Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX - Top Roguelikes - Nomination Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Nomination thread for the "Roguelikes" category.

Rules:

- Always check the OP to see if the game you want to nominate has been already nominated. No need to nominate the same game twice: if it has been nominated, it will be polled.
- Please use brains when nominating games for this category. Don't nominate a game that clearly doesn't belong. That said, it is possible to nominate the same game for different polls.
- You can nominate as many games you deem worthy of being considered "the best" as you want.
- You can only nominate games you have PLAYED. Please, no one wants to see you post a huge list of games you have yet to play.
- Nomination format is FULL NAME OF THE GAME, with additional notes in case you consider it necessary: for example, if you want to specify a certain version of the game. This is particularly important in the case of Roguelikes.

A final word: please nominate games based on how good they are (fun or well made, I leave that up to you), not how important they are.

Nominations will stop counting starting Friday, May 19, at 01:00 AM (GMT).

NOMINATED GAMES:

To be polled:

- Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM)
- Brogue
- Castle of the Winds
- Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (CDDA)
- Caves of Qud
- Cogmind
- Crypt of the Necrodancer
- Demon
- DRL (formerly DoomRL)
- Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- Dungeon Hack
- Dungeons of Dredmore
- Dwarf Fortress
- Elona
- Fatal Labyrinth
- Frozen Depths
- FTL: Faster Than Light
- GearHead
- Incursion
- Infra Arcana
- Linley's Dungeon Crawl
- Mission Thunderbolt
- NEO Scavenger
- NetHack
- Omega
- Poschengband
- POWDER
- PRIME
- Rogue (Epyx, 1985, by A.I. Design)
- Sil
- Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME)
- The Ground Gives Way
- Tower of Darkness
- Ultima Ratio Regum
- UnReal World
- Zangband

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
ADOM's probably my favorite, jackals notwithstanding. (Apparently that bug has been fixed.)

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Dungeon Crawl.

What is it with all these top whatever threads recently?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Accepted.

I'm on the fence about these last two, if anyone could chime in:
Death Road to Canada is made in FTL format (which to be honest I consider to be a separate sub-genre from true rogue likes).
You have a set starting point and known ending point to which you have to prepare for during trip.
Game is a mix between action parts and CYOA events. Your characters stats (of which some are hidden), perks, available items and resources affect both.
AE937A8A9433BD7A4372EB5443557289D82E46DB

No big deal if you choose not to include it.
I would probably have voted something else.
Perhaps ADOM or Cataclysm DDA.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
OP updated.
Linley's Dungeon Crawl or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?

whynotboth.jpg

It's been ages since I last played Linley's, but from what I remember, it's a great game. Stone Soup is more... uh... streamlined, but it's been my choice of roguelike poison for the last few years.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
First and only bump I'll make for this thread, considering Roguelikes aren't exactly the pinnacle of popularity.

bataille

Arcane
Blinding of iseec.

Demon -- for those who want to catch them all;
Cogmind -- the nightmare of people with anxiety;
OMEGA -- the master of inventory management;
PRIME -- space marines versus ET;
POWDER -- a game of very few bits (eight);
Ultima Ratio Regum -- the dream roguelike that will never be finished (ever);
Brogue -- the perfect simulation of allies burning in lava;
Sil -- become a dwarven blacksmith (and then restart as an elf);
Frozen Depths -- freezing to death in some caves.

There also was that one roguelike that featured character development by the means of equipment, but I forgot the name. It was updated a few months ago after a two year long hiatus.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
DoomRL
- as it is widely known or "DRL" - its official name today since the author Kornel Kisielewicz ran into legal problems with ip owner.

bataille said:
Ultima Ratio Regnum -- the dream roguelike that will never be finished (ever);
In the light of recent Grimoire development - how can you be so sure about this one ? ;)
RLs are rarely considered "finished" anyway, many of them are a constant work in progress that is never finished or even finishable. The question is, is the author as... hard working... as DF's one and can he develop the game to a point where it is really big, deep and fun to play.

Also as much as i like the game FTL is a roguelite/roguelike-like not a roguelike. I know, i know... but if FTL can be on the list then what stops Binding of Isaac and other similar games - and i mean for real this time ?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom