Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Some news, games related at least :

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/ga...e_in_the_future_part_2/post6690?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/ga...e_in_the_future_part_2/post6696?as=1649904300

So, Oblivion and New Vegas aren't totally forgotten.

Also, the good vibes for the five first wizardry games comes from a night dive tweet :
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/834654791565316096

Last edited by a moderator:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Instead of pushing out these useless changes that nobody asked for, they could, oh I don't know, actually focus on bringing good games like Battle Brothers to their database and improving on their actual client?

But nah let's just waste time and energy on changing a hundred of these installers to include Galaxy. Don't worry guyz, we're gonna try and find some way to make 'em smaller, so ya don't have to download that big a file!

Jesus K Rice.

Naraya

Arcane
I thought I was being an out of touch, crazy old man for backing up my GOG installers to discs. Now I'm glad I did before all of them caught teh Galaxy AIDS.
Some time ago I've come upon a tool for just that, which looks more and more useful in the light of recent events. It's a free, Python-based script: https://github.com/eddie3/gogrepo

gogrepo

Python-based tool for downloading your GOG.com game collections and extras to your local computer for full offline enjoyment.

It is a clean standalone python script that can be run from anywhere. It requires a typical Python 2.7 installation and html5lib.

By default, game folders are saved in the same location that the script is run in. You can also specify another directory. Run gogrepo.py -h to see help or read more below. Each game has its own directories with all game/bonus files saved within.

License: GPLv3+

Features

• Ability to choose which games to download based on combinations of OS (windows, linux, mac) and language (en, fr, de, etc...)
  • Saves a !info.txt in each game folder with information about each game/extra item.
  • Creates a !serial.txt if the game has a special serial/cdkey (I know, not 100% DRM-free, is it?). Sometimes coupon codes are hidden here!
  • Verify your downloaded collection with full MD5, zip integrity, and expected file size checking.
  • Auto retrying of failed fetch/downloads. Sometime GOG servers report temporary errors.
  • Ability to import your already existing local collection.
  • Easy to throw into a daily cronjob to get all the latest updates and newly added content!
  • Clear logging prints showing update/download progress and HTTP errors. Easy to pipe or tee to create a log file.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
kinda liked them better when they were still an obscure company in charge of re-releasing oldfuck games
what's their vision now I cannot fathom
Improve their service?

Nothing wrong with Galaxy IF they keep it optional. The Steam client is very good and convenient, better than Galaxy, its only problem is DRM. If they can improve Galaxy to be more like Steam, keeping the DRM free aspect of it (which they will), then I will be more than happy.

People here are a bunch of crybabies.

Naraya

Arcane
Improve their service?

Nothing wrong with Galaxy IF they keep it optional. The Steam client is very good and convenient, better than Galaxy, its only problem is DRM. If they can improve Galaxy to be more like Steam, keeping the DRM free aspect of it (which they will), then I will be more than happy.

I respectfully disagree. To me, Steam client is an intrusive piece of shit, bloated with useless social crap and it doesn't even work half of the time. I hope GOG doesn't go the same path with Galaxy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Improve their service?

I respectfully disagree. To me, Steam client is an intrusive piece of shit, bloated with useless social crap and it doesn't even work half of the time. I hope GOG doesn't go the same path with Galaxy.
Meh, I only use Steam to buy and launch games, and to look at the storefront, I don't really feel that instrusiveness. But it's good to have those stats, good to have easy install. I'm not saying Galaxy should copy Steam 1:1, but it should provide the same comfort for the user as Steam. As for Steam not working half of the time, I can't really recall any problem with it. But I'm living at a place with stable internet connection.

Naraya

Arcane
Improve their service?

Meh, I only use Steam to buy and launch games, and to look at the storefront, I don't really feel that instrusiveness. But it's good to have those stats, good to have easy install. I'm not saying Galaxy should copy Steam 1:1, but it should provide the same comfort for the user as Steam. As for Steam not working half of the time, I can't really recall any problem with it. But I'm living at a place with stable internet connection.
Yes, I understand what you are saying but I'm kind of guy who hates things like achievements and all types of suggestions (I know what I like thank you very much).
Anyway, as for internet connection mine is rock solid but every time I start Steam client my network card drops the connection. It's infuriating and I don't want to deal with this type of crap.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
0a6f9ad8137b9d54707a70f1dbbac88a704386bdd5549bdf1ea68f364b2c273d_forum_avatar.jpg

Destro
Arbiter of Cool

GOG.com Team
From Poland

Posted 25 minutes ago
high rated

Thank you all for your posts in this topic, especially for all the constructive feedback. We posted on the forums expecting that many of you will be vocal about this. We want to assure you, that we always read your feedback and discuss it internally, even if we don’t always agree with some of it. You are vocal, so it means you care about GOG.com and we really do appreciate it.

Games have changed a lot in the past years and new titles made achievements, cloud saves and other online features become a standard rather than an extra. Sure, some do not care about these functionalities and we understand it. Having said that, we believe that if we offer games with these features advertised to the general public, then the default installation flow is expected to result in a game with these features working out of the box. This is our reasoning for including the option to install GOG Galaxy during the game installation, and we do stand by it.

Yes, there are things which we can do better - there always are. Reading your feedback and giving it a second thought, we decided on the following:
1. We clearly noticed - yes, we did - that many of you prefer the old installers (let’s call them “classic”) and prefer to manage their growing libraries manually. Therefore, once we roll out “new” installers with the option to install GOG Galaxy, we will add a separate download of the “classic” ones. Going forward we will offer the option to download “classic” installers whenever a game is offered via a “new” installer.
2. As mentioned earlier, we will work on making the GOG Galaxy installer smaller, but at the cost of it being online only.
3. We will launch the new installers in a couple of weeks once point 1 is ready. Point 2 might take a bit longer, but with the “classic” installer option available, this should not affect anyone.

One more thing to keep in mind: everyday we fight to make more great titles available to you, DRM-free. To release many of them we must support their online features, while at the same time developers request ways to automate upload and updating games. Without GOG Galaxy we couldn't offer many of the games we offer today at all, even if you don’t use GOG Galaxy to play or update them.

Once again thank you for your feedback. We hope the above answers your concerns.

Rabbid

Savant
Strangely, that's not another talking out of their ass PR statement that treats customers like braindead spoiled brats (we are, but that's a whole other story). It simply reads: "if we don't support it, we are ignored by partners who think that online functionality is the new norm, and we can't keep going if we don't offer them what they want in some way or another".

I appreciate the honesty. If only more spokespeople did that when addressing consumer bases (especially consumer bases diluted by "loyalty" and other brand-building shenanigans).

tldr: they will introduce classic offline installers along the new ones - expect to find them hidden in a help/support submenu :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't see what the big surprise is. Achievements are essentially part of a game's content, so before this the GOG version of a game was a less complete one than the Steam version. I'm sure there are plenty of people even on this forum who avoided GOG because of that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People who care about achievements in games should be shot.

"Care" is a big word. Even if you don't really "care" that much about achievements, given a choice between having them and not having them, most people will pick the former. You want the most complete version.

Mark Richard

Arcane
In more uplifting news, the BattleTech page just appeared on GOG as the Kickstarter promised. I'm sure there must be a bad game where you manage a mercenary group, but I haven't played it. Shadow of the Horned Rat/Dark Omen, Battle Brothers, Star Wolves, Jagged Alliance, Mount & Blade, etc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

"Care" is a big word. Even if you don't really "care" that much about achievements, given a choice between having them and not having them, most people will pick the former. You want the most complete version.

No, the users that tend to get branded as "Dumbfuck!", "Fanboy!", "Bethestard", etc want them, along with the console peasants and weeaboos. Gaming did fine without achievements for decades before they were brought out on consoles.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck this shit. Soon it will be mandatory. "Hey it will only make a check against the GoG servers so you actually own the game through galaxy, but after that it is DRM free we promise!"

Divinity: Original Sin

Well, not at all... My choice of buying on steam or GOG is not affected by the presence of achievements, since I don't consider it part of game content... it's more like part of the overlay content.

I confess that there's a OCD guilty pleasure on getting an achievement, but it's totally irrelevant.

Archibald

Arcane
Well its really due to already mentioned shift from niche market to "not-Steam" market. Initially people were into GoG because it brought back some old games and made them easy to launch + lack of DRM. As it grows in popularity and starts publishing more and more new games its audience changes and now you have lots of people who care about achievements.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I actually have Galaxy installed (and steam, origin and even fucking uplay) and it is pretty good now. Clean, non-intrusive, fast. Personally I vastly prefer starting it and let my games update automatically over hassling with patches manually. Way too lazy for that shit.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

No, the users that tend to get branded as "Dumbfuck!", "Fanboy!", "Bethestard", etc want them, along with the console peasants and weeaboos. Gaming did fine without achievements for decades before they were brought out on consoles.
gaming did pretty well with actual in-game rewards for particularly impressive feats, eg. defeating that one hard as fuck boss gets you a nice new weapon to swing at plebs
external "achievements" are what my language likes to call "flowers pinned to a sheepskin coat"

The best modern games used achievements in this way, as challenges that when accomplished would unlock secret/powerful items. TF2 originally did this as a means for unlocking the class updates, and Dead Rising did it extremely well with some very creative achievements, that would force you to play in ways you may not have considered, that when completed got you ridiculous items. But that's like 1 game out of every 100.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

No. And no, they're not part of the content. What, now I guess steam cards are part of the game content too therefore you need to buy the game on Steam and on any other platform with specific trinkets like these?
Disclaimer: I have no idea exactly what steam cards are.

But no. Achievements are not part of the game content. That would imply turning off your internet makes the game incomplete. Or even worse, that games without achievements are somehow incomplete. And yes, I realize there are people who believe that. But that's why achievements are exactly what Unkillable Cat said they are: ego stroking for moronic modern gamers.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'll forgive em if they release Dark Omen this week, or any fuckin good old game for a change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom