Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, it's an ambitious game. And one being developed properly, not slapped together by a team of 50 people without any actual thought or planning simply churning out resources. I can't be made at a dev taking their time as long as they do regular progress updates.

Edit: Check out the guy's dev blog if you haven't, I've gotten more enjoyment out of just reading that than a lot of games I've played in the last decade.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought this couple of months ago, after playing Space Pirates and Zombies and loving that game... but for some reason I just can't get into this one, no matter how much I try. The world actually feels more artificial than SPAZ :(

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmmm damn, I'm not sure what to say. The thing is I hyped up myself too much before buying it. I had just been playing SPAZ and started to read about this game, how it was comparable but so much better, basically Mount & Blade in space. But I didn't get that feeling at all, actually the first thing that hit me after playing a bit was how much grinding I would have to do to get anywhere - with none of the fun. I don't mind grinding if it's fun. Maybe I just didn't understand the mechanics fully though. What was funny in my campaign was that there was a small pirate base close to one of the military faction protected planets, but instead of taking out that small pirate base they just chased the pirates around when they were getting close. It felt like it was up to me to eventually take out that pirate base through missions, it disappointed me. I was hoping for more "true simulation".

Mind you I didn't play too much and I could be wrong with everything :)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Campaign is not yet implemented Comrade, and Commissar is more for games when you command single ship/small squadron than great strategies when you are admiral or even worse need to administer the planets and such. As to pirate base well... Like in our word where we just tolerate places like Somalia cause our politicians lack the political will to solve its and other pirate heavens problem and besides another perpetual Global War on Piracy is just too good business so does the Hegemony which is just as Oligarchic and Corrupt while calling itself galactic democracy after all ...
Hegemony = :kwanzania:

Church of Lud = :hero:

Admiral Andrade faction = :russiastronk:

Independents = :cheersmate::vivelafrance::australia:

Pirates = :terrorist:

Terorists faction of Lud = :russia:

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
Right now, he has been setting up the systems that will make up the game. The campaign and story will come later. And people are making some really great mods.

The fact he is holding it back from Steam shows where his head is at. This will be one of the best space games out there in my opinion.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
New version 0.81a is out Space Comrades and Trannies: :russia:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2017/06/03/starsector-0-8-1a-release/

Update (6/3/17, 9:40pm EST): hotfix for crashes when approaching Hesperus in Eos Exodus system.

Starsector version 0.8.1a is now out! The release is mostly focused on quality-of-life features, polish, balance, and bugfixing, though it does include a bit of new content as well. Some highlights:

• New “Interdiction Pulse” campaign ability
  • New campaign music track
  • “Fighter Strike” combat command
  • “Lay in course” using right-click
  • Colossus Mk.II and Mk.III (militarized versions of the Colossus freighter)
  • … and a ton of smaller fixes and improvements
Of particular note to mod users: the game now comes with 64-bit Java, so there’s no need to manually swap it in if you’re running a large number of mods. If you’re on a 32-bit Windows system, not to worry – the installer will automatically detect that and proceed accordingly

Full changelog and dicksuction is here:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12482.0

Enjoy! :russiastronk:

Why in the fuck is this thread not 600 pages and everyone jizzing themselves? This game is fucking amazing. I get a big Space Rangers 2 vibe from it (although not quite all of the charm). Mechanics are solid to amazing. A little light on content at the moment, but modswillfixit(tm).

LizardWizard

Cipher
Why in the fuck is this thread not 600 pages and everyone jizzing themselves? This game is fucking amazing. I get a big Space Rangers 2 vibe from it (although not quite all of the charm). Mechanics are solid to amazing. A little light on content at the moment, but modswillfixit(tm).

Because it has no endgame or mid-game for that matter and won't be finished this decade.

Because it has no endgame or mid-game for that matter and won't be finished this decade.
Cleve's thread is over 1000 pages...

almondblight

Arcane

Yeah, I bought this almost 5 years ago, and had some fun with it at the time. And when he finally finishes it 5 years from now, I'll probably check it out again. But I'm not terribly interested with downloading it every 6 months to see his tweaks to the percentage of fuel lost when an enemy fleet attempts a disengagement.

Commissar Draco

Patron
At last in game sense of going deep space explorer and finding those level IV and V planet data outside of credits flow; will go fine with flying solo or for those small factions like Ludites/Askani Dick/Google sorry 3T too. I think Survey data should be treated like AI Cores too; trated to Governors for cash and faction favor but not something you just dump onto free market.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Coming Up
Continuing in the same vein, here’s an incomplete list of features/functionality/content that’s more or less directly related to outposts and is still largely or completely undone:

• Immigration – how an outpost grows in size, what happens when it does, etc
  • Market financials – income, upkeep, a monthly report, etc
  • Ship and weapon production (blueprints, etc)
  • AI Core mechanics (you’ve probably spotted some related icons in the screenshots, but I’ll say no more)
  • Exploration tie-ins – things you find in various star systems that affect any outposts you might establish there; lots of potential, but will have to winnow down a reasonable set
  • Things to defend outposts from; key to giving you something to fight for, i.e. context

immigration lolwat, is this victoria in spaaaaaaaaaace

New Blogpost up:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2018/06/12/pirate-bases-raids-and-objectives/

DfhPW6yXkAATHrR.jpg

Looks so goooood

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom