Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any thread on the Codex turns into a politicized wankfest. I can't blame any dev for staying away.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
Telengard what's your opinion on the witcher 3 and its goty codex award?

Honestly if you're going to be a drama qwinn about a random guy on the internet calling you a faggot because a quest is bugged, I'm not sure I want to read what you have to say. Developers shouldn't be treated differently from the regular users. If you're worried about your (((((((public image))))))) and can't call the guy a faggot back and thank him for the bug report, just ignore him. Good fucking riddance, etc.

re: Gaider - never 4get

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/bioware-outsource-to-india.9418

Dgaider said:
... is simply too much to let pass without comment.
And we love you for that.

also, J_C I do believe it's zerotol's turn on the weekly "I fucking hate this place" routine.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
Telengard what's your opinion on the witcher 3 and its goty codex award?
My opinion.

Does it surprise me that Witcher 3 is Codex's GOTY? No. I never thought that Codex's favorite game was actual rpgs.

Do I think it should be #1? No. I think it is shameful that it is even on a list of rpgs that doesn't involve the name Kotaku. Maybe it should be on the best-of list of 3rd person action games, where it can compete against its fellow GTAs of this world, but I will have to leave that evaluation to those who are fans of the genre.

Do I understand what people like about Witcher?
Sure.

The gameplay is basic 3rd person action with mmorpg trappings - none of that being of any importance, except in the fact that it means the gameplay is simple enough to not get in the way of the true star of the vehicle - the character. The main character is your modern classic grizzled, middle-aged, highly-skilled warrior who has suffered a great deal of loss. This is a favorite character type for action fans - a type that they can also play in Metal Gear Solid, Nier, and even in Batman (the scars are on the inside). The Witcher Geralt then has enough of his own stamp to be his own version of the popular type, which thus allows action fans to fulfill their fantasy of once again playing the grizzled veteran but in a slightly new way. Then the above is paired with a moving enough story that fits the main character and the game's rpg trappings and C&C, and the game is all set to please the Alpha Protocol set that dwells here. So, you've got the action/mmorpg crowd and the action/story C&C crowd, giving you a sizeable base. And finally there is the juvenile James Bondian wish fulfillment that is the Witcher series' bread and butter. So, solid plus votes to be found therein, and the game does the one core thing that you need to do in these public votes in order to come out on top - it does nothing that really displeases anyone. It may not do anything grand either, but that's unimportant in this type of vote.

Then finally, in the grander scheme of things, the game offers a world of high-school level understanding and maturity, which is about on par with your average Codexerr, so the game doesn't make anyone here think - because thinking is something many Codexers find displeasing. They want to be told only things which they already know. So, the game does that, while at the same time being more sophisticated enough over the Biowarian/Twilight tween fare that they are used to so as to seem sophisticated enough to please their now sophistication-starved 30-year-old brains - brains that are well past ready to encounter much more engaging fare than is offered by tween melodrama.

And finally, and most important of all, far above anything else, it's pretty to look at. Never dismiss the graphics whore vote. And the Witcher threads are absolutely filled with graphics whoring to the nth degree, as you might expect. While graphics alone never scores a high vote, it's the major controller of that no-one-finding-anything-displeasing factor.

And so, a 3rd person action game gets voted best rpg. Coming up next decade, Codex continues to follow the gaming trend, just later than everyone else: Dragon Age: Origins, then Witcher 3, what else could 2026 bring but HALO: Infinite Squared GOTY.

laclongquan

Arcane
Telengard I am not disagreeing with your portrait of the average gamer around here.

I will point out that it's not that easy to cater to such niche as you painted it.

Because if it is, the Korean and Japanese game studios already have them all in the bag. Exploit the dumb gamers is NOT beneath their fists, you know. Something the westerner devs, a majority of them, have trouble with.

Reality do show, that the KR and JPN dont have it in the bag. Cater to that aspect of a gamer doesnt mean success.

That picture is not of the average gamer. It's just about the attentionwhore, obsessive, stewing-long-enough-to-write, aspect of a gamer.
Probabbly it's the worst part of a gamer you are going to see as a game devs. But it's not the whole thing.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FD6DZpz.png

This is so beautiful!
It's not just this thread, it's the whole codex in a nutshell.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would love to stop talking about politics when it comes to games and focus on gameplay, but every damn dev nowadays can't help themselves and keep forcing it in there. If not directly, indirectly on twitter, reddit and every other social site out there telling people of certain political affiliation not to buy their game and so on.

It's making it fucking hard not too. Just see Mass Effect.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I were a developer, I'd see the Codex as that archetypal cabal of witches the hero has to consult to learn of some mystery or prophecy. Yes, they are heathen, ugly, smelly, and disgusting, but they may give you sound wisdom (even if filled with profanity and copious amounts of shit-slinging) that, if understood correctly, can help you avoid future catastrophes.

Anyway, if there are devs reading this forum, no need to publicly announce yourselves. We understand. On your next interview, just use the words "punctilious" or "verisimilitude" and blink twice.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What do you mean "not being nice"? We aren't bullies in the schoolyard telling some kid he's fat. This also isn't a safe space and that's the point. This is probably the only place on the internet where we can, and do, discuss games honestly and without much fanboying. We sometimes even have informed opinions. Like I said, if I were a developer I'd jump on that opportunity, there is almost nothing better than knowing what other people honestly think of your work. Yes, most people's opinions are going to be shit and useless, that doesn't mean there won't be something constructive in the miasma.
Hahaha, keep telling yourself this bullshit! The biggest assholes on the Codex kept repeating this so many times, that even they believe it now. But the reality is that you can have the same discussion, opinion and criticism without calling names and acting like a jerk. Why would a developer came here? If he is not making a niche indie game, he would be called out in a dozen different names. And god forbid to have a different opinion, because even if you are called Tim Cain, you willl be beat into the ground and called a faggot.
developer_flag.png

why indeed..

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I would love to stop talking about politics when it comes to games and focus on gameplay, but every damn dev nowadays can't help themselves and keep forcing it in there. If not directly, indirectly on twitter, reddit and every other social site out there telling people of certain political affiliation not to buy their game and so on.

The Cultural Marxists say everything is political. Isn't it time we took them up on it?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Cultural Marxists say everything is political. Isn't it time we took them up on it?

I thought that was already happening, since the complaints :)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

I thought that was already happening, since the complaints :)

Exactly. They can dish it out but they can't take it, hence the whining for censorship like the common thought policemen they are. :lol:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And yet more devs (even 'famous' ones like Chris Avellone, Tim Caine et al) post here than any other forum I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom