Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My point is that if you want to exploit features of the game to make it easier for you, it's your fucking problem bro. Noone stops you from fleeing and noone stops you to save-scumming all the time if you want to do that. Don't blame the game that has mechanics that are potentially exploitable or we will end up with :littlemissfun:

*Saving and loading can be used normally as you describe OR it can be exploited so that you get the optimal results. That will make the game easier in the end. If you don't want that then just don't do it.

Waterd

Augur
Ok, one thing is exploiting features of the software of the game and another completely different is exploiting RULES of the game. It's not the same in CHESS taking advantage of the power of the queen to maximize my chance of winning, that taking advantage of the fact my opponent was distracted to remove his queen from the table with my hand. That is a huge difference.
Fleeing is PART OF THE GAME RULES.

Saving and scumming is not a GAME RULE MECHANIC, is a property of the software, why removing saving game state you are not changing a GAME RULE, you are changing the software.
Sure Nobody stops me from hacking hte game and give my characters MAx stats. But here is the problem.
A game, is defined by it's rules, and if I hack the system to change the rule of the game, I'm playing a game different than the game that was designed.

I want to play the DESIGNED game.
I can't just arbitrarly decide what is part of the designed game rules and which is not. Sure stunning enemies makes the game easier, should i not stun enemies?, Charming enemies makes the game easier should i not charm enemies?.
It's the Designers job to create an experience for the one playing the game that is fun. How do i know what is that experience? what is what im supposed to experience? Is fleeing part of the experience? is stunning enemies part of the experience? You may answer yes, SOMETIMES it is. Ok how often? at what point is stunning part of the experinece and at what point im exploiting the game? The game should have indicators on when that is.

If you say a game like magic the gathering for example, having 3 lighting bolts in your deck is good, having 4 lighting bolts is better, having 5 lighting bolts is even better, but the game rules state that having 5 lightining bolts is illegal, so you don't use 5 lighting bolts unless you want to go beyond the rules of the game. But as long as you have 4 lightining bolts is fair game.

If you play Duelyst ( a game ive been playing a lot recently) you realize how powerfull Replacing cards. But the system limits you to JUST one REPLACE PER TURN. So you have to manage that resource. If you could hack it to have 2 replaces per turn, then you are breaking the game, the game state clearly the experience is designed for one replace per turn.

Now compare that to fleeing, is that an option? Yes it is, it's part of the clearly designed game rules. Fleeing once is good, 2 is better, 3 even better, and so on and so forth, there is no limit. The game doesn't determine or signal how much you should flee, how the experience was designed, was designed for 1 flee per 5 minutes? 1 flee per batttle? 1 flee per 10 battles? as far as i know, given the rules of the game, fleeing is infinite, so I have to guess the game is designed for infinite fleeing in mind. And if it wasn't why it's not specified?
Why in MTG is clearly established what the design is (no more than 4 lighting bolts) but here, it's not specififed? Should I specify myself? Should i become a game designer now? I'm not a game designer, it shouldn't be my job to design the experience and the limitations of my actions, because I have no basis for it. What is the max amount of fleeing per battle that creates the best experience? I don't know, I dont know how to know, and I shouldn't have to know, I'm not a game designer, i'm the player. As a player I should use the tools given in the game to achieve my goals, and having fun in the process, not trying to design the game, that is the job of the game designer.

Waterd

Augur
ANd if you want to compare to SAVE and LOAD, I assume as it's original intended to be a feature to improve quality of life, as it's A pause button in a game, is because people have more things to do than playing games, yes I assume the moment you Only reload to "solve" a mistake you did through playing, you are cheating the game rules.
You can SAve and reload in AGe of mythology games, but if after you lost a battle you quit and reload a previous state, no opponent is gonna say "oh, the powerfull and classic save and reload, good move jhonny!", no , you are going to be accused of cheating.

Efe

Erudite
another angle
some fights are outright unfair without previous knowledge of teh game, making ironman runs impossible without a flee function or a walkthrough. I don't know what's fun of "oh you want to do this? ok, you are dead, game over"

Waterd

Augur
You may need to have a Flee function because of that, and make it somewhat balanced., or you may not have fights that are outright unfair.
You are just pointing out a problem and saying that there is this feature to solve this problem. Well clearly the game designed was poorly so and it introduced more problems.
What about not designing Outright unfair fights, or a flee mechanism that have a limited amount of uses in some way. I don't know what the solution is because, again i'm not the game designer. But I know there are other games that do not have this problem so it's possible, as a player, I do expect it.

I don't know when I play heroes of might and magic, I can flee, but It has a serious cost (lots of gold or losing lots of resources), you can see fights comming, because you scout, however scouting has a price and cost (price that can be used by enemy forces to grow an even stronger army)

Just to throw some ideas. But again, I'm not a game designer, I just play games that do have problems like this and other games that do not, so i'm not asking for the impossible, i'm asking for something some games deliver.

Waterd

Augur
First, define "abuse" How can i know whem im abusing something? If im stunning once per battle is ok? what about twice? three times? four? WHEN ITS ABUSE? when the game informs me if it's abuse?

Second. There are a lot of games I play where I try to abuse every game mechanic there is, and they are still challenging, because the designer thought about it, because it defined the rules and make it clear what the rules are. I've been playing a game called AURO, which is a kidn of rougelike, try to abuse everything you want, the game still challenging, or Desktop dungeons or Imbroglio. Wnat more complex games? Battle for wesnoth, Heroes of might and magic series, King Bounty.
That is because the game designers everything they ALLOW you to do, is part of their design and you are encouraged to do with the tools given ALL YOU CAN to achieve your goal.
That is proper game design, I play, designers should design.

Last edited:

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
Saving and scumming is not a GAME RULE MECHANIC, is a property of the software, why removing saving game state you are not changing a GAME RULE, you are changing the software.
:lol: Saving/ loading is now property of the software? What about ironman game modes or auto-save system at checkpoints? Just because you're allowed to save/ load freely in most games doesn't mean it's not a design choice. You're talking 'changing the software' like you're editing some underlying shit or modding the game.

Waterd

Augur
No I gave a perfect example, Pausing the game, I'm talking like if its PAUSING THE GAME. Autosave systems are great, so you don't have to be saving the game all the time in fear the game crashed.

Ironman modes exist for a simple reason, that a lot of people admit, they feel that if the they can easily save and reload, they will do, so ironman is a way to actually not succumb to the temptation ot cheat. I do ironman runs in games all the time (That is in fact the only way i play games) but I never use the ironman feature, because i don't need it, and ive had terrible experiences using it (In temple of elemental evil and Knights of the chalice, your save files go corrupt, or worse, in knights of the chalice if your game crashes, which sometimes do, you lose your ironman autosave.)

Again, I gave a gret example in Age of mythology that allos aplies to say warcraft, you can save and reload in those games too, play against someone, and reload after a fight went wrong for you, and find out how your opponent takes it.

hilfazer

Scholar
First, define "abuse" How can i know whem im abusing something? If im stunning once per battle is ok? what about twice? three times? four? WHEN ITS ABUSE? when the game informs me if it's abuse?
When it gets too easy.
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I never even fled once. Never even tried it. L2p.

But I guess you reloaded. Retard.
Maybe, but only a few times in the whole game. And I never fled, that's the important thing. Also I never used any of those things you said are op. And I never stole anything.

How is that important, and how is not stealing and not fleeing, two things that are encouraged by the game, a better playstyle than doing it? A player who is close to defeat and runs away to fight another day is beating the game with its own tools.

I wouldn't say anything if this was an ARPG/ Diablo clone, where ever running away means you're losing time farming XP and items, but not in a turn based RPG.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
How can you fully voice over this game and at the same time leave in this ugly as shit portraits?

Also their solution to "there is too much fire and shit on the battlefield to make melee viable" is to let melees sling even more shit on the battlefield and remove a viable high risk high reward stealth tactic from rogues and make them into bad mages that use consumables instead of cool downs

Who ever made this EE can not into game design at all apparently.

They weren't trying to make the game better and fix its flaws like with what happened with the WL2 DC. They were trying to make it more console. That means console mentality fixes such as giving priority to the superficial and it doesn't matter if something sucks as long as it looks good. They wasted all the profit they made on this game making it a more console game instead of making it a better rpg. And then just had a kickstarter for 2 like I'm going to give a company my money when they took my money and wasted it on consoles before.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How is that important, and how is not stealing and not fleeing, two things that are encouraged by the game, a better playstyle than doing it? A player who is close to defeat and runs away to fight another day is beating the game with its own tools.

I wouldn't say anything if this was an ARPG/ Diablo clone, where ever running away means you're losing time farming XP and items, but not in a turn based RPG.
It maybe needs more balance but you have to be pretty spazzy to need to regularly flee from battles. But mainly the point I'm getting at is that if you don't want to come across op stuff, don't go looking for ways to exploit stuff. Just play it straight. Also you complain a whole lot about a good game and don't give any credit to all the good stuff. You are really doing something wrong.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It maybe needs more balance but you have to be pretty spazzy to need to regularly flee from battles. But mainly the point I'm getting at is that if you don't want to come across op stuff, don't go looking for ways to exploit stuff. Just play it straight. Also you complain a whole lot about a good game and don't give any credit to all the good stuff. You are really doing something wrong.

muh good game, gib love

I guess people are just talking about what the game is all about, solving its tactical battles. It's not like there are plenty of other things to talk about with D:OS.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There are the tactical battles and not much else. But for people who don't like all the lame stories games have these days, a game that focuses on good tactical battles is a good thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am all for a game with a very simplistic story, but focusing on good combat and a variety of encounters (preferably with giant monsters). What we generally have now is shit story and shit combat. Yay.

Waterd

Augur
And I never stole anything.
How did you solve the first importatn quest of the game?, as far as I know it's impossible to solve it withotu stealing the key and evenif you breakdown the door (Which is still a crime , mind you, as well as traspassing) You needt o steal the book and the dagger. I've tried to found another solution, As far as I know, And as far as I'm told there isn't. So enlighten me.

Right Now I'm playing battle brothers, I try to abuse everything I can , I still lose, the game is really hard and after like 20 hours of gameplay I can't find anything that makes the game too easy.
Fleeing is actually relatively easy in Battle brothers, however is A) impossible to do hit and run as far as I know (I tried, but shotting consumes too much ap, and they will catch to you) B) If you flee , fine what you are gonna do? that consumed, time, food, and you still need money to pay your troops. Fleeing has a cost, Even a mood cost, keep retreating and your troop may even leave you.

Wow it seems it's possible to design a challenging game, where I don't have to be controlling myself and thinking "oh maybe this makes the game too easy" So what do you know, proper game designers still exist. Just not the ones that designed this game.

cruel

Cipher
Does it make sense to continue playing this after level 12? Just freed the white which, the game became pretty boring and repetive, even combat doesn't look that fun any more. Story boring as well, not sure if I should invest another 20 hours?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Does it make sense to continue playing this after level 12? Just freed the white which, the game became pretty boring and repetive, even combat doesn't look that fun any more. Story boring as well, not sure if I should invest another 20 hours?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
No, it never changes. I enjoyed it all the way to the end because I liked mindlessly blowing shit up, but even then it was still repetitive and my interest waned. Lets hope the sequel does a better job.

p.s. There were a few good memorable boss fights btw, but not really enough to make it worthwhile if you are already bored.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My wife and I finished this (Enhanced Edition in Tactician Mode) yesterday in couch co-op (my wife has earlier played the non-EE version to completion on her own), which is the way I would recommend playing this game, as I got bored wiith it pretty fast when playing solo (same thing with Dungeon Siege 3, which had a much better, and better-written plot, BTW). I really enjoyed some aspects, namely combat, exploration and puzzle solving, but the story really was not up to par.

Luckily, I did not have to pay much attention to the story since my wife already knew where to go and what to do (most of the time) and I could focus on the combat and other enjoyable stuff. At times I felt a little bit like Son Goku in Dragon Ball Z - focused on finding and winning the next fight, but not really knowing what is going on and why exactly we are fighting.

Tactician mode was a reasonable challenge but still got pretty easy later in the game (although the final boss did kick our asses a couple of time before we managed to defeat him/her/it). We ended the game at level 21 (22 if you count XP gained in the final encounter).

Overall, I liked the game much more in co-op than solo, but I really appreciate that Larian is trying to improve the story layer for the second game, as it is clearly the weakest part. But even if they did not improve that, I would still be looking forward to DOS 2, since the good parts of the first game outweigh the bad ones by far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom