Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Hines

Savant
Looks like Prey debuted to weak sales in the UK.

Arkane's sci-fi adventure, which came out last Friday, sits behind Nintendo Switch racer Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which enjoys a second week at number one.

Chart-Track records physical game sales only, so the bulk of its data relates to console sales. In the case of Prey, that's PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. SteamSpy, an unofficial but useful resource for Steam game sales, pegs Prey at around 100,000 owners.

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
The game is very gud.

There is currently no way to disable blur, but it's not very overbearing to begin with.

giphy.gif

Disable chromatic aberration, bloom, motion blur and/or sharpening: Open C:\Users\[account name]\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg and add r_ChromaticAberration = 0, r_HDRBloomRatio = 0, r_MotionBlur = 0, and/or r_Sharpening = 0.

Ash

Arcane
Replaying System Shock 2 right now. Currently in cargo bay 2b. The game seems so much inferior compared to Prey. Very unimaginative. Almost zero attention to details - just barren corridors, living rooms which only have a single bed in them (no other furniture of items). No character, no details, extremely lazy.

"Pretty" suits you well if you only judge works at face aesthetic value. "Pretty retarded" suits you more if you don't understand that on a technical level a open-ended 3D game from 1999 can't have ultra-detailed levels. Not to mention tons of clutter and art department ego may not be desired/always a good idea from a game design and development standpoint.
This would also explain why you think Dishonored is hot shit, because it has artistic flair but not a lot else going for it, yet you obviously fail to recognise it as such. A detailed sculpture finely crafted out of shit is still going to really smell.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Arkane's sci-fi adventure, which came out last Friday, sits behind Nintendo Switch racer Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which enjoys a second week at number one.

Chart-Track records physical game sales only, so the bulk of its data relates to console sales. In the case of Prey, that's PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. SteamSpy, an unofficial but useful resource for Steam game sales, pegs Prey at around 100,000 owners.

This one is saying it's in the top:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...Charts---Prey-Stalks-The-Top-Spot-On-PS4.html

Hines

Savant

This one is saying it's in the top:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...Charts---Prey-Stalks-The-Top-Spot-On-PS4.html
No, your source is saying it topped sales for the PS4 charts, a platform which Nintendo doesn't release Mario Kart on.

willdunz

Literate
I beat the game yesterday and overall I think it's great. The story and ending are pretty weak though.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's weird to see so many people online summarize their negative impression of the game with "you don't get to become OP steamroller later on". Even people whose opinion generally isn't horrible. I'd assume they would be tired of all the power fantasies and might go for something that keeps your scrounging or on edge for majority of the game. :?

willdunz

Literate
Resource scarcity is real in this game, unless you play like FO4 and loot everything. That's probably why people don't feel powerful.

After a while I just sneak or run past enemies. They respawn when you leave the area so why even bother.

Renevent

Cipher
There are reasons why you would want to kill enemies...you can find a blueprint that allow you to craft neuromods (Prey's skill points) that rely on exotic material which is dropped from enemies. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you grinded long enough you could potentially max out every skill and upgrade every item in the game.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
I concur that the game itself matters a lot more than the developer/publisher behind it, but giving credit to the publisher for "enabling" developers to produce high-quality games is dogshit. Asking for 60€ for a 25hour game is bullshit. And I'm gonna say that developing a game for 4+ years that eventually boils down to 25hours of content is bullshit too, considering all the "money and resources" people claim bethesda/zenimax put into their titles I simply expect more than that.
All your developer heroes are free to set up a shop in some remote garage, find 50 friends willing to work three years for free, while not betrayng their creative integrity, then rip all the profits for themselves.
No one is forcing anyone to work for these evil publishers, but somehow they choose themselves an environment that "enables" them not to worry much about burning through their life savings, or whether their game make a profit, or not.

25 hours is a perfect lenght for any non popamole single player action game ( 40h for an rpg ), every single singleplayer game I've played longer than that had more filler shit, than worthwhile entertaining content.
I'll choose a good 25 h game any day, if you like to repeat same shit over and over again, just replay the game, same shit as playing 50h slog of a game, this is practical reality of game design.

My experience on the Hard is that killing enemies is usually worth it for the exotic materials, but I've been finding other resources actually a bit more scarce. The three other resources (organic materials, and I don't remember what the other two are called) seem to only come from junk items littered around new areas. IE, after you've cleared a space, you're not going to find more of anything but the exotic materials that get dropped by enemies. I burned a lot of materials on neuromods, upgraded a bunch of my powers, and now I'm having serious issues with ammo shortages and
getting jumped by that big nightmare asshole because I upgraded my alien powers
. Even with looting everything in sight and killing enemies so I can take their space kidneys, I'm not exactly feeling overwhelmed with resources.

One of my biggest complaints with Bioshock was just how boring it got after the first half, in large part because you were given shitloads of everything for just exploring a little. Prey doesn't seem to be falling to that issue, though I'm only 8 hours in so I can't say if that stays the same throughout. If it does end up holding true for the rest of the experience, then I'll be quite pleased. I enjoy a power fantasy as much as the next guy, but this subgenre is at its most interesting when it's forcing you to think and overcome problems creatively. Overloading the player with resources is the #1 way to ruin even the best enemy encounters and level design since then the player can just bash their way through everything.

Renevent

Cipher
My experience on the Hard is that killing enemies is usually worth it for the exotic materials, but I've been finding other resources actually a bit more scarce. The three other resources (organic materials, and I don't remember what the other two are called) seem to only come from junk items littered around new areas. IE, after you've cleared a space, you're not going to find more of anything but the exotic materials that get dropped by enemies. I burned a lot of materials on neuromods, upgraded a bunch of my powers, and now I'm having serious issues with ammo shortages and
getting jumped by that big nightmare asshole because I upgraded my alien powers
. Even with looting everything in sight and killing enemies so I can take their space kidneys, I'm not exactly feeling overwhelmed with resources.

One of my biggest complaints with Bioshock was just how boring it got after the first half, in large part because you were given shitloads of everything for just exploring a little. Prey doesn't seem to be falling to that issue, though I'm only 8 hours in so I can't say if that stays the same throughout. If it does end up holding true for the rest of the experience, then I'll be quite pleased. I enjoy a power fantasy as much as the next guy, but this subgenre is at its most interesting when it's forcing you to think and overcome problems creatively. Overloading the player with resources is the #1 way to ruin even the best enemy encounters and level design since then the player can just bash their way through everything.

Have you tried using recycler grenades? I *think* they can recycle objects that you can't normally pickup and recycle. Like throw it into an office area and it will recycle the chairs, lamps, etc.

PrettyDeadman

If you are going to do a lot of quests, you will have to deal with tons of respawning enemies. Most enemies are bulletsponges and don't give you enough materials to compensate for what you spend on them (and wrentch isn't an option either). So you are going to do a lot of running, because sometimes there are extremely annoying (and fat) enemies you have to deal with.
It gets a little better at the end.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... snip ...

Thank you. At least I know there is one sane person on codex who is not afraid to say that he likes the game when ... the game is good :)

Regarding the weapons: There is a golden shotgun (comes with the preorder shit) and one golden pistol. They do a little more dmg than the ones you can fabricate. Other than this, there is the QBeam and that's it.

There is at lead one Helmet mod that gives you more damage with the pistol. Like someone said, don't underestimate the pistol, used with Combat Focus it can do serious damage.

Off-topic: Fully upgraded Shotgun with Combat Focus 2 means a Nightmare is down in like 6 shots. I killed three during my play-through. On the other hand Telepaths and Technopaths were harder because you need to hit them in the eyes.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I burned a lot of materials on neuromods, upgraded a bunch of my powers, and now I'm having serious issues with ammo shortages and ...

The same thing happened to me. But that's because we were greedy and we wanted as much neuromods as possible ;)

Nevertheless, you can use turrets for ammo-free kills or recycler grenades for more resources.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
... snip ...

Thank you. At least I know there is one sane person on codex who is not afraid to say that he likes the game when ... the game is good :)

Regarding the weapons: There is a golden shotgun (comes with the preorder shit) and one golden pistol. They do a little more dmg than the ones you can fabricate. Other than this, there is the QBeam and that's it.

There is at lead one Helmet mod that gives you more damage with the pistol. Like someone said, don't underestimate the pistol, used with Combat Focus it can do serious damage.

Off-topic: Fully upgraded Shotgun with Combat Focus 2 means a Nightmare is down in like 6 shots. I killed three during my play-through. On the other hand Telepaths and Technopaths were harder because you need to hit them in the eyes.

Never met the nightmare in my playthrough. When I installed neuromods, I just locked myself in a small room and smoked a cigarette during the 2 mn hunting.

Anyway:

1494284260883.jpg

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
trick to solve ammo shortages is to deconstruct the useless anti psi grenades and make glorious shotgun rounds out of them I tend to find.

Also just manning up and not wasting a bunch of shotgun ammo, and finding the upgrade for the silenced pistol via the pilot's lounge in shuttle bay so it does actual damage.

SumDrunkGuy

Welp, it's lookin like critics aren't going to give this one a pass. Games not dumbed down and stupid enough I guess.

Renevent

Cipher
... snip ...

Never met the nightmare in my playthrough. When I installed neuromods, I just locked myself in a small room and smoked a cigarette during the 2 mn hunting.

Anyway:

Just fought the nightmare:

He's on the command bridge. You can get there by taking the gravity elevator down in the arboretum.

Black

Arcane
So this game is GUD?

I bought it. Is it best to disable motion blur? And how to? How to achieve the best possible graphics? Do you guys use any mods?

It runs pretty smooth on my rig already

The game is very gud.

There is currently no way to disable blur, but it's not very overbearing to begin with. Graphics mods? Fuck off you graphics whore.
Keep in mind that Morgoth still isn't over his NMS disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom