Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
God bless them, at least they are trying

Also confirms my deep seated belief that people who complain about fantasy RPGs will do anything and everything in their power to rationalize not buying an RPG with different aesthetics and motifs.

adure

Liturgist
i still dont get the intro.
you are the burcher of xarbla send on a mission shot down by someone then executed by your own people.
:retarded:

Aenra

personally I still can't get into the "post-apoc with swords" concept but that's another issue

That's the one thing i'm bitching about too :)
It's so jarring, dinosaurs next to high tech robots and jetpacks for fuck's sake, mortals with swords attacking electronic units, i just... /wtf really.

You can however take this as a lesson cousin. Kids, they will bitch about graphics and animations. Normal people, they will bitch about things obviously.. wrong. Such as combat (again we agree), or a setting that makes zero fucking sense.
If we may add a second lesson, that would be again related to kids. Except this time as designers/developers, lol

They couldn't add something like a light beam/lazer thingy; they couldn't add a power-punch gizmo, or even proper augmentation mods.. the idiots. Keep the melee part for a more fleshed out combat experience, but make it thematically relevant, consistent. No dinos, no 15th century weaponry. Terribly complicated a thinking process however, we shouldn't ask so much from children.

As you've seen though, everything's O.K. Problem is the graphics + animations + cut scenes..... as always!
(when in fact i've tried explaining to them that when you take the route of publisher plus console plus KIDS, you are forced to do it so; whether you're up to it or not).
Codex be Codex cousin.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's so jarring, dinosaurs next to high tech robots and jetpacks for fuck's sake, mortals with swords attacking electronic units, i just... /wtf really.
Didn't bother anyone in Star Wars (and I'm not just talking about lightsabers).

Also, I too thought that Horizon Zero Dawn would be just too silly for me with fucking grazing robot dinosaurs (wtf?!).
But pretty much everyone who played it says that it is explained rather well in-game.

Of course, that's not saying it will be explained very well in this case. And at least from the images, it looks like a total clash. So you might be right after all ;)

Last edited:

Aenra

Didn't bother anyone in Star Wars (and I'm not just talking about lightsabers)

Well personally speaking, i think the whole Star Wars thing is just as moronic/childish, but that's just me. Loved the flicks as a kid, sure, but tried watching the old ones again recently and i didn't last 20 minutes in; too simplistic, too crude, too childish.

On topic though, there is incongruity there as well, as you mentioned. Difference being that Piranha doesn't have the millions of budget they did, ergo you do not use -the- example of examples to attempt and justify your own measly attempts at something (supposedly) similar.
Also, never confuse a movie with an RPG. Movie is a linear, pre-defined set of events in which you the viewer have zero saying or agency in. In an RPG, due ot its very nature, you are bound to have countless of "why can't i" "how come this isn't" moments.

That's where said incongruity kicks in; hard :)
So "good" example, but definitely out of context here.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Didn't bother anyone in Star Wars (and I'm not just talking about lightsabers)

Well personally speaking, i think the whole Star Wars thing is just as moronic/childish, but that's just me. Loved the flicks as a kid, sure, but tried watching the old ones again recently and i didn't last 20 minutes in; too simplistic, too crude, too childish.

On topic though, there is incongruity there as well, as you mentioned. Difference being that Piranha doesn't have the millions of budget they did, ergo you do not use -the- example of examples to attempt and justify your own measly attempts at something (supposedly) similar.
Also, never confuse a movie with an RPG. Movie is a linear, pre-defined set of events in which you the viewer have zero saying or agency in. In an RPG, due ot its very nature, you are bound to have countless of "why can't i" "how come this isn't" moments.

That's where said incongruity kicks in; hard :)
So "good" example, but definitely out of context here.

"shrug" To a sufficiently intelligent person, everything is simple, crude, and childish.

Last edited:

Aenra

"shrug" To a sufficiently intelligent person, everything is simple, crude, and childish.

Don't go that way.. it's really simple :)

Same Star Wars thingy right? As you know it. Except:

- The force isn't something you clench real hard to have come out of ya
- Tech has evolved (as is) immensely. Ergo the explanation for everything "science" related
- Said tech evolution has allowed mankind to artificially endow themselves with "mental" powers. Ergo the "force" Psionics.
- One side (the Daaaaark, mean guys, boo hoo hoo) uses psionics for all their bad, evil, meanie things including imperialism, pretty much.
- The other strives to survive in relative peace, democracy, other librul shit. Has not as much access to psionics.
- Instead of pure evil, pure angel, you have a bit of a doubt, a bit of gray, a bit of relativism. As is in reality, or will be in ANY reality involving thinking beings (verisimilar).

Need i go on?
Same shit, except served properly. So yeah, it was fucking childish. Which is why i'm thankful i was a little shit when i first watched them, as i wouldn't have managed to now.

And again, don't stray too far from the subject, this was about ELEX.
We're talking dinosaurs co-existing with robots, we're talking mortals fighting cyborgs with 15th century swords, lol

Don't go that way.. it's really simple :)

Same Star Wars thingy right? As you know it. Except:

- The force isn't something you clench real hard to have come out of ya
- Tech has evolved (as is) immensely. Ergo the explanation for everything "science" related
- Said tech evolution has allowed mankind to artificially endow themselves with "mental" powers. Ergo the "force" Psionics.
- One side (the Daaaaark, mean guys, boo hoo hoo) uses psionics for all their bad, evil, meanie things including imperialism, pretty much.
- The other strives to survive in relative peace, democracy, other librul shit. Has not as much access to psionics.
- Instead of pure evil, pure angel, you have a bit of a doubt, a bit of gray, a bit of relativism. As is in reality, or will be in ANY reality involving thinking beings (verisimilar).

Need i go on?
Same shit, except served properly. So yeah, it was fucking childish. Which is why i'm thankful i was a little shit when i first watched them, as i wouldn't have managed to now.

To elaborate further, life was better when you were a baby grasping out figuring how things worked for the first time. Babies stare at their hands in wonder as they discover wriggling their fingers for the first time, and there's something amazing about sensation and texture like watching ripples in a pond or watching a bird chirp and hop around on its webbed reptilian feet.

The real power of a phenomenal, visual medium like film making is less about telling complex stories (whatever that means) but rather about preserving that childlike wonder and sense of awe against the entropic influence of aging.

Aenra

Sometimes you remind me of MRY, except unlike him, i don't imagine me kicking your brains in :)

Phenomenal? Entropic influence of aging? Life was better when i was a child?
Dude, if someone kicked your ass in high school, oppressed you at work, too fucking bad. Life wasn't better as a kid for me, no. Fewer choices, less power to make my own way, less knowledge, less or minimal understanding. Too many rules, too many musts, too little of room to wiggle out of whatever was forced down on me/expected of a kid to do or behave like.

Life's better now and by an order of magniture, thank you very much. Choices and consequences, and the more you grow and evolve, the more you get to enjoy. Now again, before you go full MRY on me, let me re-quote me:
"Don't stray too far from the subject, this was about ELEX.
We're talking dinosaurs co-existing with robots, we're talking mortals fighting cyborgs with 15th century swords"

Sometimes you remind me of MRY, except unlike him, i don't imagine me kicking your brains in :)

Phenomenal? Entropic influence of aging? Life was better when i was a child?
Dude, if someone kicked your ass in school, too fucking bad. Life wasn't better as a kid for me, no. Fewer choices, less power to make my own way, less knowledge, less or minimal understanding. Too many rules, too many musts, too little of room to wiggle out of whatever was forced down on me/expected of a kid to do or behave like.

Life's better now and by an order of magniture, thank you very much. Choices and consequences, and the more you grow and evolve, the more you get to enjoy. Now again, before you go full MRY on me, let me re-quote me:
We're talking dinosaurs co-existing with robots, we're talking mortals fighting cyborgs with 15th century swords"

No one ever kicked my ass at school. My father was big on body building and made me lift weights early (around middle school, when bullying surfaces as big problem). Making your kids big is probably the best way to preempt bullying so that it never becomes an issue (although follow appropriate guidelines and literature).

All of that other stuff is "made in editing" version of your childhood that doesn't address or pertain to anything I said.

It also doesn't change fundamental facts. Tying your shoes seemed complex the first time you did it, but now you do it everyday without thinking.

"Complexity" and "simplicity" are nonsense concepts that go nowhere when you attack them with any philosophical rigor.

This is the comment that you make when you "take the high ground" and don't say all the other stuff about Star Wars. You don't make the argument that you want to make in tangent to the thread and then assert that your opponent has an obligation to not make further tangential argument.

Last edited:

Aenra

Morality Games
You accuse me of having taken the high ground? Read my replies and then read yours, lol, with entropy in aging, polymorphing of the human situation and postmodern stand on the teleological all the MRY 'i wanna show off' kind of talk.

I just stuck to the facts, in plain, non-dork kind of English:
- humans fighting robots with sticks, check
- dinos co-existing with cyborgs, check

And what did you do? Went all MRY on us. Then you went personal, if 'my' childhood was better or not, as if anyone else should give a fuck. Or as if that matters when we're talking about a video game ffs.. Then you went even more MRY, completely forgetting this is NOT literature, a film, or any kind of art and instead attempting to project YOUR fucking ideas about art into.. a game, lol
I even reminded you, but you went on. We don't give a fuck about your dad dude, this isn't the blogdex subforum, you go on and on detaching yourself further from the fucking point. Which.. is just what MRY does too.

What you've got going for you? You don't talk as much thank the Lord.

Back on topic, i don't mind the animations or the "bad" graphics. I do fear that the chosen setting/"lore" is one that defines what type of gamers will be playing this, ergo what type of game they're going for. Like, say, seeing shitty cartoony aesthetics on an MMO; again, you know exactly whom they're aiming for.
If you live in denial, let me answer it before you type it; no, the Piranha you think you know wouldn't have done that. I'm as such judging what i see on the merits of.. just what i see; i don't involve the company's past, it is irrelevant by now. Maybe that helps put things back in track, lol

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I laughed out loud in the preview above when he comes across what looks like an American porta-potty in the woods and climbs on top of it. "I am master of all I survey and shit on and shit in!" Stopped. Watching. There.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I remember, PB, I remember. The same thing happened with your release trailers of the last two Risen games. "They're just like Gothic!" you said. "We're going back to our roots!" you said. You even made it look real. Lies, damn lies, and PB previews.

Don't disagree, and I'm still sceptical as to how this will turn out. But, the fact that THQ Nordic are the publisher now and how they've given PB more creative freedom, alongside a massive development extension, might mean this is will be the closest thing to Gothic in a while...

...but still, always keep your expectations low :lol:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
One question remains not answered to me: are there going to be immortal (crucial, essential) NPCs?

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I just like to kill/beat everything that moves in Gothics' end game phase.

Kahr

I always think of Saturas, when i think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom