Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

sullynathan

Arcane
Muh bosses.
In the long run, once you've beat these games enough, you will care more about the level design, enemy placement, NG+ implementation and bosses.

Demons Souls is completely broken, world tendency/character tendency is glitched and does not work, combat is completely inferior to every souls game that came after it and levels are mostly misses. I do not assign praise for being the first souls game, instead I hope FROM one day remakes the game so that it is good and actually playable/fun in its entirety.

fuck you Ormagöden, praetor , and Karhu

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Demons Souls is completely broken, world tendency/character tendency is glitched and does not work

It works, you just didn't know that when you're online the average tendency of all characters affects the world tendency. It's not a good mechanic, but it isn't "glitched." You might wanna check that definition.

levels are mostly misses

This is objectively false. It doesn't even pay to discuss it with you.

combat is completely inferior

Well no shit, it came out 8 years ago, and they've had 4 games to improve upon it. If it weren't the worst, From obviously fucked up horribly somewhere along the line now didn't they?

I do not assign praise for being the first souls game

Because you played it a month ago after playing 4 games that built upon its foundation, so your opinion on the game is skewed.

BB has the 2nd best bosses on average in this series. It goes DS3 > BB> DS1 > DS2 > DES for base game bosses. If anything is overrated, it's the criticism that "r1 spam" gets whenever anyone talks about th

DS3 has like 5 good bosses. Dancer, Nameless, Sulyvahn, Prince Bros and Aldrich. It has just as many shitty gimmick bosses as Demons' Souls, like Wolnir, Ballsack Tree, Ancient Wyvern, and Yhorm. Most of the large beasties are still shit like Vordt, and Oceiros. Dragonslayer Armor was generic as fuck. I don't get the love Champion Gundyr gets, dude was just another heavy armored goliath that you circle strafe and hit once when he has an opening. Or parry if you know the timing.

sullynathan

Arcane
This is objectively false. It doesn't even pay to discuss it with you.
Demons Souls has 5 worlds, with 2 standout ones. If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine.

It works, you just didn't know that when you're online the average tendency of all characters affects the world tendency. It's not a good mechanic, but it isn't "glitched." You might wanna check that definition.
No, it is fucking glitched and I have expressed this in the demons souls thread. Get full white world tendency for 3 playthroughs straight, with no interference in my internet connection, no quitting at all and characters that were supposed to show up won't show up. Clearly FROM software didn't think things through when they implemented such a system.

Well no shit, it came out 8 years ago, and they've had 4 games to improve upon it. If it weren't the worst, From obviously fucked up horribly somewhere along the line now didn't they?
Some people here actually think it isn't the worst.

Because you played it a month ago after playing 4 games that built upon its foundation, so your opinion on the game is skewed.
doesn't matter. Dark Souls still held up well and it wasn't even my first souls game.

DS3 has like 5 good bosses. Dancer, Nameless, Sulyvahn, Prince Bros and Aldrich. It has just as many shitty gimmick bosses as Demons' Souls, like Wolnir, Ballsack Tree, Ancient Wyvern, and Yhorm. Most of the large beasties are still shit like Vordt, and Oceiros. Dragonslayer Armor was generic as fuck. I don't get the love Champion Gundyr gets, dude was just another heavy armored goliath that you circle strafe and hit once when he has an opening. Or parry if you know the timing.
I'm way ahead of you here, I already know which bosses are good in this series and which ones aren't. The gimmick bosses in Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne and Souls 3 are better than the gimmick bosses in Demons Souls anyway. Yhorm is better than the stupid storm king. He's more direct, he does not get a ridiculous HP bloat in NG+ and onwards, he doesn't only get hit when he flies in your face and he isn't plagued with stupid hitboxes, plus you can actually beat him in melee.

Aldritch isn't even one of the best bosses in souls 3. There is no other boss like Dragonslayer armor, he's a well rounded boss. Another great thing that Souls 3, bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 DLC did is that all three have bosses that work well in co-op and they don't break when you have more than one person fighting a boss.

You're lying if you're wasting your time circle strafing Champion gundyr. He like many other bosses post Dark Souls 2 have counters to circle strafing.
Dragonslayer armor is a perfect boss, with little flaws. He's one of the best armored bosses in the series.
Lets not even start with large beasts, Dark Souls 3 has the best large beast boss in the series, the Old Demon King. He's what the other demon bosses in the previous souls games wish they were.

Demon's Souls
  • Penetrator
  • Old King Allant
  • Flamelurker
Dark Souls
  • Chaos Witch Quelaag
  • Ornstein and Smough
  • Artorias the Abysswalker
  • Manus, Father of the Abyss
  • Sanctuary Guardian
  • Bell Gargoyles
  • Black Dragon Kalameet
DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin
  • The Pursuer
  • Smelter Demon
  • Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon
  • Fume Knight
  • Burnt Ivory King
Bloodborne
  • Shadow of Yharnam
  • Martyr Logarius
  • Father Gascoigne
  • Ebrietas, Daughter of The Cosmos
  • Gehrman, The First Hunter
  • Mergo's Wet Nurse
  • Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen
DARK SOULS III
  • Old Demon King
  • Dragonslayer Armour
  • Champion Gundyr
  • Lothric, Younger Prince and Lorian, Elder Prince
  • Nameless King
  • Soul of Cinder

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Lol, that was my comeback - if he shits on From for DeS combat being the worst in the series what would he say if it was actually the best. But then I didn't bother.

sullynathan

Arcane

Well no shit, it came out 8 years ago, and they've had 4 games to improve upon it. If it weren't the worst, From obviously fucked up horribly somewhere along the line now didn't they?/QUOTE]

Lol, that was my comeback - if he shits on From fo DeS combat being the worst in the series what would he say if it was actually the best. But then I didn't bother.
I'm not trying to shit on Demons Souls for having the worst combat, just saying it does.

Demon's Souls combat is better than Dark 1 and 2, but all of them have great combat and only Nioh and Dragon's Dogma are comparable in the genre, so you can't really dismiss any of the games for having bad combat.

Demon's Souls combat is better than Dark 1 and 2, but all of them have great combat and only Nioh and Dragon's Dogma are comparable in the genre, so you can't really dismiss any of the games for having bad combat.
Elaborate please. You say that due to the bigger weight/inertia?

Dark Souls 1 feels slow compared to Demon's; Dark Souls 2 feels slower and on top of that, clunkier.

It's also nice to see in this video how great the bloom effect was in Demon's Souls, gave such an atmosphere boost, Dark Souls 2 is just so sterile and unapealing.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
Elaborate please. You say that due to the bigger weight/inertia?

Dark Souls 1 feels slow compared to Demon's; Dark Souls 2 feels slower and on top of that, clunkier.

It's also nice to see in this video how great the bloom effect was in Demon's Souls, gave such an atmosphere boost, Dark Souls 2 is just so sterile and unapealing.

lol. so your argument for "has better combat" is "feels faster". goddamn you're a first class moron

not only is the online aspect better, the netcode better (still crap but better), the slower pace actually improved the combat because the Souls combat system is at it's best when you have to think not just spam (dare i say it... it's more tactical), the weapon balance in general is leagues ahead in DS1 and particularly DS2, the weapon diversity is from another planet, the spells are much, much better, the movement is more precise, there are less exploits, and the ones that are there are less retarded, there is no shitty hyperarmour (although poise in DS1 sucked almost as much. almost), armor matters, the healing system is infinitely better (particularly DS2), it's (just enough) more complex and interesting as there's more going on and there are more possibilities and combos so you have to think about more stuff, the hitboxes have improved...

sure high level PvP in DS1 is still a backstab game, but DeS is just as much of a backstabfest if not more. DS1 and 2 in particular are so ahead of DeS mechanically in every possible way it's not even amusing, regardless of your fanboy feels, lol

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So I finally resumed DaS3 yesterday after taking a break for a few days because I wasn't home. I went through the profaned capital, was disappointed that they used texture swapped enemies as soon as the next area after the dungeon (in the dungeon they had black robes, in the profaned dungeon they had white). Also was disappointed with how tiny and redundant the area felt and how blah Yhorm was. The Storm Ruler reference felt forced and out of place and even if you remove that element the fight itself is pretty lame as there's nothing particularly special about Yhorm and his move set. I also killed Pontiff Sulyvahn. This may be the first time a boss fight managed to entertain me in DaS3. After that I made my way to Anor Londo and was hit with even more laziness from the developers. The game is just making references for the sake of having references, and isn't concerned at trying to make any attempts at having clever level design. Just "hurr let's stick 3 archers instead of 1", and even then it's still easier than the DaS1 archer segment.

Overall my impression with DaS3 went from shock to disgust and now to apathy. The game is just.. it's shit.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I popped into this thread to see what the situation with this game was, but you guys are providing so many conflicting opinions i think you are all talking shit. "Miyazaki is an overrated hack" "No, he made all the best Souls games" "Demon Soul was a pile of shit" "Fuck you it was the best Souls game ever" "Dark Souls 3 is boring as fuck" "Dark Souls 3 is totally better than Dark Souls 2" "Fuck you Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game ever".

And that's just in the last fucking page.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Well, what's your stance on it? Even if DSIII was a garbage fire, it'd still be a pretty standout game if it wasn't for the legacy.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Can we find some common ground and agree that the DLC for all 3 are better than any of the vanilla games?

Arnust

Savant
Hmmmm... I tend to find DSIII's DLC not much more than a little bandaid in the bleeding wound. They aren't as balanced as the others (one is basically charging for 1.5x the Painted World) and don't offer much new instead of refrying the Old with varying degrees of sucess.
What I mean is that the base game is under average, sure then all the DLC are better.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I popped into this thread to see what the situation with this game was, but you guys are providing so many conflicting opinions i think you are all talking shit. "Miyazaki is an overrated hack" "No, he made all the game Souls games" "Demon Soul was a pile of shit" "Fuck you it was the best Souls game ever" "Dark Souls 3 is boring as fuck" "Dark Souls 3 is totally better than Dark Souls 2" "Fuck you Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game ever".

And that's just in the last fucking page.

We've entered the Fallout fanboy phase.

"no u guys, you CAN'T beat fallout 1 without combat! you gotta fight the rats!"

"fallout 2 was always shit"

"fallout 3 is actually ok but mostly due to the dlc"

"dude you fucking faggot fallout 1 was the best!"

"hey guys they all come from wasteland fucking cunts"

"I LOVE NEW VEGAS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Silva

Arcane
What are your favorite levels in the series, bros? For me:

DeS: Tower of Latria
DaS: Blightown
DaS2: Majula (lol)
BB: Upper Cathedral
DaS3: Undead Settlement

lol. so your argument for "has better combat" is "feels faster". goddamn you're a first class moron

not only is the online aspect better, the netcode better (still crap but better), the slower pace actually improved the combat because the Souls combat system is at it's best when you have to think not just spam (dare i say it... it's more tactical), the weapon balance in general is leagues ahead in DS1 and particularly DS2, the weapon diversity is from another planet, the spells are much, much better, the movement is more precise, there are less exploits, and the ones that are there are less retarded, there is no shitty hyperarmour (although poise in DS1 sucked almost as much. almost), armor matters, the healing system is infinitely better (particularly DS2), it's (just enough) more complex and interesting as there's more going on and there are more possibilities and combos so you have to think about more stuff, the hitboxes have improved...

sure high level PvP in DS1 is still a backstab game, but DeS is just as much of a backstabfest if not more. DS1 and 2 in particular are so ahead of DeS mechanically in every possible way it's not even amusing, regardless of your fanboy feels, lol

You're the moron here, Ninja Gaiden is 100x faster than any Souls and still tactical as fuck, now because Dark Souls feels a bit slower it is TACTICAL :lol:

No, it is not, it's as tactical as DeS, just a bit more sluggish, still fine, but DeS is the sweet spot for this kind of combat, it feels better, therefore, DeS is better.

And doesn't matter the amount of options Dark Souls 2 offers if the animations are much worse to begin with. Finally, i couldn't care less about PVP, worst aspect of the Souls series, it only serves to attract the retarded, go play a fighting game if you want proper PVP ffs.

The game is just making references for the sake of having references

You just defined Dark Souls 3

Arnust

Savant
And doesn't matter the amount of options Dark Souls 2 offers if the animations are much worse to begin with.
You know, I don't think that you have understood the concept of "variety"

Was playing it yesterday- and I don't know what the hell are you on about. If anything DeS is Dark Souls III's Alpha version.

On the areas, no DLC:

DeS: Shrine of Storms, closely followed by Boletaria
DS1: New Londo
DS2: Dragon Aerie + Shrine + Memories (basically the same place)
BB: Haven't played it
DS3: I'd say... the Untended Graves. Becouse it's a new thing for once in that game.

DeS: Like all them equally for different reasons, except Stonefang Tunnel.
DaS: Whole segment until Sen Fortress.
DaS2: Dragon Aerie.
DaS3: Can't remember one standout moment.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What are your favorite levels in the series, bros?

DeS (just from videos) - Tower of Latria, hands down (other areas are pretty solid too)
BB (from videos) - nothing really stands out as terrible or great, the DLC was probably the best designed
DS1 - pretty much the entire game except Demon Ruins and Izalith
DS2 - eh, I kindda liked the entire game tbh with a few exceptions (invisible forest, Bastille, Sinner's Rise); the DLCs are outstanding but Dragon Aerie remains my favourite location in the series
DS3 - nothing, it's all shit...ok Undead City, Irithyl Dungeon, Archdragon Peak and Ariandel are ok, haven't played Ringed City yet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom