Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Don't disagree, and I'm still sceptical as to how this will turn out. But, the fact that THQ Nordic are the publisher now and how they've given PB more creative freedom, alongside a massive development extension, might mean this is will be the closest thing to Gothic in a while...

...but still, always keep your expectations low
What was the reason for them making risen 2?

harhar!

Augur
There will be some NPC's that cannot be killed, like very important plot related NPC's.

Why all the decline votes? The last time they made literally everyone killable was Gothic 3. And that didn't turn out very well in part, because the story was shit and basically non-existent. Making important NPCs killable is only good, if you program in some strong consequences that still make the story enjoyable. If you don't do that, then it just means that no NPC can actually be relevant for completing the game, which severely limits the story. Normal Quest-NPC should be killible though, which they are.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can decline me but last game I paid full price for was Darkest Dungeon... you see how well that turned out...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
New Vegas was turn based. What's the resemblance? Shitty animations?

Edit: lol, see below. I just couldn't imagine anyone not using the VATS system. It's been a few years :)

Last edited:

Siobhan

Arbiter
Making important NPCs killable is only good, if you program in some strong consequences that still make the story enjoyable. If you don't do that, then it just means that no NPC can actually be relevant for completing the game, which severely limits the story.
Two words: Arx Fatalis.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
New Vegas was turn based. What's the resemblance? Shitty animations?

New vegas turn based? what? It was an FPS..... yea the shooting animations look similar.
This is quite funny. I finished NV a few times, having spent more than a hundred hours on it. And somehow I completely forgot you could play it not using the V.A.T.S. system. I have no idea why anyone would want to do that. But yes, I agree, in such a case it would be quite similar to what Elex seems to offer ;)

ortucis

Prophet
Release the fucking game already, PB.

Haven't played any RPG for ages now. I'll settle for Gothic rip-off.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just remake Gothic 1 in Risen 1 engine and add the cut/missing content that never made it into the first version. The more complex/large scale PB gets the worse the finished product turns out to be. This trend started with Gothic 3.

Latelistener

Arcane
Morrowind has an interesting and unique art design, almost alien I'd say. Every other iteration of TES looked worse in this regard, while Piranha actually improved a lot in both, art and graphics.

And with mods, Morrowind looks simply astonishing.

Nluc.jpg

Oluc.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It was interesting in Morrowind when you entered ruins for the first time and expected old stuff, but it looked like high-tech

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Foolish are those who think ELEX will be more like gothic. They made decision when they developed Risen 2 like "modern game".
Risen 3 was a succes for them (which amazes and terryfies me at the same time), so they will keep it that way.
We would need a miracle, like a gothic fan billionare who would buy PB and fund another gothic. Otherwise... Don't even dream about playing gothic once more.
Or anything that looks similliar to it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Foolish are those who think ELEX will be more like gothic. They made decision when they developed Risen 2 like "modern game".
Risen 3 was a succes for them (which amazes and terryfies me at the same time), so they will keep it that way.
We would need a miracle, like a gothic fan billionare who would buy PB and fund another gothic. Otherwise... Don't even dream about playing gothic once more.
Or anything that looks similliar to it.
Who is left at PB to develop it tho?

They are in the same place as Bioware, they lost all their talent, and live off releasing games that try to appeal to nostalgic fans of their older work, but without any of the talent that made that work appealing in the first place.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
They are in the same place as Bioware, they lost all their talent
I can only agree that they have some talent when they made their first good rpgs. Since that time they literally didn't make a single game, only copied previous with decrease in quality.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Even a greatly diminished nu-PB with all their flaws still suit my taste more when it comes to designing an open world compared to the competition which is the main reason I'll give ELEX a shot (even though I'm not expecting much).

I dislike all that stuff that plagues modern open world games/RPGs like pointless filler activities copy-pasted over the entire world, MMO level based enemies and itemization, 2000 crafting ingredients/trash you constantly lug around, exclamation marks over questgivers etc. just not my cup of tea. PB worlds still feel more handcrafted to me, even in their worst games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom