Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Severian Silk

Which is the better path for Elaine? Counselor or fighter?

Gunnar

Arbiter
That might be interesting, using typically weak characters in your away parties. Elaine gets a bonus to melee skill and damage and gains some points in Ranged as she levels up, decent HP and AP. She has mediocre AC and low strength so I'd try to keep her mostly away from enemies and stick with light weapons.

Severian Silk

Is it necessary to bandage myself before going to sleep to heal? Or is it a waste of bandages?

Also, when I see a full ammo clip in my inventory, does the number over it mean the number of clips or the number of bullets?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember any of this stuff, 2 years is a long time
mystery.png

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is it necessary to bandage myself before going to sleep to heal? Or is it a waste of bandages?

Also, when I see a full ammo clip in my inventory, does the number over it mean the number of clips or the number of bullets?

It's been a while but from what I remember you'll heal a certain amount depending on how good the Medical skill is on your assigned Doctor. So use as many bandages as you need to in order to have full health after a night spent healing.

Not sure about the clips.

Severian Silk

The GUI in this game is not very user friendly. I can't see people's health when assigning jobs for instance.

[edit]

Can't see people's names when looking at their character sheets either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunnar

Arbiter
The GUI in this game is not very user friendly. I can't see people's health when assigning jobs for instance.

Yeah, I agree. The GUI drove me nuts and it only gets worse the further into the game you go. The game desperately needs a unified GUI where I can see stats, health, etc while assigning jobs.

Severian Silk

Is there a benefit to revisiting a location more than once? The game tracks how many times you've been somewhere, and I am wondering.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a benefit to revisiting a location more than once? The game tracks how many times you've been somewhere, and I am wondering.
Not that I'm aware of. I never saw anything respawn in the original version of the game, though I did return to several maps to finish looting them.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No respawns, but there were a couple locations that changed:
Oil Refinery - taken over by the Military if you wipe out the Militia there.
Pleasant Oaks Summer Camp - give you a cat later if you traded with them peacefully the 1st time, then they all get wiped out even later (and you can loot away).
Wish there had been more.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

[edit]

Can't see people's names when looking at their character sheets either.
You also can't see stats when assigning jobs, other than their skills, and there's no way to sort the NPC:s outside of the Job Board, and there's no way to sort equipment or items.

The GUI is absolutely horrific in Dead State. A shame, too, because aside from the GUI and some narrative oddities, it's pretty fucking solid.

Which is the better path for Elaine? Counselor or fighter?

Depends entirely on how well you've gone in the early game, bearing in mind that depending on metagaming knowledge, skill and experience, players range from getting themselves locked into no-win states witihn the 1st week, to having a wholly self-sufficient camp with conveyor belts of antibiotics, ammo, etc not all that long after.

If you aren't in the kind of resource-induced negative feedback loop where you're going to get lynched by your followers without a selectable morale boost, then there's no benefit to having a counsellor, is there? If you're doing well enough to not need a counsellor, Elaine becomes (imho) the best 'field medic' in the game (as in, she's in the top 3-4 medic skill, and has by FAR the best combat utility of any medic - the only other combat medic options are 'primarily fighter, with 2-3 points in healing' NPCs.

Plus she's the most loyal character in the game. Which is why I found it deliciouisly wicked writing that if you followed all the 'Bioware style romance' choices with a particular NPC,
the game makes clear that, in real life, that is insane stalker psycho shit, and she ends up murdering both Elaine and, then (the real fucking heart kicker, as he's just managed to cross from 'annoying dickhead' to 'awesome comic relief guy who is also surprisingly useful) ALSO kills Doug when he walks in on them and tries to save Elaine

No respawns, but there were a couple locations that changed:
Oil Refinery - taken over by the Military if you wipe out the Militia there.
Pleasant Oaks Summer Camp - give you a cat later if you traded with them peacefully the 1st time, then they all get wiped out even later (and you can loot away).
Wish there had been more.

I'm pretty sure the
cat in the camp is in the base game, I remember turning it down because fuck cats.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I was only referring to locations that change when re-visited. I never played anything but Reanimated, so no clue on changes between versions.
Also...
Fuck_cc1169_83627.jpg

Severian Silk

Finished this game a few days ago. It's pretty solid IMO. The UI is okay once you memorize all the characters' stats. There's not a lot of variety in enemy types or tactics. And I was hoping for more of a challenge toward the end. (There's not much leading up to the ending, and I had like 5k+ morale.) But overall I enjoyed the game and would play a sequel.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Did you do the fight on the runway ending? I had a fully equipped squad ready to take on that challenge and the game ended up picking random people for me to fight with, some who had no armor or weapons on at all.

Severian Silk

No, I let the army fly all my people out in exchange for working for them. How many endings are there?

Gunnar

Arbiter
Not sure how many endings there are exactly, I got that one by following Lloyds quest to repair the airplane and fly everyone out. I think you can also take a bus to escape if you turn down the army and can't fly the plane. From what I remember the plane ending is the only one with a big combat encounter at the end.

Zombra

Patron
When I did the bus ending,
there was a huge fucking battle. The only way out of the area was to cross this bridge guarded by ... shit, was it the national guard? I don't remember who, but I had to send a team to clear a path for the bus vs. endless respawning enemies. Once the bridge was driveable, I had to decide whether to just gun it or wait to try to let my combat party get back on. Not easy!

Gunnar

Arbiter
When I did the bus ending,
there was a huge fucking battle. The only way out of the area was to cross this bridge guarded by ... shit, was it the national guard? I don't remember who, but I had to send a team to clear a path for the bus vs. endless respawning enemies. Once the bridge was driveable, I had to decide whether to just gun it or wait to try to let my combat party get back on. Not easy!

Cool, I'll have to check that one out if I play again sometime. It sounds even harder than the plane battle. Did they let you choose your team or was it randomly assigned?

croitav

I hate 3D graphics
Two things entertains me in a "massive car crash that drags a crowd to look at the disaster" way concerning these new 3D, NWN look-alike cRPGs that are coming out of Kickstarters and the likes as part of the "cRPG revival" squad. The first is how they look (and many times play) disgustingly bad. I'm not a graphics whore by any means, I still consider hundreds of DOS and 80's games in general to be very pretty, but this is just shit. JA2 for instance is a hundred times more beautiful and interesting to look at. Some games manage to be very appealing just through a single screenshot that leaves your mouth watering with desire to play it, like the game magazines did when we were young. Perhaps thousands of new 2D assets ends being more expensive than this 3D piece of crap, but it's all their fault and their total lack of resources management that they can't pull it off. People did 2D games that looked better and had better visual presentation than this shit and AoD way back in the 80's. Camera rotation like this is, 99,99% of times, terribly worse than a static, well resolved angle that shows everything.

The second thing is, I can almost see these guys browsing the Codex, seeing how we praise FO and FO2 to the heavens and deciding they should reproduce its..........

...combat system. :lol:

We should have a law on the Codex, if you praise Fallout, have a P.S. at the end explaining for the devs that come here that they shouldn't use its combat on their games. Go copy JA2 or X-Com but not Fallout, Jesus fuck. Are these shit supposed to revive the genre? Because if I wasn't a cRPG player in the first place I'd never be interested in it because of stuff like Dead State. What's the purpose of this game then, to please the old players that have dozens of much better stuff to play and replay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom