Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Lack of a party is the true core problem with Bethesda games

Reapa

Doom Preacher
name one better party based rpg
wizardry 8 - checkmate. but really any party based, turn based rpg is better and most real time with pause. except maybe for tton, poe and some obscure crap nobody ever heard of.

Keldryn

Arcane
donald-trump-wrong-meme-wrong.jpg

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
If Obsidian created a Skyrim with a party and TB combat... We would all be happy and probably nobody else would buy it.

I mean, was there any other game that had a party, free movement and TB combat other than Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors?

I don't know, a hiking sim with turn-based combat could have mainstream appeal if done properly. For example, combat with a single character in Wizards and Warriors plays faster than most action games, doesn't feel too abstract (meaning it can please mainstream gamers), and is still a fine turn-based system. A well polished game centred around that kind of combat, while obviously not a tacticool experience, would still be a proper RPG with dice-rolls and risk and reward gameplay (not unlike Telengard, the first Dragon Quest, or most roguelikes), and the added benefit of seamless exploration, immershun, and casual appeal.

Also, Paper Sorcerer and Frayed Knights have both free movement and turn-based combat. The former was, if I'm not mistaken, quite profitable, while the latter is getting a sequel.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't know, a hiking sim with turn-based combat could have mainstream appeal if done properly.

Well, ever since hiking sims became a thing, not one of them came out even with the option to switch to TB combat.

For example, combat with a single character in Wizards and Warriors plays faster than most action games

W&W has a party - unless you mean playing with one character on purpose.

Also, Paper Sorcerer and Frayed Knights have both free movement and turn-based combat.

I don't know about Frayed Knights, but Paper Sorcerer is a dungeon crawler with grid-based maps and monochrome graphics. Hardly anything near a TB hiking simulator.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
For example, combat with a single character in Wizards and Warriors plays faster than most action games
W&W has a party - unless you mean playing with one character on purpose.
I do, playing W&W with a single party member does feel like immersive popamole (unlike slow and abstract games like Fallout) while having turn-based combat. A game building over that base could become quite popular.

Also, Paper Sorcerer and Frayed Knights have both free movement and turn-based combat.
I don't know about Frayed Knights, but Paper Sorcerer is a dungeon crawler with grid-based maps and monochrome graphics. Hardly anything near a TB hiking simulator.
I was answering your question about turn-based blobbers with free movement, both Paper Sorcerer and Frayed Knights qualify.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I'm having trouble contacting the thieves in Vastares, can't find a decent walk through. Any help?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Colony Ship RPG will also have recruitable companions, so the Führer is fully aware of this.

laclongquan

Arcane
What the Don said!

Sheeesh! For fuck's sake! NWN1 has no party as Codex recognize the term but there's a mad following in here. Star War Knights of the Old Republic has a minimalist's party size and ditto. Witcher series's Gerald? Even more so.

The true, core, problem of Bethesda game is shitty writings. There's a mastermind in there who control what get written and whatnot. Anytime there's no control of his/her/its, aka Fallout New Vegas, game got great.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What the Don said!

Bannon is probably playing Skyrim as of this moment.

The true, core, problem of Bethesda game is shitty writings. There's a mastermind in there who control what get written and whatnot. Anytime there's no control of his/her/its, aka Fallout New Vegas, game got great.

There is no true, core problem. Everything about Beth games is mediocre, uninspired and meaningless, from the writing to the combat.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I agree in that the biggest problem with Bethesda games are their writing. Combat systems are easily fixed with mods, shit writing in the base content of the game can never be fixed.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
TL;DR: Neither quest, world, dialogue design nor the real time combat is what is wrong with bethesda turds, but rather the lack of a party is the true core issue.
DA:I is a party-based game and it's worse than Skyrim. SCL is party-based and it's worse than NWN1 where you didn't have an actual party.

I understand what you're talking about. Having a party to fiddle with can sometimes mitigate (or at least disguise) the flaws. But it's not a panacea. You can't make a really bad game better by adding party mechanics to the mess you already have. Micromanagement isn't a substitute for combat system, party banter doesn't neccessarily dispel boredom, and companion quests, even if they provide a nice distraction, won't make the critpath less of a trainwreck.

The problem with Beth games in particular is the combat system that has barely evolved since 1997. The solution is simple: go hire a team of young aspiring game designers, give them carte blanche, be patient and in a few years you'll have your new franchise with new systems and new everything. They could do it easily with FO4. Even if they wanted to hedge against all risks, they could outsource FO4 to Obsidian. But they won't do it. They'll stick with their tried-and-true formulae until they go down with them.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
TL;DR: Neither quest, world, dialogue design nor the real time combat is what is wrong with bethesda turds, but rather the lack of a party is the true core issue.
DA:I is a party-based game and it's worse than Skyrim. SCL is party-based and it's worse than NWN1 where you didn't have an actual party.

I understand what you're talking about. Having a party to fiddle with can sometimes mitigate (or at least disguise) the flaws. But it's not a panacea. You can't make a really bad game better by adding party mechanics to the mess you already have. Micromanagement isn't a substitute for combat system, party banter doesn't neccessarily dispel boredom, and companion quests, even if they provide a nice distraction, won't make the critpath less of a trainwreck.
yes, but with a TB party "backbone" mods could maybe save the likes of Skyrim at least in the combat department. Then again, TB could conflict with spanking sex mods like initiating combat and making you spank in turns with more than one char which could be decline or incline depending on personal preferences. and then consoletards probably need the zoom out (3rd person) camera to see the asses of their chars while playing (this is probably what it all boils down to in the end, just like the UI that has to be made specifically for them). otherwise it's not immersive for them and could pose a problem with an 8 char 3rd person camera.
DA:I falls under the obscure crap nobody ever heard of category like TESO. Both MMOs that got really no attention from anyone besides perhaps crispy.
and i wasn't talking about adding party TB to a game already made but start with that premise.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I agree in that the biggest problem with Bethesda games are their writing. Combat systems are easily fixed with mods, shit writing in the base content of the game can never be fixed.
I disagree. Writing can be fixed with mods, the combat was never fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom