Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The ones that got away

eggdogg

Learned
Maybe I am different but I assume everyone has done this. You are getting into a game, having fun, thinking about the game when you aren't playing and then....boom you just stop. The reasons for the halt could be anything, however, when this happens to me and I try and come back at a later time to the party/character I find that I can't fully engage with it/them so I end up starting from scratch or tossing the game in the bin.

I have noticed that from time to time I will think about some of the ones that got away. I had a sweet harem of cuties following and protecting Gaulen and seeing to his needs and I will never know what became of them. I had an evil rapier wielding sorcerer laying waste to Neverwinter in NWN2 he was primed for MotB and he slipped through my hands never to be seen again. I've had like 5 watchers go MIA in Pillars and I have yet to finish the game and I can't remember the last time I played Pillars. And on and on...hell I have even had parties in Arkham Horror that never were devoured and I can only assume have been lost in time and space for years.

What are you best character/parties that got away from you?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
She was beautiful but I was young and I ended up ruining everything. Yes, I still think about her sometimes.

eggdogg

Learned
She was beautiful but I was young and I ended up ruining everything. Yes, I still think about her sometimes.
tenor.gif

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
fuck dude this is a p autistic thread
agree
like how autistic do you ahve to be to actually play party based games
The fuck is wrong with you?

Also, just see the Abandoned section of the LP Threads thread.

My personal list of games include Might and Magic for a while, Icewind Dale(though there was a reason behind that), TES Arena and TES II Daggerfall.

mushaden

Scholar
I don't know about specific characters/parties, but as far as abandoning a game and not being able to return to it... pretty much almost every jrpg. Specifically pretty much every final fantasy game. I just lose interest for a bit and then when I come back to it I have no idea what I'm supposed to do/where I'm supposed to go

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you send someone a save state of your abandoned game, and they play it through to the end, does that make you a cuck?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Maybe I am different but I assume everyone has done this. You are getting into a game, having fun, thinking about the game when you aren't playing and then....boom you just stop. The reasons for the halt could be anything, however, when this happens to me and I try and come back at a later time to the party/character I find that I can't fully engage with it/them so I end up starting from scratch or tossing the game in the bin.

I have noticed that from time to time I will think about some of the ones that got away. I had a sweet harem of cuties following and protecting Gaulen and seeing to his needs and I will never know what became of them. I had an evil rapier wielding sorcerer laying waste to Neverwinter in NWN2 he was primed for MotB and he slipped through my hands never to be seen again. I've had like 5 watchers go MIA in Pillars and I have yet to finish the game and I can't remember the last time I played Pillars. And on and on...hell I have even had parties in Arkham Horror that never were devoured and I can only assume have been lost in time and space for years.

What are you best character/parties that got away from you?

I am the same way. Once you lose the motivation it is gone. And I always have to start over again. I can never pick up where I left off. The examples are too numerous to think about. I don't finish most games, even ones I really like.

Alkarl

Learned
I'm replaying M&M 6, while having completed it previously, I always have issues like this in games; I've got my party all spec'd out and built for the end-game but I'm just struggling to push through to that win again.

Personally, I find most game end scenarios to pale in comparison to their beginning/middle chapters. That old adage, "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey." certainly rings true for me.

I had a real tough time with Planescape, took me ages to finally play it beginning to end without taking a vacation between session.

On the other hand: Finish what you start! For fucks sake, be a man, ya know, treat your rpg with some decency and respect. Be upfront about your feelings. Then maybe one day, you too can have a harem of faithful/satisfied concubines.

Severian Silk

This has happened to me with TV. I watched Season 1 of Farscape back-to-back, then was unable to get Season 2 right away. Later, when I watched the rest of the series, it just wasn't quite the same feeling.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Witchaven. Lent a copy from a friend back in the days, and enjoyed it. Then he wanted it back before I was finished. Tried it again a couple of years ago, but the magic was gone and I couldn't get into it.

Mustawd

OP, that doesn't happen to me with games so much as with TV shows. Great shows that Injust stopped watching for one reason or another, but never got around to finishing them and probably never will.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Last time was with Battle Brothers... something just went *pop* one afternoon and my interest in the game dropped to zero Kelvins.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe I am different but I assume everyone has done this. You are getting into a game, having fun, thinking about the game when you aren't playing and then....boom you just stop.

I'd say about everyone game I've ever played. It's only due to gamer discipline I eventually return and finish them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If I care about a party enough to remember them, I will finish the game. If I abandon a game because I'm bored, I can't remember it. I abandoned a lot of shit.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Generally, If i've stopped playing a save in a game for over a month, I'll restart as the character no longer feels like "my character" unless I can remember most of what i'd done with my character up to that point. I've had to restart dragons dogma up to 4 times before I finished it because I would keep stopping and returning a month later, and not being able to continue with my current PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom