Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
> Is there a way to make party npc stop getting the litter from the floor? Even better, a script to check to not get them unless they are quest related.
I was kinda bothered by it actually and managed to find the part in the code that controls this.

Should we just disable it altogether? Or maybe make the function check for extra flags, like if the NPC is a party member or some shit.

You can bait shopkeepers with hexed gloves or some other items that they will pick up, equip and die or lose consciousness, so that you can rob their shop hassle free. Does anyone want this exploit to stay?
Make the choice optional would be my suggestion.

Another question: why can't I reach Dernholm ez pz if I don't destroy the thieves at the bridge? Or is there another reason?

2) Is there a way to get xp from the hits done by summoned creatures? What about adding some hotkey to make the work of a summoner easier?

Diggfinger

Arcane
How/where exactly did you install it?
I also have the GOG edition. I installed in it the GOG/Arcanum folder. Installation seemed to go well. But whenever I try to launch the game something weird happens. The launcher seems to continually open and close. And all open programs seem to be alt-tabbing or it might be that my resolution is continually changing or something. Anyone have an idea what's causing this?

I just followed the steps: "D:\GoG\Arcanum\Arcanum" - then to launch the game, use Config.exe, from that directory.

These are my settings ;)

QNHGloD.png

EDIT: Uncheck "Enable autoupdate..." only after it installs the latest patch, if you want. Otherwise it checks for updates with every launch.

Also, in the same directory, use HiRes.exe if you want to tweak your resolution - uninstall then reinstall. HiRes sets a default and the Config launcher MUST match it, or the game won't run.

Hope that helps!

Anyone running the game through Wineskin, by any chance(for the Mac).
Managed to get the game running before with the high-res patch, but after installing MultiVerse I get constants screen flicker :-(

Normally running Winetricks > Settings and run ddr=gdi (Set DirectDrawRenderer to gdi) solves it, but not this time...

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I get an error at the almost very end of the installation process: Error while unpacking archive: "ext.arc" [-1]
Anybody? I tried to download the package both normally from the mirror and through the torrent. I get the same result.

Macbeth

Scholar
I get an error at the almost very end of the installation process: Error while unpacking archive: "ext.arc" [-1]
Anybody? I tried to download the package both normally from the mirror and through the torrent. I get the same result.
Shut down antivirus during installation.

Managed to get the game running before with the high-res patch, but after installing MultiVerse I get constants screen flicker :-(

Normally running Winetricks > Settings and run ddr=gdi (Set DirectDrawRenderer to gdi) solves it, but not this time...
"Play" with preferences.

arcanumer

Barely Literate
I just acquired a heal rate of 6 by means of several items and I thought I could finally enjoy Dominate Will'ing every damn NPC in the game but to my horror, I noticed that more oftentimes than not the 'maintain' cost is well above the stated 6 or 6 @ 10 (for those who know it). When it doesn't work as advertised, it bloody well drains 13 pts of fatigue. It is also as if the heal rate regen is not getting through. I am hoping some heavyweight like Drog could take a look at this. Simply cast Dominate Will on said target npc, cancel the effect and recast until said problem occurs. It is intermittent, really but more often AND more importantly my player character is NOT a dwarf either as the initial casting cost 'deducted' was 25. I am quite amazed that I have not found anyone complaining/reporting of this bug (of which I am fairly certain it is) throughout the years since the game was released. Can anyone otherwise explain the mechanic behind this? If indeed it is not a bug? To test this, naturally I do not recommend equipping any staves or equipment that supplies an independant mana pool. BTW, this also happens to Reflection Shield. I have not tested other spells though and it doesn't occur seem to be an issue with those cheap buff spells either. I originally encountered this on the GOG version fully patched with the latest UAP and all the other bells and whistles. Then I tried this Multiverse edition in the hopes that someone would have found and fixed this by now, but nah, didn't happen.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Shut down antivirus during installation.
I hate the future :argh:

I've found my first bug.

Stillwater: saving the mage for the blacksmith

No matter what I do, the quest always ends in it failing. I've tried to:

> save the mage by destroying asap the gate trapping him and letting him go
> waiting for the ogre to spawn, killing him, then saving the guy
> saying the guy I don't give a fuck, waiting for the ogre to spawn, get his key, then opening it

Wonder what I'm supposed to do?

Savegame is here: https://ufile.io/6xbs0

a little edit: I noticed that in that savegame I failed the quest related to the ruby. I had to re-do the quest with a prior save.. but right now I'm wondering if I need to send you my 'new' save to fix the bug or if I can do it myself ez pz

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Do you have a save before you take a quest with mage? When you enter the cave first time you've already failed the quest.
That is NOT normal. We have no idea how you made it. Before we didn't have reports about it.

For other players, please check this quest too.

In the chance that you can't replicate the bug I could make a fraps video for you. Savegame here: https://ufile.io/piwcn

To replicate the bug:

> Talk with the gnome, tell him you got the ruby, and when asks for it tell him to fuck off because you want the ruby for yourself. [third choice]
> As soon as you killed the gnome, just leave the building and wait for the guard to notice that you killed the gnome. He\she will attack you. Kill him.
> Quest will fail as soon as the guard dies.

Last notes:
- the blacksmith is not hostile nor notices that you killed the gnome, so I doubt you can faill the quest for such a reason.
- I did not install additional mods.

Last edited:
I've found another bug that involves gar. You can double purchase him. You can use the savegame I've given you because I've got teleport and you can check in really little time.

When talking with Gaar about the tea choose the option "How long are you meant to be on display here"? then "why don't you join me"?

Then talk to Parnell and ask him to purchase GAR the orc (not the human). He will sell it to you for 2250.

Free gar

Then ask parnell again to purchase Gar. That's the bug.

Another (little) note: the guy inside the temple in tarant gives you too many pamplets :P

Another note: bringing Swyft to tarant with the teleport spell doesn't make her acknowledge as soon as you arrive that you reached Tarant. You have to bring her to the middle of the Tarantinian bridge.

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Okey, Google...

The error was caused by the fact that every guard of Stillwater on the Dying item was assigned Richard Leeks' script (02170Richard_Leeks_DEATH.scr). In theory, the error concerned one NPC, which was cloned in several guards. You killed a guard (doesn't matter which one; in total there are three of them), and this fact automatically closed the quest. Game thought that you killed Richard Leeks.
Same bug you may see in GOG or original game - we checked.

So, our congratulations, you've found a new original bug after 16 years of game release. :)

Fix was done, now it's inder test.

Question: how does chukka have 26 strength? Isn't the max supposed to be 24 for half ogre?
He is an ogre, not half-ogre.

When talking with Gaar about the tea choose the option "How long are you meant to be on display here"? then "why don't you join me"?
We'll check tomorrow.

Another (little) note: the guy inside the temple in tarant gives you too many pamplets
Fixed long ago. Waiting for version update.

Another note: bringing Swyft to tarant with the teleport spell doesn't make her acknowledge as soon as you arrive that you reached Tarant. You have to bring her to the middle of the Tarantinian bridge.
I'm not a technician of Arcanum, but I think that's because we changed the entrance of the town (not to run through the bridge every time). But Swyft was scripted to the initial entrance with some radius. We'll double check.

Last edited:
I feel honored to have helped you ♥

Note: Rough-cut diamond is treated as if it was the mysterious gem that spawns the naked halfling. So if you have a rough-cut diamond + the mysterious gem inside the inventory, you need to remove the diamond from your stuff or you won't be able to summon the halfling.

Another question: for some strange reason, now, when I summon half-ogres, only one of them appears amongst my followers. Suggestions? I think this started to happen once I had INT 12 and could summon three of them but I'm not totally sure, this is an hypothesis

> the naked halfling tends to be too murderous to my party. Can anything be done to make him kinder and less prone to dmg from the party?

> Summons tend too be extremely passive. Even when the party is fighting other critters\mobs, they tend to stay still. Can anything be done in this regard?

> What am I supposed to do with the cage that has the blue bunny regarding the stillwater quest? I've finished the quest but I still got the bunny inside the cage in the inventory of one of my npcs.

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
I've updated the previous post.

Note: Rough-cut diamond is treated as if it was the mysterious gem that spawns the naked halfling. So if you have a rough-cut diamond + the mysterious gem inside the inventory, you need to remove the diamond from your stuff or you won't be able to summon the halfling.
Yes, that's from original game. In the future update we're planned to replace some items with similar images to the new images, to make them unique.

Man, you're like submachine gun...

Last edited:

Poseidon

Educated

I'm pretty sure that was the case in the original game, if I remember correctly. I don't think it's anything related to Multiverse.

Man, you're like submachine gun...

Don't you mean a Kalashnikov? :D :russiastronk:

It's passion that goes through me. After these two days I doubt I will be able to play anymore Arcanum

By the way, I've got another report to do: while moving inside tsen-ang, the 'house' housing the master of the ogres becomes 'warped' and 'glitchy'

http://imgur.com/a/FnGFo

Same glich for 'nasrudin' sarcophagus under caladon.

2) Do you know a way to make the followers portrait extend all over the left part of the screen, instead of having to scroll via the arrows to see all of them?

3) Can a custom item for techies be added making the player able to teleport?

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
Some mods add staff of teleportation. We don't like this idea in principle, so NO.
Engineers must suffer. I'm telling it as an engineer. :)

Poseidon

Educated

Some mods add staff of teleportation. We don't like this idea in principle, so NO.
Engineers must suffer. I'm telling it as an engineer. :)

There's more to that than just plain ol' suffering xD
Using an item to teleport would still be considered magic. After all we're talking Arcanum world here. We have little knowledge behind the inner workings of magic (correct me if I'm wrong). It's magic, it just happens, that's all.
If a techie had an explanation for teleportation - say a dimensional rift that bends space to allow instantaneous travel, that pretty much breaks the lore and whole idea of science vs magic.
Besides, while Teleport is really useful, it almost feels like a cheat to me. You get no random encounters, or the pleasure of accidentally discovering something on your way (that is, if you haven't memorized the map after 15 odd years).

Modron

Arcane
Using an item to teleport would still be considered magic. After all we're talking Arcanum world here. We have little knowledge behind the inner workings of magic (correct me if I'm wrong). It's magic, it just happens, that's all.
If a techie had an explanation for teleportation - say a dimensional rift that bends space to allow instantaneous travel, that pretty much breaks the lore and whole idea of science vs magic.
Besides, while Teleport is really useful, it almost feels like a cheat to me. You get no random encounters, or the pleasure of accidentally discovering something on your way (that is, if you haven't memorized the map after 15 odd years).

Eh maybe you could incorporate the Car from Chris Beddoes Carcanum or something if Chris Beddoes can still be found somewhere out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom