Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Poseidon

Educated
Ogre warrior would do better job in the Dungeon of Lost Souls. Maybe. If you loathe elf mages.

Mate that comes to ~1300 posts per day o_O Do you live on the Codex?

hmm. it starts ok, but won't go fullscreen. then when I close it, it won't restart unless I restart my pc.

You probably need to play around with the Launcher graphical settings. Providing some system information and your current ones might help.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You probably need to play around with the Launcher graphical settings. Providing some system information might and your current ones might help.
Played around with them some, but it's difficult when I have to restart the laptop all the time.

tried with and without the wrapper and windowed and not - windowed is screwed up (flickers).

laptop
win 10
i7
GTX950M
16GB RAM

For the not being able to start part, my guess is that some process hangs, but I don't know which and can't see anything arcanum related in taskmanager...

Poseidon

Educated
Played around with them some, but it's difficult when I have to restart the laptop all the time.

My system isn't all that different, I also run Windows 10, the real difference is I use the Integrated Intel GPU. But I really doubt the nVidia drivers are giving you issues (not that it's unheard of, especially with older games).

A process that might be running, but doesn't seem Arcanum related would be DXWnd.exe, check if that hangs.

Otherwise in Config.exe, all I use is (and game runs perfectly on any resolution): Software Renderer, Double Buffer, Use DXWnd. Advanced one shouldn't matter for graphics.

Did you try running the HiRes patch manually? Under HiRes Patch, click the "Применить" button (it's the one of the left, it means Change) and follow the instructions.

Alternatively, you might wanna wait for the next update when, if I understand correctly, Drog would've added some enhancements to the patch itself.

Few more queries:

> Arcanum has an 'issue' that reminds me of Baldur's gate before the advent of 'Baldur's gate 2 tweaks mod'. It is easier if I copy the tweak that should be pasted in arcanum from the readme of the mod I just quoted:

More Interjections
Previously known as Valen/Solaufein-Style Interjections
One of the more common triggers for dialogue interjections does not quite work as well as intended--Irenicus not realizing Yoshimo is in your party at Spellhold is a common example. This component will interactively replace these faulty triggers with a simple in-party check, similar to the Valen or Solaufein mods. The net result is that some characters may be chiming in on conversations from half-a-map away, but it also means no more silliness such as Irenicus missing Yoshimo when he's standing four feet away. If party members are in another area, this component could cause some dialogues to exit early. This component will affect all dialogues and scripts in the game, including ones introduced by mods that use the IsValidForPartyDialogue trigger, provided this component is installed after them.

This is an issue that I met many times. One example is Torian Kel. If you have Magnus near you, he will complain about Torian Kel. But after reloading I noticed that the difference between him complaining and not complaining was how far Torian Kel was from him.

Another interjection that I discovered after long testing was inside the void, when you meet the bane of Kree. Torian Kel will have a clash with him, if he notices that he is there, but sometimes he won't and you can let him join without Torian complaining or noticing that he is now in the party.

> For consistency reason, background should not count for stats maximum. Let’s take an example: Rare half-ogre birth.
If you take this background you get +2 INT sacrificing one point of STR and one of CON
The issue though is that you can still reach 24 strength but you can’t reach constitution 20 for who knows which reason.
Consistency would make it so that you can reach at best 23 strength and 19 con.

> Familiars should start from your same level if you are level 50, not level 35.

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Sergio, please mark BUGS with color. They are more important and I'm worried not to miss them in a huge lists of suggestions.
We will think about tweaks later.

Macbeth. I will from now on. Do you need that I compile another list once again?

In my previous post, MORE INTERJECTION is a bug

The background not working coherently could also be a bug

familiar is a tweak

My system isn't all that different, I also run Windows 10, the real difference is I use the Integrated Intel GPU. But I really doubt the nVidia drivers are giving you issues (not that it's unheard of, especially with older games).

A process that might be running, but doesn't seem Arcanum related would be DXWnd.exe, check if that hangs.

Otherwise in Config.exe, all I use is (and game runs perfectly on any resolution): Software Renderer, Double Buffer, Use DXWnd. Advanced one shouldn't matter for graphics.

Did you try running the HiRes patch manually? Under HiRes Patch, click the "Применить" button (it's the one of the left, it means Change) and follow the instructions.

Alternatively, you might wanna wait for the next update when, if I understand correctly, Drog would've added some enhancements to the patch itself.
Ok, I've figured it out:

1. I needed to run the Config.exe program as administrator - my apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere and I missed it. It was late when I was going over the thread and installing.
This fixed the starting problem, I think.

2. The only way I could fix the fullscreen problem was to set the resolution of the game to my desktop resolution - 1920x1080 - using HiRes.exe
Needless to say though, this makes everything a bit too tiny. I suppose another solution might be to mess with my desktop resolution instead, but I'd rather not atm.

Another problem was that once it started, it was very slow - especially with software rendering on, so:
3. I set my NVIDIA card to be the preferred device. (Because Win10 will sometimes just choose use the i7's GPU instead - to save power, I guess.) Now the game runs and loads much faster.

It's weird that you use the processor GPU without issue. Maybe my system allocates less RAM to it though since the NVIDIA card is for the heavy stuff. Or maybe I'm just missing something I dunno.

edit: ok, the slow performance issue isn't the GPU or the software rendering. It's because I start without the Config.exe. Just tested starting with arcanum.exe and it was SLOOOOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poseidon

Educated
Ok, I've figured it out:

1. I needed to run the Config.exe program as administrator - my apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere and I missed it. It was late when I was going over the thread and installing.
This fixed the starting problem, I think.

2. The only way I could fix the fullscreen problem was to set the resolution of the game to my desktop resolution - 1920x1080 - using HiRes.exe
Needless to say though, this makes everything a bit too tiny. I suppose another solution might be to mess with my desktop resolution instead, but I'd rather not atm.

Another problem was that once it started, it was very slow - especially with software rendering on, so:
3. I set my NVIDIA card to be the preferred device. (Because Win10 will sometimes just choose use the i7's GPU instead - to save power, I guess.) Now the game runs and loads much faster.

It's weird that you use the processor GPU without issue. Maybe my system allocates less RAM to it though since the NVIDIA card is for the heavy stuff. Or maybe I'm just missing something I dunno.

edit: ok, the slow performance issue isn't the GPU or the software rendering. It's because I start without the Config.exe. Just tested starting with arcanum.exe and it was SLOOOOW.

So everything runs fine now? You should be able to run the game fine on 1280x720. Resolution is decent and you should be able to read everything fine. It's playable on 1920x1080, but you'll have to enable the large fonts under HiRes in Config.exe

Yes, you need to use either Config.exe or Launcher.exe, using Arcanum.exe won't start the DXWnd wrapper, which would cause trouble with DirectX and therefore - game is slow/choppy.

I use the integrated Intel card simply because I don't have a dedicated card :( I lost my Crossfire Eyefinity system in an accident some time ago and still haven't completely recovered my gear. Getting there tho...

Poseidon

Educated
The thing with Dark Elf playinhgis that Dark Elves in Arcanum are not a race, but a belief in Elven Supremacy. I don't remember any biological difference in Arcanum between both. Its sort of a plot point, actually.

Since they don't live underground like in the Forgotten Realms universe, then yes, it makes sense that they probably are biologically identical. Their culture, however, would be a lot different.
And even if technically, they're the same species, I don't think the Elves would be too happy to see a Dark Elf in Quintarra. That's what I meant.
I'm pretty sure I played Elf/Half-Elf through Tsen-Ang though, they didn't seem to mind it all that much.

Since they don't live underground like in the Forgotten Realms universe, then yes, it makes sense that they probably are biologically identical. Their culture, however, would be a lot different.
And even if technically, they're the same species, I don't think the Elves would be too happy to see a Dark Elf in Quintarra. That's what I meant.
I'm pretty sure I played Elf/Half-Elf through Tsen-Ang though, they didn't seem to mind it all that much.
How would anyone know what you are? Unless you add a dialog option or something.

But really, since there is already a "dark elf follower" background, and the dark elves are mostly separated from the regular elves by ideology, you already can play a dark elf. :M

1) Was reading a few topics when I came upon this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...l-arcanum-patch-original-thread.23720/page-26

A post by Drog: Another important lost content restoration. I was able to fix the conversation of Gilbert Bates and Loghaire Thunder Stone. It was sitting deep inside game's files for a long time, along with corresponding sound clips. And now it's back.

BUG: I never had such conversation in my game. Characters do not banter between themselves unless they are really close to each other. This needs to be fixed. Already reported by me in a private message, but I'm writing it here anyway because I never thought there was such content and this bug needs to be addressed immediately.

2) I was wondering another thing: how are you supposed to make K'an hua meet Nasrudin in the ring of Brodgard?

3) Is there a way to make Nasrudin give you the quest to find the vendigroth's device and right after ally yourself with the dark elves?

4) Inside 'arcanum multiverse edition notes'.rtf, under version 1.2 it is written:
"The priest from the Panarii temple in Tarant no longer gives an infinite number of pamphlets"

This should be moved to the newest version changelog that is going to be released.

5) BUG: Inside 'arcanum multiverse edition notes'.rtf, under version 1.2 it is written:
" Now it is possible not to return Kraka-tur’s eye, but crush it in front of him. This action causes Kraka-tur’s anger".
There is no option for such action. Savegame here: https://ufile.io/px4b8

Maybe I missed it?

Last edited:
6) BUG: glitched raven dialogue. Savegames here: https://ufile.io/zqplv (there are two savegames because one is before talking to tsen-ang just if you wish to check something in particular, while the glitched dialogue is the one on the savegame named 'raven'). How to meet the bug:

> Load the qintarra save.
> Read the note I've stolen min-gorad with a fate point.
> Talk with raven. Choose the option "I bring information about the dark elves village".
> The giltched dialogues are the first and the second option that appear now: "No Raven I'm fine..." or "Your offer is generous". Read the whole chain until raven asks you about the news. You cannot tell her about the notes [THAT'S THE BUG]
> the only way to unglitch the whole dialogue is to take the third option.

7) BUG? YOU CHOOSE
For me it's a bug and the thing should be streamlining: you have to choose how but I would definitely change some things to make it easier to understand because the first time I came upon this without even knowing there were other dialogues.

Savegame here: https://ufile.io/3wyel

Talk with the head of the panari temple; follow the dialogue tree until the cinematic. When given the chance, leave him so he assigns you the quest. Until you ask "how do you know about the vendigroth device"?

He will say "a description if it we have heard, spoken by one whose two eyes have seen it".

NOW IT IS WHERE I THINK THERE IS A BUG OR THE DIALOGUE TREE SHOULD BE REMADE: Choose the option "What should I do after I retrieve the device"? .
Then continue the dialogue. At a certain point you will be given three choices:

"Perhaps I should attempt to rescue the thief" <<<<----------- this is the problematic line of dialogue
"May I ask you other questions"?
"Until we meet at the ring of brodgar"

It is problematic because he didn't introduce the thief because we didn't choose the option "why don't you let the bloke retrieve it"? so we weren't introduced to tollo, we don't know he is a thief, we don't know he is in danger, nor that he is in prison.

Last edited:
bug: when being inside the void, if you got summons or too many followers they will make you stuck when leaving the little portal circles.

Macbeth

Scholar
Sergio, I've asked you before to write PM with bugs.

Most of them are not bugs at all, but your questions about game mechanic.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
what a waste of time. no turn-based combat adjustments (reduce AP of golems) -- the only bad thing about arcanum. you wasted your time.

Macbeth: apologize, but on the list I've published, 5 are bugs (and I sent you the list once again via pm), two questions are about mechanics, and one statement is about a correction to the readme of multiverse notes. :P
Bugs are the majority of stuff here, and given that you didn't answer me about the bug on the half ogre island, I thought that it was better if I published them here (in red text as you asked for bugs, even if they are difficult to read), so other people belonging to the project can read and fix the problems if you happen to be away ~

Regards

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
whomstd've be the nigga whomst asked for playable ogres, orcs and dark elves???

O3TpjWP.jpg

eM9azvC.jpg

2dlMxDb.jpg

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
had to rewrite tons of code to make these 3 races 100% playable and crash free, arcanum checks for tons of p autistic stuff, like what race gets hated/loved by what race

in other words, work on UAP 2.0 is progressing smoothly, already fixed about 100 bugs, plenty of them on the engine level, also planning to bundle in all my existing mods and improvement packs, shit gun b lit af fam

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
While you're at it, add a new background for all white cis males to the game. You have to elevate this game to the 2017.

Drog, thanks for all the work you're putting into this.
Did you take a look at the balancing? e.g ogre (did troika choose that they couldn't get some stats above a certain threeshold)?

The only race I do not agree with you about adding is Dark elf, simply because dark elves are only those elves that adhere to a certain belief (and that is elves above all).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Drog, thanks for all the work you're putting into this.
Did you take a look at the balancing? e.g ogre (did troika choose that they couldn't get some stats above a certain threeshold)?
Yes, different races have different max stats. Take a look at the ogre for example at that screenshot, he can get his STR all the way up to 26 for a massive 32 damage bonus.

The only race I do not agree with you about adding is Dark elf, simply because dark elves are only those elves that adhere to a certain belief (and that is elves above all).
Exactly my thoughts. But it was not my decision, Troika made dark elves a separate 'race', with race icons, race based reaction modifiers etc. Why not just a faction? How do I know. Anyway, stats wise they're exactly the same as normal elves, except without ANY stat penalties, so they're p overpowered. I'm thinking about just switching them off again.

Anyway, all this stuff will be optional. I'll probably add a button somewhere that makes all the races selectable and then you'll get to access some minor new content I'm planning for these races.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom