Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Painkiller... "series"?

You can play around with some weapons' "third shooting mode", for example you can impale the grenade with a stake, or when you LPM while PPM Shiruken you set off an electric bomb.

Also get a golden tarot that increases damage (Rage or Fury, I think) and assplosionz of dozens of trash mobs with rockets :incline:

I'd say go for it, the 1st chapter has cool environments but the player is still kind of weak. The ball gets rolling with levels like Abandoned Factory.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is also some mods like Painkiller Reload which combine original Painkiller and Overdose (but don't require Overdose to install) and got some Necrovision which I liked (you can kick mobs here and got rifles like KAR98k).

So - play Necrovision instead of other Painkillers than original+addon.

Redemption could be decent if the respawn ratio wasn't idiotic made by morons. Even morons who can't stand numbers and need Windows Calculator to any operation could made it better.
Seriously - when enemies respawn near chasm then half of the group are out.

Hell&Damnation is decent if you're potato who got it for $5,5 when it was released in CDA (those who give King of Dragon Pass 1/10).

The ball gets rolling with levels like Abandoned Factory.
And City on Water. Music is good. Can't understand one of my bro who replaed it with Nightwish "Wish I had an angel" song. What a wuss.

Zenith

Arbiter
:necro:

Potato help needed!
So, Painkiller doesn't enjoy the best of reputations on the Codex, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
In short, I think I remember how way before the original game was released, the devs described the game differently, like you were supposed to be a mercenary undead hunter, and you'd need to buy weapons and ammo in advance, so there wasn't going to be "unrealistic" ammo crates lying around on the actual levels. That last bit I remember to be a quote, like it was from an interview or something. So essentially it was going to be a mission-based Undying with a Thief-style shop.
Now, this was a while back, so I'm not actually sure it was about Painkiller at all. Tried googling, but I don't even know how to word a query. Does anyone, esp. Polish 'dexers remember anything like this?

Also, is it me or does this still have the best metal soundtrack in a video game? I mean, after MIDI era there's Quake 2, this and... nothing? What the hell? I think Wolf4/Doom4 are supposed to have some, but I've finished Wolf and don't think I payed any attention to the music while playing.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Also, is it me or does this still have the best metal soundtrack in a video game? I mean, after MIDI era there's Quake 2, this and... nothing? What the hell? I think Wolf4/Doom4 are supposed to have some, but I've finished Wolf and don't think I payed any attention to the music while playing.
Metal stopped being relevant like 20 years ago.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you want to play any Painkiller beside original+BooH you better find PK Supernatural 2.0 which contain maps from addons but get reworked so they are not utter trash boring slog fest.

Zenith
That's how they made games years back, concepts upon concepts with lot of weird stuff.
Nowadays final concepts hardly drive off from initial one...
Mercenary? Buying guns before mission? FFS still not forget&forgive Techland dropping Warhound :argh:
And then they made Hellblade? that went into limbo. Fuck them x2

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Painkiller is great. Every so often I still boot it up, put on a custom playlist in the background, and get to murdering some motherfuckers.

I somewhat disagree. Painkiller starts middling, then it becomes great, then it..... dies. Even the baseline game last levels feel tired. The expansion itself is a disaster of bad level design, bad enemy design, bad weapon design from the first level itself (the Orphanage).

I don't know, but we have two options: or the devs themselves tired of their game after a while (because up to a point it's a great shooter and afterwards your common slav shovelware worthy of being compared to Hellforces or Stalin's Subway) or they got some different people to design both the last levels and the expansion. Because Painkiller blows its load early and never "recovers" it.

And this reminds me that I still have to play Necrovision.

Zenith

Arbiter
Metal stopped being relevant like 20 years ago.
True, but then again, so did RPGs :smug:
Fuck.:negative:
I don't know, but we have two options: or the devs themselves tired of their game after a while (because up to a point it's a great shooter and afterwards your common slav shovelware worthy of being compared to Hellforces or Stalin's Subway) or they got some different people to design both the last levels and the expansion.
I always kind of assumed BooH was mostly levels that were cut from the original for being out of place or out of budget. Or out of hardware specs, what with two pirate levels that were clearly supposed to be one.
Wouldn't recommend. Melee vs firearms balance is completely out of whack, turns into FPS equivalent of Gothic3 "stunlock shit for 100 hours" real quick.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just don't overanalyze it. Painkiller is perfect brainless arena shooter. Pick it up when you're bored, kill some time, drop it the moment it start feeling monotonous... I never tried to play it as I would regular sinngleplayer shooter, nor did I ever try to analyze its individual elements in that context.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Necrovision is a mess. Combination of WWI guns (rifles) and some more melee than average FPS' titles have combined with supernatural stuff made something hard to stomach but I liked it.
Final challenge map where you have 5 minutes to survive this madness... too much rage for my taste.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Painkiller is perfect brainless arena shooter..
Oh please. Quake is a perfect arena shooter. Painkiller is not in this genre at all, it's just Crimsonland 3D. Walk in a room, get locked in as hundreds of trash mobs spawn in, shoot aimlessly until they're all dead. Wow, so much skill involved!

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Not only is Painkiller an incredibly fun and well done shooter, it also brought us this:

More games should feature generic metal music videos.

Painkiller is great. Every so often I still boot it up, put on a custom playlist in the background, and get to murdering some motherfuckers.

I somewhat disagree. Painkiller starts middling, then it becomes great, then it..... dies. Even the baseline game last levels feel tired. The expansion itself is a disaster of bad level design, bad enemy design, bad weapon design from the first level itself (the Orphanage).

I don't know, but we have two options: or the devs themselves tired of their game after a while (because up to a point it's a great shooter and afterwards your common slav shovelware worthy of being compared to Hellforces or Stalin's Subway) or they got some different people to design both the last levels and the expansion. Because Painkiller blows its load early and never "recovers" it.

Meh. I would say it more suffers from uneven level design (City on Water comes quite late in the campaign iirc, for example), but this never bothered me much as there is a level select. Levels like Ice Bridge, Opera House, and Train Station still are some of my favorite bullethell levels, but to each his own.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Painkiller is perfect brainless arena shooter..
Oh please. Quake is a perfect arena shooter. Painkiller is not in this genre at all, it's just Crimsonland 3D. Walk in a room, get locked in as hundreds of trash mobs spawn in, shoot aimlessly until they're all dead. Wow, so much skill involved!
SINGLEPLAYER arena shooter. Your are locked into "arena", fighting off set number of enemies. I am hardly the only one who refers to Painkiller and similar games in this manner.

And, skill is definitely necessary on higher difficulties. Quite a bit of it, at least in my own humble case.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Painkiller is a potato Serious Sam. It's... okay, but you know where the fun lies?

It lies in co-op Serious Sam. That's damn good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom