Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BilboBaggins

Educated
I'm guessing they already had the thought process and mechanics worked out for the stretch goals beforehand in order to accurately plan out the time and money for the FIG campaign. Now it's just a matter of grinding away at it.

Sizzle

Arcane
I'm guessing they already had the thought process and mechanics worked out for the stretch goals beforehand in order to accurately plan out the time and money for the FIG campaign. Now it's just a matter of grinding away at it.

Which is why I'm hoping this will - both mechanically and narratively - turn out stronger than PoE1, where they were making up stretchgoals as they went along :D

Quillon

Arcane
I'm guessing they already had the thought process and mechanics worked out for the stretch goals beforehand

I agree on AI customization since they were already using it on NPCs but crew system was one of the last SGs & when asked they weren't really clear about it except they said Bobby Null was gonna make it & crew would consist of unique NPCs. I don't think they looked at a $4.5M mark SG as given and put too much thought on it before hand.

Hide helmet & cloak - check :P

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
yeah, but Feargus said we will be able to uncheck now. Though perhaps I will leave it hidden for old times' sake.

Meh.

It's nice to have so the AI drinks potions and applies buffs automatically, but that's it. Everything else in these games is either situational or the AI gets stuck on some retarded loop and doesn't execute the script orders properly, and I end up turning it off.
Generally, it depends. May be interesting to play a game where you obtain some intel ahead or simply familiarize with enemies, and then can make a script and see what your own AI manages, moreover if there is really some robust scripting api exposed (players then can exchange scripts and so forth). But yeah, I don't kid myself thinking they will be willing to spent resources needed to pull that level of complexity and support.

Still don't forget the auto-pause can be an action too. Being able more freely, and above that individually, preset conditions for when the game pauses is the only one I'm really hoping for. The PoE1 settings weren't helpful for taming the chaos. People also gravitate to different playstyles.

Quillon

Arcane
So "zeal cost" is a thing now, like Cypher's focus. Wonder if every class have their own resources now; I know they are named like barbarian's rage, rogue's guile, fighter's discipline etc but will the barb build up rage points to activate shit?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm guessing they already had the thought process and mechanics worked out for the stretch goals beforehand

I agree on AI customization since they were already using it on NPCs but crew system was one of the last SGs & when asked they weren't really clear about it except they said Bobby Null was gonna make it & crew would consist of unique NPCs. I don't think they looked at a $4.5M mark SG as given and put too much thought on it before hand.

Nothing in Sawyer's tweet suggests that the crew system has actually been implemented yet, does it? (Unlike the AI, which has UI screens). It's quite possible he's reacting to the brainstorming and design session they've since completed. :)

Prime Junta

I think they meant the two sections below, which seem to showcase how it interacts with specific traits and/or abilities.

No those are upgrades to the ability. Pick the Wrath of the Five Suns upgrade, and you'll shoot fireballs when using Sworn Enemy. Pick Sworn Rival, and Something Happens when the Sworn Enemy goes down. Doesn't look all that confusing to me. (A bit anime though.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/860283110100840449

What's a Pire?

So "zeal cost" is a thing now, like Cypher's focus. Wonder if every class have their own resources now; I know they are named like barbarian's rage, rogue's guile, fighter's discipline etc but will the barb build up rage points to activate shit?

If Zeal is the same thing as the Paladin's Power Source, it may not be something you need to "build up" but rather a kind of mana pool for abilities you get for every encounter (recharged each time). The negative numbers on the ability icons appear to be each ability's Zeal cost.

Gotta say that if all class abilities use a resource now it's going to be a pretty significant departure from Infinity Engine/AD&D norms (although in a different sense, possibly closer to IE gameplay in practice since you can't spam active abilities as much)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Need a shill emoji... wonder how should it look like? a tiny version of Infinitron's avatar?

Wasn't that a stretch goal? They're working fast.

30g5jRq.png
Shill x 1

Make it happen.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
I think they meant the two sections below, which seem to showcase how it interacts with specific traits and/or abilities.

No those are upgrades to the ability. Pick the Wrath of the Five Suns upgrade, and you'll shoot fireballs when using Sworn Enemy. Pick Sworn Rival, and Something Happens when the Sworn Enemy goes down. Doesn't look all that confusing to me. (A bit anime though.)

My confusion is due to the specific text. The ability is already called Wrath of the Five Suns... so why is there an upgrade called the same thing? And why is there a second upgrade (Sworn Rival) that doesn't appear to have anything to do with the base Wrath of the Five Suns ability but instead modifies Sworn Enemy? Why would that show on the same tooltip?

Not trying to be purposefully obtuse here, but that's why I'm confused.

Edit: Or is this a case where the actual ability is called Sworn Enemy, but they've upgraded it twice, and one of those upgrades changed the name?

In other news, I'm not wild about the idea of every class now having a resource. Seems like another Sawyer-esque attempt at balancing, and that didn't work out all that great in POE 1. Also could be a cluster when it comes to multi-classing.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
My confusion is due to the specific text. The ability is already called Wrath of the Five Suns... so why is there an upgrade called the same thing? And why is there a second upgrade (Sworn Rival) that doesn't appear to have anything to do with the base Wrath of the Five Suns ability but instead modifies Sworn Enemy? Why would that show on the same tooltip?

Not trying to be purposefully obtuse here, but that's why I'm confused.

Edit: Or is this a case where the actual ability is called Sworn Enemy, but they've upgraded it twice, and one of those upgrades changed the name?

Your edit is correct, yes. Sworn Enemy is the base ability. Wrath of the Five Suns is specific to Pallegina, and then added to the ability. Sworn Rival is an upgraded form of Sworn Enemy. Thus, 2 modifications.

santino27

Arcane
Patron

Looks like I was wrong, and the initial ship crew stuff was implemented this week, rather than just being complete from a design perspective. Hopefully, we'll see details soon.

RepHope

Savant
I'm excited. Pillars was a rough first start but I'm hopeful that they have learned from their mistakes and will manage to improve. They're doing well so far by giving us a "stronghold" that actually makes sense to come back to in the form of a ship, a setting that is way less generic and boring, and a story that will hopefully allow for more meaningful choices and effects on companions. Only Durance and Edér really seemed to be relevant to the gods reveal in part 1.

Not sure about the tease about more "secrets of the gods" considering they already blew their load with the reveal about them being mortal made.

Looks like I was wrong, and the initial ship crew stuff was implemented this week, rather than just being complete from a design perspective. Hopefully, we'll see details soon.

Fuck I hope so. The ship seems to be essential to the whole game so I hope they nail it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I still can't get over the fact that he as a tumblr account, but not a Codex one. Triggered. Anyway, the resource system kinda sounds MMO-y. I suppose I get his intention, i.e. people not spamming high level and powerful abilities. We'll see how it turns out. I hope they can make Monk not as stupid as in 1 now that he mentioned them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom