Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Padzi

Arbiter
You probably put more thought into this than the writer(s) did. :lol:

I probably burned more calories thinking about this than those two authors did writing the book. I should sue them for my calorie deficit.

Meanwhile, every cell in my body craves to be finally done with this modern masterpiece.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The funny things is that in the game itself, Addison is genuinely useless at her job at the best of times, and dangerously incompetent at the worst. The highlight of this being the time she tried to hire a group of outcast mercenaries, essentially a band of pirates, to guard convoys of initiative ships, then desperately trying to cover it up when, shock of all shocks, the outcasts decide to take the money and attack the ships anyway. Ryder, being the useless cuck that he is, does absolutely nothing to ensure Addison is punished or removed from power from this stunning act of idiocy. One of your companion's sisters promises that she'll ensure the Nexus knows about it, but nothing ultimately comes of it.

donkeymong

Scholar
I was going to write the second part of this summary after finishing reading Nexus Uprising, but the book forced me to do it now. I'm at the halfway point and the amount of "wonderful things" is just becoming more and more overwhelming with each chapter. I blame Jarun Tann for that. Why, you ask?

Take all the things that annoyed you the most in Mass Effect like for example, Udina, ME ending or Kai Leng. And now imagine you being the author and taking out all your hate on one character - Jarun Tann.At the beginning I thought everybody hates him because... dunno. They are all stressed out, because of the dangerous situation they are in, and suddenly this Salarian takes over command from Jien Garson.Maybe that's it.

No. The writers didn't bother themselves with providing a good reason why am I suppose to dislike this Salarian. Meanwhile he is being treated like the worst person on Nexus from the moment he opened his eyes.

Everywhone (especially Sloane Kelly) blames him for everything (when it's not his fault). And if he wants to implement an idea they do not approve of they just block him outright. And of course when something goes wrong it is of course Jarun Tann's fault - no matter that he can't actually do anything. But it goes further than that. They have thoughts like "there is danger up a head - I bet Jarun Tann would shit himself with fear." Jarun Tann that, Jarun That this. And the worst thing about this is that within the 3 (4 if you add Kesh) people rulling over Nexus he is the only one with ideas based on actual logic. But no! Screw Tann. You are going to hate him and that is final.

1. Nexus is in danger?
Tann - "let's take one the shuttles and check out nearby planets. Maybe we can find some food and water there."
Sloane Kelly - "Are you insane? No! We have to sit here on our butts and fix the Nexus! And if the Nexus is in danger how will we escape?! Huh?!"
Tann - "..."

Tann - "If I have to sacrifice ten people to save 10k I will.
Sloane Kelly - "Starts barking at him that he is nuts and all that stuff"

3.Nexus had a malfunction and only 2 people know the code that can defrost the remaining 19k colonists.
Tann - "Listen, there's only 2 of you, if someone happens to you we will lose the codes, it is wise to let more people know it. Share the code with me.
Kesh and Calix - "Are you nuts?! Are you ready for such responsibility!? Fine, we will compromise, we will encrypt the codes in Sloane Kelly's files so there will be 3 people with that knowledge and fuck off. She said she doesn't give a fuck, and she won't even look at them, but we are going to do it just to so you can have your shitty compromise."
Tann - "..."

4. Addision is going through a depression, because she is feeling useless on the Nexus.
Tann - "Sloane, listen. Addision is feeling down, as a Salarian that doesn't fully understand human females I could say something stupid. You are a human female too, can you talk to her? Cheer her up."
Sloane - "proceeds to bark at Tann (because she is cool and doesn't give a fuck yet again). You think I did not notice!? Blah, blah, blah I noticed like ages ago, geez, fine I'll do it."
Tann - "..."
(and yet Sloane still didn't talk to Addison)

:deathclaw:

No, seriously. I sometimes feel really sorry for him. Sloane is too cool for school, Addison is useless - if she wasn't in the book nothing in the plot would change. Tann wants to use logics but nobody really cares. And for some reason everyone idolizing Sloane... and Kesh who just keepks crying that nobody is thanking the Krogan for what they are doing and it's hard work (really, bitch? everyone loves your job).

Besides that, the writers seem to be tired or bored with going into Sloane's mind (but what can you do with someone who is always a badass and uncaring?) So they, are throwing in a plethora of random characters. That do nothing, disappear just fast as they appeared or just die. But hey, we get these flowery descriptions that this guy is like that, and this guy is like this. We even have a married gay couple, but their relationship is in troubled, but they still love each other! It adds nothing, but look! DIVERSITY!

There are also mini story arcs like those shitty 10 minute side-quests that Shepard did. Suddenly an evil Salarian appears! And he is very effective! Evil Salarian without any good explanation wakes up another 10 evil buddies! Sloane has to stop those 11 degenerates, or else they will get away with hostages on a shuttle! To where? How am I suppose to know? They just want to leave the Nexus! No matter that no one ever left it and they don't know what's outside. They are just escaping. So when the fightning starts and Kelly's men are fighting that evil Salarian. To me it looked like this:

:popamole:

Kelly is suddenly fighting against a female version of Dolph Lundgren. A walking wall of muscles and not much else. A behemoth! That's a huge bitch! And their flawless dialogue looks kinda like this:
Sloane Kelly - "Bitch, you're extra thicc! Tell me your secret!"
Extra Thicc Monstrostiy - "I was lifting heavy cargo for like 7 years".
Then Kelly defeats the thicc evil bitch.

Oh, and I almost forgot. 90% of men on the Nexus are acting like retarded cucks. They are entirely devoid of even the smallest trace of testosterone and their king is William Spender.

"Wonderful" book. And there is still half of it left. It is all Jarun Tann's fault.

So Tann is the Wladimir Putin of the Nexus? Modern day writers are as retarded as a lot of mainstream journalists?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is just sad: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-10-how-to-save-mass-effect-andromeda

How to save Mass Effect Andromeda
"What's past is prologue."

jpg

The details of Mass Effect 3's ending controversy need not be recounted, as it remains one of gaming's most pervasive disappointments. The damage it did to BioWare's reputation is still, rightly or wrongly, part of the ongoing conversation about the developer.

The long-awaited Mass Effect Andromeda needed to be near-perfect if it was to have any hope of restoring the series to the acclaim it once enjoyed, and while it's nowhere near as bad as some quarters insist, even its most ardent supporters can't escape the conclusion that Andromeda left a lot to be desired. A lot. Tonnes.

So Mass Effect is still down, but it's not out. While it hasn't won everyone back, Andromeda might well have nudged Mass Effect to a place where it could, by learning the right lessons from its past and embracing the distance it has travelled. But what are those lessons?

What's the background? The first Mass Effect was a revelation upon release. The Xbox 360, the greatest console of all time until it wasn't, was in its honeymoon period. The generational leap from the CRT era into a new age of enormous, pin-sharp, flat-screen televisions - and the requisite GPU power to drive them - represented the kind of foundational shift in gaming that hadn't been seen since the advent of textured polygons. To the contemporary observer, Mass Effect looked a bit like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, a film which - while rubbish - is considered something of a watershed moment in reaching, if not quite escaping, the uncanny valley. Except now it was running in real-time on a home console. The future had arrived, in glorious 720p.

That's probably why it took a few months for the cracks to show. The gunplay was a bag of arse, the conversation system was as stilted as conversation systems ever were, and driving that daft space-car around? Good lord, how did we ever cope.

Sound familiar? Aside from its combat, which retains the slickness of the sequels, Andromeda has resurrected many of the original game's issues.

Mass Effect 2 arrived in 2010, having expelled much of the guff. Its RPG systems were simplified, as were its environments. That infamous space-car, the Mako, had been consigned to the dustbin of history along with the sparse planetary surfaces it had trundled across. The game's cutscenes and conversational sequences were noticeably more cinematic, at a time when that was yet to become a dirty word. They had camera moves and walking and all sorts. Its stages were more tightly orchestrated, and the narrative device of an urgent suicide mission kept the pace up with an unprecedented sense of momentum. Mass Effect was a Ridley Scott film, and Mass Effect 2 was its jarhead James Cameron reinvention.

Mass Effect 2 was shorter, sleeker, and tonnes more fun. Accusations of dumbing-down or becoming too much of an action game bounced right off it, and to this day it's by far the collective favourite.

Andromeda introduced a lot of guff of its own. In particular, its crafting system is a convoluted mess which requires two separate screens and more currencies than a Bureau de Change. On top of that, we have to drive around planets again, this time in a vehicle that handles like a Volvo estate and has even fewer guns. Objectives are spread thinly over miles, and there aren't any Thresher Maws to break the monotony.

The result is a lot of bloat that obscures much of the genuinely good stuff Andromeda has to offer. So here's a starting point, then: any sequel to Andromeda needs to take heed of Mass Effect 2's relentless un-guffing of the format, drop any pretensions of being a Proper CRPG and get back to letting us Vasquez the shit out of impossible odds. Give us a load of big guns. Motivate us with a big red countdown to doomsday. And cut the crap.

Next? Ditch the open worlds.

Dragon Age: Inquisition did much to get Bioware's other flagship series back on track after it flunked a sequel. However, it is responsible for much of the guff in Andromeda's atmosphere. Drawing unfavourable comparisons to bloated MMOs, Inquisition focused heavily on delivering huge play areas, having been directly inspired by the open world of rival Bethesda's Skyrim, which was said to have "changed the landscape of role-playing games" by Dragon Age's executive producer Mark Darrah in an interview with Gamesindustry.biz back in 2014, citing its enormous sales figures.

He certainly had a point. Skyrim's runaway success has seen it become a mainstay in the charts for six years - an eternity as far as the games market is concerned. At one point, after it was remastered, it occupied two places in Steam's top ten. Couple that with the extraordinary critical and commercial success of The Witcher, which made the jump to open world with its third game and became regularly touted as the best RPG ever made by every Tom, Dick and Harry you never asked, and it seems like a no-brainer for BioWare to follow suit.

Except BioWare is, demonstrably, not very good at open worlds (granted, the jury's out on whether Bethesda is either). Between Dragon Age and Mass Effect it's had two cracks of that whip, and on both occasions we ended up spending a lot of time fannying around doing busywork when we should have been saving the galaxy/continent/spirit realm.

With Mass Effect 2, the first game's arduous exploration parts were replaced with curated, action-heavy vignettes. We still travelled the length and breadth of the galaxy, but every planetfall started a mission, not a sunday drive. Hub locations were compact, and packed with interesting diversions.

It demonstrated, as other BioWare games have, that there are plenty of ways to show us a big universe without having us meander through every inch of it. Andromeda 2's de-guffing should start with re-discovering them.

Now, let's talk about tone. And let's talk about Joss Whedon.

Barely any dramatic tension in Andromeda goes unbroken by a quip. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Whedon, the filmmaker behind seminal 90s sitcom Buffy the Vampire Slayer is reported to have said of superhero movies: "Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke."

He was onto something, as the capacity to crack a smile (or lack thereof) has become a focal point in the ongoing war between Marvel and DC's respective movie franchises, wherein the former has a house style defined by auteur Whedon, who likes fun, and the latter is helmed by auteur-ish Zack Snyder, who apparently doesn't. As far as critical reception is concerned, they're not in the same league.

The problem with Andromeda's jokes is that few of them are particularly funny. Most are just weird, appearing out of nowhere and skewering the tone like a pool cue ripping felt. Giving levity to the serious matter of Space Bullshit is not an easy thing to do. Writers like Whedon make it look easy, but it's an extraordinarily hard thing to balance giving the audience a break with keeping them in the moment.

It's not as if Mass Effect doesn't provide enough pause to work in some frivolity. Between missions, there are extended sequences on board a spaceship where the player is encouraged to kick back with the crew, and it's in these moments where Andromeda's playfulness is given enough oxygen to work. The Tempest is host to some great character moments, like the bizarre Movie Night sequence which requires a near endless string of galaxy-spanning tasks to be completed before it can be triggered, absurdly taking fifty hours of gameplay to get the crew together on Ryder's couch in a possibly accidental but nonetheless brilliant send-up of the laborious nature of RPGs. It's a cruel joke, but it's worth the effort.

BioWare's writers have one of the hardest jobs going, but unless Whedon joins the staff, they're not equipped to do what he does. Fortunately, Mass Effect is built in such a way that they don't need to.

Finally, how's that branding working out?

Laying Mass Effect to rest, instead of keeping it upright in its current Weekend At Bernie's state, may be the only way to preserve its legacy. Andromeda certainly doesn't need to constantly remind its players of older, better games; it has plenty of battles to fight without having to compete with its own nostalgia.

Of course, it could never completely remove itself from its parent franchise. But by removing the Mass Effect branding and becoming known simply as 'Andromeda', it can move forward with the implicit intent of becoming its own thing. The first game already made great progress in this direction. It's separated from its predecessor by millions of light years and a six centuries, while key features like the paragon/renegade system have been unceremoniously jettisoned - one of the few changes that internet commentators weren't immediately averse to.

However, it caters amply to those with longings for its past with audio diaries, Citadel flashbacks, and a smattering of other side-content that calls back to the Milky Way. Relatives and colleagues of the original's minor characters are disproportionately represented in the Andromeda Initiative which, for a galaxy with a population in the tens of billions, feels like a stretch.

Andromeda 2 needs to cut the cord, decisively and forever, if it is to have any hope of escaping the expectations - good and bad - set by its origins. Travelling to the other side of the universe may have been conceived as a convenient escape from having to address ME3's cul-de-sac of an ending, but it now provides an excellent opportunity to outrun ghosts of the past.

If Bioware wanted to rely wholly on brand nostalgia to buff the nerdy spaceship side of their business, it might be better advised to throw Andromeda in a skip and make KOTOR 3 instead. Indeed, if Mass Effect fans are looking for hope, they need only look to Star Wars - the behemoth property to which Mass Effect quite directly owes its existence - which had its own wilderness years in the not too distant past.

That's not to say the methods which revitalised Star Wars will work for Mass Effect; obviously, the comparison only works at a glance. Nevertheless, the older saga stands today on the cusp of a second golden age, shepherded by a new generation of creators as living proof that what is loved endures.

Mass Effect is loved, and it can endure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another one of those "let's make ME grate again - a linear cover shooter1!!1!" imbecile arguments. But I've decided I'd not get angry over mainstream journo dumbfuckery 10 years ago and I'm sticking to it. I'm so calm right now.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.pcgamesn.com/ea-q4-2017-earnings-call-mass-effect-andromeda
Mass Effect: Andromeda attacked in EA earnings call, analyst asks if there will be "developer turnover"

Mega-publishers EA fielded questions from investors and analysts on their latest earnings call, as is usual at the end of every quarter. What’s less usual is one of those questions saying a game didn’t “hit the mark”, and asking if there will be “any change in leadership, or developer turnover”.

The question came from Mike Hickey, an equity researcher at The Benchmark Company. Hickey also referenced the news, announced earlier on the call, that Bioware’s new IP - codenamed 'Dylan' - is delayed. Here’s what he said:

“Mass Effect, I think from a quality perspective, didn't exactly hit the mark. And it looks like we've now delayed the anticipated new IP, which sometimes is also tied to quality. So, curious if there's any change in leadership, or developer turnover. [What’s up] internally within Bioware?”

The implication is that Andromeda's reception coupled with the delay to Dylan could warrant layoffs, which is quite a thing to suggest on one of these calls. EA’s CEO Andrew Wilson responded, offering a few concessions up front.

He says Andromeda “was in development for a really long time”, and admits that “overall, the aggregate review scores were lower than we would have liked”. He also notes the fanbase for the game is “very passionate, looking for very particular things. And many players found exactly what they're looking for and some players did not.”

Nonetheless, Wilson leaps to Bioware’s defence. He points out that “we did have over 100 reviewers score the game at 80 or higher,” and points to Bioware’s forthcoming content schedule, saying “new multiplayer content is continuing to be released and new content arriving overall more regularly. We're very happy with how Bioware is doing, how Bioware is treating Mass Effect. And our expectations for Mass Effect are still strong for the future and the franchise overall.”

As for Dylan, Wilson says the decision to delay it is “completely unrelated” to the response to Mass Effect, chalking it up to the quirks of the “creative process”. Emphasising the importance of innovation in the games industry, he says Bioware’s new game will leverage EA’s network, cross-platform presence, and scale, aiming to do things that have “never been done before, and we don’t think anyone is going to do anytime soon”. Accordingly, “we chose to give the team some more time to deliver”.

Early buzz around this mysterious IP suggest it borrows from 'social shooters' or 'mini-MMOs' like Destiny and The Division, which the vocabulary EA are using (throwing about words like “social”, “cross-platform” and “live service”) would seem to support. Given how well those titles are doing for arch-rivals Activision and Ubisoft, it's entirely plausible that EA would want a piece of that market.

Concluding, Wilson reiterates: “we’re very happy with Bioware. Bioware has continued to support Mass Effect, and the new team is doing some amazing things, and you'll hear more about that in the months to come.”

You can check out the full transcript of the earnings call over at Seeking Alpha.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's it, the next Mass Effect will be an Overwatch clone.

Sure, let them compost this shitty series into something more useful. I like some mindless shooting after work and would play Overwatch if it wasn't for Blizzard's trademark insuferably juvenile aesthetics. Just like imma not go to a movie theater to see Frozen imma not play Overwatch. An Overwatch clone that's actually gory and grimdark would be welcome.

Padzi

Arbiter
The funny things is that in the game itself, Addison is genuinely useless at her job at the best of times, and dangerously incompetent at the worst. The highlight of this being the time she tried to hire a group of outcast mercenaries, essentially a band of pirates, to guard convoys of initiative ships, then desperately trying to cover it up when, shock of all shocks, the outcasts decide to take the money and attack the ships anyway. Ryder, being the useless cuck that he is, does absolutely nothing to ensure Addison is punished or removed from power from this stunning act of idiocy. One of your companion's sisters promises that she'll ensure the Nexus knows about it, but nothing ultimately comes of it.

Addison is overall a failure of a human being. And the fact that she is keeping someone like William Spender so close to her and thinks that he is cool is just another argument to get rid of her. This guy keeps behaving like he wants to skin people alive and wear their skins.

I was going to write the second part of this summary after finishing reading Nexus Uprising, but the book forced me to do it now. I'm at the halfway point and the amount of "wonderful things" is just becoming more and more overwhelming with each chapter. I blame Jarun Tann for that. Why, you ask?

Take all the things that annoyed you the most in Mass Effect like for example, Udina, ME ending or Kai Leng. And now imagine you being the author and taking out all your hate on one character - Jarun Tann.At the beginning I thought everybody hates him because... dunno. They are all stressed out, because of the dangerous situation they are in, and suddenly this Salarian takes over command from Jien Garson.Maybe that's it.

No. The writers didn't bother themselves with providing a good reason why am I suppose to dislike this Salarian. Meanwhile he is being treated like the worst person on Nexus from the moment he opened his eyes.

Everywhone (especially Sloane Kelly) blames him for everything (when it's not his fault). And if he wants to implement an idea they do not approve of they just block him outright. And of course when something goes wrong it is of course Jarun Tann's fault - no matter that he can't actually do anything. But it goes further than that. They have thoughts like "there is danger up a head - I bet Jarun Tann would shit himself with fear." Jarun Tann that, Jarun That this. And the worst thing about this is that within the 3 (4 if you add Kesh) people rulling over Nexus he is the only one with ideas based on actual logic. But no! Screw Tann. You are going to hate him and that is final.

1. Nexus is in danger?
Tann - "let's take one the shuttles and check out nearby planets. Maybe we can find some food and water there."
Sloane Kelly - "Are you insane? No! We have to sit here on our butts and fix the Nexus! And if the Nexus is in danger how will we escape?! Huh?!"
Tann - "..."

Tann - "If I have to sacrifice ten people to save 10k I will.
Sloane Kelly - "Starts barking at him that he is nuts and all that stuff"

3.Nexus had a malfunction and only 2 people know the code that can defrost the remaining 19k colonists.
Tann - "Listen, there's only 2 of you, if someone happens to you we will lose the codes, it is wise to let more people know it. Share the code with me.
Kesh and Calix - "Are you nuts?! Are you ready for such responsibility!? Fine, we will compromise, we will encrypt the codes in Sloane Kelly's files so there will be 3 people with that knowledge and fuck off. She said she doesn't give a fuck, and she won't even look at them, but we are going to do it just to so you can have your shitty compromise."
Tann - "..."

4. Addision is going through a depression, because she is feeling useless on the Nexus.
Tann - "Sloane, listen. Addision is feeling down, as a Salarian that doesn't fully understand human females I could say something stupid. You are a human female too, can you talk to her? Cheer her up."
Sloane - "proceeds to bark at Tann (because she is cool and doesn't give a fuck yet again). You think I did not notice!? Blah, blah, blah I noticed like ages ago, geez, fine I'll do it."
Tann - "..."
(and yet Sloane still didn't talk to Addison)

:deathclaw:

No, seriously. I sometimes feel really sorry for him. Sloane is too cool for school, Addison is useless - if she wasn't in the book nothing in the plot would change. Tann wants to use logics but nobody really cares. And for some reason everyone idolizing Sloane... and Kesh who just keepks crying that nobody is thanking the Krogan for what they are doing and it's hard work (really, bitch? everyone loves your job).

Besides that, the writers seem to be tired or bored with going into Sloane's mind (but what can you do with someone who is always a badass and uncaring?) So they, are throwing in a plethora of random characters. That do nothing, disappear just fast as they appeared or just die. But hey, we get these flowery descriptions that this guy is like that, and this guy is like this. We even have a married gay couple, but their relationship is in troubled, but they still love each other! It adds nothing, but look! DIVERSITY!

There are also mini story arcs like those shitty 10 minute side-quests that Shepard did. Suddenly an evil Salarian appears! And he is very effective! Evil Salarian without any good explanation wakes up another 10 evil buddies! Sloane has to stop those 11 degenerates, or else they will get away with hostages on a shuttle! To where? How am I suppose to know? They just want to leave the Nexus! No matter that no one ever left it and they don't know what's outside. They are just escaping. So when the fightning starts and Kelly's men are fighting that evil Salarian. To me it looked like this:

:popamole:

Kelly is suddenly fighting against a female version of Dolph Lundgren. A walking wall of muscles and not much else. A behemoth! That's a huge bitch! And their flawless dialogue looks kinda like this:
Sloane Kelly - "Bitch, you're extra thicc! Tell me your secret!"
Extra Thicc Monstrostiy - "I was lifting heavy cargo for like 7 years".
Then Kelly defeats the thicc evil bitch.

Oh, and I almost forgot. 90% of men on the Nexus are acting like retarded cucks. They are entirely devoid of even the smallest trace of testosterone and their king is William Spender.

"Wonderful" book. And there is still half of it left. It is all Jarun Tann's fault.

So Tann is the Wladimir Putin of the Nexus? Modern day writers are as retarded as a lot of mainstream journalists?

Well he clearly is not Putin, I mean he allows gay people on the station.

Tytus

Arcane
So apparently there is another patch for the game:

In this upcoming patch, we continued to improve our cinematic scenes, particularly in the opening hours of the game. In addition to enhanced performance and stability, we addressed a number of player-reported issues, including a bug that caused SAM to repeatedly tell Ryder they had received new email.

Because we don’t want players to miss any of the great side conversations with their crew, dialogue options will no longer appear “greyed out” if a character has more to say.

Those of you who have the Deluxe or Super Deluxe edition will also receive two custom Nomad skins, a new casual Pathfinder outfit, and an exclusive multiplayer pack with a high chance of receiving an ultra-rare item.

We also made changes to combat and multiplayer balance, which you can read about here.

A full list of fixes is below. For patch notes in other languages, click here.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch 1.06 Notes

Fixed issue that caused singleplayer difficulty to impact multiplayer

Improved performance and stability

Various improvements to cinematic scenes

Fixed issue where SAM would mistakenly tell Ryder they have new email

Conversation options will no longer appear “greyed out” if new content is available

Improved legibility of subtitles

Maximum Nexus Level increased to 29

Single player balance improvements at higher difficulties.

Fixed issues with player animations getting stuck when jumping or changing direction repeatedly

Increased the number of autosaves allowed

Special items will not carry over into New Game+

Fixed issue where subtitles would not appear while waiting at the dialogue wheel if subtitles were disabled

Fixed issue that could cause AVP to reset to zero for all planets except Kadara

Weapon and armor vendors now carry inventory once player reaches Level 61

Chest armors now have level restrictions

Bonus items—such as Pathfinder Armor—can now be deconstructed

Fusion Mod of Resistance no longer continues to apply evade damage once unequipped

Improved responsiveness of control sticks

Fixed clipping issue on Sara Ryder’s casual jacket

Added graphics options to toggle Motion Blur and Depth of Field

Fixed issue where Remnant VI would stop attacking

Turbocharge will not deplete spare ammo when used on a weapon with the Vintage Heat Sink augmentation

Fixed interaction with datapad in the Search for the Remnant Drive Core mission.

Fixed issue where squadmate could not be revived if killed by a fiend at Site 2

Swapping a dead squadmate at a loadout will not cause them to die permanently

Nexus tram now operates during Nexus Reunion mission even if player has not completed Prologue

Fixed issue where player could romance both Cora and Peebee

Fixed issue where player could romance both Vetra and Peebee

Taking the left path in the Havarl dungeon will not block progression on Remnant Scanner mission

Fixed issue on H-047C where enemies could get stuck inside a rock, making them unkillable

Fixed issue where player couldn’t hide Ryder’s helmet after completing Ark Natanus mission

Fixed broken Nomad Shield Crafting mission

Fixed health issues with Architect’s leg that prevented completion of the fight

Frequency mission on Voeld is no longer blocked if player leaves the area after scanning the meteorite.

Missing Science Crew mission no longer blocked if Ryder kills the Architect before finishing objectives

Leaving the Nomad while falling out of bounds no longer results in infinite loading screen

Fixed issue where Nomad jump control was not remapping

Fixed issue where Cora slowly fell back to the ground after charging an airborne enemy

Improved performance on Eos when approaching or fast travelling to Prodromos

Loading auto-save will not block progress after kett encounter near Site 1 power relay station

Eliminated player fall through on Tempest after loading autosaves in space

Reduced the cost of Strike Team equipment and improved its effectiveness

A default Ryder name can now carry over to New Game+

PC – Fixed issue where dialogue choices would auto-select when using mouse and keyboard

PC – Improvements to display when running at different resolutions

PS4 – Fixed a crash that occurred when sitting in main menu for more than two minutes

PS4 – Fixed crash that occurred when moving from multiplayer back to the main menu

Multiplayer

Fixed issue where player would crouch repeatedly while interacting with device

Player’s deceased character no longer falls through the floor after an Ascendant attack in the extraction zone on Firebase Icebreaker

Improvements to reduce lag for players and hosts

And check out this new casual outfit thing. Ryder looks like beta cuck trying to look alpha while going to a beach rave or something. (Sara looks even worse, but hey Blasto, it makes it cool, right? Right?!) Also in the future we will be still using contemporary headphone jacks.

Latelistener

Arcane
Sources: BioWare Montreal Scaled Down, Mass Effect Put On Ice For Now

In the wake of BioWare’s polarizing Mass Effect: Andromeda, fans have wondered where the lauded sci-fi series will go next. The answer, according to people familiar with the studio, is nowhere—at least for the time being. BioWare has put Mass Effect on hiatus and turned Andromeda’s developer, BioWare Montreal, into a support studio, according to four sources close to the company.

That doesn’t mean there will never be another Mass Effect game, of course. It’s unlikely that BioWare will kill the popular sci-fi franchise. But BioWare is letting Mass Effect sit for a while rather than putting staff on Andromeda’s follow-up right away, those sources said.

Last month, a number of BioWare Montreal employees were transferred to the studio EA Motive, also based in Montreal, to work on Star Wars Battlefront II. Those remaining at BioWare Montreal will help support BioWare’s other games including the new intellectual property, code-named Dylan, which we expect the company to announce at E3. BioWare Montreal will also continue to patch and support Andromeda’s multiplayer.

BioWare’s main studio in Edmonton is heading up Dylan, while BioWare’s other studio, in Austin, is also helping out with that game.

When reached for comment, publisher Electronic Arts sent over the following statement, attributed to BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy:

Our teams at BioWare and across EA put in tremendous effort bringing Mass Effect Andromeda to players around the world. Even as BioWare continues to focus on the Mass Effect Andromeda community and live service, we are constantly looking at how we’re prepared for the next experiences we will create.

The teams in EA Worldwide Studios are packed with talent, and more than ever, we are driving collaboration between studios on key projects.

With our BioWare and Motive teams sharing studio space in Montreal, we have BioWare team members joining Motive projects that are underway. We’re also ramping up teams on other BioWare projects in development.

There will be much more to come from BioWare in the years ahead.

Mass Effect: Andromeda, released in March, was originally envisioned as a reboot for the franchise but went through a brutal development process for several reasons including technological challenges and a major scope change late in development, people familiar with the game said.

Reception to Andromeda was lukewarm, and people scoffed at its writing and animation. (Our review called it flawed and uneven.)

Andromeda was also the first game headed up by BioWare Montreal, which was founded in 2009 to help make downloadable content for Mass Effect 2 and 3. Although BioWare’s other two studios, Austin and Edmonton, also contributed to Andromeda, the game’s director, franchise producer, and leads were all based in Montreal. BioWare Edmonton had developed the first three Mass Effect games.

Now, sources say, BioWare Montreal is significantly smaller than it was just a few months ago. Those who didn’t go to Motive will help out with BioWare’s other projects rather than incubating and developing their own.

Earlier this week on an earnings call, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson told investors that the publisher is “very happy with how BioWare is doing, how BioWare is treating Mass Effect. And our expectations for Mass Effect are still strong for the future and the franchise overall.” Wilson also put a great deal of emphasis on “live service” games, of which BioWare’s new IP is one. That’s the studio’s main focus for the time being.

kotaku.com/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-1795100285

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
EA’s CEO Andrew Wilson responded: "We're very happy with how Bioware is doing, how Bioware is treating Mass Effect. And our expectations for Mass Effect are still strong for the future and the franchise overall. Bioware has continued to support Mass Effect, and the new team is doing some amazing things, and you'll hear more about that in the months to come.”

A few hours later:

BIOWARE MONTREAL DISBANDED.

3e8055479552d274b961e729e128db9c_loooool-loooool-meme_487-269.jpeg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Isn't this technically giving your shareholders the runaround? Then again, why am I even surprised? EA refused to disclose DAI's sales at one point and used "hours played" as metric for success to their own shareholders.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
With the development team being reassigned to other studios or games it sounds like Andromeda might not even get any DLC. The game didn't get that awful of reviews , so I imagine this must've gotten much lower sales than they were expecting -- I can't see EA shuttering a game so quickly if it was earning them good money.

I mean, I don't remember anything like this happening with the Dragon Age team after Inquisition, which also got roughly a year's worth of DLC support.

Of course it's possible this is just a shtty, click-bait-y kotaku article and all that happened was regular down sizing after release.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So both Mass Effect and Dragon Age - the twin pillars of late 2000s-early 2010s BioWare - might be "on ice" now. Wow.

Lhynn

Arcane
Time to revive Jade Empire, we need to know how many genders a dragon can have.
Tho im not even sure if you met any on the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom