Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb The best beginning in an RPG

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Dark Souls,
Might & Magic VII,
Arx Fatalis,
Morrowind,
Gothic 2,
Wizardry VII,
Wizardry 8,
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Any RPG that takes you through character creation and (if necessary) a brief tutorial, then spits you out into the game world/dungeon so that you're actually playing a game rather than watching/reading a narrative.

Daggerfall (which happens to the be the only Elder Scrolls game where you aren't a prisoner at start) does start you out in the Privateer's Hold dungeon before you can begin exploring the game world, but I'd probably include it in the above category since this dungeon is relatively small and serves as a tutorial.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fallout2's Temple of Trials is the best beginning.

If only it had Trask, the greatest character in RPG history...

But seriously, Betrayal at Krondor was pretty great. You're the hillbilly Luke Skywalker farmboy who just wants a good education and has greatness thrust upon him. Darklands was good in a half-assed way. "So... like... you guys who I met in a bar are Christian and so am I, so let's form a party, okay?" And PS:T starts out making you really want to know what the hell is going on.

Geckabor

Savant
Morrowind has one of the most memorable starts in a RPG in my opinion. Everyone who played the game knows about Fargoth and Jiub, even though you don't even interact that much with them. Finding the scrolls of Icarian Flight, the murdered tax collector quest and finding Caius Cosades are all fun moments and require exploration of the game world.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil. Party creation (even if you could cheat for all 18's...), followed by a different scenario to give a concise, logical reason for going to Hommlet. Actually being in Hommlet is a different story altogether....

Lufia was already mentioned.

Summoner 2. You're on a ship headed home during a terrible storm, then boarded by Pirates. The island you land on has bunches of secrets, sidequests to be completed in the now that require some thought (and a little trial and error), tidbits of information for future sidequests, traps that can debilitate you, an introduction to Maia's summoning / shapeshifting abilities, 2 paths to the Pirate Hideout, hidden loot, and an optional stealth mechanic once inside the hideout itself.

Demon's Souls. Kill a few enemies. Get raped by a 10 ton sword. Or kill said enemy with 10 ton sword, feel like a badass and collect miniscule loot, take a few more steps then get punched in the face by a Dragon God and die anyway.

Icewind Dale.

"Here within a dimly lit tavern, a group of travelers sit huddled around a table, swapping tales and making grand plans for the future, completely unaware of the part they are to play in the events that are about to unfold."

That intro music.

You just knew it was going to be an old school, cozy D&D adventure.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon Age Origins and AoD for origins stories are good intros but Morrowind and Fallout New Vegas are the best. Both are quick, to the point and teach you all game mechanics... Largely optional too. All those games with introductionary dungeon on the other hand (Fallout2, Oblivious, FO3, BG2, Skyrim etc...) are cool first couple runs only... then you start to look for skip tutoria/Free startl mods.

Mark Richard

Arcane
The peace of an idyllic town disturbed by violence and hints of the player character's mysterious heritage - In many ways the opening to Baldur's Gate 1 was typical RPG fantasy fare, however there was something about the furious exchange of magic during Gorion's last stand that made a huge impression on me. Maybe that's because the fight is performed in-engine and manages to look great without cutting to an over-the-top cinematic of Gorion performing a gratuitous cartwheel while flinging spells that aren't even in the game. Every spell cast is recogonizable, and the level of power on display is achievable. There's a real sense of 'One day... that'll be me. Only, without the horrible death.'

laclongquan

Arcane
Also Hammer and Sickle.
Hammer & Sickle is pure trolling in the finest Russian tradition~ It's nice, mind you~ You get optional starting item (and some are unique) based on class and stat. But pure trolling~

Silent Storm's beginning missions, both Axis and Allied, are very nice~ Though the one thing that mar their perfection is that they can not test heavy machine gun users and sniper build for that beginning. Which is fair excuse, but still.

Silent Storm Sentinels is okay in the same vein, but more suitable for S2 veteran gamer than newbies. If you dont know how to storm up the staircase in a blitz attack, it would be annoying to wait for them to go down.

mondblut

Arcane
Pools of Darkness (esp. after going through the entire series). You are back where it all began, recognized and lauded as heroes who fixed the thing - then everything goes completely fubar.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I forgot to add but King of Dragon Pass had a nice beginning too, going through myth and history of your people to define your build. Simple but effective.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I like the classic "group sits in a tavern" (Darklands, IWD) starts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom