, but from 3rd area forward, it is smooth sailing. Endboss is gamey like Zeteor said, the fast acid spitters are many times more dangerous. My Guardian and Sage didn't even have any skills from their second class.
I can't help but find the fights less memorable compared to Voidspire for some reason. Less interesting Map layout? I still regret not the purchase and decide for a Ruin play through unless I abandon again.

Nicely done, beating it on hardcore!

I did nerf bows a fair amount this game; did 4 Sharpshooters still feel degenerate? (They would be very strong against the final boss, but besides that...)

Thanks for playing it!

I ended up restarting when my first party reached the end area, mostly because I noticed that the difficulty was reset to Veteran -- I ended up not finding (or using) any bombs at all in my second playthrough, but made up for that with a lot of mechanist cheese (mainly on the less interesting encounters, I tried to keep it 'clean' for the setpiece fights). BTW, with the second playthrough I can confirm that the difficulty reset happens only once (during/after the tutorial map), and it is OK afterwards. Some other bugs/comments that are non-spoilery:
  • I'd recommend making the second party expansion more obvious -- I never used the functionality that had to be purchased in order to unlock the 6th slot, and didn't even know that NPC sold this kind of stuff in the first place. I think removing the prereq and just binding it to the player returning from a tier 2+ exit point would be enough. They could possibly get some short dialog upon exiting, informing them that the upgrade is now available?
  • Really minor, but the 3rd rank of the Blade Perfect Strike ability costs 0 xp. It's not like that ability is particularly useful anyway. :P
  • Speaking of Blades and related to Ent's comment earlier, some melee abilities have weird interactions with elemental effects / + damage on weapons as well as dual wield from blades. Bladestorm in particular sounds like it should hit with both weapons and fire all enchantments while doing so... also, do Enchanter weapon buffs only affect the mainhand?
  • Lorim's gear is waaaaay too expensive in general. I think I saw some uber armor for 1k gold once, I don't think I had that much money at any point! Even a single suit of good armor doesn't measure up to two party-wide upgrades from the trainer, especially since weapon/armor progression isn't as crucial as it was in VT due to how stats work.
  • For Mechanists, how close does a weapon attack need to hit to activate devices (with the Active Arms passive)? I -think- it's 2 tiles, but not sure... regardless, it's very useful in case enemies stand on tiles with remote detonators (can't use Activate on enemy tiles). Especially if AOE attacks (sharpshooter etc) can trigger it too...
But yeah, overall it's a pretty enjoyable ride -- going to replay on Ruin/ironman once it's released on Steam, it should be fun times!

Yep, everyone done got murderized.
mjtI2dn.jpg
There are 8-10 corpses including Jin in the actual chokepoint below the area shown on the screenshot. It took about 3 hours [!], and the first 40 or so minutes were pretty intense -- had to make sure enemies died on the correct tiles, and an annoying number of them had resurrection abilities (no mana regen, thankfully). I ended up sacrificing my tank to ensure optimal corpse placement, then had the rest of my characters split between the airship and the blockade. In particular, since I no longer had Guard access, I couldn't afford taking more than one hit from a gunner, so I had to do a lot of plinking with Farshot just out of their range, combined with max-range fire gates (sometimes my caster would die mid-cast, but hey, that meant I could resurrect her, and when she got a turn, start casting again and then move out of range). I'd say Jin is the hardest foe of the bunch (very aggressive and the magic damage can murder the tank even with mighty block active), followed by all the gunners. I don't think the melee guys (Vyse included) got any hits on my characters except for maybe single-digit hits on my tank in the first few turns.

Ekrast+worm without the army wasn't too bad, since big E is still vulnerable to status effects like sleep/poison at that point, and the worm melts to AOEs.

I'm trying to track down this difficulty reset bug. Thanks for letting me know it only happens once. Did you set the difficulty via the main screen and then it didn't stick during the new game?

• Noted, I'll make an alternate condition for the 2nd party expansion.
  • Good catch, fixed.
  • Yeah, Enchants only ever hit once during an attack. Bladestorm would be insane if it applied buffs. : P
  • I was afraid to mess with the game's difficulty through random powerful goods showing up, so I left them ludicrously expensive. Not a great solution, admittedly.
  • I believe Active Arms needs to strike adjacent to them. Multishot should work with it.
Very nice. I thought Ekrast + Worm alone on Ruin would be harder. That makes you the only person to have beaten all of Ruin mode the bloody way. : )

Yes, I got like maybe 4000 gold even with some grinding in the Reefs for my 12 hrs Ruin run.
Training, incomplete even, took about 3000; the first 2 gates took 400 or so. I don't even have enough money for the last 2.
It is true good equipments are just luxury though. Game isn't that hard.
I still hope that there is more rng fix though: I found 2 triggers, no mithril until the last apex run, absolutely no elemental materials. Since no bow kits are found, 2 of my dude are sporting wooden bows at the end. Can you make kits unlockable for gold, Eldiran?

I think I will. I'd like the player to be able to negate some of the randomness if it ends up unfair to them. I'll add a method in the next patch or the patch after.

I got a warpblade mask as my first mask on ruin difficulty. It must be a sign.

I never did test how cheesy 6 Warpblades casting Gate: Onslaught would be... : )

Ent

Savant
I don't think the ten percent experience bonus humans get is actually being added in (unless its supposed to a party wide bonus for some reason).

Ent

Savant
Anyone experiencing weird things with the short cut bar? Some of the skills I purchased on a character aren't actually showing up on the bar. Sadly I can't move the skill from the class list directly onto the bar.

Ent

Savant
Good news! I guess its time to buy it for all my steam slave friends.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Finally greenlit! : D

And a new patch, v1.01! Here are the patch notes.

Some highlights:
  • Added merchant that appears in the tavern after reaching a certain area
  • Can now recruit Zyla from Gavin
  • Teamwork II upgrade now has additional conditions that can cause it to become available
  • Fixed humans racial trait (+10% XP) not working
  • Now only 5 Mechanist bombs can be deployed at a time outside of combat
Anyone experiencing weird things with the short cut bar? Some of the skills I purchased on a character aren't actually showing up on the bar. Sadly I can't move the skill from the class list directly onto the bar.

I haven't seen this yet. Let me know if it happens again.

Ent

Savant
I have been underestimating the damage of corphyst weapons. A mage with corphyst weapon slotted with two elemental triggers he is building does quite a bit of damage. That also makes me wonder - do weapons that deal entirely elemental damage increase in damage from raising both the element and the weapon expertise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom