Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The description of the interior of the hut puts Urash in mind of an old Kurgan folktale about a powerful witch whose hut was vast and richly appointed as a palace, all contained inside of a humble thatched roof hut that walked around on two giant's chicken's legs. Although, the interior of this hut isn't palatial, nor richly furnished and it's two thick cabers for stilts are certainly not giant chicken's legs, but still . . .

nikolokolus

Arcane
"A witch's abode, or something close to it."

nikolokolus Was the witch a bad or a good omen in the Kurgan tale?
Fricking Baba Yaga no doubt. :imperialscum:

P. S. If it's a Kurgan tale, would you please roll for me Niko?
Borric's World Lore roll [1d100] = 47 vs. 22

At Urash's mentioning of "witch's abode" all of the hairs on Borric's neck stand on end. This sounds eerily familiar to the tale of Baba Yaga, a hag that was said to live in an animated hut that was much larger on the inside than the outside. These were just campfire stories passed around to frighten children into behaving. Try as you might you can't recall any of the particulars of those stories, except that there was something about those them that terrified and and awed you.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
"A witch's abode, or something close to it."

nikolokolus Was the witch a bad or a good omen in the Kurgan tale?
The stories you heard were ambiguous. In one she helped a stranded young woman who bacame lost in a blizzard on the steppe, and in another she was a devouring demoniac force that cursed a whole tribe.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr waves and calls to the group near the hut: "Oi! Quit gawking! If there's no welcome, lets be moving on!"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán wakes up from a standing nap. "Should we just check on them? They're taking an awfully long time."

L'ennui

Magister
"I'm no climber, and I am wary... Perhaps we should leave this place and count our blessings."

Urash turns to rejoin the others and waits to see if Borric and Mab are also going.

nikolokolus

Arcane
For the sake of moving things along, I'm going to say that Borric goes along with the group consensus
Urash, Borric and Mab decide that discretion is the better part of valor and turn from the hut and trudge the half-mile across the boggy ground back to their companions and the waiting horses. With few obvious options left, the group turns their attention southward and the hillock where they can just make out the outline of a palisade against the pale, hazy sky some handful of miles away. The narrow, overgrown tracks continues its winds and bends around the numerous pools of stagnant water for a couple of miles, temporarily leading back through a copse of the preternaturally dead trees that you spent the previous night huddled under. Once again the sense of dread and stillness falls over you, but luckily the trail emerges from the stand a mere quarter of a mile farther on, and you don't feel any worse for wear.

Free of the blocking trees, and now much closer to the hillock, you can now clearly see thin wisps of smoke curling skyward from behind a wooden wall of upright cabers about a mile or so away. the stagnant water of the vast swamp to your east (left) is becoming more open and the water looks a little bit fresher and wholesome and after another half-mile of walking you find out why, you push through some tall grass and reeds and come to gentle rise, when you get to the top you discover that you are at the edge of a heretofore unseen river running west to east. It's at least a half-mile wide and looks to be swollen with spring rains and glacial melt-water. Just across the river lays the hillfort. The banks of the river drop down about 4 feet to the water and it's difficult to ascertain the depth of the swift moving, silty water. Nearby are some willows and poplars leaning over the water and bits of debris and fallen trees sweep past as you stand here and look around.

L'ennui

Magister
"Ah! At last, a welcome sight. According to Brule's map, I believe there should be a bridge somewhere near..."

I don't suppose that bridge is already visible to us?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Ah! At last, a welcome sight. According to Brule's map, I believe there should be a bridge somewhere near..."

I don't suppose that bridge is already visible to us?
Urash strains his eyes up and down the river, a couple of miles to the west reveals an arch stretched over the river's surface between two elevated points. The party nudges their horses in that direction and after about 20 minutes of brisk trotting, you come to the base of an elevated causeway about 20 feet higher then the surrounding floodplain, you each dismount and scramble up the sharp slope, leading your remaining horses and come out on top where a heavily decayed road of broken cobbles stretches northward into the blackened forest and south onto a very weathered looking stone bridge that arches across the 1/4 mile width of the rushing river. Each of you look at the bridge and marvel at how something could cross so vast a distance without piers or pillars to support it -- a feat of engineering and architecture that seems well beyond the capabilities of the local Picts, and would be a small wonder even in the cosmopolitan cities of mighty Kor, or Commorium.

nikolokolus

Arcane
When Rhenmyr gets about 50 yards away from the midpoint of the bridge, he notices an "irregularity" on the deck. You take another 20 or 30 steps and look down to see an engraved symbol covering the width of the bridge. It is a circle circumscribed around a triangle with intricately carved runic symbols

J8qZsgq.png

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab puckers his lips, "Looks like some sort of loose magery. I've heard tales of wizards who could use circles with runes like these to deconstruct and reconstruct something, but those were mostly just tales for children around the campfire and probably has nothing to do with this."
Can Mab make a alchemy check?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No idea. I don't watch anime.
:salute:

"I really don't want to tarry overlong here. Let's make all haste to track the Spear-Slayer's kin, perhaps we can explore these strange things after."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom