Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Which of the top 20 RPGs have you played?

Which of these games from the top 20 of the top 70 RPGs in the history of the universe have you play

• Planescape: Torment

Votes: 275 89.6%
  • Fallout: A Nuclear Roleplaying Game

Votes: 268 87.3%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 266 86.6%
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Votes: 261 85.0%
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura

Votes: 251 81.8%
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Votes: 231 75.2%
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Votes: 252 82.1%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 244 79.5%
  • Gothic II

Votes: 170 55.4%
  • Wizardry 8

Votes: 145 47.2%
  • Deus Ex

Votes: 229 74.6%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 180 58.6%
  • Jagged Alliance 2

Votes: 175 57.0%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 164 53.4%
  • Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

Votes: 109 35.5%
  • Betrayal at Krondor

Votes: 123 40.1%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 272 88.6%
  • Darklands

Votes: 108 35.2%
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

Votes: 206 67.1%
  • Ultima Underworld

Votes: 116 37.8%

• Total voters

acer palmatum

Scholar
All except Dark Souls and Betrayal at Krondor.
Darklands and Ultima Underworld not very long though, if I remember right.

trotof

Educated
Played all of them except Dark Souls, BaK and Darklands. Completed the majority.
For some odd reason not interested in Dark Souls at all.
BaK is on my to-play list but there's a high chance it will stay there forever. I'm not into storyfaggotry these days.
Not sure about Darklands. I've played the hell out of Mount and Blade and Prophecy of Pendor in particular and from what I understand Darklands can't really offer all that much compared to PoP. Well, other than historically accurate depiction of Idontcareland and boring rtwp-combat, I guess.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played 14 of the ones in the top 20. I've beaten 11 of the ones I have played.

Aaron Burr

Educated
Not sure about Darklands. I've played the hell out of Mount and Blade and Prophecy of Pendor in particular and from what I understand Darklands can't really offer all that much compared to PoP. Well, other than historically accurate depiction of Idontcareland and boring rtwp-combat, I guess.

They're both medieval sandboxes with magical elements but that's really the extent of the comparison. Darklands has way more elaborate character creation and development, neither Warband nor PoP can hold a candle to Darkland's system. Warband's character creation is like a way way streamlined version, think going from Daggerfall to Skyrim levels of simplification and then probably even further. Darklands is also much more intimate and small scale than PoP, feels closer to a traditional RPG than Warband which is a blend between clunky RTS and solid third person combat. I love both of the games, don't get me wrong, and they definitely share some similarities, but to say Darklands doesn't offer anything over Warband is retarded.

Alkarl

Learned
16/20 played with 13 completed and 2/4 unplayed that are definitely in my near future. My rig has weird issues with NWN2 currently, so I can't really count that as played.

mondblut

Arcane
15/20 (no MOTB, KOTOR2 and newfag popamole shit... ok, aside from Bloodlines), finished 11 (no Darklands, Morrowind and both BGs).

Keldryn

Arcane
Played 17 of them (all except Mask of the Betrayer, Jagged Alliance 2, and Wizardry 8; I own all of those though).

Finished about half of the ones I played.

Modron

Arcane
Those Gothic 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 numbers are surprisingly low :negative:, played all but Ultima Underworld (didn't complete darklands, wizardry 7, or darksouls but I put in enough time).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That feel when The Witcher 3 leads the Top 25 Age of Incline RPGs, but no Wizardry-like made the list.

Just wait until Grimoire comes out. :argh:

Two weeks.

image.jpg

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Played all but Dark Souls and Wizardry VII; [unless I played WizVll, and don't remember it].

There should be a way to display the percentage of the list...played by each voter.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's frankly worrying that not everyone here as either played:

- Planescape: Torment
- Fallout
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Morrowind
- Or Dark Souls

Mark Richard

Arcane
19/20 played, 13 completed. 12 were bought in the year they were released, the rest much later. Somehow I missed the Fallout train, having no knowledge of the franchise outside of Fallout Tactics until a few years ago. When I did get around to playing Fallout 1 & 2, I was surprised at how well they held up even without nostalgia goggles.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
Played 18, beat 13 of them. I haven't beat Morrowind (although I recognize some qualities to Morro' I don't like the TES series), MotB (can't get past the crappy cam' and my potato rig doesn't like NWN 2), Jagged Alliance 2 (for some reasons I cannot fathom), Deus Ex and Darklands (but I've played the hell out of it and it is one of my fav' cRPG).

I haven't played to Betrayal at Krondor and Ultima Underworld, but I'm still young and hopefully I'll have plenty of time to do so. :)

Vibalist

Arcane
Let's see:

Planescape: Torment -
Played and completed once. I don't feel a strong urge to replay it due to the fact I got the 'optimal' experience the first time around by making a character with high wisdom, intelligence and charisma. Planescape is still one of my favorite RPG's of all time, make no mistake. I just happen to have this thing where, sometimes upon playing a really good game or watching a good movie, I don't feel like returning to it again. I like to just let the experience fester in my brain.

Fallout: A Nuclear Roleplaying Game -
I've played Fallout quite a bit. It's my favorite of the bunch. A very pure experience compared to the later installments

Fallout 2 -
Same as above. Fallout 2 is not as good as its prequel, but I've probably played it just as much.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn -
I've poured I don't know how many hours into BG2. As a kid, this game was everything I wanted in a video game. I must have completed it at least 5 times during my childhood, each time with a chaotic good sorcerer and the same party setup. :lol:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura -
I never completed Arcanum, but I did play it for a bit back in the day. The game got worse as it progressed and I lost interest, but the first three quarters or so were very good, as far as I remember.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines -
Steam says 192 hours. I honestly don't know how I managed this. This game is excellent, but this is borderline obsessive. Something about the atmosphere (and loneliness, I suppose) made me return to Bloodlines again and again, even if I knew absolutely everything about the game after the first three or four runs. Fun fact: I never in my 200 hours played as a nosferatu.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind -
I've played this, but never completed it. I get why this game is good, but I just kept reaching a point where boredom set in. This actually happens in most open world games I play, including New Vegas. There's something about them that promise so much, but many of them inevitably end up becoming repetitive.

Fallout: New Vegas -
I'm so close to completing New Vegas. I'm probably at the point right before deciding who to side with. Steam says I've put about 100 hours into it, but it's because I keep starting over. Like I said, open world games are more fun in the beginning, where everything is unexplored and mysterious. NV is still an excellent game, though. If you take into account I almost never complete sandbox RPG's, getting as far as I got speaks to its quality.

Gothic II -
I remember being so, so very excited when I bought this as a child. The first Gothic was really good, but when I played the G2 demo I was hooked. The various ways the game let you access the main city was a strange sort of highlight for me. It was because of the agency given to the player, which I absolutely dug. I joined the rebel faction because they were the coolest, although I do think I had a subsequent run as a mage. Gothic 2 was awesome, but guess what: I didn't finish that either. It got more and more linear, which turned me off. I disliked how the different paths would converge towards the end, although this was worse in G1.

Wizardry 8 -
I never played Wizardry 8. I just sort of missed it.

Deus Ex -
Is this the greatest game ever? Maybe. And I'm not even being nostalgic, because I don't think I played DX until I was in my early-mid twenties, at which it had been out for at least ten years. I wanted this game so badly as a kid, but never got it. I think I played the Invisible War demo which wasn't too impressive.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer -
This is one of my favorite games on this list. A modern (maybe not so much anymore) Planescape and all that. The fact there are so few recruitable characters is a good thing, as they all get to play a large role in the main narrative. This is how you write party members. They fit into the setting and have a reason for joining you. I'm still amazed at how much freedom this game gives the player. Doing things out of sequence, skipping entire sections of the game, going for some deliciously evil options... At the time I when MoTB came out, I had resigned myself to the fact that all RPG's offered cosmetic choices at best, but then I was proven wrong.

Jagged Alliance 2 -
I never played this. Sorry guuiiiiizzzz.

Dark Souls -
Yeah, I put a few hours into this. On PC. The controls were so lackluster I couldn't go on playing it. I have limits. Also, the game deleted my saves, for some reason. If one day someone decides to make a port that's actually good I might pick it up, but my tolerance for poor interfaces and shitty controls is low.

Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant -
Never played this.

Betrayal at Krondor -
Sorry.

Baldur's Gate - This was my first RPG. I had the version with 6 different CD's. I liked this game a lot as a kid, but maybe more for what it promised than for what it delivered. The second game is where it's all at.

Darklands - Nope.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords - Yup. I was obsessed with Kotor 2 back in the days. I also loved the first one, which I don't know if I still would today. This is a very good game. I found a really good LP where the author went through everything that was cut. I think it's stored on the LP archive.

Ultima Underworld - Didn't play.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Of all the Top 20 RPGs I played, I can legitimately say I would only give the following a second, third, fourth, fifth... or even a 9th playthrough:

- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - The most replayable RPG I have played.
- Fallout: New Vegas - The best and most fun RPG I have played.
- Gothic II - This one could probably triumph New Vegas, but because I had some stutter issues I decided to stop playing until I get a better card.
- Dark Souls - Great but infuriating game, I assume it is much more fun on repeated playthroughs.
- Deus Ex - Surprisingly fun, I definitely would return to it.

Everything else (Arcanum, Fallout, PS:T) is meh from head to toe.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - I've poured I don't know how many hours into BG2. As a kid, this game was everything I wanted in a video game. I must have completed it at least 5 times during my childhood, each time with a chaotic good sorcerer and the same party setup. :lol:

:negative:

curds

Magister
Played them all, but didn't check the boxes of MotB, BaK, Wiz7, JA2, Darklands or KotOR2 since I've only played probably less than 3 hours of each.

Played everything else extensively.

Finished every game in the top ten at least once except Morrowind and Wizardry 8.

Can I have my participation award please?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I played all of them but I still feel empty. Why?

I still feel empty. Actually, now I feel even emptier after realizing that not only I'm still in this place 5 years later, but I've played more of those games than Crispy being half his age, and finished as many as felipepepe while doing it for fun whereas he did it to write a book/post in his blog/show off to his nerd friends.

Please give me more despair ratings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom