Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

bataille

Arcane
Cogmind has entered its beta stage, meaning that the game is finally content-complete. Only the minor things like audio ambient remain to be implemented.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=787.0

170509.png

Palikka

Arcane
If you guys are playing Cogmind beta 1.0, update to 1.1 ASAP.

Update 170511:

Okay, so it turns out there is/was a pretty major bug in Beta 1: Your shots aren't hitting very often! It did really feel somewhat off during my quick playtests, but I had gotten too busy in the days leading up to release to explore it more thoroughly in time for release day, so... hotfix time!

It just so happens I had already been working on a number of near-term fixes and tweaks for 1.1 release, so we can get all of this at once right now :D

You definitely want to switch over to this version! In Beta 1 you're at a serious disadvantage with your volleys, especially when firing many weapons at once, regardless of targeting/accuracy. In this version you'll feel like a god by comparison :P

getter77

Augur
No telling----there's always the ongoing madness of Yuif and Hellcrawl (or the Circus Animals fork if you really want to venture strange places) I reckon as they wrangle momentum.

getter77

Augur
MidBoss is finally out of Early Access on Steam and itch.io---and it is pretty damned awesome. https://midboss.net/ $14.99 It really does an excellent job exploring the possibilities of Possession mechanics in Roguelikes and in general. I kind of hope it makes enough waves given the polish and aesthetics also being there in full to kick off a great deal more up and coming devs to take their own stab at breathing some life into the lot of it.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Rezrog, roguelike with tabletop-esque visual, is just out now:

ss_42a42a92b6b60357c124a5cabe856b98cfcf03e2.600x338.jpg

https://af.gog.com/game/rezrog?as=1649904300

Features
Fire_gem_common_Bullet.png
Unique party mechanic: You have a party of brave heroes at your disposal, each with unique looks and strengths, but only one of them can go on an adventure at a time. If one hero falls prey to the enemy and gets captured, rescue him with another member!

Earth_gem_common.png
Tactical turn-based combat: Carefully plan your actions during the combat, conserve your resources and exploit enemy weaknesses.

Void_gem_regular_Bullet.png
No two dungeons are ever the same: Procedurally generated dungeons create a unique experience for each and every player with interesting dungeons, large variety of equipment items and events impacting dungeon exploration.

Gem_of_Power_bullet.png
Permadeath: Getting your whole party captured means the end of the journey for your daring party of heroes.

Physical_gem_common.png
Progress persistence: Leave your legacy to next generations of heroes, even after permadeath, by acquiring and forging precious gems which leave stat points for use in a new game.

Water_gem_common_bullet.png
Tabletop aesthetic: Mimics a paper board game style.

Air_gem_common_bullet.png
Adventurers to heroes: Share all gear and skills within your team and equip them to suit your playstyle, but do it evenly. If your strongest hero is captured, you face an uphill task.

Fire_gem_common_Bullet.png
Dungeon crawling: Prepare for unforeseen events as you face various dungeon challenges, avoiding traps and lethal encounters.

Earth_gem_common.png
Skill system: Skill discovery and upgrade system that allows acquiring and improving skills as you play.

Void_gem_regular_Bullet.png
Boss battles: Challenging boss battles to test your fighting spirit. One wrong move could spell defeat.

Gem_of_Power_bullet.png
Large world to explore: 100 dungeon levels, 10 different environments.

Physical_gem_common.png
7 character classes to play.

Water_gem_common_bullet.png
More than 60 skills that can be upgraded to become even more powerful.

Air_gem_common_bullet.png
More than 120 enemies to encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellbent

Augur
Nice, this is out on GOG now also. Pretty cheap price. Am curious too about how it plays. Even if it's casual, maybe it's good to play in short periods like Guild of Dungeoneering.

hackncrazy

Savant
What's the expectation for Cogmind? Will it be on the pantheon of greats with Nethack, DCSS, ADOM and Angband?

eXalted

Arcane
I am about to buy it. Been reading a lot about it. Seems great. But yeah, if someone could share his experience with it.

getter77

Augur
Best to let it stand on the merits it manages to garner for itself---different aims than the likes of the above older projects.

That said, once fully wrought, I expect it to be an exemplary standard bearer as to the range present in Roguelikes to spur things to an even higher standard in the future to follow.

getter77

Augur
Getting places in due course---should be pretty nice by the time it fully arrives after the lengthy, but productive, slog through early access.

Ensi

Educated
I wanna play a roguelike on my iphone. I've never played any roguelikes, I know FTL and shit doesn't really count. I did get Pathos but I'm wondering if there's something better I should try?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is Pixel Dungeon.

But honestly - just fuckin' download Brogue (Tile version) on your computer. Touch screens are terrible for RLs.
Another great introductory RL is DoomRL. (DRL now.)

getter77

Augur
Tangledeep pulled off a highly effective kickstarter, a prudent one at that, which combined with who all is involved gives me the utmost confidence in their ability to have a fine time of it in Early Access and wind up quite a potent release come the full launch---easily towards the top of the list for projects to anticipate cheerfully.

Varvarg

Educated
Rezrog, roguelike with tabletop-esque visual, is just out now:

ss_42a42a92b6b60357c124a5cabe856b98cfcf03e2.600x338.jpg

art style looks like something a 8 year old girl could make. I would say :decline: unless it packs som serious depth. The trailer tells me otherwise

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom