Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX - Top Roguelikes - Nomination Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Also as much as i like the game FTL is a roguelite/roguelike-like not a roguelike. I know, i know... but if FTL can be on the list then what stops Binding of Isaac and other similar games - and i mean for real this time ?

Just for once I'll leave FTL in the list, mostly because I don't know what other category would FTL fit in. Binding of Isaac is a no-go, though.

Updated the OP with all mentioned games, sans BoI because I hate the developers.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Dungeon Hack
Hoplite (Android)

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Also, take SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition off the list, that's no roguelike, just ASCII graphics and a grind simulator

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
No Zangband on the list? I thought Zangband was one of the great ones among Rogue-likes?

I thought so myself. This thread is already proving its worth by filtering out "popular, but not good" roguelikes.

Updated the OP with the latest two nominations. (I'm aware Dungeon Hack is a dungeon crawler, but it's a good mix with roguelikes too)

EDIT: Remove SanctuaryRPG.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I always liked Incursion

Also, Conquest of Elysium 4 is not really a roguelike, even if it has some roguelike features

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
Incursion, yes! How could I forget. Resting in the dungeon in your own comfortable pocket dimension was one in a lifetime experience, heh.
Corrupted save files were numerous, though. I still mourn my 7th level druid that ceased to exist without any apparent reason in some deep library.

zangband. damn you guys. ZANGBAND!

For your sake I hope you aren't nominating it just because it is well known. Anyhow, added.
it has tons of races and even more classes, endless artifacts that would put diablo to shame, tons of differently behaving mobs, cities, wilderness, quests, gorram cthulhu! it's quantity over quality, but there's a point in which enough quantity becomes quality.

skyrim has very little quantity. limited skills, limited equipment, just a few damaging spells, only a bunch of named artifacts... veeeeeeery little quantity.

AMG

Arbiter
What's the point of this? Popularity contests make sense, when you have enough people for proper granularity of results. There are probably like 15 people on codex who play RLs, and maybe 3 of them played more than 5 games on this list. Most games will receive exactly one vote, which is from the person who nominated them, if they even bother to show up to vote.
The most well made RL is brogue and anybody with not shit taste knows that, no need for any polls.

Anyway, to not be a total party pooper, I guess I will nominate the og Rogue, why not right? Specifically the IBM version, with the smiley. And yes, I consider Rogue to be more fun than half the shit mentioned in this thread.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What's the point of this? Popularity contests make sense, when you have enough people for proper granularity of results. There are probably like 15 people on codex who play RLs, and maybe 3 of them played more than 5 games on this list. Most games will receive exactly one vote, which is from the person who nominated them, if they even bother to show up to vote.

That's not how the poll will work.

Everyone who votes will have to pass judge on all games polled, stating whether:

- They liked it.
- They didn't like it.
- They didn't play it.

It's nice to know what the Codex thinks of games they didn't nominate themselves, something that was sorely lacking from the original Top 70 poll, and which was remedied in the Age of Incline poll. There will be no point system nor numerical scores, because frankly those a pretty fucking useless when one man's 3 is another man's 5, so I'd rather keep it simple: "We recommend it", "We do not recommend it".

The most well made RL is brogue and anybody with not shit taste knows that, no need for any polls.

Anyway, to not be a total party pooper, I guess I will nominate the og Rogue, why not right? Specifically the IBM version, with the smiley. And yes, I consider Rogue to be more fun than half the shit mentioned in this thread.

Added Rogue to the OP, as well as the other two roguelikes mentioned in the previous posts.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Are we talking rogule-likes in the sense of ATOM, or rogue-like-like in the sense of FTL?

Anyway, Crypt of the Necrodancer is a fun game, and an old ass Fatal Labyrinth (though this is a bit of "check out this obscure game I like").

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Updated. I sure hope the mods are up for making this poll, because I certainly didn't ask them before I even made this thread.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Are we talking rogule-likes in the sense of ATOM, or rogue-like-like in the sense of FTL?

Anyway, Crypt of the Necrodancer is a fun game, and an old ass Fatal Labyrinth (though this is a bit of "check out this obscure game I like").

Crypt of the Necrodancer's main gameplay loop is partially player-skill-based (twitch skills, though some tactics do come into play), it's more of a rogue-lite

If you want to include a beginner's roguelike with a heavy reliance on graphics, than I would actually take Dungeons of Dredmore, lots classes, lots of stuff to find, though the humor is an acquired taste

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Holy shit, I just remembered this: SpurguX

I must nominate this cult classic. Check out the enemies, a game doesn't get much more Codexian. Too bad it's in Finnish.

SkeleTony

Augur
Tower of Darkness -www.proudft.com. One of the few party-based roguelikes, though it uses a 'create one then recruit others' system.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mission Thunderbolt
jaunttrooper_2866.gif

(Captain Hazard RIP)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom