Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Lack of a party is the true core problem with Bethesda games

Reapa

Doom Preacher
So i've been playing "The Quest" lately and i can't stop thinking it would actually benefit from real time combat. Of course it would be garbage by default but then as a single character "blobber" it's garbage anyway. And i say blobber because it has a lot in common with blobbers, aside from the fact that you don't have a party. it's first person, grid based. so how is this relevant? well given the fact that bethesda continues to deliver single character action rpgs with a first person camera, you could think they might be better it they were at least turn based. But they wouldn't. They would actually suck even more. This says a lot about how much one can hope to gain from moding these bethesda games. So no, requiem doesn't save Skyrim, Enderal doesn't save skyrim, and there's really no hope for the next elder scrolls either. As for the new fallouts, they may be serviceable as single player shooters for the people who like them but if you realize how boring V.A.T.S. is mainly because of the game laking party mechanics, you will see why they will never be (good) rpgs. Cranking up the difficulty will never replace more complex mechanics.
TL;DR: Neither quest, world, dialogue design nor the real time combat is what is wrong with bethesda turds, but rather the lack of a party is the true core issue.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
TL;DR: Neither quest, world, dialogue design nor the real time combat is what is wrong with bethesda turds, but rather the lack of a party is the true core issue.

I realized this back when Dungeon Hack came out. It's a rogue-like with procedurally generated dungeons. The art and mechanics are the same as the Eye of the Beholder games, but for some reason they reduced it to one person. And that's what broke it.

dungeon-hack_5.gif

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As for the new fallouts, they may be serviceable as single player shooters for the people who like them but if you realize how boring V.A.T.S. is mainly because of the game laking party mechanics

In the right hands BethFallout with VATS could be turned into a Wiz8-like. I wouldn't mind.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
As for the new fallouts, they may be serviceable as single player shooters for the people who like them but if you realize how boring V.A.T.S. is mainly because of the game laking party mechanics

In the right hands BethFallout with VATS could be turned into a Wiz8-like. I wouldn't mind.
Wiz8-like minus the late-game W8 hp-bloat please...

FeelTheRads

Arcane

In the right hands anything could be turned into anything, really.

Though I doubt there is anyone who can salvage something out of the F3/NV gameplay and VATS. By far the most horrendous bastardization of two genres I've ever encountered.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
can't stop thinking it would actually benefit from real time combat.
you leave it there without explanation and draw weird conclusions
sorry, it was just obvious in my head. it would benefit from real time combat because turn based combat that is not interesting at all is just slow. and without a party you just scroll the menus for the spells you want to cast with one single character or just push attack again and again and heal yourself every now and then, all the while waiting for the same animations to finish. of course there may be games out there that are a lot faster than "the quest" but with only one character it's still pretty pointless. there are no strategies or tactics that would require a careful micromanagement to speak of.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I'm playing the Quest now and the card game is really addicting. I'm up to 14k in gold and I'm only level 5

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

In the right hands anything could be turned into anything, really.

Though I doubt there is anyone who can salvage something out of the F3/NV gameplay and VATS. By far the most horrendous bastardization of two genres I've ever encountered.

Yeah, I know and agree. It's just this little thought excercise I had back when I learned New Vegas was going to copy Fallout 3. There are some very bare bones basics laid out in VATS if you consider the similiarity of action and think of the AP as representative of partymembers.

Think about it...

The mirth! :lol:

dRW97dA.png

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If Obsidian created a Skyrim with a party and TB combat... We would all be happy and probably nobody else would buy it.

I mean, was there any other game that had a party, free movement and TB combat other than Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors?

Alkarl

Learned
If Obsidian created a Skyrim with a party and TB combat... We would all be happy and probably nobody else would buy it.

I mean, was there any other game that had a party, free movement and TB combat other than Wizardry 8 and Wizards & Warriors?

Might & Magic 6-8? Not quite the same, but similar, yeah? Idk, I fucking love those games.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
can't stop thinking it would actually benefit from real time combat.
you leave it there without explanation and draw weird conclusions
sorry, it was just obvious in my head. it would benefit from real time combat because turn based combat that is not interesting at all is just slow. and without a party you just scroll the menus for the spells you want to cast with one single character or just push attack again and again and heal yourself every now and then, all the while waiting for the same animations to finish. of course there may be games out there that are a lot faster than "the quest" but with only one character it's still pretty pointless. there are no strategies or tactics that would require a careful micromanagement to speak of.

I for one did take advantage of turn based borrowed time to inspect my surroundings and grid movement to avoid being hit by everyone. If it was real time ill be just standing in spot and hacking.
Also the key factor is that it is game for phones. If it wasnt turn based then you wouldnt have that many options to choose from and would have boring game in the end.
Porting it to PC and selling it was a mistake. I bought it for PC first and discarded quickly. Way later I bought it for my phone and played a lot. Different mindset, different experience I guess.

As for other items...
As for the new fallouts, they may be serviceable as single player shooters for the people who like them but if you realize how boring V.A.T.S. is mainly because of the game laking party mechanics, you will see why they will never be (good) rpgs.
VATS is boring because its basically a way to introduce aimbot to fps game. Looking at how aimbots are perceived and how vats is praised by random people id say it was quite brilliant move that allowed to sell fps game to people that suck at it(or play with controller).
Again, you drop party mechanics in there which i dont find connected at all.

All in all you draw conclusions I dont agree with at all. Id sum your statement with its core: single player game can never be complex enough. I dont see how its relevant if its isometric/first person/3rd person/whatever. Not personally and your message didnt convince me otherwise.
To which Ill just give counter argument: path of exile.

In grand scheme of things and "golden design" I dont think that it matters if game is isometric/1st/3rd person, real time or turn based. Design game first and just chose what fits best.

at the end Ill put disclaimer: Im not recently fond of large party management and prefer single or 3-4man party top. If I were to replay iwd/bg2 today my party would be of size 3-4.

mobile games must have damaged what little brain you had if you fail to see how a party is more fun to (micro)manage than a single character. of course the underlying system must offer enough diversity between party members to justify party size, but that's a given. if you make a game like Knights of the Chalice where you only have 3 different classes but party size is fixed at 4 it won't be praised as much as Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate 2 where there are more classes than party slots and even some class combinations.
this is not about single player vs multiplayer, it's about single character vs party.
if "The Quest" is a mobile game i can see why it's turn based, but not why it's single character. It probably has more combat than Wiz 8 but the combat is so simplistic that it becomes very boring very fast. so the turn base mechanic which is traditionally used for maximum accuracy in executing strategy and tactics is here wasted on saving a game on a medium not fit for playing from becoming a total clusterfuck in the hands of braindead morons with wurstfinger. it is used as a V.A.T.S. for a mobile action game without even the puddle depth of choosing the bodypart you want to hit for flavor. the fact that the game does not offer a party to go with its turn based combat only confirms my argument. the devs were either too lazy to develop a more complex system, or they thought, and rightly so, that mobile players don't have the brain capacity to handle more complex systems. after all they chose to play on their fucking phones.
if you easily get confused by too many letters in a text, here's the short version: you are a moron and mentioning path of exile is by itself qed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Might & Magic 6-8? Not quite the same, but similar, yeah? Idk, I fucking love those games.

Yeah, I meant after Wizardry 8 when stuff like Skyrim became super-popular, but nobody ever brought out a TB or party-version of a game like that. Even the new ELEX or Witcher 3 is the same RT and one-person crap.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

clearly we wouldn't all be happy. the codex is infested with consoletards, mobiletards, and plain old retards that think they like RPGs while only having played action RPGs and maybe an action roguelite or two.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Quest is almost a good game, but yeah, 1 character is dumb, especially for a turn based game. It would be a lot better if it was real time, or if they let you have a party of 4. It doesn't make much sense because I don't think modern tard gamers would even play something like that, so there was no point dumbing it down.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Quest is almost a good game, but yeah, 1 character is dumb, especially for a turn based game. It would be a lot better if it was real time, or if they let you have a party of 4. It doesn't make much sense because I don't think modern tard gamers would even play something like that, so there was no point dumbing it down.

They should do what the 7 Mages guys did and port it to the PC, with more party members. Though I guess that would require a complete rebalancing of enemies, loot, etc.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
mobile games must have damaged what little brain you had if you fail to see how a party is more fun to (micro)manage than a single character. of course the underlying system must offer enough diversity between party members to justify party size, but that's a given. if you make a game like Knights of the Chalice where you only have 3 different classes but party size is fixed at 4 it won't be praised as much as Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate 2 where there are more classes than party slots and even some class combinations.
this is not about single player vs multiplayer, it's about single character vs party.
no idea where did you get multiplier from in there. Higher party size games tend to railroad you into creating 1 awesome button for each character and executing it. I prefer having smaller size and each time actually thinking what action suits best.

the devs were either too lazy to develop a more complex system, or they thought, and rightly so, that mobile players don't have the brain capacity to handle more complex systems. after all they chose to play on their fucking phones.
1 programmer, 1 graphix guy
Fact that you compare them to bethesda, think that it was PC game first and complain on their laziness might be best praise they ever had.

if "The Quest" is a mobile game i can see why it's turn based, but not why it's single character.
simplifies UI. It was originally for iphone to be played in portrait mode -> the less buttons the better.

if you easily get confused by too many letters in a text, here's the short version: you are a moron and mentioning path of exile is by itself qed.
it appears that your path fully 'experience' rpg genre barely started. You are like this horse:
800px-Horse_Blinkers_%25284240744343%2529.jpg

Needs to limit its view or would panic.
Worry not, those can be removed and I can be your guide if you permit.

Lets start though with learning about logic and presenting arguments. We shall move to rpgs after that
glad you provided the horse. creating an awesome button for every character. riiight. {low heal - high heal, select target, unless they also fight when party is at full health, or buff} = 1 awesome button. talk about the horse ffs. and that's only the healer / a healer. then there's mages with specific spells, buffs, and targets, maybe a bard or psyonic, again, different targets and spells and then there's maybe party formation and inventory micromanagement (more party members provide more equipment slots to fill). how can you run into the fucking spear like that??? you can get all that with 4 party members, but i prefer 8. also with 8 you could make an archer be more than just another spear man when it comes to party formation.

aside from the fact that the game has no party i'm not criticizing "the quest" at all. the game has quite a big amount of spells, skills, attributes, items, enemies. ffs, it even has real C&C. you can also actually fail quests or solve them in different ways. it's an underrated and overlooked gem. what i'm criticizing is bethesda for having the money and manpower to deliver quality and depth and releasing one steaming pile of turd after another and am using the quest as an example of a turn based open world game of roughly the same scope which shares the same major flaw with bethesda titles.
it's a kind of ad absurdum argument showcasing that these single character open world "RPGs" couldn't even be saved from being turds by something as fun as turn based combat. only my ad absurdum (while usually a theoretical argument) actually has a real live example of a game that does everything bethesda does + turn base. it narrows down the problem i have (and every other codex member should have) with enjoying a core aspect of bethesda games, the combat, to party size in addition to being real time.

.........AI
......U..... I
...itemization
..tb......combat
party....(4-8) size ..................... is maybe a good visualization of optimal RPG combat system.

the fact that wizardry 8 managed to provide a working example of a first person, free movement, high party size, turn based RPG shows that it's possible at least to some extent. and while open world could pose a difficulty curve problem without level scaling, there are solutions. of the top of my head, world and encounter design like this:

........................................B...........................................
..................................................................................
.....................B..................................B..........................
................................F..............F...................................
....................................................................................
............B...........F.............................F.............B............
.......................................X..........................................
....................................................................................
.........................F..........................F.............................
................B..............................................B.................
.......................................F..........................................
..................................................................................
..........................B..........................B..........................
.......................................B..........................................

x - starting point
f - filler / low dificulty encounters
b - boss / boss like dificulty encounters

just imagine concentric circles, i'm not good at drawing them but you should get the picture.

now sprincle some quests and you're done.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

They should do what the 7 Mages guys did and port it to the PC, with more party members. Though I guess that would require a complete rebalancing of enemies, loot, etc.
Yeah. They already made a PC version recently with all new graphics. Looks really nice. But it is beyond me why anyone would want to play a simple phone game on a PC - the home of RPGs.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

No. Adding a party to a bethturd doesn't make it any less of a turd.

hivemind

name one better party based rpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom