Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Latelistener

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Tried it within the refund period. I didn't enjoy much about the combat, and the audiovisual experience got really annoying. Sound mixing is super weird, such that inconsequential characters are louder than absolutely everything else while enemies are barely audible. Similarly, I don't like that the game lays on a thousand filters whenever an enemy is close, so I can't see what is five feet away from me. Additionally, there are no options for field of view or motion blur, so it can be hard to see what's going on in general.

On hard, the mimics turned out to be more challenging than I'd anticipated. The situations they get you into are certainly neat, but the actual means to combat them are uninteresting. The prevalent method was just to squirt them with goop and then hit them with the wrench, and it worked pretty well on the bigger enemies too. But at worst so far, there's only maybe four mimics around at a time. The main challenge for me lay in actually being able to see anything when I was engaged with enemies.

A more specific complaint I have is that the gloo gun doesn't harm enemies unless its projectiles hit them directly. If a pellet touches the ground an inch away from an enemy, it will expand in a way that looks like it could swallow up or stagger the enemy, but it doesn't affect anything at all.

I'm intrigued enough by the setting and some of the mechanics and design that I want to give it a second chance. However, I think I'm going to take my $60 back and wait for a sale and maybe a few patches.

It's a first person shooter it's not supposed to have solid rpg design jesus fuck.

Millennials. Millennials everywhere.

RoSoDude is mostly talking about challenge, not RPG.

do you customize things to slice, chop or mince,

or because it matters, god forbid, inside the plot, for some reason?

that's what he means with tension

Last edited:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Fucking hell the G.U.T.S level almost made me drop the game. Who thought this would be a good idea? At least the Arboterum looks pretty comfy.

oo thank god, some interaction with the environment at 16:30. Preyer shoots a red pipe, ejecting fire and then puts smores on it.

in the end maybe a videogame is good depending on the quantity and quality of its environmental interaction, and not just how bigger the chars' dicks can get to compensate for real players' ones
i mean, in most games the char gets his tools bigger and better but what does he do with them to affect the environment? Just destruction, he throws at it, he blows shit up.

Last edited:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I have no idea why the game wouldn't write game.cfg for you. Try to verify cache in Steam, otherwise I've no clue what's going on.

So the actual reason is that I have an accent in my Windows username and the game won't create the file because of that.
Hope they fix it somehow.

Zenith

Arbiter
To people playing: how would you describe level design? Do they actually attempt to do System Shock 2, with useful places you memorize and return to, areas locked off until later, itemization to encourage sensible scavenging, etc? Or is it the same as it is in Bioshock and Alien: Isolation, where you technically could return to places you visited, but never ever actually have any reason to do so? Not asking about level complexity in general, on that I trust Arkane's competence enough already.

Also, in case any brave poorfags are trying this out, is it gonna run (however shittily) on a laptop with 1 Gig VRAM? DX4 crashed on every dialogue.

ciox

Liturgist
To people playing: how would you describe level design? Do they actually attempt to do System Shock 2, with useful places you memorize and return to, areas locked off until later, itemization to encourage sensible scavenging, etc? Or is it the same as it is in Bioshock and Alien: Isolation, where you technically could return to places you visited, but never ever actually have any reason to do so? Not asking about level complexity in general, on that I trust Arkane's competence enough already.

Also, in case any brave poorfags are trying this out, is it gonna run (however shittily) on a laptop with 1 Gig VRAM? DX4 crashed on every dialogue.

Yeah there are spots to return to later, there are many hack/repair/leverage skill checks which is simlar to DX3/4, as an example the space shuttle you've seen in the trailers has been moved further away and has some level III skill checks to be able to loot it all, even though you can choose to go there right away.
Everyone's crying about the game not being optimized but simply having simple/lowres graphics, which is actually a good things for poorfags like us, I think you'll be able to run the game as long as you have enough normal RAM.

6a3c0EO.jpg

2sSWOGh.jpg

ciox

Liturgist
Even on Hard, you can craft a fair bit of ammo if you really want to, but pistol ammo is still not very effective against most targets, I bursted 3 clips on an ether phantom in no time, will be able to tell later how IMBA the crafting is. (I used all my materials here and recycled some Spare Parts, which I might need later)
yHo2uFM.jpg

Some pics of status effects:
EnXN5Bp.jpg

xzV2PM1.jpg

Trash Player

Scholar
Still not sold on the depth of the upgrade system.

How much upgrade depth are you expecting? There's six skill trees, every weapon has multiple stats that can be improved, and you can install upgrades for your suit and psychoscope.

The question I have is do any of these things matter? Do you feel like you actually have to think about what upgrades you want to get, other than for how fun and cool they sound to you? The key to solid RPG design is having some upgrades that you feel you want and some you feel you need, so there's tension in the experience. Minor improvements to healing and weapon accuracy and a suite of gimmicky powers do not fit this bill.

I don't know how the game actually plays out, but the impression I got from the list of powers was that you don't have to think much about your approach to character building, and just go with whatever sounds cool or immediately useful. Compared to something like System Shock 2 (which is the prime object of comparison), it appears to be a downgrade in depth, even if not necessarily in complexity or breadth. I hope I'm wrong about this, but that's how I'd characterize Dishonored.
From what I saw watching a stream, the context does not create real hard choices.
Infinite Hp/Psy/Suit refill + limited enemy progression + de facto infinite skill points(quite late though) are in effect after all.
What Morgoth described is probably the peak of difficulty, what with the advanced spawns+still limited resources+low char dev potential.
The tree itself is quite poorly thought out, with pit traps/obvious choices like Xp down-payment, redundant alternatives, dubious payoffs or plain potency competing with ease-of-use(this is arguably the sign of a fool-proof AAA release).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom