Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
Larian is physically unable to create a story that isn't utterly retarded so they let players to create their own. Smart.
Divinity 2 was at least workable, and sparkling with good quality humour.
In conjunction with great atmosphere, supported partly by awesome soundtrack and partly by imaginative and inspired fantastic environments it held player's attention with an iron fist, even with poor itemization, weak worldbuilding (but still better than most other Larian games) and so-so gameplay.
It was a superb ride from, well, a bit after the very beginning, to the very end.

It's only DOS that really dropped the ball on both the world and story aspects. The story and storytelling elements are generally uninteresting and trite, oscillating between just boring and inane, and infantile - the only better accent was unexpected arrival at the shelter plane, although it lost much of its impact in EE due to excessive spoonfeeding. The environments are, well very competently laid out, designed and implemented, but uninspired comceptually.
All in all DOS ended up as little but a testbed for its (ambitious and very good) combat systems and (not so well used in actual game, but quite flexible and with a lot of potential) crafting engine.

As for the editor, there were three problems:
  • Lack of inspiring vanilla content
  • Limited and therefore limiting variety of vanilla assets - lack of races, etc.
  • Scripting, oh god, the scripting
While most of the editor was perfectly serviceable, trying to do anything using the built-in script engine ranked somewhere between banging your head against the wall and carrying water around in a sieve in terms of productivity and somewhere between having your nails pulled off and programming in COBOL in terms of pure fucking pain.

And since any mod involving anything beyond a sequence of battles has to involve scripting...
:dead:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Larian is physically unable to create a story that isn't utterly retarded so they let players to create their own. Smart.
In conjunction with great atmosphere, supported partly by awesome soundtrack and partly by imaginative and inspired fantastic environments

If I wanted to be super edgy and sardonic I couldn't have said it better.

The humor was agonizingly German, environments was drab high-fantasy fodder and what atmosphere? Only the soundtrack was genuinelly good, I'll give you that. The only reason I suffered through the fanfiction writing, inane plot and level design mess was the awesome combat, probably the best TB combat ever devised.

Nevertheless it was a GOTY of this superlatively prestigious site so I'm most likely terribly wrong and the writing, plot and lore was a Nobel prize level masterpiece.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
In conjunction with great atmosphere, supported partly by awesome soundtrack and partly by imaginative and inspired fantastic environments

If I wanted to be super edgy and sardonic I couldn't have said it better.

The humor was agonizingly German, environments was drab high-fantasy fodder and what atmosphere? Only the soundtrack was genuinelly good, I'll give you that. The only reason I suffered through the fanfiction writing, inane plot and level design mess was the awesome combat, probably the best TB combat ever devised.

Nevertheless it was a GOTY of this superlatively prestigious site so I'm most likely terribly wrong and the writing, plot and lore was a Nobel prize level masterpiece.
You take that back you fucking heathen, Belgian humor is nothing like those shitty fucking Krauts.

hivemind

it's because there is news post about it and people are talking about it just few posts above yours so I think you asking if people heard about it is a bit retarded

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Huh, interesting. I'm expecting September at the very earliest, December as a more realistic date, maybe even next year.

JasonNH

Augur
Nah, I don't expect it to be December or later. Swen definitely expected it to be out before Decemeber at Pax East. I'm going to guess October with November at the latest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm usually pessimistic about release dates because I always expect devs to release games close to the holidays. If you are going for a late November release, why not just wait 2-3 more weeks and get those sweet, sweet Christmas dollas? I suppose you are going to compete with AAA releases though, so maybe it's smarter to release them earlier if you aren't AAA.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The game just got an update. No patch note yet, but the announcement and KS update likely be imminent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom