Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Early System Shock 3 concept art revealed at Starbreeze event

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; Starbreeze Studios; System Shock 3; Warren Spector

Back in March, we learned that OtherSide Entertainment's System Shock 3 was going to be published by Swedish publisher Starbreeze Studios. Today Warren Spector appeared at a livestreamed Starbreeze promotional event, appropriately called the StarStream, to talk about the game. The System Shock 3 segment of the stream was pretty short and apparently Warren didn't have much to say, but he did bring some early concept art with him. Polygon have written a brief summary of his appearance:

System Shock fans were treated to a new look at the game’s long-awaited sequel today, with new concept art shown off during a livestream event hosted by publisher Starbreeze Studios.

Polygon’s got some additional peeks at System Shock 3’s world, courtesy of Starbreeze, developer Otherside Entertainment and the game’s returning designer, Warren Spector. Both are pieces of early concept art meant to set the tone for the cyperbunk action game, set on a lonely space station years in the future.

Spector’s return to the series comes more than 23 years after the original System Shock, hailed as an innovative action role-playing game at its time of release. Although he wasn’t involved with System Shock 2, Spector told Polygon that returning to the series after two-plus decades was an easy decision.

“I produced System Shock and played System Shock 2 so I’m pretty familiar with the universe,” Spector said. “And there were some fictional loose ends to explore and tie up. That sounded like fun. Also, SHODAN. You know what I mean?”

SHODAN, the A.I. being that terrorizes the player throughout every System Shock game, is absent from what we saw today. Yet she’ll again play a significant role in System Shock 3, just as Spector told us last August. The game picks up where System Shock 2 left off, when — spoiler alert for the 1999 RPG — SHODAN takes the form of a human woman.

As genre-defining as System Shock 2 and its predecessor were in the 1990s, the concept — “you alone on a space station,” as Spector called it — has come to feel commonplace these days, in the post-BioShock era. The recent release of Prey, which pays obvious homage to System Shock developer Looking Glass Studios in myriad ways, may further point to the genre’s mainstream familiarity.

Now that System Shock’s setting and storyline isn’t quite so unique, is Spector concerned about System Shock 3 failing to stand out among the pack?

“I think having more immersive simulation games out there is all to the good,” said Spector. “Based on what I’ve seen of Prey so far, there are some similarities but I assure you we’re doing stuff that team didn’t do, just as they did stuff we’re not. I’m not worried about people getting confused.”

System Shock 3 remains a ways ahead; it’s due out on PC and consoles, but no release window has been specified. Spector mentioned during the Starbreeze livestream that the team would be “transitioning into pre-production” soon. For more concept art, check out the gallery below.

In the meantime, a reboot of the original System Shock is coming sometime in 2018 from Nightdive Studios.
Colorful! They're definitely going for a more System Shock 1 look there.

Rather indistinct and abstract even for "concept art".
Also, I can't remember when "immersive sim" became a thing. Has it been a year, a few? I have the (possibly distorted) impression it's a buzzword for Bioshock-like action-adventure (so not a "sim" at all).

Severian Silk

2D concept art does have an SS1 "feel" to it. Not sure it will translate well when recreating the art in 3D.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also, I can't remember when "immersive sim" became a thing. Has it been a year, a few? I have the (possibly distorted) impression it's a buzzword for Bioshock-like action-adventure (so not a "sim" at all).
Warren Spector used the term over a billion years ago but it got revived recently.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These concept aren't really telling much...

Edit: I mean... it's SciFi. There's neon. But what else? They are extremely vague.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Afaik the term immersive sim was coined by Doug Church back in the days of UU or System Shock 1. Personally I quite like it even if it is kinda stupid :)

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The game picks up where System Shock 2 left off, when — spoiler alert for the 1999 RPG — SHODAN takes the form of a human woman.
Romance is imminent!

8822F6F33727EEA4D0C763C34B02D7AD60A4B2BF

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
2D concept art does have an SS1 "feel" to it.

Tru. Now let's hope the rest of the game will too - cool, adult, unique - and not SS2 which is mechanically great but as for the setting and atmosphere it's just a glorified zombie basher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom