Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Voidspire sequel: Alvora Tactics

Gunnar

Arbiter
Good luck, hope it's out sooner rather than later!

:greatjob:

Loved Voidspire, this is an instabuy for me.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
They make the greenlight section of steam very hard to navigate. I have to figure out how to do it all over every time I go in. And I only go in when I see something like this. You can't go in and sort by rpgs or do a search for a specific game. That would make too much sense.

And also, going through and checking what games are awaiting approval sounds like a good idea until you actually try. I have to spend too much time on each game trying to figure out what the fuck it is, what kind of rpg aspects it has, etc, and it is just too much of a hassle. If steam ever tries to force developers into providing necessary information on what their product is this would be helpful for all the normal people who go to steam.

Also, how has your character development system changed? Or is it the same?

Ent

Savant
From what gameplay I've seen the character creation and experience system is mostly the same - just more races and classes to play around with. Theres a twitch vod with beta gameplay out there if you want to have a look at it - some of the new races are shown but none of the new classes unfortunately.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Not amazingly. People have been very supportive - I'm up to 400 votes - but from what I can tell there were almost no non-VR games greenlit this month. So, not looking like I can count on getting through soon.

I am very strongly considering releasing on itch.io in early May.

ColCol

Arcane
Not amazingly. People have been very supportive - I'm up to 400 votes - but from what I can tell there were almost no non-VR games greenlit this month. So, not looking like I can count on getting through soon.

I am very strongly considering releasing on itch.io in early May.

Noooo. I need it nowwwww.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
I've decided to get it to you as soon as possible ColCol. : )

The release date, greenlit or not, is May 8! I made a post on the greenlight page about it just now. The short of it is that Steam Greenlight itself isn't approving many games, so I'm done waiting on it.

I'll be spending the week debugging. Turns out adding a new lighting engine during the last month of development is not usually a good idea. : P

Jinn

Arcane
I want to buy it right when it comes out, but ultimately I want a steam version. If we buy this version, will we get steam keys too when it becomes available?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I want to buy it right when it comes out, but ultimately I want a steam version. If we buy this version, will we get steam keys too when it becomes available?
The Greenlight is progressing and I've hit over 400 votes! However, it seems that Steam Greenlight itself has, either temporarily or permanently, come to a halt. According to http://greenlightstats.com/ less than 5 games a day have been approved for most of April. I can no longer assume Alvora Tactics will be greenlit anytime soon. So, let's go ahead and get this game out!

Alvora Tactics will release on May 8! It will cost $9.99 and will have a small launch discount.

I'll be releasing the game on itch.io, but don't worry - you don't need an account there or anything. It's just like buying any other game directly from the developer. Alvora Tactics will be DRM-free and if you purchase it on itch.io you will receive a Steam key retroactively once the game gets greenlit.

Thanks for reading - see you in a week!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimoire got a lot more votes than that. The power of a Codex sticky.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks guys!

Some of these new races look pretty strong.

They are strong, but not as strong as they look. In Alvora Tactics, the damage formula changed from multiplicative to additive. It's complicated. Basically in Voidspire, +1 Attack power added +2 to +4 damage, whereas in Alvora Tactics it only adds +1 damage.

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Bought it. Hope it's great!

It's not bad. : P

By the way, I forgot to mention, Voidspire Tactics is on sale too! 34% off for the week.

Also - I want to be really upfront about this for fans of Voidspire - Alvora Tactics does not have quite as much exploration. It's a more mission-based game instead of the open world type exploration. (For example - there is no pickaxe in Alvora Tactics.) For most people that won't matter, but for those it does I don't want them to be let down when they get into Alvora and find it's not what they wanted.

Jinn

Arcane
Must say again that I love the exploration you put into Voidspire, but am still very excited to play Alvora!

Bought Alvora for $9.99 just now. Thank you for the offered 10% discount, but you deserve my purchase at full price. Now I have to see if I can hold off on playing it until it's released on steam or just go for it now.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
Same, paid full price because :honourblade:

Liking the new classes, enemy types, and the various upgrade mechanics -- overall Alvora has some good combat variance over VT (but yeah, don't expect too much exploration, this game is all about killing dudes and taking their stuff with some puzzles along the way).
Holy crap, the fight against like 9 lightning spamming tentacles (I assume it's a regular encounter that can be generated in the later levels of a randomized dungeon) is brütal. Had to pull out all the stops, and still barely made it without anyone getting gibbed. Awww yeah.

Also, with a 6-character party, getting a second support character with some sage (ward+regen at least) should be worthwhile...

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thank you! People have been really generous, I'm getting a lot of full-price purchases. : )

Holy crap, the fight against like 9 lightning spamming tentacles (I assume it's a regular encounter that can be generated in the later levels of a randomized dungeon) is brütal. Had to pull out all the stops, and still barely made it without anyone getting gibbed. Awww yeah.

Also, with a 6-character party, getting a second support character with some sage (ward+regen at least) should be worthwhile...

Wow, you made it pretty far in already! That tentacle fight is a real beefgate. It's mandatory to beat at least once but it can also spawn as a random encounter.

I'm excited to see what kind of party compositions people create now with 6 characters. : )

Ent

Savant
The two extra party slots are great. I no longer feel bad for having just a dedicated support character.

Zetor

Arcane
Speaking of which, has anyone unlocked the sixth slot? If so, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS. I unlocked the first upgrade (5th slot) and several others (xp share level 1/2) at the trainer, but the last slot hasn't shown up yet. My current location is
just defeated the core thing, the second phase was rough, ended up using both of my bombs... I have a feeling that'll bite me in the ass later. I also encountered two eye dudes in the vaults before that, but noped the heck out of there after trying to fight them once. In retrospect, it MAY have been possible to do, though I was able to go around them in either case...

Lorim told me to go back into Alvora to blow something up, so I'm feeling a relatively big milestone coming on... perhaps the 6th slot is unlocked after I beat that mission?
Gotta say I dig the new enemy attack patterns, some of the unique enemies definitely need some adaptation and the old "AOE the crap out of everything at range, win" approach from VT doesn't work no mo'.

Some minor bug reports: it looks like the difficulty setting keeps resetting to the middle levels (may be a problem on my end). Also, if you put special loot (like crafting kits, and possibly masks) in a bag, it doesn't get counted when the party returns at the end of the run. I also can't seem to sell from bags (it keeps trying to sell the bag instead), but that's a minor inconvenience. Oh yeah, does the XP via the share feature apply to classes a character hasn't unlocked yet, or does it only start counting after the class is unlocked?

Ent

Savant
God dammit I've already started hoarding * again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom