Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How will they even create DLC for this game? Create another space station?
I didn't play Bioshock DLCs but since Rapture wasn't a fully designed place, there was room for new locations.
They could conceivably insert some meaty new side-quests.
In any case, we don't know if any sort of sizable content DLC is even planned.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So what is the kkk on this game?

The game the SS1 remake wishes it could be, or a game that wishes it was SS1?

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Expanding Talos I with DLC should be quite straightforward: Just add another subsection with more side-quests.

But where?

C_ejpwzWAAEZ3SD.jpg:large

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The protégé of SS2. It won't get much better than that in 2017.
It's the closest thing to new System Shock game that you're going to get anytime soon.
The dictionary definitions of damning with faint praise if I ever saw it.
Seems like a good one to skip.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

The protégé of SS2. It won't get much better than that in 2017.
It's the closest thing to new System Shock game that you're going to get anytime soon.
The dictionary definitions of damning with faint praise if I ever saw it.
Seems like a good one to skip.
You've obviously made up your mind already. Why even ask such a question then?

Opinions here tend to be highly positive, so you won't find much confirmation for your own feelings.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Expanding Talos I with DLC should be quite straightforward: Just add another subsection with more side-quests.

Or on the moon since in one of the files it states that is where most of the materials used on Talos 1 come from. Or perhaps they could expand on the events hinted to have happened at Transtar north.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...vice_from_Prey_lead_designer_Ricardo_Bare.php

Get some design advice from Prey lead designer Ricardo Bare

Building immersive-sim games is no easy feat, yet somehow that’s the ground that Arkane Studios has staked out for itself. With Prey coming out right on the heels of Dishonored 2, we took some time today to chat with lead designer Ricardo Bare about how he approaches designing simulation games.

It was a helpful chat especially if you’re a designer looking to make games like Deus Ex or Dishonored 2, games Bare has spent a lot of time on. For those of you seeking some helpful highlights, here are a couple of the subjects Bare went over with us on the stream (which you can see up above.)

Upending the tutorial area was risky (but the payoff was worth it)

Prey’s opening minutes include a faux-tutorial that imparts some traversal information to the player, but really doesn’t teach any of the game’s major systems in the way even Dishonored (another Arkane Studios Game) would. Bare attributes this design choice to creative director Raphael Colantonio, who wanted to pull the rug out from players, but you should know he primarily thinks it works because there’s a lot of humor to help sell the fake-out.

If you’re going to work on your own sim-type game, think about systems in loops, not fixed outputs

We quizzed Bare on what his advice for aspiring sim developers would be, and while he suggested simply just getting your hands on some game design tools and messing around with systems, he also advised trying to use those tools to create flowing loops instead of hard outputs or scenarios with fixed results.

Restrictions are good for designers

Later on in the discussion, we asked Bare about how he and Colantonio were able to balance their ambitious ideas without burning out their coworkers, and while he couldn’t tell us any specific ideas that got cut, he did say that listening to the restrictions placed on him by producers and artists helped him create some of the game's most unique encounters. (Which, for spoilers’ sakes, you’ll need to watch the video if you want to find out what ones those are.)

If this discussion was helpful for you, we’d suggest following the Gamasutra Twitch channel for more developer interviews, editor roundtables and gameplay commentary.

DeepOcean

Arcane

The game has the level design of Dishonored and the progression system of Deus Ex Human Revolution as base. They develop it a bit more by adding a gun that allow you to make alternate paths and jump jets that stop falling damage making easier to move around. The progression system goes a bit beyond the lets put points here to unlock this door of Deus Ex Human revolution and you have two choices, infecting yourself with alien material but gaining their powers or not infecting and having the security system of the station on your favor.

The bad is that this is an Arkane game and no, Chris Avellone didn't make their writing and storytelling get any better. There aren't interesting characters, there is no charismatic villain, the station is a bit lacking on personality, the writing and storytelling wont offend you but won't make you amazed too.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Or on the moon since in one of the files it states that is where most of the materials used on Talos 1 come from. Or perhaps they could expand on the events hinted to have happened at Transtar north.
Separate mini-campaign akin to Minerva's Den might actually work, yeah. But, question here is whether such a thing is already planned and/or in development, as I'm not too sure about Bethesda investing in a hefty piece of DLC at this point given how sales haven't been exactly hot so far.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Playing Prey makes me feel like a human vacuum cleaner. I'm hoarding so much trash to recycle that I'm planning to LARP as a maid with OCD for my next playthrough.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Separate mini-campaign akin to Minerva's Den might actually work, yeah. But, question here is whether such a thing is already planned and/or in development, as I'm not too sure about Bethesda investing in a hefty piece of DLC at this point given how sales haven't been exactly hot so far.

http://segmentnext.com/2017/04/27/prey-dlc-multiple-playthrough/

"Speaking with AListDaily, Creative Director Raphael Colantonio talked about the game’s longevity and confirmed that Prey will have post-launch DLC. However, he added that Arkane Studios has no plans to announce yet but said that the development team is “absolutely” working on post-launch DLC along with post-launch updates."

ciox

Liturgist

Honestly just those hardcore survival features combined with some extra randomization could already net you a lot of fun and replayability with this game.

That said DLC should focus on patching up the main weaknesses of the game, which are a fairly low amount of unique monsters and a fairly low amount of weapons to blow them away with. (far as I can tell upgrading "Lab Tech" only enables you to further modify two weapons, the Gloo and the Q-Beam) I wouldn't be all that hyped for a new level to play if it was filled with the exact same stuff

SumDrunkGuy

The Huntress Boltcaster is fucking bad ass in terms of how deceptively useless it is vs the number of times it's saved my ass from hoards of Cystoids and opened doors for me . Pretty impressive for something I initially thought existed purely for humor.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why are there so many homosexuals aboard the space station? Coincidence?
Are there more than 2? It never came across to me as forced, though. Slightly off, maybe.

I'm playing as female Morgan and I read some docs about her having a "relationship" with somebody named Mikeila. Either that's an unfortunate dude with asshole parents or our protagonist is a rug muncher.

So if I'm right that would make 4, but I could have misread something.
That's sad to hear, because that means that there's literally no difference between a male and female Morgan. I was kinda stoked to play a female Morgan just to see what things would change, who would've been my "former love interest" instead of Mikhaila, and so on. That's pretty fucking pathetic, honestly.

The Huntress Boltcaster is fucking bad ass in terms of how deceptively useless it is vs the number of times it's saved my ass from hoards of Cystoids and opened doors for me . Pretty impressive for something I initially thought existed purely for humor.
Yeah, the boltcaster is fucking indispensable once you learn how to use it. Renders cysts pretty much harmless. Only thing odd about it is that it seems to make sound in space.

One thing that pisses me off a bit when it comes to distracting opponents is that if you throw one of those Lure Grenades, Mimics don't seem to break form, and to react to it, an enemy has to literally see it, or they'll just ignore it. Incredibly frustrating when your aim is off by just a little bit and instead of pulling 3 enemies together, they all simply ignore it because it rolled down the flight of stairs, or landed in an awkward place.

Works great when thrown at cyst nests in zero-G, though, since it'll trigger the nests and keep pulling cysts towards it, making them kill eachother.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Honestly just those hardcore survival features combined with some extra randomization could already net you a lot of fun and replayability with this game.

That said DLC should focus on patching up the main weaknesses of the game, which are a fairly low amount of unique monsters and a fairly low amount of weapons to blow them away with. (far as I can tell upgrading "Lab Tech" only enables you to further modify two weapons, the Gloo and the Q-Beam) I wouldn't be all that hyped for a new level to play if it was filled with the exact same stuff
Yeah, the lack of certain weapons that our "genius-level intellect" Morgan should be able to cobble together becomes annoying fast, and I must say that I hate the lack of ironsight on some weapons. The fact that there's also only one melee weapon ever feels very meh.

I also don't understand why all pistols are silenced. Feels like that should've been an upgrade for the pistol. I also hate how the upgrade kits are one-size-fits-all. I would've preferred to see both unique upgrades for each weapon (such as a silencer for the pistols), as well as generic upgrades that could fit any weapon (scope/aimpoint/laser). The lack of assault weapons and such is a plot-point, and I understand that that shouldn't be something you can get on the station, but jury-rigging/modifying a GLOO-Rifle into a flamethrower should be something Morgan or one of the engineers aboard the station could do/could've done, and I wouldn't have minded a proper laser-pistol or laser-rifle. The Q-Beam is nice and all, but there's obvious offensive lasers in the game, and I would've preferred a regular laser-rifle to the somewhat nonsensical Q-Beam. Especially since there were people working on that exact technology on the fucking station, as evidenced in one of the missions.

Also, FYI, Lab Tech should also allow you to upgrade one of the most powerful weapons, the stun-gun. Don't underestimate it, it's well worth upgrading, especially it's range. It works on almost anything.

Prey should be praised for the fact that all the weapons work substantially differently, though. None of them are simple duplicates or damage-dealers. They all fill a unique role. Now, I'm not opposed to variety and I think that the game could've used a bit more choices and a bit more of a necessity to adapt (different ammo availabilities), and a bit more choice in playstyle, such as going full-on marine (which poses other problems, but nevermind).

But the fact that they are all substantially different is still fairly unique, these days.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom