Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Seems hiring based on diversity/sjw agenda instead of merit does wonders for the quality of your product.

Good fucking riddance.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It looks like Bioware's future now depends on the success of their new IP,if that thing flops too the day when Bioware joins Orign,Westwood and all the other studios wont be far away

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I guess having a degree in feminist theory doesn't automatically make you an amazing developer, and pandering to the SJW doesn't guarantee sales. Go figure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't it normal to downsize the team after the game is released?

It's normal when a game is mostly finished, which is usually a few months before the release, and no more content is in the pipes. Thing is at the time of the MEA release most of the Montreal squad was probably hard at work on the DLCs and part of the rest was deep in the sequel pre-production work. It seems all of that was scrapped.

Des

Educated
It looks like Bioware's future now depends on the success of their new IP,if that thing flops too the day when Bioware joins Orign,Westwood and all the other studios wont be far away

And it appears that their new ip wont even be a RPG. It will be some mmo fps like Destiny.

All bioware RPGs seem to be "on ice" right now.

I guess Bioware is fully transitioning from a RPG developer to a generic fps-adventure game developer.

Des

Educated
So Bioware, THE most creative and visionary AAA dev of yore, gradually declined into a mass product factory churning out Destiny-like shooters and endless Star Wars fodder.

Just as foretold by everyone with a brain when they were bought by EA.

This seems to be the final step of their prophesied ultimate decline.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Just as foretold by everyone with a brain when they were bought by EA.

Their purchase by EA only accelerated the inevitable; as their games sold more and more, they captured the mainstream market more and more. EA forced this on them, hoping that it would work the other way around.

only because of sheer number of retards blindly supporting it.
i haven't enjoyed a blizzard game since starcraft, which was just a reiteration of warcraft with a better background.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I don't think of this as Bioware dying... They died a while back. It's more like the end of the mimic that killed Bioware and wore it's skin.
Not like they could have had a return to form, as they weren't the original studio in the first place.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It looks like Bioware's future now depends on the success of their new IP

The only company that can jump on the bandwagon of a popular game type and actually succeed is Blizzard.

Because they either practice black magic or sold their soul to the Great One. They always take a popular game, make it worse and earn 10 times more. I still remember the day when I, as a gigantic fan of Dune 2, bought Warcraft and after an hour thought - wtf is this boring shit? W2 was better but also short, dumb and still couldn't compare to C&C. But it had SVGA graphix so it sold like drugs. Starcraft was great but also a hillariously obvious hodgepodge of Aliens, Predator and Warhammer. Diablo was amazingly innovative but it wasn't Blizzard's idea. WoW can't say, don't play MMOs, but people tell me it was pretty cashul compared to EQ. Starcraft 2 was little more than a fan service, we don't talk about Diablo 3, Hearthstone is one of the worst card games out there, HotS is Dota for retards and Overwatch an even dumber clone of the already dumb Team Fortress.

The only truly innovative game that opened a new horizons for the RTS genre was Warcraft 3. But it was just Warcraft with its retarded lore.

They always take a popular game, make it worse and earn 10 times more.

They know the right way to make something worse. Bioware gradually made their games worse the wrong way, and look where it got them.

The Blizzard method is to make games that are simple to play, but as addictive as possible. If you achieve that, nobody's going to care about the dumb story or the hodgepodge of a setting.

RepHope

Savant
Well I guess that's it for Mass Effect. EA said Medal of Honor and Dead Space were also going on "hiatus" and now those franchises are dead as dead can be. If this new IP bombs then Bioware will probably be taken out back and put down. I'm guessing that fear is why they delayed the new IP to 2019.

Don't really feel that sad, ME3 already pretty much killed the franchise, MEA just buried the corpse. A pity that there aren't really any other space opera RPGs out there.

decaf

Learned
Edit. According to my own memory, one Bioware person said KOTOR was so big it allowed them to delay Dragon Age for... ahem... ages, and make Jade Empire by themselves. KOTOR was apparently making so much money on its own that it was keeping them afloat just by existing. The game sold itself. But that's what happening with Marvel and Star Wars comics right now,

Guess that explains Marvel becoming shittier over time.

big money safety net = higher possibility of funding decline
:updatedmytxt:
I liked DAO... until I realized that all the highly advertised edgy bloodsplatter was not dynamic. :rpgcodex::decline:

pippin

Guess that explains Marvel becoming shittier over time.

The problem with Marvel is that Star Wars is practically the only franchise that's guaranteed to sell. Same happened to Bioware though. I do not think going to EA was unwise, trying to make their outsie image work for their inside workings was a real mistake otoh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom