Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is nearly pacifist playthrough viable

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
So Ive been thinking... how doable is playthrough in which you would really limit your kills?

Im talking about master sneak character with interloper, burglar and ninja feats. Oddities would be grabbed by stealing. Killing would be performed by traps mainly.

I guess the first question is if you can steal oddity like robot part from unsuspecting robot

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sounds extremely not worth it. Traps aren't instakilling.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Deep Caverns content will definitely be a hell of a wall. Like, pretty much every boss fight in there.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sounds interesting. Keep us posted if you go through with it.

Vorark

Erudite
Might be possible through most of the game, stealth is really good. However, as Roguey mentioned, you might have trouble in DC. I recommend you to invest points in Lockpicking and Hacking, the latter will be specially useful if you decide to enter the DC through the alternate way. I was annoyed as all fuck because my Hacking skill wasn't enough at the time. Oh, Throwing might be another good one, EMP grenades (bombs? forgot the name) are good to deal with robots.

Good luck with the mushrooms, soldier! :salute:

epeli

Arcane
Trapper playthrough is doable, but you will learn to hate how heavy traps are if you actually do it. Or at least I did. There are no showstoppers and the biggest challenge is mushroom forest.

Nearly pacifist playthrough should also be doable, there are only a handful of encounters where you absolutely must kill: arena fights plus 2 bosses in Deep Caverns.

You can't steal oddities that would logically require you to kill the foe (piece of the creature or such), but humans have a bunch of pickpocketable stuff, some of which you most likely won't get through other means.

All in all, pacifist trapper run is possible but hard. Haven't tried it myself, but others have done it. You will inevitably miss out on a lot of XP and be low level all the way through. Lots of oddities you can't get. Lots of quests you can't complete. Obviously no kill XP if you attempt this on classic. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying this on your first playthrough; you probably need to do some build pre-planning or you won't be able to pass some of the skillchecks that let you avoid combat.

Lockpicking and Hacking, the latter will be specially useful if you decide to enter the DC through the alternate way.
It's also possible to
steal the elevator key from Eidein.

EMP grenades (bombs? forgot the name) are good to deal with robots.
EMP mines will also do the trick while staying true to the trapper theme. But that said, there's no need to destroy or disable any robots.

Good luck with the mushrooms, soldier! :salute:
Seconding this. :P

Black Angel

Arcane
Just get a Biohazard Suit, and the only trouble for you in DC's Mushroom Forest would be the damn chompers because they deal physical damage + bleed, while the sentry and the spitters can't even touch you.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
One thing I dont know: Is there anything in DC that checks all the following:
- cant be sneaked past
- is highly resistant to poison dmg
- cant prepare mines around the enemy prior to engaging combat(high sneak + quick tinkering)
Pulsating Roots? I don't remember if it's immune to poison anymore but the spore turrets see through stealth. So you have to do the trapping in combat while tanking pretty much everything on the map, fun times. The final boss is much easier, you can just stealth it. That's about it for DC. Just make sure you have enough persuasion to convince IRIS to shut down without a fight.

epeli

Arcane
Good point, you don't necessarily need the repair bot AI core...but pacifist run with no diplomacy? Hmm, that might work. I can't think of any showstoppers that absolutely need social skills. You'll have to skip some sidequests completely and solve others poorly or just start killing, but in the grand scale it shouldn't make a big difference.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's not your fault if some random critter falls into your friendly trap and dies! You can still be a pacifist! :D

Vorark

Erudite
Was taking things slow, kill count low(due to rats), broke in every house in SGS and junkyard and then... I suddenly feel weak. Quick health diagnosis(5 pts in medicine) revealed my suspecion: I carry too much!

You make Al Fabet proud.

Black Angel

Arcane
Could not stand idly by when gang war was brewing and joined black eels to try find some peaceful solution. Was hoping that overwhelming force and Jericho walls crumbling before me would make enemy surrender.

Didnt happen... My shouts were not heard. I thought that I just need to find a way of getting their attention.

Thats when I dropped a couple of flash bangs as they are hard to miss.
Lets say they didnt give me desired effect and I continued onto the next city to peacefully help them with their problems
Why not help the Scrappers, instead?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom