Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Jon Shafer's At the Gates

Destroid

Arcane
https://www.atthegatesgame.com

Long let's play with Jon Shafer showing off his game, looks interesting, I like the new art style.

Last edited by a moderator:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I like JS. Sounds like he got fucked on Civ5 initially(huge project for somebody with little experience on the Civ4 expansions), and has a good head on his shoulders. He's been involved in Civ since Civ3(mods), which is pretty bro. Still quite young, and interested to see what he can do.

Edit: Also he name dropped Crusader Kings 2 and King of Dragon pass when talking about the clan system. Nice. We'll see how it plays.

Last edited:

Borelli

Arcane
"From the designer of Civ5" is not something that fills me with hope but this doesn't seem to be like it. Has a KoDP vibe which is always great and the late roman setting is unique but from the video the getting new clans mechanic seems a bit gamey. Haven't seen much of the aforementioned Roman Empire, i hope that they will not be an easy prey and that you will need more than a couple of raiders to bring them down.
Will definitely keep an eye on this.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I remember reading an interview where he stated that he was basically forced to dumb down every aspect of civ in order to make it more appealing to the masses of uneducated faggots that don't give a shit about strategy games.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
"From the designer of Civ5" is not something that fills me with hope but this doesn't seem to be like it. Has a KoDP vibe which is always great and the late roman setting is unique but from the video the getting new clans mechanic seems a bit gamey. Haven't seen much of the aforementioned Roman Empire, i hope that they will not be an easy prey and that you will need more than a couple of raiders to bring them down.
Will definitely keep an eye on this.

I think a lot of game designers actualy would like to make less dumbed down games. Problem is that they get a target of ''sell X million copies''. And the market for hardcore games just isnt big enough. In short: give this guy the benefit of the doubt. At least he gave up his job to try and make something he really believes in.

Multi-headed Cow

I dunno if you can really say he gave up his job 'cause HIS SHIT WAS TOO PURE. I thought people at Firaxis generally lead-designed one game and then fell off the face of the Earth, either doing other work at Firaxis or being non-lead designer on other things. Like Jeff Briggs was a designer on Civ 2 and Colonization but lead designer of Civ 3 (Then went back to doing other things at Firaxis, in his case composing) so we can lay the entirety of the blame of 3 on him.

Plus Shafer apparently was lead designer for a Stardock game in the Elemental series (Which I assume would've been that Sorcerer King game or whatever) until he ejected there to do his Kickstarter thing. His Kickstarter thing that has his name in the title. If I was judge of character Cow I'd say he was after glory and to become a Name, since after he had the lead designer slot at Firaxis he bailed, then had and gave up the lead designer slot on a Stardock game so he could immediately jump into lead designer of a game with his name in the title instead. Maybe it'll be wonderful but it seems a little suspect to me. Definitely enough that I skipped the Kickstarter.
Especially since as shit as Stardock is, they're far lower budget than Firaxis and (You would think) that would allow him more free reign to do whatever. Like Borelli mentioned late Roman setting is more interesting than Elemental generic fantasy shit, but it seems weird that you'd bail on a lead designer position just because you hate orcs.

Like I mentioned though I'm just pulling this out of my ass. It was enough to give me pause but I still have been half-assed eyeballing the game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been watching for 40 minutes now, think it looks really good and interesting. And if the game flops Jon Shafer can always fall back on a youtube/LP-career. Guy is pleasant to listen to :)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just watched this. Looks potentially interesting. I wish it had showed the moving on mechanic. It sounds like you will only have one city in this game?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I looked up some more info on the game. I vaguely remember the KS and not backing it because I didn't like how Civ5 turned out.

On the official website, Jon has a pretty interesting blog post http://www.atthegatesgame.com/node/31. He name drops KotDP, CK2, and Imperialism. So he's done his homework.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this game looks hella cool. any word on estimate release? early, late 2015?

iced-earth.jpg
's
43_logo.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Finally got around to watching the video entirely. Jon save scums :lol:

In terms of system interaction this seems like the polar opposite of Civ 5 (everything was separate) and gives me Civ 2-4, SMAC vibes (good integration of various systems interacting with each other).

I still want to see how the one city thing works in late game though.

Yeah, late game interests me too. Overall a good concept that offers a lot of replayability if world randomization is good as the potential for making new tribal combos and experimenting with composition seems solid.

Gonna watch second video now, hope it shows some large scale unit combat and how it plays out. Also interested to see if any events play when you encounter other major tribes, how diplomacy works, if there is any sort of civilization/city planning after you grow to a sufficient level and whether you encounter a large civilized faction later in the game. (didn't say anything about it in the first video but I thought this was supposed to play out as barbarian migrations into rome-kinda thing)

tuluse

Arcane
If you've watched it, you'll see by now Rome gets mentioned in this video. Apparently diplomacy isn't implemented yet though.

It does technically show multi unit combat as Jon has exactly 2 archers and fights 2 barbarian units. It looks like it takes some cues from Civ 3 with combining units into super units.

He also shows some very minor migration (moves 2 hexes, plans to move more then realizes it hurts more than it helps).

One concerning thing I saw in the second video was it looks like there's a lot of +1 techs in the current tech tree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom