Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A vote thread: Phase 2: Testing out a new way to generate an acceptable list of best RPGs

State whether you want the following games to appear in a codex list of top 100 PC RPGs:

• Dues Ex: Invisible War gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I don't care if Dues Ex: Invisible War gets a place

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Dues Ex: Invisible War on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Bloodmoon gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I don't care if The Elder Scrolls 3: Bloodmoon gets a place

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Bloodmoon on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Gothic 2: Night of the Raven gets a big fat YES from me

• I don't care if Gothic 2: Night of the Raven gets a place

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Gothic 2: Night of the Raven on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don't care if Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader gets a place

• Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I don't care if Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark gets a place

• Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of the Undrentide gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don't care if Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of the Undrentide gets a place

• Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of the Undrentide on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don't care if Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gets a place

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • I don't care if The Temple of Elemental Evil gets a place

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

• Silent Storm gets a big fat YES from me

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • I don't care if Silent Storm gets a place

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Silent Storm on the top 100? FUCK RIGHT OFF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
In the first poll you were asked to vote for which RPGs you've played that were released in 2003 on the PC platform. Fairly straight forward.

In this poll you now have the opportunity to shill your preferred game, exert your ambivalence towards a game, or punch a game in the face.

The rules here are very simple and the voting should speak for itself. Only the games that qualified for phase 2 are listed as some games from the first poll have already failed to qualify for phase 2.

You do not need to have played a game to vote. You do not need to know whether any of these titles ever existed to vote. You can vote for as many as you like, change your vote as much as you like.

The running totals will be publicly visible but who votes for what will remain private, so you can vote without any sense of perceived peer pressure, real or imagined.

The poll will run for exactly one week.

Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
shouldnt you allow accounts made at least a year ago with more than 75% posts in the crpg forum to vote in order to get accurate results?this method i propose doesnt exclude sleep alts or alts made by people 10 years but its a start.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I got a headache.

Yeah, I wanted to make each title a different colour to make it more readable, but that didn't appear to be an option.

I also wanted to have a gap between each batch of 3, but that wasn't an option either.

Polls are fairly limited in design.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Last bump from me tonight.

200411021158540.yourvote.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
After asking for one of these to get made again, I'll just say the following: these lists are fucking pointless by every metric measure imaginable. Especially so when you mix up shit that has nothing to do with each other: how is Planescape: Torment a better RPG than ADOM? How is Alpha Protocol a better RPG than Wizardry? They are fucking different genres.

Instead of an encompassing "best RPGs of all time", we should vote for different categories. Judging from the recent lists, these would be:

- Dungeon Crawlers: Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Ultima Underworld, etc.
- Action RPGs: Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Gothic, etc.
- cRPGs: Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, basically all games that work like videogame adaptations of (possible) tabletop games (Fallout, Arcanum, Age of Decadence, as you could easily make a tabletop game out of these) or that use rules from existing tabletop games (Infinity Engine games, Shadowrun, The Dark Eye)
- Open World RPGs: I feel this category IS a must. Morrowind, New Vegas, etc.
- Roguelikes: ADOM, TOME, etc.
- Tactical RPGs: Basically any game where the appeal is fundamentally the combat, such as Wizard's Crown.
- Hybrids: Such as Deus Ex.

And whatever else you can think of that is reasonable. Then, based on the amount of votes, you can group the most popular games. But to me the Top 70 is a very useless list since there are plenty, plenty of games I just don't give a fuck about, and will never give a fuck about because the list is a clusterfuck of different types of RPGs.

And for fuck's sake, allow console games into the polls as well. Almost every worthy console RPG CAN be emulated nowadays. At best, we will find new cool games. At worst, they won't even appear on the lists. And put your garbage in a garbage can, people. I can't stress that enough. Don't just throw it out the window.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why would a poll of top codex recommended PC RPGs have console games in it?

Because the distinction "console / PC" is pointless when you can play console games on your PC, and a lot of console games are actually great. Dark Souls, for instance, is a console game. I could see games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre making their way to the best tactical RPGs list.

Of course, assuming you listen to my advice and start making different polls for different sub-genres, as opposed to making shit such as "Planescape: Torment is a better RPG than Morrowind, even though they have nothing in common".

pippin

You had to be there to understand how the push for console friendly approaches and mmo-ization hurt pc gaming. I stopped playing games from 2004 to 2012, which was when I found out about gog and started playing games again, but it was mostly to continue playing what I liked before 04, stuff like Thief for instance. There's a sense of creativity that was completely gone from both consoles and pc when multiplatform became the norm. It just wasn't there anymore. Dark Souls might be interesting, but you have to consider there were games like it on pc 10 years before that one.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You had to be there to understand how the push for console friendly approaches and mmo-ization hurt pc gaming. I stopped playing games from 2004 to 2012, which was when I found out about gog and started playing games again, but it was mostly to continue playing what I liked before 04, stuff like Thief for instance. There's a sense of creativity that was completely gone from both consoles and pc when multiplatform became the norm. It just wasn't there anymore. Dark Souls might be interesting, but you have to consider there were games like it on pc 10 years before that one.

Yeah, but the point is: there are great console games out there. Dark Souls is a console game, it just had the advantage of having a PC port to make it eligible for voting. But just like it, there are plenty other great console games that would be given a chance to shine in an all-inclusive poll.

It's not like I'm saying "CHRONO TRIGGER MUST BE FIRST" like IGN does. If people consider it a good game, they will vote it. If not, it will be out.

Multiplatform is bad because you are making a compromise between different hardware. Console exclusive games, on the other hand, don't suffer from "this game was clearly not designed to be played only on this console".

Yeah, but the point is: there are great console games out there. Dark Souls is a console game, it just had the advantage of having a PC port to make it eligible for voting. But just like it, there are plenty other great console games that would be given a chance to shine in an all-inclusive poll.

It's not like I'm saying "CHRONO TRIGGER MUST BE FIRST" like IGN does. If people consider it a good game, they will vote it. If not, it will be out.

Multiplatform is bad because you are making a compromise between different hardware. Console exclusive games, on the other hand, don't suffer from "this game was clearly not designed to be played only on this console".

I've always hated people who care if a game is console or computer. If its good its good if its ass its ass. JRPG, CRPG, Turn Based, Real Time.. Long as its good its good. (Though what is considered good depends on the person.)

The clowns who refuse to play computer games are just as much of a dumbass as the PC MASTER RACE types.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom