Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you play RPG's? No, really, why?

What is it about RPG's that keeps you so passionate about them?

• It's the combat, stupid. Tactical, turn-based, even RTwP, I can't get enough. Fight!

Votes: 86 45.0%
  • RPG's are the only kind of games that contain the stories that I love so much. TL;DR means nothing.

Votes: 52 27.2%
  • The escapism of RPG's always draws me back. Fuck this gay earth, I want to be elsewhere.

Votes: 99 51.8%
  • My main goal is to recreate the Pen and Paper experiences I had as a kid. No one plays with me.

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Intra-party interaction is what I'm all about. Banter between party members, romances, oh yeah.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • I like to fully immerse myself into the protagonist's role. Games like Witcher and Gothic rule.

Votes: 37 19.4%
  • I simply don't like any other type of games.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I like the graphics.

Votes: 21 11.0%
  • All of the above and the two final choices below (Infinitron)

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • None of the above or below (kc)

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • It's all about character building and progression for me. Unlimited power!

Votes: 101 52.9%
  • The Choices and Consequences possible in RPG's are unmatched elsewhere. Vince would agree.

Votes: 81 42.4%

• Total voters

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
About the only thing we here at Codex can agree upon is that RPG's do exist, even if we'll never actually be able to define what they are.
But there's some reason why most of us can't or won't ever give them up.

What is it about them that keeps drawing you back to them like a retarded lemming year after year?

You can make as many selections as you like.

Edit: The final two choices in the poll were added later, but apparently XenForo lacks the ability to move those up into the previous sequence, so they do look a little awkward coming after the (kc) option, which is traditionally last. We apologize for any inconvenience caused or autistic fits triggered.

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
You forgot the risk & reward kind of gameplay which tends to be the main appeal of games like Wizardry. It's not just combatfaggotry since it includes traps and level design, and can work equally well with simplistic combat (Telengard, Ultima 3, Dragon Quest, etc.).

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What about progression? Isn't that a big part of what separates RPGs from other genres? I'm often a lot more interested in how I'm leveling up my characters than actually fighting out battles.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Ah, character building and progression. How silly of me. Adding.

Edit: Added. Feel free to change your vote(s) if you wanted to include that choice.

Thank you, Nutria.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
None of the above. I'm not more passionate about RPGs than any other genres. A good FPS or strategy games brings me the same joy as a good RPG.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Abstaining from vote.

My creativity matters in RPGs in a way no other genre can handle. I can make my own customized game pieces and run them through the story's challenges and have my character choices impact everything. What will it be like to play through Wasteland 3 with a bureaucrat, a metallurgist, a cryptographer, and a knife thrower in my party?

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The ability to make my own customized game pieces and run them through the story's challenges and have my character choices impact everything. What will it be like to play through Wasteland 3 with a bureaucrat, a metallurgist, a cryptographer, and a knife thrower in my party? My creativity matters in RPGs in a way no other genre can handle.
This, with risk & reward and exploration, is what I like about RPGs. Sadly, I can't vote for any of them.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The poll choices will all be cleaned up as soon as one of the lazy admins reads my PM.

Apologies for the temporary imperfection.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Exploration is paramount in RPGs, even above combat (though combat is also crucial, to be sure), and character building/progression is tertiary. These are the three fundamental aspects of RPGs.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It seems to me that the "creativity" part is covered under character progression and the exploration is inherently covered under escapism and/or immersion. Not sure if another poll choice is justified. Besides, exploration is not something that is by any means restricted to RPG's.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tend to play cRPG's for the "comprehensive" or "all-encompassing" (and PnP-like) experience only they tend to provide when they are done right. This, in basics, consists of organic simulation and progression of a created (or assigned) character through a comprehensive set of rules -> wealth of gameplay, interaction and character expression opportunities; combat and otherwise -> reactivity to character and style of play accordingly, and interactive storytelling.

Maxie

I seek validation from playing games far too complicated for their own good but not complicated enough to constitute an actual intellectual challenge
gets my mind off the booze

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"It's all about character building and progression for me. Unlimited power!"
is different from
"I'm a co-author! My creative character choices matter to the story."
I'd vote for that second one but the first one is wrong because I don't care about power. Optimizing number stacks is the last thing I want to worry about. In fact I usually make suboptimal characters on purpose because it's always more interesting. If my characters don't have weaknesses I might as well be playing an action game. Mario has an optimal build for the game he's in.

Tigranes

Arcane
We think we can break anything down into enough discrete choices, put them into excel and figure it out, but that's not how it works. If it was just the combat, I'd play games with better combat... or just re-run JA2 & TOEE, or something. It's usually about the combination, and often, highly lauded or criticised features in X RPG succeeds or fails as a result of how it combines with other features (or lack of them) as well.

Also every RPG good or bad is a lifelong training exercise for the coming of Grimoire

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Some games I like for their mapping challenges, especially blobbers like Bard's Tale and Chaos Strikes Back.
Some games I like for their tactical combat, like Gold Box and IE games, Nahlakh, Disciples of Steel.
Some games I like for exploration and "immersion", like Ultima Underworld.
Some games I like for the "logistics", like Magic Candle.
Originally I guess I started playing CRPGs as a form of escapism, and I remember it pretty much coincided with liking Lord of the Rings and "fantasy music" like Yes and some other prog groups, and generally discovering that I was a nerd.

I don't play games "for the story", and a pox on all the gamers that never read a book but play games "for the story".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom