Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview: Larian Studios

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ask about GM mode. Ask them if you can build single player campaigns with it.

JasonNH

Augur
"Do you plan to have staff dedicated to supporting the modding community when the tools are released?"

or perhaps more generally, "How do you plan to improve support for the modding community compared to DOS?"

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Will the game have developer console functionality this time around? It is often critical for debugging or resolving bugs, especially when we consider custom content. It might sound like something minor, but it's something I've seen developers overlook before and surprise, surprise, in those cases it always ends up being an issue one way or another.

Also, ask Swen how he always stays so energetic and positive. Unless it's just in the videos. Is he bipolar? Is it cocaine? I need to know, Swen-sama.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Are there circumstances where XP earned isn't shared across the party, perhaps when members are 'At War' or if leaving the group to complete personal quests?

Maybe the answer is already known, I only tested solo.

Ask about GM mode. Ask them if you can build single player campaigns with it.
I believe there will be an editor apart from the GM mode so that should be 'yes'.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Why do they have boob armor

I will never understand why heterosexual males get upset at boob/bikini armor in games.

Also ask if they are going to take their writing more seriously or stay in that silly/cringey style they seem so fond of.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
When is Avellone's character going to be added?

...that's about it really. The shit itemization is to be expected by now and they've said they won't change it for some mind-boggling reason.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ask him what he thinks of the current state of the market for old school RPGs. Kichstarter seems to be in decline, indie market oversaturated and many sequels face a steep decline in sales, even some high profile titles like Torment flop. Does he think that Larian expansion is a sound business decision in this light? Is this the end of the Renaissance?

Neanderthal

Arcane
Will we see Verdistis, Rivertown, Aleroth or any o other locations from Div Div?
Does he intend to finish off Damian plot at any point?

Efe

Erudite
will there be an option to increase animation speed?
what is the single most important aspect of the game that would never be up for negotiation?
also pls look into his eyes and ask him to reduce inventory management chores especially with crafting ingredients.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What does Swen think of other kickstarter RPGs? (InXile, Obsidian, HBS)
Would they be willing to make a game with more focus on non-combat abilities? (alignment, reputation, non-combat skills, etc.)?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Five years ago Swen's design philosophy was the FUME: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=7982

15) In a recent interview you've mentioned your design philosophy (?) , FUME (Freedom, Universe, Motivation and the Enemy). Can you explain it and how do you apply it in a game like DC?

So FUME is something I made up when driving towards a UK journalist a long time ago, I don't remember from which magazine. The mission was to convince him that Divine Divinity was going to be cool. I thought about what I considered important in RPGS, and arrived to the conclusion that the RPGs I enjoy the most are all about good character development. To achieve that I figured certain things need to be in place - the freedom to develop your character in a way that fits your preferred playing style (Freedom), motivation to invest yourself in that character (Motivation) and an environment that reacts in a fitting way to how you developed your character (Universe/Enemies). So I said to myself, if I tell him that, and I then show how it applies to Divinity, maybe he'll like the game, because I genuinely thought all those things were present in there. He didn't buy it, but that's another story.

Ask if anything has changed.

Also, when pitching D:OS he has having issues making people understand the game, since complex CRPGs had become rare: http://www.lar.net/2014/03/07/educating-players/

During a demo, I think at the German magazine Gamestar, I was told that we’d probably have to re-educate players because they’re not used to this type of gameplay anymore, conditioned as they seem to be by all the streamlining games go through nowadays.

Ask him if now things are better - maybe because of the RPG Renaissance in the past few years, or just people having played Divinity: Original Sin.

Jinn

Arcane
Ask why is shit itemization one of their core design principles.

Would like to second this. But rephrased: why continue with the Diablo-esque loot system? A game like this deserves great, unique, and exciting loot!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why do they have boob armor

I will never understand why heterosexual males get upset at boob/bikini armor in games.
You might not be aware but Swen posted a gigant wall of text asking why so few women played the game. Design catering to a straight male audience could be a factor in this, I don't know. I just wanna know his take on the issue.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1. Has Larian considered a GM AI mode for single player? E.g. for tweaking encounters on the fly, giving the player "OOC" feedback, etc.

2. Is Swen familiar with No Truce With tge Furries? The thought cabinet seems like a natural continuation for DOS internal dialogues.

3. Any further plans for cooperation with WotC? What would you say if the next d&d edition adopted the surface mechanics?

4. How do you manage juggling 4 studios working on the same game? (Or are they??)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
How old were you when your hairline started to recede?
Did you find yourself getting mildly depressed about this or did you embrace it as a more real you?
Did you ever contemplate wigs or hair transplants?
Did you find the girls/boys/goats/whatevers found you hotter/more noticeable as a result, or the opposite?
Do you think is easier having a receding hairline when you're really tall, because most people wont really see it anyway?
Do you polish your head?
Are things looking promising for a smooth and 'complete' initial release of D:OS 2?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
What are the chances of Larian making a sequel to Dragon Commander?

I know the answer will be "Not anytime soon (never!) but never say never" but I'd appreciate the question anyway cause I wanna see a sequel and so I wanna show interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom