Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Which of the top 20 RPGs have you played?

Which of these games from the top 20 of the top 70 RPGs in the history of the universe have you play

• Planescape: Torment

Votes: 275 89.6%
  • Fallout: A Nuclear Roleplaying Game

Votes: 268 87.3%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 266 86.6%
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Votes: 261 85.0%
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura

Votes: 251 81.8%
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Votes: 231 75.2%
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Votes: 252 82.1%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 244 79.5%
  • Gothic II

Votes: 170 55.4%
  • Wizardry 8

Votes: 145 47.2%
  • Deus Ex

Votes: 229 74.6%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 180 58.6%
  • Jagged Alliance 2

Votes: 175 57.0%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 164 53.4%
  • Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

Votes: 109 35.5%
  • Betrayal at Krondor

Votes: 123 40.1%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 272 88.6%
  • Darklands

Votes: 108 35.2%
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

Votes: 206 67.1%
  • Ultima Underworld

Votes: 116 37.8%

• Total voters

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The Codex has a top 70 list of RPGs, but how many of us have actually played these classics? Or at least the 20 best ones since I don't thing anyone really wants a 70 choice poll.

Secret poll, so no danger of losing Kodex Kool Kredits by admitting you have never played Planescape.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Poll saturation?

I was wondering how people would try and fuck-up the attempted new grand vote test, but I must admit I wasn't expecting poll saturation.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The Codex has a top 70 list of RPGs, but how many of us have actually played these classics? Or at least the 20 best ones since I don't thing anyone really wants a 70 choice poll.
More to the point, how many of them are truly classics? Of the top 20 RPGs in the Codex list, only 4 are earlier than 1997 (all near the bottom of the top 20) and none are earlier than 1992. A list voted on by too many newbies with little to no appreciation for the Golden Age of CRPGs isn't much of a list. :M

Lhynn

Arcane
Played 19, finished 16.
I want to play darklands, i really do, its just the lack of tits that puts me off.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played 13, beat 10.

I plan to play all of them, but that is an "all in good time" lifelong goal of a hobbyist. I won't stop playing inclined indie games like Serpent in Staglands and Age of Decadence so I can play Ultima Underworld sooner.

For posterity:

Beat:

Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1-2
Fallout: New Vegas
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura
Baldur's Gate 1-2
Kotor 2
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Played:

Dark Souls
Deus Ex
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Also worth noting I've poked my head in on all of those games except Gothic II (which is the only one listed I've never owned or installed), but never for more than an afternoon, so I wouldn't describe myself as having really "played them" in contrast to the time I've sunk into Dark Souls, Deus Ex, and Morrowind.

I hope to beat Darklands this year and break the 1995 barrier where I can't bring myself to complete a PC RPG made before 1995.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And Darklands, UU and Wiz7 have the least ammount of votes...

Those games aren't immediately exciting and require a high investment of attention in an information-saturated era where where life is constantly demanding your attention.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Played 17 and completed 12. Didn't play BaK or Wiz7/8.

I keep meaning to replay wiz 6 then move onto the next 2. To be fair I've been planning that for like 15 years so i don't like my chances.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All but Darklands, Dark Souls, and Gothic 2 here. Finished everything I played except for Arcanum (hated the UI), Morrowind and New Vegas (open world games tend to lose me after a bit)

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Played 15 of them (actually tried 17 but the ones i just "played" 1~3 hours i don't include). Finished a few.

Played 12, finished 10, plan to play 1 (Arcanum).
Never gonna play Darklands, Krondor, UU, Wizardry, sorry. Before my time.
What "time" has to do with it ? I only played Wizardry and Darklands in the 2000s. By that time those games were already 10+ years old and technically dated as fuck in every way imaginable.
Anyway - Your loss.

pippin

This is the best time to have a shit computer actually. You get to play the best games.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Beat:

- Planescape: Torment
- Fallout

Pretty much beat:

- Morrowind (never did the expansions)
- Fallout: New Vegas (never beat the game, always uninstalled before doing the last quest, haven't played Dead Money and Old World Blues)

Have played, in order of "most played" to "less played":

- Dark Souls: ragequitted in Sen's Fortress.
- Deus Ex: had too many playthroughs going on at the moment, so I uninstalled Deus Ex in favor of finishing Gothic, PS:T and Wasteland 2. Made it to Hong Kong.
- Arcanum: gave up on it after a while, will replay it in the future. It was past a cave of dwarfs... or something, with red golems.
- Gothic II: performance reasons meant I stopped playing the game until I could enjoy it in its full glory.

Worth mentioning is that I liked all of them, despite anger management issues with Dark Souls, and Arcanums less-than-stellar lack of balance when it came to my build.

I love how much incline this poll is, btw. Every other "best ever RPGs" lists suck so much balls.

Beat:

- Planescape: Torment
- Fallout

Pretty much beat:

- Morrowind (never did the expansions)
- Fallout: New Vegas (never beat the game, always uninstalled before doing the last quest, haven't played Dead Money and Old World Blues)

Have played, in order of "most played" to "less played":

- Dark Souls: ragequitted in Sen's Fortress.
- Deus Ex: had too many playthroughs going on at the moment, so I uninstalled Deus Ex in favor of finishing Gothic, PS:T and Wasteland 2. Made it to Hong Kong.
- Arcanum: gave up on it after a while, will replay it in the future. It was past a cave of dwarfs... or something, with red golems.
- Gothic II: performance reasons meant I stopped playing the game until I could enjoy it in its full glory.

Worth mentioning is that I liked all of them, despite anger management issues with Dark Souls, and Arcanums less-than-stellar lack of balance when it came to my build.

I love how much incline this poll is, btw. Every other "best ever RPGs" lists suck so much balls.

You outright beat Morrowind. If you finish the main quest then you beat the game. Expansions either don't count (beyond honorable citations) or constitute separate games in their own right.

It's stupid in the context of open world series when the main quest is mostly peripheral to the actual game experience, but that's how it is.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
18 of those I've started and played some somewhere in time. How ever much that might be for some of those, I can't recall for certain, so for the poll I think I can only vote for 11.

laclongquan

Arcane
13/20
* Planescape: Torment
* Fallout: A Nuclear Roleplaying Game
* Fallout 2
* Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura
* Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
* Fallout: New Vegas
* Deus Ex
* Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
* Jagged Alliance 2
* Baldur's Gate
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

Finished 10/20. The 3 was played with lots of hours, but not finished per se.
The 7/20 is either not install, or play not beyond 1 hour.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I played all of them but I still feel empty. Why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom