Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duty and beyond (and various free AGS games)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have been digging into free adventure games on the AGS site for a few weeks now, especially the ones which got special attention (prizes or nominations in fact) directly on the site.

Many of them, if generally fun, are pretty short and are not of much interest past the fact they show that their creator would probably be able to work on a normal lenght game.

But some of them are interesting. Besides the obvious Heroine's quest (I haven't played A Tale Of Two Kingdoms yet because the Enhanced Edition is coming), and besides :
- Apprentice II : The knight's move which is a decent fantasy humourous one, of decent length (it's as long as your average recent commercial indie adventure game) with decent art and with good puzzles and serviceable story and dialogs,
435.jpg

I'm currently playing :
- Duty and Beyond which despite rudimentary graphics is a very pleasant humourous game, it's long, the puzzles are good and the story and dialogs are decent so far. The first real long sequence takes place in a submarine populated by fish-men.
747.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks for suggestions, I'm going to play the games.

I finished Duty and Beyond and I recommend it. The game is slighty weaker around the end but overall it is fun, the puzzles are good and there are even a substantial amount of optional puzzles ; puzzle-wise the game has nothing to envy to your average decent commercial game, and the game is longer than many of them. Regarding the story, you travel between several "worlds" which work, the story and dialogs are not transcendent but they don't hamper the enjoyment.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I remember thinking that the Chzo Mythos games were pretty decent. (Ben Croshaw's main claim to fame before Zero Punctuation.) I particularly liked that one of them had a parser. They're very self important for what amount to silly horror movie pastiches, but despite that there's a good amount to do in them and reasonably good production values.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Games 3 & 4 of the Ben Jordan series are both pretty good. Some of the older AGS games are actually quite excellent (Pleurghberg: Dark Ages, Cedric & the Revolution, Chickchaser come to mind). The Oracle was an excellent Myst-like. I remember enjoying the horror-ish game Prodigal. There's probably a lot more I'm forgetting, and it's possible I'm viewing some through nostalgia glasses as it's been a while. But they're free so w/e.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've played many of the AGS games. There are some pretty good ones.

-5 Days a Stranger
-Mind's Eye
-Donna Avenger of Blood
-Prodigal
-Reactor 09
-Stargate Adventure
-Infinity String
-The Journey Down

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks again for the suggestions, these games are damn fun.

This is made by the same guy who made Earl Bobby is looking for his balls, which is the second game of a trilogy but the first and third games are very short, I still recommend to play the first one as well which is brillantly nonsensical.
- Robotragedy is a hard game, no way I would have beaten it without bruteforcing (trying everything on everything until something happens) more than once. The art takes inspirations from the right place and I like it. It's also longer than your average commercial game. It may be made by the same dude who made the Apprentice games but I'm not 100% sure.
A sequel is available but I haven't played it yet (I will) so I can't comment on it.

- Professor Neely And The Death Ray Of Doom is a small Lucas arts-inspired game.
From the website :
srn+shot+3.png
srn+shot+1.png
srn+shot2.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom