Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #52: Jet Skis!

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
He thinks the end-game content is good as it is

I actually think so too now, and I played it before the nerf. When I first played it I felt a degree of frustration and despair after the rest of the game was quite easy. But now looking back, I realize it fits the theme of the game perfectly - those are the kinds of feelings you SHOULD get in an area such as the Deep Caverns. Also, isn't this exactly what the Codex (should) be about? hard, unforgiving stuff without any handholding (but not as hard and unforgiving as 90s PC games, a lot of which could lead the player into an actual dead end where it was impossible to finish the game). Tbh I'm tired of games' endings being easier than the rest of the game. The end of a game should be its most difficult part.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, I already said this in a topic in the Underrail subforum but difficulty =/= obnoxiousness.
You can do difficulty without literally retarded respawns and backtracking.

I don't think anyone asked to make it easy. I certainly didn't. What was asked was to remove the tedium.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tedium and backtracking were largely a problem of the game itself.
Maybe- MAYBE it could be fixed by adding some local... tram or whatever, to take you to different areas in the Deep Caverns.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think that would affect the atmosphere negatively.
Dunno, I'd rather have difficult fights but have the cleared areas stay cleared. Because the amount of backtracking is on insane levels compared to the rest of the game. Or reduce the backtracking which is already stupid enough and keep some respawns. I don't know, but something is definitely wrong there that it feels like Styg collected the worst parts of gaming in that section of the game.

And of course the mushroom forest and associated "puzzle" are just :retarded: A bunch of areas that serve no purpose and are impossible to explore and enjoy because of the instant respawns.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
instant respawns
literally retarded respawns
have the cleared areas stay cleared

bCVNOK3.jpg

try not attracting the Eye of Tchort

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, run to safe places every 5 minutes, wait for another 5, rinse and repeat. So much gitting gud.
Instead I put some of the points I kept into stealth and gave a
upyours.png
to Styg. Which it seems pretty much everyone did, because you must be mentally disabled to bother with the DC without stealth.

Also, the mushrooms don't respawn because of Tchort. And they respawn as soon as you kill them. One of the most annoying areas in video game history.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm afraid I've completely lost interest when traversing Deep Caverns.
Thought taking a break would maybe help, but then I just forgot how
to get to some places, walked in circles and where I was at with the
puzzles. Some friends got Underrai as per my recommendation and
actually finished it. But most of them won't replay it, as they
stated DC as the weak point and a drag. Maybe I'm/we're
just old. I will hold Underrail in good memory. But I just
can't get myself to care anymore.

Anyways, it's good to live in a world where Underrail
can exist and is even able to spawn an expansion.:obviously:

himmy

Arcane
Despite being frustrating at the time, I sort of have fond memories of the tension I felt in the Deep Caverns. Particularly in that area where you had huge sandworm-things coming out of the ground if you didn't move quickly enough, which made me abandon my playstyle of exploring every little nook and cranny of every level at my own pace in favour of a more heart-pounding "get the McGuffin and get the hell out here as quickly as I can oh god OH GOD HERE'S ANOTHER ONE".

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
And they respawn as soon as you kill them
At this point, it should've been clear to you that this area of the game (as well as the DC as a whole) is meant to be played DIFFERENTLY from the rest of the game. It's not supposed to be a dungeon where you clear a level, regroup, clear another level, rinse and repeat.

Vorark

Erudite
DC would have been better if it was sparsely populated by few groups of tchortlings. Best thing down there was the sense of desolation while you explored the ruins and read the logs about the project. It was like Lonesome Road at times. Instead, I had to stop whatever I was doing to hide from the Eye of Tchort effect.

Mind you, I played DC before the patches hit but it was enough to sour me on the area, which was a shame. A blotch upon an otherwise excellent game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And they respawn as soon as you kill them
At this point, it should've been clear to you that this area of the game (as well as the DC as a whole) is meant to be played DIFFERENTLY from the rest of the game. It's not supposed to be a dungeon where you clear a level, regroup, clear another level, rinse and repeat.

How is it supposed to be played then?

Stealth only?
Run & hide every 5 minutes?
I don't know.
What if I don't like "the way it's meant be played" and think it just uses the most boring and lazy tricks in gaming to increase difficulty and length: respawning and backtracking.

I like how all the butthurt fanboys immediately assume the problem was the difficulty and those who didn't like DC couldn't complete them and want handholding.
Sorry to disappoint, fanboys, but I did and I still found them annoying as fuck. You're not special hardcore gamers for completing Underrail and DC is nowhere near as difficult as it is stupid and tedious.

I had no problems with Depot A (before the nerf), another area infamous for difficulty but not for stupidity and tediousness.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Boys and their toys! Jetski riders are the biggest wankers ever!

You're relaxing on the beach and these assholes go by like Vroooooooommmmm-WFOOMP-WFOOP-WFOOP

I am so butthurt by this anouncement!!!!

Johannes

Arcane
I need to actually play this damn game. It took so long to get around to it and by the time I was about to start the expansion was announced and now I'm trying to hold off until then but it's been kinda tough. Might just start anyways. Jet ski looks neat. I remember playing Fallout 2 and being all excited about the motorcycle only to find out it was basically a fast travel node and you didn't actually get to really use it. That's cool Underrail's expanding on what I'm sure Fallout 2 tried to do in some internal builds and wasn't able to pull off due to time or whatever.
Fallout 2 motorcycle, what is that?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Should add more C&C not stupid gimmicks. And Deep Caverns is perfectly fine, fucking casuals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom