Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

DeepOcean

Arcane
Unfortunately I don't want to pay Bethesda crazy pricing here on Brazil, will wait for this to be 50% off into six months.

randir14

Augur
Still not sold on the depth of the upgrade system.

How much upgrade depth are you expecting? There's six skill trees, every weapon has multiple stats that can be improved, and you can install upgrades for your suit and psychoscope.

SumDrunkGuy

Hard difficulty is actually kind of hard. The word finally has some damn meaning again. I wonder what Nightmare is like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Tried the demo on ps4, controls were shit. Anyone playing the release version that can confirm they fixed the control lag?

randir14

Augur
Hard difficulty is actually kind of hard. The word finally has some damn meaning again. I wonder what Nightmare is like.

I'm playing on nightmare, I think the only difference from other difficulty modes is how much damage enemies do. Certain aliens can kill you in one or two hits which forces you into a more stealthy play style.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Still not sold on the depth of the upgrade system.

How much upgrade depth are you expecting? There's six skill trees, every weapon has multiple stats that can be improved, and you can install upgrades for your suit and psychoscope.

The question I have is do any of these things matter? Do you feel like you actually have to think about what upgrades you want to get, other than for how fun and cool they sound to you? The key to solid RPG design is having some upgrades that you feel you want and some you feel you need, so there's tension in the experience. Minor improvements to healing and weapon accuracy and a suite of gimmicky powers do not fit this bill.

I don't know how the game actually plays out, but the impression I got from the list of powers was that you don't have to think much about your approach to character building, and just go with whatever sounds cool or immediately useful. Compared to something like System Shock 2 (which is the prime object of comparison), it appears to be a downgrade in depth, even if not necessarily in complexity or breadth. I hope I'm wrong about this, but that's how I'd characterize Dishonored.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a first person shooter it's not supposed to have solid rpg design jesus fuck.

Millennials. Millennials everywhere.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's a first person shooter it's not supposed to have solid rpg design jesus fuck.

Millennials. Millennials everywhere.

You're not gonna get very far if you play it like a classic FPS. Difficulty, lack of ammo and Typhon wickedness/randomness is starting to show once the game truly opens up in the Arboretum. Till then the game is quite confined and easy. But then again many of the patrolling Typhon soldiers and the roaming Weaver in the Lobby can be avoided. The search-and-collect metagame in this game is real fun.

The game is much closer to Shock2 than Bioshock in terms of gameplay systems and level design structure. A proper FPS/RPG hybrid.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, SS2 wasn't an RPG either. It's a shooter with character progression and an inventory system. Like virtually every single FPS is nowadays.

Well except DOOM aka DOOM 4,pretty much the only "classic" FPS left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom