Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Viking Released

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Either email or the steam forums are fine, we're checking both regularly. Will say though, we often end up asking for savegames to be sent, so you might as well save yourself a step and just use email :) It's support@logicartists.com

jungl

Augur
game while "complete" still feels very much in beta with so many bugs I seen. All the bugs and also annoying design decisions make conquistador the superior game.

Saduj

Arcane
Funny that I was worried about the timer. I'm ready to finish the 1st campaign with over half the time left.

Still don't like that exploration is tied to finding camp sites now. I thought exploration was a strong point in their previous game.

daveyd

Savant
Funny that I was worried about the timer. I'm ready to finish the 1st campaign with over half the time left.

Still don't like that exploration is tied to finding camp sites now. I thought exploration was a strong point in their previous game.

But at least they got rid of the shitty "find the flag" quests.

Would you say that your concern for the timer added to the experience while still playing the 1st campaign, or detracted from it? Asking because a lot of people here hate the timer in FO as well.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Fallout has an additional secondary timer that is vague and ambiguous, as well as a time extender that is basically a trap. So far I'm not getting the sense that Expeditions: Viking is going to deliver the gut-punch several hours into my rampage across Britain. The timer is clear and readily available, if a bit hesitant to impose a genuine sense of urgency.

Tigranes

Arcane
As far as I can tell, the timer may as well not exist given the massive leeway it gives you, and that quickly becomes quite clear. I'd say same goes for the plenitude of camping spots and rations.

Saduj

Arcane
Would you say that your concern for the timer added to the experience while still playing the 1st campaign, or detracted from it? Asking because a lot of people here hate the timer in FO as well.

Short answer: I'm slightly negative on it as of now.

I didn't bother with most of the camp sites in the first campaign because the timer concerned me more than it should have. Based on the camp sites I did visit, I don't think I missed much. But how do I know what I missed?

In general, I like to err on the side of allowing the player freedom. I also usually want to explore the whole map. And I have plenty of deadlines at work so I don't care for them in my games. So, the timer is a bit of a bummer.

From what I understand, the timed events in the next campaign are integral to the plot. So I could still end up agreeing that the timer is necessary.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game and haven't had any crashes/bugs in a while.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
As far as I can tell, the timer may as well not exist given the massive leeway it gives you, and that quickly becomes quite clear. I'd say same goes for the plenitude of camping spots and rations.

You'd be surprised if you read the STEAM forums. Many people somehow run out of time very easily. I have no fucking idea how they manage it, I guess they think it's fun to sit and camp all day long.

jungl

Augur
Have a broken quest where I cant talk to a red hair scout captured held captive because I went in where he was held captive and killed his captors before receiving the quest to save him. This kind of shit people get pissed and steam refund over.

Modron

Arcane
Have a broken quest where I cant talk to a red hair scout captured held captive because I went in where he was held captive and killed his captors before receiving the quest to save him. This kind of shit people get pissed and steam refund over.
People forgave witcher 3 for doing this same thing. One quest broken by player activity isn't the worst thing ever (if doesn't prevent you from finishing the game).

Lhynn

Arcane
Can you pick a created companion as a bannerman? what impact does it have on the game?

daveyd

Savant
Can you pick a created companion as a bannerman? what impact does it have on the game?

I think that might just be for roleplaying purposes, but I haven't completed the game yet so I can't say for sure. I picked Asleifr because it seemed like he'd want the job more than anyone else. I don't remember whether it gave him a Morale boost. but it may have.

Barbarian

Arcane

I think that might just be for roleplaying purposes, but I haven't completed the game yet so I can't say for sure. I picked Asleifr because it seemed like he'd want the job more than anyone else. I don't remember whether it gave him a Morale boost. but it may have.

It did gave him a big moral boost initially. I haven't finished the game yet but so far the choice of bannerman seems to have had no effect other than that.

And yes you can pick created companions but what is the point?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

It did gave him a big moral boost initially. I haven't finished the game yet but so far the choice of bannerman seems to have had no effect other than that.

And yes you can pick created companions but what is the point?

Bannerman seems to speak some extra lines in a few main path quests, but it is basically selecting the portrait that will tell them.

SniperHF

Arcane
Game seems to run like shit when I enable SSAA. Are you guys encountering this as well?

Yes. I assume it's something akin to supersampling like Witcher 2 had. You might be able to use it in 3 years on a GTX 1380 :lol:

Monolith

Prophet
Another patch out, looks like lots of fixing being done so far. :thumbsup:

Avonaeon
Any plans to change parts of the gameplay / combat in any significant way?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Avonaeon
Any plans to change parts of the gameplay / combat in any significant way?

There's some things we really want to do, like a preparation phase and some additional difficulty sliders, but whether we can get to it depends on how long we'll be fixing bugs for. Can't promise anything, but here's hoping!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We've been unable to reproduce this bug on our own machines, but we've been asking those of you who reported experiencing it for your savegames, so hopefully we'll find a way to make it crash for us as well, so we can find it and fix it.

And this is why you use crash logging and reporting, including crash dumps. There are even premade tools for this, that pretty much just have to be plugged in to C++ code.
It is unrealistic to expect to be able to reproduce all bugs on the dev machines...

Mortmal

Arcane
We've been unable to reproduce this bug on our own machines, but we've been asking those of you who reported experiencing it for your savegames, so hopefully we'll find a way to make it crash for us as well, so we can find it and fix it.

And this is why you use crash logging and reporting, including crash dumps. There are even premade tools for this, that pretty much just have to be plugged in to C++ code.
It is unrealistic to expect to be able to reproduce all bugs on the dev machines...
No but a few hours of play and you can find several bugs , some game breaking ones, the launch version was clearly a beta .

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the point is that a developer can never, ever do all the testing him/themselves.
From experience, you simply do not use your own program like user X does. And that doesn't even take into account differences from various PC setups. And it worse for programs (like games) that have a lot of user interaction.

Therefore, you either need to hire a proper QA (which indies definitely cannot afford), make use of an open/closed beta or use something like Early Access.
And to make any of that more useful to you, you need proper error reporting/logging (usually, MMOs are pretty good at that, online games in general).

It takes 2-3 days to set up, and that will save you weeks - if not more - in trying to reproduce how exactly a user fucked up your code.
Then again, I have seen (and worked with) more companies that do not use proper error reporting than those which do - and that is outside of gaming, so a single customer is usually far more important.

tl;dr:
mystery.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom