Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

Well what I got from this thread is that youtubers are either retarded or obnoxious (usually both). Ahoy is legit tho, enjoyed some of his stuff.

Jazz_

Arcane
I think the only 2 youtube gamers I'm subscribed to are BlueDrake42 (I still play Project Reality from time to time and he's like a celebrity in that game, I even ended up in his squad a couple of times) and GamingGHD (the dude puts out a lot of content and has an enticing romanian accent). This thread made me discover GGmanlives who seems an interesting fellow, probably gonna subscribe to him too. I absolutely abhor gaming channels that try to make ''comedy'' using vidyagames, as in let's explore all the hilarious bugs/derpy moments in this game, that's a type of humor I find completely retarded.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Pixelmusement/ Ancient Dos Games is pretty enjoyable. His videos are fairly analytic, you won't find flashy editing or too much painful failed attempts at humor here. AFAIK he makes one vid/ week.

He's in the process of uploading his videos to Youtube.

ADG is my favourite and the only one I watch regularly. He puts a lot of effort into his videos. The amount of time he seems to spend on configuring dosbox alone must be significant, as he tries every configuration possible for sound and even joystick support. The result is hints like in last week's "Nomad" video where he said that this is the first game ever where the Disney sound source produces the best sound of all options. He even figured out why Star Quest 1 is practically unplayable with a Joystick in Dosbox (something that has always annoyed me to no end, but I could never figure out the reason).

Obligatory :necro:.

I've been watching the ADG videos. When it comes to setting up DOSBox and finding the proper settings for certain games, he's a godsend. But when it comes to talking about the games he's covering, and what he says about them...good lord. He might as well read from the game's manual. Sometimes he does nothing but harp on about the technical aspects of the game. Sometimes he's all about the controls. Far too often he just recites all the weapons available and how they work in-game. Many of his videos make for good sleeping aides. When he does get a decent mix and balance of talking points, the video is well worth watching, but that's about 1 out of every 20 or so.

What games he chooses to look at is even stranger. Some of the biggest DOS titles ever are either overlooked for the longest time, or outright ignored. (Ultima? SSI RPGs? Never heard of them.) He spends way too much time on shovelware and clones no one cares about anymore. But the worst part is that he decided to make his videos a weekly venture, which is too short a time and therefore impacts the quality of his videos. A far more sensible approach would be to release longer videos at longer intervals that covered more games of a similar fashion. Instead of 3+ videos about crappy Breakout clones, why not just make 1 video that covers all of them?

He's clearly someone who knows way too much about videogames, and does a lot of good research, but he has little to no clue how to get all that information out to the public.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Pixelmusement/ Ancient Dos Games is pretty enjoyable. His videos are fairly analytic, you won't find flashy editing or too much painful failed attempts at humor here. AFAIK he makes one vid/ week.

He's in the process of uploading his videos to Youtube.

ADG is my favourite and the only one I watch regularly. He puts a lot of effort into his videos. The amount of time he seems to spend on configuring dosbox alone must be significant, as he tries every configuration possible for sound and even joystick support. The result is hints like in last week's "Nomad" video where he said that this is the first game ever where the Disney sound source produces the best sound of all options. He even figured out why Star Quest 1 is practically unplayable with a Joystick in Dosbox (something that has always annoyed me to no end, but I could never figure out the reason).

Obligatory :necro:.

I've been watching the ADG videos. When it comes to setting up DOSBox and finding the proper settings for certain games, he's a godsend. But when it comes to talking about the games he's covering, and what he says about them...good lord. He might as well read from the game's manual. Sometimes he does nothing but harp on about the technical aspects of the game. Sometimes he's all about the controls. Far too often he just recites all the weapons available and how they work in-game. Many of his videos make for good sleeping aides. When he does get a decent mix and balance of talking points, the video is well worth watching, but that's about 1 out of every 20 or so.

What games he chooses to look at is even stranger. Some of the biggest DOS titles ever are either overlooked for the longest time, or outright ignored. (Ultima? SSI RPGs? Never heard of them.) He spends way too much time on shovelware and clones no one cares about anymore. But the worst part is that he decided to make his videos a weekly venture, which is too short a time and therefore impacts the quality of his videos. A far more sensible approach would be to release longer videos at longer intervals that covered more games of a similar fashion. Instead of 3+ videos about crappy Breakout clones, why not just make 1 video that covers all of them?

He's clearly someone who knows way too much about videogames, and does a lot of good research, but he has little to no clue how to get all that information out to the public.

IIRC he's also disgusting brony.

:timetoburn:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I mentioned Bormac the other day in shoutbox and people seemed to like his playlists. I found him about a year ago while looking for hints to the one crappy level in Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic campaign. He has barely any subs but pretty good taste. If I could be so bold as to recommend one of his bad taste playthroughs might I suggest Bad Game Theatre: Garshasp. It'd be great if some of you lot who like youtube gaming vids could go unlock your safe deposit box, retrieve your soul, stuff your sole back in its socket and give this guy some links around the place, I think he deserves some love after years of dedication for so little support. No idea if all his vids are great, but Garshasp alone deserves 100k views at least.

:Flash:

Arcane
What games he chooses to look at is even stranger. Some of the biggest DOS titles ever are either overlooked for the longest time, or outright ignored. (Ultima? SSI RPGs? Never heard of them.) He spends way too much time on shovelware and clones no one cares about anymore.
That's actually one of the things I like about him. I don't need the 52nd Ultima video. I like hearing about games I have never heard of before, or I just remember existing vaguely. And every once in a while he gets me interested enough in a game to try it out.

sullynathan

Arcane
These guys do great tech analysis and easy for viewers that are not so tech savvy to understand. I really like their channel, and they're unbiased.

Their retro series is pretty great too.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

dofrtae mostly reviews crpgs, pretty well done videos and reviews even though the guy isn't the most dynamic and videos can be a tad too long.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Obligatory Fluent's World mention. From Fluent's World him...itself. :dealwithit:

YouTube RPG-focused gaming does not get better than this, that much is clear. Not many people put the amount of effort that I do into my videos. That amount of effort just happens to be close to zero. So my statement is accurate.

:positive:

newtmonkey

Arcane
ADG videos
I enjoy this guy's videos, and I like that he covers some obscure stuff (you will not find a more in-depth review of the shitty DOS Mega Man game anywhere else). The problems I have with him are:
1) He is obviously borderline autistic and harps on minor things normal people don't give a shit about.
2) He is a filthy brony and has some my little pony stuffed animal he made by hand. Normally I wouldn't care but he showed the thing off out of nowhere in some video that was otherwise about DOS games, and all I could think was, that guy made that thing to fuck it.
2) All his DOSBOX research is for naught as when it comes to music he always just recommends picking Sound Blaster. MT-32 emulation is mature enough (and easy enough) that anyone serious about DOS gaming should be playing these games with MT-32 music. It just triggers me, what can I say.

Endemic

Arcane
Ah, MandaloreGaming. I remember him from the ME2 "Assuming Direct Control" meme days.

M0RBUS

Augur
That's definitely one game that doesn't need a character creation guide. It's really simple, you just need to read what each thing does and play around with it.
I think they did a pretty good job with the system, even though I would have liked it if it weren't so easy to create dumpstats. But it's not a flaw, it's just a quirk of the system, I guess. It's not like there's any one stat that's universally useless (I'm looking at you Wasteland 2) and they're pretty balanced, all things considered.
I also liked that they "detect" what kind of character you're building based on the stats you have. I don't know how they do it, yet, but I like it.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Rocket Jump Ninja

Over 50 mouse reviews based on over 18 years of Quake experience.
I'm also reviewing mouse pads, bungees, keyboards, headsets, monitors and other tech.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom