Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Thief game is in the works, tied with a movie adaptation (Fake News)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Actually, on second thought, I'm fine with this move. This might be what's needed to finally bring Squeenix down when both movie and game flop. Garrett the master thi5f, once again unintentionally saving the world from a menace.

ciox

Liturgist
It will obviously have co-op and multiplayer.

Thief 1 was supposed to, believe it or not.
  • Q: Will there be a multiplayer mode?
  • A: Yes. We're developing a "theftmatch" mode, where small teams of thieves compete under time pressure to steal the greatest value of swag from the territory of wealthy NPC's and their guards. Other models of multiplayer play are being considered.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
^Wasn't there a relatively popular mod for Unreal Tournament that was basically that?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
^Wasn't there a relatively popular mod for Unreal Tournament that was basically that?
Yeah, Thievery.
Had it on CD with mods when I still got no decent (i.e. none at all) internet connection and thus - got no chance to test it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

• A: Yes. We're developing a "theftmatch" mode, where small teams of thieves compete under time pressure to steal the greatest value of swag from the territory of wealthy NPC's and their guards. Other models of multiplayer play are being considered.

Not to belittle anyone, but Thief's production was one of the most troubled ones out there when it came to overall vision, direction and general "What is this game about then?"

Which makes the end product all the more relevant and awesome.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:

Icymad

Novice
Bullying nerds is always fun, so i hope Squaresoft suceeds in their endeavours and make Thief 5 be the Fallout 3 of Thief series(sales and critics wise), and movie directed by good old Uwie Boll.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Not to belittle anyone, but Thief's production was one of the most troubled ones out there when it cames to overall vision, direction and general "What is this game about then?"

Agree.
These days development is different. First project is almost the same as a final. Not much brainstorming (to not hurt muh feelings of subhumans with painted hairs). You have concept artists manufacturing a lot of bland trash, then coordinator pick few, start giving directions for programmers and other minions, year(s) passed and still shit is bugridden as fuck but you can't tell them it sux to not hurt their feelings.
At least Thief devs got their home engine and not deal with free trash (Unity etc.) that leave a lot to desire and is full of traps (i.e. holes that can fill with bugs and sabotage work later).

No place for cool stuff anymore.

Icymad

Novice
Bullying nerds is always fun, so i hope Squaresoft suceeds in their endeavours and make Thief 5 be the Fallout 3 of Thief series(sales and critics wise), and movie directed by good old Uwie Boll.

But Thiaf was the fallout 3 of thief series.
That game was a failure, where is Thief 4 in the top 100 games of all time lists?

movie directed by good old Uwie Boll.

:d1p:
It's about a taffer that goes on a murdering rampage thanks to an argument with his Jacobin friend (he kills him in the end)

Divinity: Original Sin

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Yeah, Thievery.
Had it on CD with mods when I still got no decent (i.e. none at all) internet connection and thus - got no chance to test it.

Good old Thievery UT, I used to have so much fun with it back when it was a thing. I have... fond... memories of one particular mansion map. There was a certain item in a room which was mission critical for the thieves, meaning they absolutely had to grab it to win. The problem was, the room was well-lit and it had three very easily guardable entrances: a door, a secret passage from an adjacent room the opening of which was very obvious, and a fireplace which thieves could climb up, but only if the fire was extinguished. So every guard in the know would make a beeline for the room from the get-go and spend the entire round camping out and fooling around, because there was no way the thieves could get the item with as little as 4-5 guards in there.

I think that was the mod that coined the term "Shadow slasher" used for when players would run around and slash at empty shadows to see if any thief was hiding there.

And the thiefy equivalent was the "circlestrafe blackjack", where your superiour speed allowed you to knock out a guard even if he was aware of your presence.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only question that matters is how many belts Garret will have and how his make up will look like.

Gentle Player

Arcane

Not to belittle anyone, but Thief's production was one of the most troubled ones out there when it came to overall vision, direction and general "What is this game about then?"

EDIT: Typo.

Yes, and imagine if it were Kickstarted or put on "Early Access" or whatever. People would have paid into it at an early stage and would have been invested in the original premise of an action slasher or whatever Thief was originally going to be. The developers wouldn't have been able to innovate and change direction as they did. The truth is that Thief isn't particularly anomalous; many of my favourites in other media started out as something completely different and underwent a similar transformation. Crowd funding, at least in the form that invites backer "participation", can be as stifling as a restrictive publisher.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Best case scenario is that this flops and they sell the rights to the franchise.
Assuming that this game and related movie are ever even entering the production phase... Unless I am misreading it and he is actually serious, that tweet suggests that EM isn't developing it.

Or he is being serious, and his bosses at Square are completely detached from anything approaching sanity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deleted from website: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-16-thief-studio-boss-mocks-report-of-series-revival

Thief studio boss mocks report of series revival
As movie company deletes surprise claim of impending sequel.

Last week, a movie production company sparked speculation across the internet that a new Thief game was in development.

Sadly, this did not make any sense.

Five days ago, California-based Straight Up Films - the studio signed up to develop a Thief movie adaptation - stated "a fifth [Thief game] sequel is currently in development" to be released alongside its film.

But while a new Thief game would certainly be welcome... it would be very unlikely.

Let's start with the fact that Thief developer Eidos Montreal has shelved its more popular Deus Ex series - as reported by Eurogamer back in January.

Then there's the fact Eidos Montreal is currently booked up with other projects for the foreseeable future, including the currently-unannounced next Tomb Raider game (the existence of which leaked online last year when someone left a "Shadows of the Tomb Raider" PowerPoint presentation open on the Montreal subway).

We even know of Eidos Montreal's next project after that - the second Marvel game due in publisher Square Enix's big Marvel deal, due to follow Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game. Eurogamer sources point to this project being based around Guardians of the Galaxy.

So it's perhaps unsurprising to see Eidos Montreal's boss, David Anfossi, now mocking the report of it making a new Thief game on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DavidAnfossi/status/864102129040072706

But how about a Thief game from another studio? Even with Eidos Montreal (and Crystal Dynamics, for that matter) busy on other projects, the sad fact of the matter is that any new Thief project would still be a long shot.

The last Thief game had an uneven development, released to mixed reviews and is a lesser-known IP than Hitman, the more successful Square Enix series which has just been unceremoniously dumped.

Square Enix declined to comment for this article, although Straight Up Films' website has now deleted all mention of any upcoming Thief game.

The film company does, however, still list the dormant game series as "an action epic poised to be the next great multi-platform franchise".

Azazel

Arbiter
Thank. Fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom