Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A vote thread: Testing out a new way to generate an acceptable list of best RPGs

Which RPGs have you played of 2003's crop?

• Dues Ex: Invisible War

Votes: 40 33.9%
  • Devil Whiskey

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • The Elder Scrolls 3: Bloodmoon

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Geneforge 2

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Gothic 2: Night of the Raven

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • Grom: Terror in Tibet !

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • Mistmare

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Neverwinter Nights 1: Hordes of the Underdark

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Neverwinter Nights 1: Shadows of the Undrentide

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • Silent Storm

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Votes: 86 72.9%
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil

Votes: 85 72.0%
  • Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Spellforce 1

Votes: 24 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
This is an attempt to establish a list of codex highly recommended RPGs.

felipepepe 's lists are great and they serve their purpose. However, they are both old and generate a lot of controversy. This is an attempt to remodel the method of establishing greatness via a less cumbersome and convoluted but more time consuming and laborious system.

At this point in time I shan't divulge the exact details of how this system works, as this is simply the first phase of a test run to see if this method looks like it could be viable, and because its at this point that some of the rules will need to be established and agreed upon anyway.

2003 has been chosen as the test year as this falls in the middle, time-wise, between the 80s and now, and because its a year I'm more familiar with myself, and because I'm playing a game from 2003 ATM, and because the games of 2003 are likely to still interest dedicated old-only gamers while also having some appeal to modern-only gamers. Its also a year with a relatively short list, enabling the test to be completed in one singular poll rather than separated into two confusing polls, which would be right confusing when at the stage when no-one has a clue WTF is going on.

So...

Phase 1: At this point in time it is not a matter of choosing what's best, it's a matter of finding out if anyone's actually played these games.

Please vote for which PC RPGs that were initially released in 2003 that you have played at some point in your life. Unlimited voting and you can change your vote if you still fuck up this simple process somehow.

Votes are not publicly visible, so no fear of shaming if you've played something you feel is embarrassing for whatever reason but you are free to look at the current vote totals without voting, you know, cos people could just vote to look them change their vote anyway. No king komrade cos it's pointless in this situation, you've either played some of the games or you haven't.

Definition of played: You gave it your best shot, at least a good few hours, before something prevented you from completing it. For example, loading it up and it not working either immediately or after a few minutes does not count as having played it.

Some rules that might need establishing:

1. This is just part of the PC section. Games that were released as console games in 2003 but later ported to PC are not included. Is this the right way to go about things? For example: Tales of Symphonia was released in 2003 and got a Steam release in 2016, should it be on the list?

2. The list takes the original release date, not the USA release date. For example: Gothic 2 was released in Germany in 2002 but didn't get its English translation and release until 2003, so it's not on the list because it was factually released in 2002. Is this the correct way to do this?

3. Should games that were fully designed for consoles but later got a PC port even be included in any list of PC best games, or should they be permanently restricted to lists of console games? Further to this, should the list be even more pedantic and judge whether a release that is released on both PC and console at the same time is either one or the other or should they have their own hybrid lists? This is probably the most complex rule problem.

4. The list has not included any MMO or MOBA games. Is this a good idea?

5. Are there any versions of RPGs you feel shouldn't be on the lists? For example: Diablo and its clones or Rogue and its clones etc etc etc.

Please be sure to comment if you object extremely strongly to an entry on the list for reasons of category...

...But not for reasons of quality, at phase 1 anyway, that can come later...

Please be sure to comment if you feel an RPG has been left off the list, it will be at phase 1 when this info is needed, otherwise it will be permanently excluded...

...But please don't bother if you think no-one except you has probably played it and you thought it was a bit crap anyway.

Also, use the power of your rating privileges to 'vote' on ideas and suggestions by any commenters as those with the most ratings will be the ones that are given more credence.

The poll will be active for exactly one week at which point it'll be closed. I'll bump it each day regardless of there being any posts that day or not, entitled "daily bump reminder". Staff can also prosper or retardo at their leisure if they feel it's the best way to proceed.

tl:drs are written in bold above.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Cool initiative, I'm curious to see the results. Not sure listing expansions individually is a good idea though... but good luck. :salute:

Also, SpellForce 1 is from 2003. It's an RTS/RPG hybrid but I think it deserves its place.

Don Peste

Arcane
Thanks, but just by removing the arcade games (The Witcher, Alpha Protocol) you can get the acceptable list of RPGs.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Cool initiative, I'm curious to see the results. Not sure listing expansions individually is a good idea though... but good luck. :salute:

Also, SpellForce 1 is from 2003. It's an RTS/RPG hybrid but I think it deserves its place.

By some weird coincidence I had a poll which included Spellforce a few months back and barely anyone had played it, but I'll add it to the list for completeness, it's an excellent example of the kind of things I can miss as I'll be relying on my own shoddy research methods. Also, expansions are often better than the base game and, conversely, sometimes abominations, so it's more accurate to include them separately IMO, though I'll wait for another list to bring up DLC.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane

By some weird coincidence I had a poll which included Spellforce a few months back and barely anyone had played it, but I'll add it to the list for completeness, it's an excellent example of the kind of things I can miss as I'll be relying on my own shoddy research methods.
Of course! Remember Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, too.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

By some weird coincidence I had a poll which included Spellforce a few months back and barely anyone had played it, but I'll add it to the list for completeness, it's an excellent example of the kind of things I can miss as I'll be relying on my own shoddy research methods.

This game doesn't advertise itself as RPG in any way shape or form whereas Spellforce is a hybrid. If you therefore object to Spellforce being on the list then you'll have to say so and wait to see if you get many ratings is agreement or disagreement.

Don Peste

Arcane

This game doesn't advertise itself as RPG in any way shape or form whereas Spellforce is a hybrid. If you therefore object to Spellforce being on the list then you'll have to say so and wait to see if you get many ratings is agreement or disagreement.
You mean an RPG is a game that either advertises itself as such, or gets enough ratings? Informative.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

You mean an RPG is a game that either advertises itself as such, or gets enough ratings? Informative.

As I said in the OP, if you personally feel very strongly about something then make that claim and see what other people think. Of course number of ratings matter, if you're the only person who thinks something or if you're in an extreme minority then the game won't make the final list anyway, so it's just an exercise in wasting valuable oxygen. If you're just looking for an avenue to insert a what is an RPG debate then you're in the wrong thread cos whatever additional games you add to the list, Fallout etc will still be top recommendations, you're just tugging at the lower places for the sake of your own naval gazing ego. This system is about finding out what the codex as an institution generally recommends as the best examples of the genre and therefore is very much about majority voting, gauging to what extent other members of the site are like-minded; it's not necessarily about showcasing every possible angle the genre is capable of, such treasures are for people who dig further into the site than simply browsing the hot picks.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I sure played a lot more games almost 15 years ago. Even got most of them at full price.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Votes are not publicly visible
I want to know who likes which game. Whats more I want to know who dislikes what. Preferably extra option for neutrality.

I hope that your end result poll will have that to be actually different from felipepepe old list

Tough. Tough. Neutrality will be an option, though the wording is not decided upon yet. It might, it might not, hence the test.

pippin

I expected more votes for Silent Storm, especially in comparison with stuff like KOTOR. It's barely above DXIW right now. And then you have the same people complaining about that list made recently...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I expected more votes for Silent Storm, especially in comparison with stuff like KOTOR. It's barely above DXIW right now. And then you have the same people complaining about that list made recently...

I'm a bit surprised only 78/9 people have even voted at all...

Still, lots of days left for people to find out about the poll...?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
No moba
genre is AoS games GODDAMNIT:argh:

No mmo

Console ports should be fair game.

I don't know what you're trying to communicate here. Are you complaining that you can't vote for MOBAs and MMOs but agree console ports should be excluded or the opposite?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Is this a vote for played or endorsed? I've played Invisible War, Lionheart, and Spellforce but wouldn't recommend them.

It is a vote for played only. You simply mark which games you have played. A definition of 'played' is also in the OP (as is the answer to your question, but whatevs)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm getting a little bit concerned that people aren't taking this poll seriously...

In the random top 20 poll, 120+ people have claimed to play KOTOR2, but KOTOR1 on this poll is still languishing at a paltry 78.

Like wise, Gothic2 in that poll is at 99, so I find it hard to believe therefore that only 56 people have played its expansion.

And also likewise, in that poll 148 people have played Morrowind making it hard for me to imagine only 47 people have played that game's expansion.

Even the blobber poll is giving vast differences, with 18 people claiming to have played Devil Whiskey there but only 10 here.

Or do you think this is actually accurate and that poll includes large numbers of people who didn't get on too well with those games (though I don't see how that could work for KOTOR anyway)?

Perhaps some people could boast about what games they've played from this list for the remainder of this vote's duration to maybe add some more credibility to the list? Or maybe some kind of staff endorsement? Maybe argue about some rules?

Last edited:

pippin

Well, in the case of KOTOR it could be that people are more willing to play an Obsidian game rather than a Bioware one. When it comes to the expanions, well, it's content that can be avoided. Also, you might have to consider that not all people is voting on all polls... We can't really rule out the e-penis contest, even though I do have to wonder why games like Geneforge 2 or, in other polls, Drklands or Wizardry 7 receive so very few votes. Clearly the "hardcore" basis of the Codex has moved from mid eighties to early nineties from 1997 to 2004.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Ladies and gentlemen, you now have less than 24 hours to register 'played' points for the listed games:

qA0FikeMLcZE.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom