Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your personal top ten

SumDrunkGuy

In no real order...

Resident Evil Remake

Resident Evil 4

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 3

Metroid Prime

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Dark Souls 2

Bloodborne

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3

Yeah, somethin like that I guess. These days I kind of just hate everything that isn't a From Software title. Xtreme 3 gets a pass because I'm a horny sex pervert.

Vibalist

Arcane
15. Diablo 2 - I played this game to death as a kid. Nowadays I couldn't play it for more than 3 hours before getting tired of it, but it deserves a spot for nostalgic reasons.

14. Might and Magic 7 -
I have nothing but fond memories of playing Might and Magic 7. It was my first and only M&M game and I must have spent hundreds of hours on it.

13. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 -
Nostalgic memories of playing this with a childhood friend where we sat next to each other. I hear it still holds up, but it's mostly here because of the memories I associate with it.

12. Metal Gear Solid 1 - It's silly, over the top, the gameplay is kind of meh, but back when I played this for the first time as a child it just left such a huge impression on me. I remember being scared out of my mind of Psycho Mantis, for some reason. For its time it was really amazing how good the voice work and cinematics were.

11. Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast - I remember feeling totally crushed when I bought this as a kid and my PC couldn't run it. After upgrading I played it over and over. The first 6-7 levels were a drag, but after gaining Jedi powers I fucking loved it. Multiplayer was a blast, too.

10. GTA: San Andreas - I fucking loved this game as a kid. Wearing gang colors, dressing up your character, modifying your cars. Getting chased by billions of police cars and helicopters across a huge gameworld. All the silly side activities. The music. This is how you do sandbox games.

9. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - This is just a really good stealth game. Is it a bit too linear compared to Thief? Yes, but it still holds a place in my heart because the experience as a whole was really fun. The levels had you doing something different all the time, the challenges kept escalating and you can pull off some really cool moves. Blacklist was a good game too, but it didn't have Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher. They replaced him with some all american moody anti hero/renegade Shepard type, which is a sin against humanity. Chaos Theory is where it's at. Graphically it holds up rather well, too.

8. Hotline Miami - Brutally difficult and fun. The soundtrack was in constant rotation in my headhphones for six months after playing it. The Assault level was the perfect mixture of gameplay and epic music.

7. Grim Fandango - I played this game before I even had a basic grasp of the english language, and I was still completely absorbed by it. My mother sat next to me and translated everything. I was utterly drawn in by the noir style, the characters, the music. I returned to it recently and wasn't let down by it. It's a wonderful adventure game.

6. Dishonored - I happen to think this is one of the best modern versions of the Deus Ex formula. Finally someone got it the level design right. The lore deserves a mention too. It's really rich and detailed and makes you feel as if you're in the game. Too bad the characters are flat and boring. Worst case of misused A-list actors in a videogame since Oblivion.

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum - Just the perfect Batman simulator. The atmosphere and voice work is spot on and takes me back to the days of The Animated Series. The gameplay is simple, but manages to be enjoyable nonetheless.

4. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - This is the best FPS I've ever played. It has something to do with how the gameplay switches up constantly. One moment you're sneaking, then you're shooting, then you're interacting with NPC's, then you're controlling a huge mech, and so on. Most impressive of all, none of these mechanics feel half assed. The gameworld itself is perfectly realized and is probably the best iteration of the Riddick universe to date (which doesn't say much, admittedly).

3. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - This game was excellent. Whoever wrote the dialogue must have been replaced later on, because its two sequels were absolutely horrific in the writing department in comparison. This game was an adventure. Using the sand powers as a 'reset' button when you fucked up kept the platforming from being too frustrating, but it was still hard enough that you didn't feel patronized by the game. It was a good mixture of streamlining and difficulty, something they managed to ruin in the 2008 version.

2. Deus Ex - Do I need to explain this one? I was about to not include it, as it is already in the Codex's 'regular' top 15, but there was no rule against it, so here it is.

1. Hitman: Blood Money - This is my favorite game of all time. I've clocked in about 90 hours according to Steam. It's just the perfect game and the only thing that comes close is the new iteration.

Last edited:

Walden

Savant
In no real order...

Resident Evil Remake

Resident Evil 4

Silent Hill 2

Silent Hill 3

Metroid Prime

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Dark Souls 2

Bloodborne

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3

Yeah, somethin like that I guess. These days I kind of just hate everything that isn't a From Software title. Xtreme 3 gets a pass because I'm a horny sex pervert.
Dude do you even pc?

Goromorg

Savant
1. Path of Exile.
2. Legend of Grimrock.
3. Voidspire Tactics.
4. Underrail.
5. Tribes: Ascend.
6. Dark Messiah.
7. Serpent in the Staglands.
8. Xenonauts.
9. Solitaire.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
1. Planescape Torment
2. Arcanum
3. Bloodborne
4. Silent Hill 2
5. Fallout
6. VtMB
7. Final Fantasy 9
8. Morrowind
9. HoMM 3
10. Monkey Island 2

Bonus

1. Icewind Dale
2. Septerra Core
3. Tekken 3
4. Shadow Hearts
5. Resident Evil 2

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
In no particular order :

1. Distant Worlds : Universe - fantastic space strategy game with challenging AI once mod installed

2. Supreme Commander - successor of Total Annihilation

3. Alpha Centauri - a game that made you think for a change

4. Company of Heroes 1 - a significant revolution in RTS

5. Team Fortress Classic - nostalgia

6. Crusader Kings 2 - before the DLC madness - made me interested in medieval history, enough said

7. Hearts of Iron 3 - the last good Hearts of Iron game despite flaws

8. Sim City 2000 - a classic

9. SOMA - the only first person horror game I finished and made me think

10. Steel Panthers - the best WWII game in my opinion; loved spending hours just looking at the encyclopedia

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not in any order, because orders are retarded.

1. Starcraft 1 and Brood War - Starcraft has and will always have a special place in my heart. I discovered it at a reasonably young age (10 or 11), and the experience of playing it, the story, the multiplayer, the graphics, sounds, cinematics, everything just came together and felt great. It was to me, the perfect game at the time. Also, it was a sci-fi game, and I've always been a huge sci-fi fanboy. I am pretty hyped about this new remake, so obviously I'm gonna play through the campaigns again and pick up multiplayer with my old friends.

2. Diablo 2 - I LOVED diablo 1, the ARPG genre always spoke to me, the grind, yet still somehow rewarding in and of itself. When Diablo 2 came out, and I remember being ectatic. I played THE SHIT out of it, and my entire time in high school basically consisted of playing D2 with friends, getting drunk, and going to a few exams n shit. The game was a perfect sequel, and it contained so much of what I love about the ARPG genre, and still does. MANY ARPGs have since come out, and some of them have been quite decent, but nothing holds a candle to the old formula that Diablo 2 brought. It basically became the go-to reference game, when making ARPGs.

3. Half-Life 1 - Boy, this was major. I remember being reasonably hyped about this game, reading about it in magazines (when people still did that LOL) and just loving when I read. When I finally played it, it really was a novel experience at the time. It had interesting designs, story, gameplay, and also the multiplayer was cool with ALOT Of mods that sprung out of it (CS and so on). It marked the beginning of an entire era of new games in that vein.

4. Command & Conquer 1 and Red Alert - Before Starcraft, the supreme king of rts was the C&C and red alert games. EVERYBODY played it, and everybody loved it. It was the grandfather of all the new rts' to come. It was so new and different, and had that basic formula down, that it was a blast to play through and kill your friends in multiplayer.

5. Quake 1, 2 and 3 - I've never been a huge FPS geek and multiplayer at that, but the first 3 quake games, especially the first ones, really blew me away. I've spent hours on end on these games, both in single and multiplayer, and it just was a perfect mix of a good fps game.

6. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - The best of the series to date. Simply a perfect game from the genres standpoint, and it still plays fresh today. I remember putting hours into this game, and at LAN parties, people would play this and have a great time.

7. Resident Evil 1 and 2 - I've been a huge survival horror fan for years. And nothing beats the resident evil 1 and 2 games. I loved the RE1 remake, and I'm looking forward to the supposed RE2 remake, aswell. The games capture the essence of true survival game combined with horror elements and story. Really a thrill to play back in the day and still is.

8. DOTA 1 - I'm a pretty big MOBA fan, and I've played lots of dota 1 back in the day. Nowadays it's Heroes of the Storm, but nothing beat that experience of first playing dota 1. The MOBA genre has evolved alot since, but the basic formula is mostly the same.

9. Hearthstone - Simply a great card game, and a game I still play hours on end today.

10. Deus ex 1 - This game was simply great. I loved the sci-fi elements combined with a strong story. The gameplay was superb for its time and still is.

11. GTA 1, 2, 3, vice vity and so on... - What's not to love about the GTA series? From the first installments that were top-down, which I spent HOURS on in single and multiplayer, to the newer ones that evolve the genre. I played

12. Dark Age of Camelot - Simply the best MMORPG to ever exist. It had and still has the best PvP MMORPG experience ever created, the most complex and unique gameplay. Many have tried and failed to replicate the good PvP combat from DAOC. World of Warcraft was also good, but it was a wholly different experience alltogether.

13. Hitman series - Ever since Hitman 1, I've been an avid fan of the genre. Playing as a stealthy hitman is pretty damn cool. Excuting somebody and the slipping away unnoticed is wet dream come true. Great games, with blood money being the high point and also the new hitman 7 being pretty damn good. Absolution being the low point.

14. Vampire: Bloodlines - What's not to like about this game? It had a cool story, fleshed out characters, a cool unique rpg system and great writing. Its one of the codex' favourites and with good reason. Overall super good rpg.

15. STASIS, Monkey Island 1, 2 and 3, Day of the tentacle, full throttle, indiana jones and fate of atlantis, the dig, leisure suit larry series and so on... - I LOVE adventure games. I could make an exclusive top 20 adventure game alone, so I decided just to include most of the best in this one. There's countless others whom I won't mention, but can talk about in PMs with people. The ones mentioned here, are simply just great.

16. Theme Park and Theme Hospital - Great fun games that introduced me to simulators of all kinds. Park and hospital management was fun back then and still is.

17. Syndicate and Syndicate Wars - I. LOVE. THESE. GAMES. Simply put, syndicate and syndicate wars was the embodiment of everything I loved at that time. Great fast action, cool sci-fi story and elements, great gameplay and unique choices. It felt great running around with your specially thought-out agents and complete missions for weird and big corporations. The new game, sattelite reign, was a sadly big disappointment, however.

18. Jagged Alliance 2 - Super great turn-based game. It was one of the first games that really got me into tactical turn-based gaming.

19. Aliens vs Predator 1 + 2 + expansions - I love Alien and predator universes, and a game that combined all these things got me hyped. I played these games for hours on end in single and multiplayer and it is still great fun. Newer installments disappointed, and so did all the films, but these games were great.

20. Alien Isolation - A return to survival horror roots, and in the alien universe at that. Simply one of the best survival horror games to come out in the past decades. It was a thrill to play.

7h30n

Augur
I doubt I can give you top ten, but for the long time my top list is like this:

1. UFO: Enemy Unknown (1994) - The original X-Com (baby). I love strategy games, I love aliens. This one has the perfect mix of horror, cheesiness and strategy. Need I say more?
2. Prince of Persia (1989) - Although I consider Sands of Time remake to be a real piece of art, this game is the one that started my love for computers and video games. Purely nostalgic reasons on top of an excellent platformer.
3. Deus Ex (2000) & Metal Gear Solid (1998) - Besides strategy and aliens, I've always been a fan of James Bond movies as well as SF. These were the first games I played that gave me that spy theme packaged with incredible story and setting. (I'd say MGS3 is better than the original, but still that one was the first.)

zool

Arcane
1. Jagged Alliance 2 (1999): a no-brainer for me, I've always considered JA2 to be the best game I've ever played. Great gameplay and excellent production value all-around (visuals, sound, portraits, ...) combined with a memorable atmosphere and an incredible attention to detail. An impeccable game and true piece of art with not one single weak point, which is rare enough to mention it.

2. Fallout 2 (1998): I played Fallout 2 before Fallout 1, so maybe that's why it's got a special place in my heart. I was absolutely entranced by the beginning and that great tribal music, I loved that feeling of relief when you first come upon Vault City (aaah at least some green grass and civilization) and I enjoyed playing out the three-sided rivalry between Vault City, NCR and Redding.

3. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (2004): if I had to make a top 3, the third game would be the hardest one to choose after JA2 and Fallout 2 but I think VtMB would win the lot thanks to its absolutey awesome atmosphere, art, voice-acting and music. Sure it's mostly linear and the combat is not very interesting but playing until you meet the next NPC and reach the next area is enough to keep you going - that's how awesome the atmosphere in the game is.

4. Baldur's Gate 2 (2000): like Fallout 2, I played it before BG 1 and I was blown away by the sheer scale of the game, lively companions and great areas to discover. A great, great D&D RPG, maybe the greatest that's ever been done.

5. Desperados : Wanted Dead or Alive (2001): superb Commandos-like game made by Spellbound, it probably has the most beautiful hand-drawn 2D maps in any game. In addition to that graphical goodness, solid gameplay, memorable characters, interesting story and beautiful between-missions movies all contributed to making it the best Commandos-style game.

6. Morrowind (2002): properly and lightly modded (i.e with lore-correct mods that add/improve dialogue and quests, combined with a true-to-the-original texture pack), Morrowind stands as of the most immersive walking simulators. Yes, it's not an RPG in the same vein than Fallout, VtMB or BG2 but it still is one hell of a game with an unforgettable atmosphere and lore.

7. Close Combat 2 : A Bridge Too Far (1997): played this one to death as a kid. Based on operation Market Garden, one of the most daring operations of WW2, its greatness comes from the interaction between the tactical level (i.e the individual battles you play) and the operational/strategic level available when you play the great campaign. Still the best CC games after all these years.

8. Fallout (1997): played it after Fallout 2 and a great game too like its older brother for the same reasons, though I missed those inter-cities quests from Fallout 2. I guess I would probably have liked it better than its sequel if I had played it first.

9. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (2007): getting points first and foremost for its original setting (when it came out), the devs managed to build a very interesting world around it and give it a great graphical feel (those ruined brick-walled plants...) and atmosphere. I still cry a little every time I think how much more awesome this game would have been if it had been developed as a first-person RPG with some FPS gameplay instead of as an FPS with (unfortunately much too) light RPG elements.

10. Crusader Kings (2004): completely broken gameplay even with the Deus Vut add-on but still so much fun : I love that dynasty-based gameplay as well as the overall graphical feel of the game (those medieval portaits...). Though CK2 has added a lot of features that I would love to see in CK (imprisoning people, betrothal, etc), I still haven't tried it due to not liking how it looked from the screenshots I saw (where are my medieval-looking portraits?) - the avalanche of DLCs didn't make it more attractive (why the fuck add India?).

So yeah, the 1997-2007 era was really the golden era as far as I'm concerned, especially its first half between 1997 and 2002 during which seven games ouf of my top 10 came out.

Falksi

Arcane
It's interesting to read through these and seeing how many more "obscure" games get praised & included. Good stuff

WhiteGuts

Arcane
VTMB : A fucking masterpiece. Ambiance and writing almost unmatched to this day.
Deus Ex : A fantastic journey. The most amazing thing about this game is that its individual parts are so underwhelming when looked at separately, but combined it's one of the best games ever made.
Fallout : So original I know.
New Vegas : Same.
Witcher 3 : That's why the "almost" was there when I was talking about VTMB. Amazing writing and quest design, god bless potatos.
Dishonored : Good stealth game.
ALPHA PROTOCOL
Arcanum
Crusader Kings 2 : the best non-rpg rpg game game
Okami : What can I say about this game. It's a fucking marvel. I love it.

The list could go on but these are the ones that immediately come to mind (in no particular order).

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
1. Deus Ex.
2. Deus Ex.
3. Deus Ex.
4. Deus Ex.
5. Deus Ex.
6. Deus Ex.
7. Deus Ex.
8. Deus Ex.
9. Deus Ex.
10. Deus Ex.

Ok, I'll take it seriously.

1. Deus Ex.
2. Ultima 7.
3. Wizardry series.
4. 688 attack sub.
5. f19 stealth fighter.
6. Gold box series.
7. Wolfpack.
8. Fallout II.
9. SMAC.
10. Secret weapons of the luftwaffe.

Why would you include Dishonored and none of the Thief games? Especially when your reason for including Dishonored is its stealth gameplay, which is absolute garbage compared to Thief.

10 - Nier
9 - Bayonetta
8 - Portal 2
7 - Metal Gear Solid
6 - The Last of Us
5 - Ninja Gaiden Black
4 - Dark Souls
3 - Super Metroid
2 - Demon's Souls
1 - Red Dead Redemption

I'd say MGS3 is better than the original

Not even close, MGS3 is a retarded game.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
01. Planescape: Torment - 1999

By far game where i spend the least amount of time from list and probably least replayed like 2-3 times. But all of those play troughs were amazing. No game since then captured me in this way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02. Path of Exile - 2013

In this place would be Diablo 2 but Path of Exile beat it in every sense. Both story and gameplay are better and mechanically is like lightyears ahead of D2 and i spent even more hours in that. Game was made by passionate D2 modders and it shows how they made improvements to every single aspect of D2. Only thing D2 has better is amazing soundtrack.

03. EarthSiege 2 - 1995

Imo best mech game with best campaign. Weapon/Mech R&D also is tied to gear you scavange on mission.
Game also plays like military simulator and not like game. So you for example have periods of like 5 minutes doing nothing but getting to next objective listening to amazing music.

04. Fallout 1 - 1997

My defo most replayed RPG. I spend months rerolling characters trying different builds etc.
Hounting soundtrack of Mike Morgan and desolate art style + amazing rpg mechanics made me appreciate post-apo settings.

05. Dwarf Fortress - ????

Administrating dwarf colony never was so unpredictable and amazing. Creating your perfect outpost/fortress/temple/whatever to watch it burn under bilions of various things that could happen is really fun.

06. Earth 2150 - 2000

3 Factions. Each play differently battling over scarce resources on planet which will blow up in finite amount of time. Before it blows up you need to gather resources and go into space. Earth 2150 is one of the first 3D RTS games but at the same time probably one of the most innovative and with really fucking good campaign. I mean in this game:

- you can build units from parts,
- have 3 different damage types EMP, normal and heat each doing separate damage
- you finish mission and your mission base isn't lost and still digs for resources while you do other mission.
- you have main base of operations from which you send units on a mission
- units gain experience and you can use same units through whole campaign, you can extract units after mission fix them and use them in next missions.
- units have both fuel and ammunition which needs to be restocked
- you can actually dig tunnels and use tunnels to assault enemy base
- find artifacts underground which then you can use for multiple missions
- multi camera support even between missions ! Yup you can make yourself HQ camera, mission HQ camera and then one more for actual combat or some outpost and you can manage everything from each camera.
- you can finish game early as long as you preserve resources so you win because of your skill in management and not just because well you beat all missions.
- finite amount of time where you can beat game
- 3 factions that are really really really different in how they work.
- terraform land creating natural obstacles for units.

07. Demon's Souls - 2009

Dark Souls is basically direct copy of Demon's Souls without amazing oppressive atmosphere of Demon's.
If you played first Demon's Souls and then Dark Souls, DaS wasn't that amazing. Playing Demon's as first is blessing as
you can see basically everything from it reused in later DaS games.

08. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - 1999

I liked 2 but 3rd is the one that i spend literally years playing it with friends in hot seat mode or by lan. I spend probably even more in awesome editor creating maps and different scenarios. The fucking music...

09. Dark Colony - 1997

Fucking great RTS. It isn't big or well known but i had serious amount of fun from it and campaign is freaking great.
Spend shitload of time playing LAN parties.

10. Enemy Engaged : Apache vs Havoc - 1998

Apache/Havok simulator. I still blows my mind that someone could release game that you need CTR+ALT+SHIFT+somekey to switch on/off certain helicopter features. Got joystick especially for it and some sort of tablet like thing that you could use to switch on/off heli. options. Campaign playing with 100s of tanks and shit in real time also was amazing to look at.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In no particular order, the 10 games which come to mind when I'm talking about my favourites:

Thief - The Dark Project
One of the best games ever made. The atmosphere, the artstlye, music, audio, and one of the best stealth gameplay ever.

Thief 2 - The Metal Age
Same as Thief 1 on almost every level. The reason why I like it a bit less than T1 is the last few levels, which are a bit of a chore IMO.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Fantastic mindfuck story, great graphics on the PS2, and a lot of ways to advance in missons. Is there any other game where you can frighten a guard until he passes out?

Majesty - The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
I just fucking love this game. It is not a deep simulation, but it is one of the most charming game ever. Nice artstlye, unique gameplay.

Might and Magic VI
To be honest, I have never finished it, but every time I play it I'm just having a lot of fun. That music at the very beginning, the dungeons, all those secrets this game has to offer, fantastic. Give MM6-7 or even 8 before any recent Elder Scrolls games.

Baldur's Gate
Say whatever you want, but this game has great atmosphere, intriquing story, solid D&D gameplay and great graphics. The only reason I'm not putting BG2 here is because I like low level adventuring a little more, and BG2 was maybe a little too big for its own good.

Anno 1404 Gold Edition
Best Anno game period. It is set in a great timeperiod, the gameplay is perfected without the dumbing down of the later games and of course the atmoshpere is top notch.

Freespace 2
Men, this game is so fucking amazing. Arcade space combat at its best. FS1 was also very good, but this takes it to another new level. The sound effects, the music, the missions, the ships, they all make an exerience which is unique in the space combat genre.

Gothic 2
Open world RPG done right. I'm always saying that I usually hate open world games because they are too big, the devs try to make it as big as possible just for the sake of making it big. But Gothic 2 (and 1 also) hits the sweetspot perfectly. The gameworld is just big enough to offer a lot of great adventures, without getting boring in the long run. Tense battles, great world, several distinct factions, G2 has it all. And G2 also has maybe the best night skybox to this day.

Jagged Alliance 2
One of the best turned based tactical games, with lots of characters, rpg elements. It has gun porn, deep and tactical combat which can fuck you in the ass if you are not good enough.

I could probably list a lot more, but if I want to recall my best gaming experiences, these are the ones which come to my mind immediately.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm a man of the classics:

Pokemon Gold/Silver
Monster Hunter
Jump Ultimate Stars
Sangokushi Taisen Ten
Half Life 2
King of Fighters 98
Ultra Street Fighter 4
DOTA
Dark Souls
Shadow of the Colossus

Mentions of honor:
Spacechem, probably Shenzhen I/O had I not forced myself not to play it
Warioland 2
Super Mario vs Donkey Kong
Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden/Revengeance
To the Moon
Binding of Isaac
Link's Awakening
Labyrinth of Touhou 2
Lufia 2
UT99
Heroes V or Civ IV FFH2 Modmods

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

No particular order.

Doom 1, 2, 3 - Yeah, I liked Doom 3, especially with the RoE expansion. I never got the hate for it and think it was way better than most of the other stuff released at the time. It was a sensible "modernisation" of the old games without being as ground-breaking. I'm pretty sure most people who hate it never made it past the Alpha Labs. NuDoom sucks though.
Quake 1, 3 - The original for the great singleplayer, 3 for the multiplayer (obviously). Especially duel and defrag. 3 is the game I played the most over the years. Didn't like 2 and 4. Quake Champions is decline.
Starcraft: Broodwar - Great campaign and one of the most fun to watch esports-titles (probably due to the high skill-ceiling and near-perfect balance).
Trackmania Nations/United Forever - The epitome of "easy to learn - hard to master". Best competitive racing game.
Guild Wars - Loved the build variety and how many builds turned out to be viable in PvE and how many things the system allowed you to do. Also had fun PvP modes for casual as well as competitive people. Unbelievable how shitty Guild Wars 2 turned out while having such a good predecessor...
Sim City 4 - Still my favourite City Builder by a mile.
Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 - Hated this when I first tried it, because I thought it must be part of the overhyped decline. A couple of years later I realised how wrong I had been, and that in an age of serious decline this was one bold, shining example of how some developers are still capable of making games. Great games even. I like all three of them, 1 and 2 more than 3 though.
Dragon's Dogma - really not one of the best games ever imo, but in the wasteland that is today's gaming market, it's a gem.
Super Mario World - There are people who compare Ori to this. :|
Resident Evil 1, DC, 2, Zero, Remake - The pre-rendered graphics with fixed camera are what made this series so great. I'd like to see a game made like this again, with a great budget and devs who know what they're doing. Probably not going to happen.

Some shmups...
DonPachi, DoDonPachi, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
Batsugun
Tatsujin Oh/Truxton 2
Ketsui
Mushihimesama Futari

...and honourable mentions:
GTA Vice City and San Andreas
Silent Hill 1, 2, 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Twisted Metal 2
Exhumed/PowerSlave
Warcraft 2
Lemmings
Turrican 2
Worms
Chaos Engine
Cannon Fodder
Rune
American McGee's Alice

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
1 - Final Fantasy IX
2 - Vagrant Story
3 - Final Fantasy VII
4 - Final Fantasy XII
5 - Final Fantasy X
6 - Final Fantasy VI
7. Grand Thef Auto V
8. Gran Turismo 6
9 - Fallout: New Vegas
10 - FIFA 14.

So it's been 8 months since I made that list. I should update it like so:

- Chrono Trigger
- Planescape: Torment
- Vagrant Story
- Final Fantasy IX
- Gothic
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Dark Souls
- Grand Theft Auto V

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sigourn GTA V, but no Final Fantasy I? I am disappoint.

Final Fantasy I a shit. SHIT.

It's extremely grindy. I do plan on playing the PSX re-release, though, which keeps the original's Vancian magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom