Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

DramaticPopcorn

Is Age of Wonders 3 worth it? Didn't like it that much at release. Something was missing.
Since no one else replied, it's kinda decent, although it's still missing the magic (literally) of earlier installments.

pippin

It was the update that Aspyr made on Steam. It wasn't just Steam Workshop and achievments iirc.

Also the old games don't work really good... Dark Forces 1 might need some DosBox tweaking I guess, but Dark Forces 2 on Steam always has been very very broken.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is Age of Wonders 3 worth it? Didn't like it that much at release. Something was missing.
Since no one else replied, it's kinda decent, although it's still missing the magic (literally) of earlier installments.
With both addons it's definitely worth it and definitely more than decent, assuming you don't expect strategic depth from it. The tactical layer with possible class-skills-masteries-races combination is great. It's true that that it lacks the charm of previous installments, I mostly blame the bad 3d graphics.

DramaticPopcorn

With both addons it's definitely worth it and definitely more than decent, assuming you don't expect strategic depth from it. The tactical layer with possible class-skills-masteries-races combination is great. It's true that that it lacks the charm of previous installments, I mostly blame the bad 3d graphics.
I blame lack of sustainable unit buffs, limited strategic spells, lack of unique units between races and really goddamn tedious campaign.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Strategic magic, together with stuff like movement and naval rules, is a part of a bigger problem that is strategic layer being mostly an afterthought. AoW 2/SM was no a paragon of 4X gaming either and AoW 1 was even worse, but obviously if someone is looking for a strategy game first and foremost then he should turn to Endless Legend instead. The one big problem that stems from strategic layer, but impacts tactical combat a lot, is decreasing stacks to 6 units - this really sucks and makes many niche units that could be otherwise very useful basically obsolete.

There are quite a lot of unique units, but the game is worse than SM in that regard obviously and has less races as well. They were very clear and upfront about variety coming from classes instead, but if it's a deal breaker to someone then fair fucks to him. Although the variety was improved along the way and now many class units have different attacks and skills depending on their race. You also need to remember about minor factions with their separate unit rosters, which is quite a bid deal and new to the series.

Regarding the campaign - the whole vanilla package was rather mediocre, that's why I only recommend it with addons. I've completed both addon campaigns, which is something I rarely do in games like these, and they were good fun.

Overall, the complete package definitely gets my seal of approval because what it does good it does really well. The tactical combat and party building options leave most recent crpgs in the dust and the combat aspect of strategy games like EL doesn't even compare.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Another p cool retro game on sale. If enjoy the Quake 3 engine era action games (as in both the graphics style and gameplay), get it.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Styx: Master of Shadows -75%
and
Styx: Shards of Darkness -33%

Only 4 hours left!

Bought the first one, really like it so far.

pippin

In the last month Steam has been receiving tons of titty games. They must have sex as a secondary element, so we won't see Meet n Fuck games on Steam (yet)
I'd like to think it's a battle won by Huniepop and the Sakura games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom